Latest on Caversham cinema

Norbert
Contributor

Latest on Caversham cinema

Post by Norbert »

Good news but I wish they'd get on with it.

https://ukpropertyforums.com/new-site-f ... am-cinema/
Mayfield

Re: Latest on Caversham cinema

Post by Mayfield »

I wonder where the gym and solicitors are going ?
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

There was a cinema there years ago, called The Regal (demolished). Plus one opposite, The Glendale (now a church).
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

buseng wrote: 03 Jun 2020 18:40 There was a cinema there years ago, called The Regal (demolished).
Which closed 62 years ago this coming Sunday after only 20 years in operation.
buseng wrote: 03 Jun 2020 18:40Plus one opposite, The Glendale (now a church).
Which closed 43 years ago tomorrow. Odd that the two cinemas closed in the same week 20 years apart.

Neither is really comparable to what's proposed. The Glendale seated over 500, and I think the Regal was bigger though I can't find any details. The new proposal is only 250 seats across three screens.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

But will it have the rows of seats that tip backwards if you’re not careful? And the woman who used to take your ticket, run round to show you to your seat and then come round in the intermission with the ice cream tray? 😊
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 03 Jun 2020 19:02 But will it have the rows of seats that tip backwards if you’re not careful? And the woman who used to take your ticket, run round to show you to your seat and then come round in the intermission with the ice cream tray? 😊
Ha! I doubt it. And no Pearl & Dean adverts either. And in the case of the Glendale, the projection and sounds won’t suddenly wind down, like a poorly clockwork toy :))
There's no such thing as a free lunch
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

I only remember the Regal as closed. My recollection of the Glendale was going to see a rerun of Gone With The Wind, with my mother and aunt, because my history teacher recommended and it was “A” rated, which is why they took me. I don’t think I was particularly impressed with it. On the face of it, a cinema seems like an improvement for the area, but is there sufficient demand?
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

What is proposed is a small lecture theatre not what I would call a cinema.

I looked after a 90 seat lecture theatre at the school where I worked and a 16mm projector was more than adequate, later replaced by a small video projector and smart board. Apart from science films, the one on sulphuric acid starring John Cleese was a masterpiece, I had been known to screen On The Buses and The Plank (made in Reading) etc.

I have enjoyed both the Regal and Glendale. The Glendale was privately run and showed the best films, as the manager always asked what you would like him to get in for the future. You just had to remember to take a brolly if there was a lot of rain, as the roof leaked.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

MickEdge wrote: 04 Jun 2020 07:24 I only remember the Regal as closed. My recollection of the Glendale was going to see a rerun of Gone With The Wind, with my mother and aunt, because my history teacher recommended and it was “A” rated, which is why they took me. I don’t think I was particularly impressed with it. On the face of it, a cinema seems like an improvement for the area, but is there sufficient demand?
Corr Mick, GWTW at the Glendale doesn’t really cut it! :)) certainly not a little (or big?) Boys film either maybe.... personally I love it - seen it numerous times! But at the Granby or Odeon.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

piwacket wrote: 04 Jun 2020 09:26 Corr Mick, GWTW at the Glendale doesn’t really cut it! :))
There is nothing wrong with GWTW.

I've stood on the corner of Peechtree Street and 13th Street in Atlanta where Margaret Mitchell was run down and killed by a drunken taxi driver in 1949. A sad loss, who knows what else she would have written if she had survived. By a bizarre twist of fate, she was actually on her way to the cinema to see A Canterbury Tale, which I had never heard of but which is apparently a British film loosely based on Chaucer and made in 1944 amidst the bomb sites of Canterbury.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

GWTW needs the big screen for best effect. I only remember the Regal late in its life as a fruit and veg cash and carry. I recall buying a crate of oranges. Frequented the Glendale a few times to be followed by fish and chips and a bus home - all for three shillings or something similar.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

chris_j_wood wrote: 04 Jun 2020 09:48
piwacket wrote: 04 Jun 2020 09:26 Corr Mick, GWTW at the Glendale doesn’t really cut it! :))
There is nothing wrong with GWTW.
I didn’t say there was! - quite the opposite... It was the inadequate venue (Glendale) I was commenting on :))
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

Bam wrote: 04 Jun 2020 09:25 What is proposed is a small lecture theatre not what I would call a cinema.
70-150 seats is normal for multiplex cinemas these days. Of the 11 screens at the Oracle (which is over 20 years old - newer cinemas are generally smaller) 6 have capacities under 150, with the smallest at only 41 people. Only one screen has a capacity over 250.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

All understood cnb. My experience of cinema is greatly outdated and with many homes now having mega sized TVs, I am not sure what the attraction of a mini cinema might be. Certainly not the awesome experience of the Odeon or Granby or Rex, in the days when many in Reading could only afford a radio.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

lizwing wrote: 03 Jun 2020 19:02 But will it have the rows of seats that tip backwards if you’re not careful? And the woman who used to take your ticket, run round to show you to your seat and then come round in the intermission with the ice cream tray? 😊
Ice cream? I imagine being Caversham, the staff will be endlessly shuttling back and forth with prosecco and vol au vents (or artisan flatbreads, for those with a more hipster taste in nibbles). 😉
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

cnb wrote: 04 Jun 2020 10:21
Bam wrote: 04 Jun 2020 09:25 What is proposed is a small lecture theatre not what I would call a cinema.
70-150 seats is normal for multiplex cinemas these days. Of the 11 screens at the Oracle (which is over 20 years old - newer cinemas are generally smaller) 6 have capacities under 150, with the smallest at only 41 people. Only one screen has a capacity over 250.
I was a great cinema goer, at least once a week, usually twice back in the day.
I’ve only been to the ‘newer’ ones once, at Showcase... and hated the experience, so never been again. It was a film I really wanted to see, but it was ruined by the ‘in your face’ screening, and the surround sound, although I did enjoy the performance of the particular actor, I thought my head would explode, and was pleased to get out of there. TBH, there hasn’t been a film since that has ever tempted me back.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Pooneil wrote: 04 Jun 2020 11:27
Ice cream? I imagine being Caversham, the staff will be endlessly shuttling back and forth with prosecco and vol au vents (or artisan flatbreads, for those with a more hipster taste in nibbles). 😉
That’s what I’m looking forward to, if it ever gets built. Well, perhaps fava beans and a nice Chianti, whilst watching Silence of the Lambs.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Perhaps some wafer thin mints when watching Mr Creosote in Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

