Crime in Reading

chat about the town here ...
OLDMAN

Re: Crime in Reading

Post by OLDMAN »

Mainly because it has always been there, but now is more known about due to internet news / social media being so prevalent - I was reading about this recently and its the same across the country
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 03 Nov 2021 08:30 Mainly because it has always been there, but now is more known about due to internet news / social media being so prevalent - I was reading about this recently and its the same across the country
Up until the last 5-10 years I'd never witness any drug dealing in our area. Now it's prevalent. People openly snorting coke in their cars.

Oh and the police helicopter is out more and more, was out last night too.......
Stargazer
Super Contributor

Post by Stargazer »

PC49 wrote: 22 Oct 2021 21:13 Crime in England has decreased by 10% in the past year. Is this because there are more Officers on the Beat. NO.

Is this because the police are arresting more villains for crime. NO.

Is this because less people are committing criminal offences NO.

So what is happening.
1) How is the reporting of crime recorded…?

2) Do the general public have confidence in the police investigating a crime …NO so they do not report it.

As an ex police officer I find this appalling.
Because reporting a crime has become so difficult that for minor incidents no one bothers any more?
However, I believe there probably was a real reduction in crime during lockdowns because there was less opportunity, and this would have fed through to the last year's figures.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 03 Nov 2021 09:36
OLDMAN wrote: 03 Nov 2021 08:30 Mainly because it has always been there, but now is more known about due to internet news / social media being so prevalent - I was reading about this recently and its the same across the country
Up until the last 5-10 years I'd never witness any drug dealing in our area. Now it's prevalent. People openly snorting coke in their cars.

Oh and the police helicopter is out more and more, was out last night too.......
Maybe a problem with your area then as nothing’s changed where I live - never saw it back years ago or now

Yes there have been a couple of drug farm houses but that’s because they tend to be in quieter / unassuming areas so as not to draw attention but they only lasted a few days each before being discovered / cleared out and many reported by locals as we have such a close community
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

According to www.thisisreading247.com "The murder rate is out of control in the Reading area, that six murders in less than a year."
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 04 Nov 2021 11:04
ChipbuttyG wrote: 03 Nov 2021 09:36

Maybe a problem with your area then as nothing’s changed where I live - never saw it back years ago or now

Yes there have been a couple of drug farm houses but that’s because they tend to be in quieter / unassuming areas so as not to draw attention but they only lasted a few days each before being discovered / cleared out and many reported by locals as we have such a close community

I would say our area is still nice, but over the last few years we've seen an increase in crime. Cars set ablaze - drug dealing and drug taking in cars. It's been reported. It's a shame the minority ruin it for, what is fundamentally a nice area. Nice for Reading any way.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Nothing like that where I live, which makes it even nicer as Reading
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 04 Nov 2021 12:35 Nothing like that where I live, which makes it even nicer as Reading

Which area do you live OM?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

East Reading - the farthest part
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Isn't that over near Cemmy Junction/Palmer Park under 'Park ward'?
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Thames Valley Police is releasing a CCTV image of a man officers would like to speak to in connection with an assault in Reading.

At around 2.10am on Sunday (31/10), offenders attacked a man at Chicken and Pizza Shop on St Mary's Butts, causing grievous bodily harm.

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news ... paign=Orlo
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 04 Nov 2021 14:24 Isn't that over near Cemmy Junction/Palmer Park under 'Park ward'?
Yes but a bit further over
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 04 Nov 2021 11:35 According to www.thisisreading247.com "The murder rate is out of control in the Reading area, that six murders in less than a year."
Three of those were one terrorist event
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 04 Nov 2021 11:35 According to www.thisisreading247.com "The murder rate is out of control in the Reading area, that six murders in less than a year."
Only six in less than a year, our local news reports on that many in Leicester and Nottingham almost monthly (two this week) so for a large town like Reading that doesn't seem too excessive although of course zero everywhere would be preferable. There were murders when I lived in the town over 46 years ago including someone I knew well, and you can't easily prevent violence in domestic situations.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

dave m wrote: 04 Nov 2021 18:56
Sadly that was over a year ago.

