Reading Transport strategy

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
Mayfield

Reading Transport strategy

Post by Mayfield »

Consultation begins

http://news.reading.gov.uk/final-consul ... xBnht-fUek

Is this reallybthe right time for this ? There could be long lasting and relatively substantial changes to transport needs post Covid and we may not know what they are for a while....On the other hand should they just get on with it...?
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Re: Reading Transport strategy

Post by MickEdge »

IMHO, we have to assume that people will be on the roads in buses, cars and bikes, and on foot in similar numbers as they always have. If that doesn’t happen at all or for several years, then we really are in for future that is far worse than anyone outside third world countries has ever experienced. So, we might as well respond to the consultation, as best we can. However awful the pandemic is, it will blow over and it won’t last forever. There’s a lot to argue about in their draft transport strategy.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

They have included thoughts and questions about the current situation, and at this stage its just consultation for future use - closing date for responding is August so a bit of time yet for it all to change /settle with any luck
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I suspect quite a lot of companies, and indeed employees, will find they have to go to the office less often and can work from home quite efficiently. Which in turn could have knock on commercial property prices...and less need for road and transport investment in turn, or indeed a different need.

Interesting timing....
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Mayfield wrote: 05 May 2020 12:03 I suspect quite a lot of companies, and indeed employees, will find they have to go to the office less often and can work from home quite efficiently. Which in turn could have knock on commercial property prices...and less need for road and transport investment in turn, or indeed a different need.

Interesting timing....
That would certainly be my guess too. Certainly I have found that I can work from home much better than I thought would be able to do, and I doubt I will go back to being a five days a week in the office person. Mind you, at my age, that is going to be a bit academic at some point in the not too far distant future, but I'm sure there will be lots of younger people taking the same view.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

More people working from home could mean the same frequency of buses with fewer seats and no standing. They'd need to be subsidised, but working from home does save a lot of money, so some form of tax change could cover this.

Or more likely, people could commute on flying pigs.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Anecdotal evidence from the Edge community also suggests working from home is affective and video meetings can work well and naturally. Yet, working physically close is also socially important for a lot of people and because of that, there will be a steady drift back to going into the office. I’m not convinced the lockdown will have a long term dramatic effect on traffic, but every little helps. Also, many jobs demand people being close to others or need access to equipment and tools.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I know my daughter would miss going to the office and thinks there’s a benefit, but maybe for many people working at home a couple of days a week would work pretty well and be the 'best of both worlds'

And while it’s all very well having this consultation, but won’t there be other serious calls on the budget ? Where’s the money coming from ?
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Mayfield wrote: 05 May 2020 18:05 And while it’s all very well having this consultation, but won’t there be other serious calls on the budget ? Where’s the money coming from ?
You have spotted the elephant in the room.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

MickEdge wrote: 05 May 2020 18:56
Mayfield wrote: 05 May 2020 18:05 And while it’s all very well having this consultation, but won’t there be other serious calls on the budget ? Where’s the money coming from ?
You have spotted the elephant in the room.
If the scheme is right then it comes from government funding – as did the money for the stupid CTR idea, it then got taken away once that failed!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
sarahbentley
Contributor

Post by sarahbentley »

Looks like some of the docs have been removed as they make tweaks following changes caused by the pandemic
https://consult.reading.gov.uk/dens/rea ... tegy-2036/
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

sarahbentley wrote: 07 Feb 2022 11:01 Looks like some of the docs have been removed as they make tweaks following changes caused by the pandemic
https://consult.reading.gov.uk/dens/rea ... tegy-2036/
I think they moved it. Try this link.
https://www.reading.gov.uk/vehicles-roa ... tegy-2036/
Two years on, I notice it’s still only a draft.

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”