Or some spaghetti and meatballs for The Godfather, some apples for Sleeping Beauty or hard boiled eggs for Cool Hand Luke. Might be a touch messy and noisy though but no worse than some of the chatter that goes on in some cinemas.

I do agree about the over loud sound, especially during the endless adverts and trailers. I take ear plugs.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

MickEdge wrote: 04 Jun 2020 11:53 That’s what I’m looking forward to, if it ever gets built. Well, perhaps fava beans and a nice Chianti, whilst watching Silence of the Lambs.
A plate of broad beans :?

Ooh CaV! The thought of all that clinking and clattering of food - maybe it would be better to have an on-site restaurant/cafe to eat in either before or after?
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

chris_j_wood wrote: 04 Jun 2020 09:48 . . . . she was actually on her way to the cinema to see A Canterbury Tale, which I had never heard of but which is apparently a British film loosely based on Chaucer and made in 1944 amidst the bomb sites of Canterbury.
A Canterbury Tale is a very strange film. It is a while since I saw it, but images from it are still very clear in my mind. There is a telling contrast between the village and country scenes, and the sad mess that the "Baedeker" raids made of Canterbury.

"However, the cathedral itself was not available for filming as the stained glass had been taken down, the windows boarded up and the organ, an important location for the story, removed to storage, all for protection against air raids. By the use of clever perspective, large portions of the cathedral were recreated within the studio by art director Alfred Junge." This is a quote from the Wikipedia page about the film, which is very informative about the locations and casting. But don't read the section about the plot if you ever intend to watch the film - it will spoil it for you!
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

piwacket wrote: 04 Jun 2020 12:20
MickEdge wrote: 04 Jun 2020 11:53 That’s what I’m looking forward to, if it ever gets built. Well, perhaps fava beans and a nice Chianti, whilst watching Silence of the Lambs.
A plate of broad beans :?

Ooh CaV! The thought of all that clinking and clattering of food - maybe it would be better to have an on-site restaurant/cafe to eat in either before or after?
What a great idea. A meal related to each film beforehand to get one in the mood or afterwards to reflect on the best scenes. For an afternoon showing of The Importance of Being Earnest one could have tea and cucumber sandwiches.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Cadburys Milk Tray for the romantic scenes and maybe Milk Flake for hot bedroom shots?
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Only if you could get the cucumbers CAV, even for ready money 😄
BY Paulo Coelho
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

lizwing wrote: 04 Jun 2020 13:15 Only if you could get the cucumbers CAV, even for ready money 😄
Indeed. I'll get my handbag.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

C.A.Versham wrote: 04 Jun 2020 12:53 What a great idea. A meal related to each film beforehand to get one in the mood or afterwards to reflect on the best scenes. For an afternoon showing of The Importance of Being Earnest one could have tea and cucumber sandwiches.
Yay! That’s it!
Maybe we should put the idea to the developer’s .... only problem is they probably don’t have plans to show “good” old films :help3: now there’s one or two of those that would tempt me along!

Just thought - then there’s Vegan and Vegetarians ! They’d have to have Nut cutlets before Yhe Godfather .... and if they’re showing Equus? Cassoulet de Cheval?
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

And a nice pungent curry with The Best Marigold Hotel 😊
BY Paulo Coelho
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

They could have Cannoli with the Godfather!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

THC wrote: 04 Jun 2020 15:16 They could have Cannoli with the Godfather!
Ooh yes, they sound good!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 04 Jun 2020 13:20
C.A.Versham wrote: 04 Jun 2020 12:53 What a great idea. A meal related to each film beforehand to get one in the mood or afterwards to reflect on the best scenes. For an afternoon showing of The Importance of Being Earnest one could have tea and cucumber sandwiches.
Yay! That’s it!
Maybe we should put the idea to the developer’s .... only problem is they probably don’t have plans to show “good” old films :help3: now there’s one or two of those that would tempt me along!

Just thought - then there’s Vegan and Vegetarians ! They’d have to have Nut cutlets before Yhe Godfather .... and if they’re showing Equus? Cassoulet de Cheval?
I'd definitely ask for the veggie option if the film was "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"!
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 04 Jun 2020 15:29 I'd definitely ask for the veggie option if the film was "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"!
:))

Oh and that scene in Blazing Saddles, where they’ve all eaten Beans.... could bring a whole new meaning to “surround sound” if they served Beans on Toast or Chilli con carne :)
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Pooneil wrote: 04 Jun 2020 15:29
I'd definitely ask for the veggie option if the film was "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"!
Or indeed "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover"
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

C.A.Versham wrote: 04 Jun 2020 16:09
Pooneil wrote: 04 Jun 2020 15:29
Or indeed "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover"
That was an odd film - although some ‘scenes’ where very good thanks to Helen Mirren :whistle1:
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Directed by Peter Greenaway - say no more.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”