Having a quick look on the Reading Chronicle website, there are the following murders reported so far in 2021:

- The one in Tilehurst on Halloween
- Valentine's Day murder in Caversham
- Olly Stephens in Caversham in January
- Man at BP in Lower Earley in March
- Woman in Laud Close in May
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 04 Nov 2021 15:23
ChipbuttyG wrote: 04 Nov 2021 14:24 Isn't that over near Cemmy Junction/Palmer Park under 'Park ward'?
Cemmy junction and Palmer Park area is pretty rough. My sibling used to live on Liverpool Road. Lots of problems around that area.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 05 Nov 2021 08:56Cemmy junction and Palmer Park area is pretty rough. My sibling used to live on Liverpool Road. Lots of problems around that area.
My friend had a year renting a room in Radstock Road before taking a room on Oxford Road (towards Grovelands Road) and he said the former was almost idyllic in comparison! For someone who is a bit cautious when out and about, because of homophobic attacks when he was younger, he said he always felt safe around the Cemetery Junction area, but not so down Oxford Road, and had been accosted by druggies begging a few times.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Souwester wrote: 05 Nov 2021 11:36
My friend had a year renting a room in Radstock Road before taking a room on Oxford Road (towards Grovelands Road) and he said the former was almost idyllic in comparison! For someone who is a bit cautious when out and about, because of homophobic attacks when he was younger, he said he always felt safe around the Cemetery Junction area, but not so down Oxford Road, and had been accosted by druggies begging a few times.
The Eastern part of Newtown is pretty good really and quite friendly, though it helps to be young. The Western part seems ok too, though I don't know as much about it. Much of Newtown west of Cumberland Road was demolished and rebuilt, it was pretty slummy in parts. I remember the Fisherman's Cottage standing alone when everything around it had been cleared.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Souwester wrote: 05 Nov 2021 11:36
ChipbuttyG wrote: 05 Nov 2021 08:56Cemmy junction and Palmer Park area is pretty rough. My sibling used to live on Liverpool Road. Lots of problems around that area.
I'm not disputing the Oxford Road is terrible. It is. But I know there are a lot of problems around Cemmy Junction/Palmer Park too. My brother had his car vandalised umpteen times, keyed, sprayed with spray paint, broken into etc.

I wouldn't like to live in either area.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... s-reading/

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... e-18716865

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... iles-away/

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... lmer-park/
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 04 Nov 2021 11:35According to www.thisisreading247.com "The murder rate is out of control in the Reading area, that six murders in less than a year."
And who or what is thisisreading247.com? According to some guy I met in Wokingham, the country is run by shapeshifting lizards. Doesn't actually make it true.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Pooneil wrote: 05 Nov 2021 19:12 According to some guy I met in Wokingham, the country is run by shapeshifting lizards. Doesn't actually make it true.
Oh, that sounds like the same guy who came out firmly for Brexit. Never did understand why he even bothered to have a view. I mean if you believe the place is run by shape shifting extra-terrestrial lizards, surely whether said lizards sit is London or Brussels pales into utter insignificance.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Another stabbing in Whitley nr Brayford Road yesterday.

A reported acid attack on Edinburgh Road yesterday.

And a woman who was spiked in Revolution via needle.

What the hell is going on in this town?
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 08 Nov 2021 09:04 Another stabbing in Whitley nr Brayford Road yesterday.

Well 'spiking' by needle is pretty common everywhere now, it even happens in this relatively rural area and most towns and cities report cases. Two of our younger carers say that it has been around for a few years but rarely reported, they said that after a 'good night out' they often wake up in the morning with cuts and bruises on their legs and arms but have no recollection of when they happened as the alcohol deadens any pain so they wouldn't feel a needle anyway. All very sad. Stabbings happen daily, the national and local news is always reporting them, and even back in the sixties when I was at school in Reading at least three of the pupils were stabbed, although admittedly these were from domestic issues and not random attacks.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Violent crime in Reading is above the national average.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 08 Nov 2021 09:04 Another stabbing in Whitley nr Brayford Road yesterday.

It's certainly a good question. We're in the process of moving house, and I've been checking the houses out on this site - below is a Portman Road postcode, picked at random. 129 crimes reported in September. Likely some might be duplicate records for more than one offense, however it's still a starting point.

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/postcode/rg301pd
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Fed-up wrote: 04 Nov 2021 20:35
dave m wrote: 04 Nov 2021 18:56
Sadly that was over a year ago.

Having a quick look on the Reading Chronicle website, there are the following murders reported so far in 2021:

- The one in Tilehurst on Halloween
- Valentine's Day murder in Caversham
- Olly Stephens in Caversham in January
- Man at BP in Lower Earley in March
- Woman in Laud Close in May
Lower Early is in Wokingham so not part of ‘Reading’ - so makes 4!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Sadly a 60 year old chap was robbed of his electric bike on Friday 5th November opposite the Albion pub on the Oxford Road. He was riding along with his shopping when some of it fell off. He was then jumped by a man. The gentleman ran after the thief but fell over leaving him with facial injuries.

The bike in question is a Raleigh electric bike which is dark grey in colour.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 05 Nov 2021 08:56
OLDMAN wrote: 04 Nov 2021 15:23
Cemmy junction and Palmer Park area is pretty rough. My sibling used to live on Liverpool Road. Lots of problems around that area.
Cemetery Junction is claseds as where East Reading starts, and on the edge of Park Ward but is also part of Redlands Ward
Crime rates are quite low compared to other parts of Reading – and I’ve been given that info by the police at various meetings I’ve attended
Newtown (where Liverpool Rd is) used to be bad but still better than other areas but has been sorted out in recent years mainly by getting rid of all the drug problem around Mandela Ct
I have many, many friends in Newtown who have no problems at all and at one time lived on the edge of it myself for several years from the mid 60’s on
Palmer Park is the same with low crime figures

And I live a bit further up from there so ‘my’ area is a bit different - but still in Reading!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

If you read the news the same as every other large town or city – not just Reading
We watched / read about similar and higher cases of reports about crime like this in Portsmouth over the weekend
There where even 2 in Hayling Island in the last week.........
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

A quick check for September 2021 on the link Ollycat provided there was 159 crimes recorded in that area.

Compared to our area that had 22 recorded crimes during September.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 09 Nov 2021 10:38

If you read the news the same as every other large town or city – not just Reading
We watched / read about similar and higher cases of reports about crime like this in Portsmouth over the weekend
I won't keep debating as I'll get another warning OM. Or is this a trap to lure me? ;-)
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 09 Nov 2021 10:43 A quick check for September 2021 on the link Ollycat provided there was 159 crimes recorded in that area.

Compared to our area that had 22 recorded crimes during September.
Where I am, had 15 in September, but the oddity is most are classed as 'Violence and sexual offences' which I have been told by police mainly covers 'domestic violence etc' so not in the street / public fronting so not really known about
Biggest problem we actually have is ASB mainly due to being a lot of students about, second level is burglary - and a lot is due to students' not being security conscious!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 09 Nov 2021 10:48
OLDMAN wrote: 09 Nov 2021 10:38

I won't keep debating as I'll get another warning OM. Or is this a trap to lure me? ;-)
Just saying as saw / read the 'local' news where we stayed over the weekend - it was enlightening
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 08 Nov 2021 09:04
<snip>

A [TVP] spokesman said: "...It was established that the injury was an accident which involved the injured man and no one else and therefore no crime had been committed."

Well, we've all done it...
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

KeithW wrote: 09 Nov 2021 16:53
ChipbuttyG wrote: 08 Nov 2021 09:04
<snip>

A [TVP] spokesman said: "...It was established that the injury was an accident which involved the injured man and no one else and therefore no crime had been committed."

Well, we've all done it...

Phew. At least we can roam the streets safe in the knowledge Reading is a very safe place.

Return to “Reading talk”