Crime in Reading

chat about the town here ...
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Re: Crime in Reading

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

dave m wrote: 20 Oct 2021 14:38 years ago a girlfriend's grandmother lived near George street/James street in a block of flats that I assumed was RBC for the elderly.
The old Central site is suggested as a base for the elderly among others. plus homes?
Seems a good idea to me?
Got to be better than what’s there now Dave. Think it’s probably to early to judge, as we don’t know what ‘vulnerable’ means particularly. If it is for elderly, I’d presume warden or supported housing, probably with at least a caretaker on site? Sounds like it’s going to be a mixed development, as you say with homes as well, so presume a couple three families a two least.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Don't talk to me about crime in Reading. Over the last few weeks I've twice had a half bag of toffees stolen from my car while parked. In addition, the 200 Peseta coin I use for shopping trollies has gone. I've learned my lesson, and will make sure I remove any sweets when parking.

I'm going to make a sign, "NO TOFFEES ARE KEPT IN THIS VEHICLE OVERNIGHT".
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

KeithW wrote: 20 Oct 2021 17:02 Don't talk to me about crime in Reading. Over the last few weeks I've twice had a half bag of toffees stolen from my car while parked. In addition, the 200 Peseta coin I use for shopping trollies has gone. I've learned my lesson, and will make sure I remove any sweets when parking.

How did they gain entry to your car Keith?
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 20 Oct 2021 16:15
dave m wrote: 20 Oct 2021 14:38 years ago a girlfriend's grandmother lived near George street/James street in a block of flats that I assumed was RBC for the elderly.
The old Central site is suggested as a base for the elderly among others. plus homes?
Seems a good idea to me?
Got to be better than what’s there now Dave. Think it’s probably to early to judge, as we don’t know what ‘vulnerable’ means particularly. If it is for elderly, I’d presume warden or supported housing, probably with at least a caretaker on site? Sounds like it’s going to be a mixed development, as you say with homes as well, so presume a couple three families a two least.
Let's hope there's plenty of CCTV included in the plans for this development.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 21 Oct 2021 10:33
KeithW wrote: 20 Oct 2021 17:02 Don't talk to me about crime in Reading. Over the last few weeks I've twice had a half bag of toffees stolen from my car while parked. In addition, the 200 Peseta coin I use for shopping trollies has gone. I've learned my lesson, and will make sure I remove any sweets when parking.

I think they opened the door. The central locking doesn't always work and I probably forgot to check.

My last car had the lock screwdrivered so I replaced it. It happened again, so I just removed the lock and covered the hole with gaffer tape. No problems after that.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

KeithW wrote: 21 Oct 2021 10:46
ChipbuttyG wrote: 21 Oct 2021 10:33

I think they opened the door. The central locking doesn't always work and I probably forgot to check.

My last car had the lock screwdrivered so I replaced it. It happened again, so I just removed the lock and covered the hole with gaffer tape. No problems after that.
Do insurance companies still insure you when you notify them of removing the lock?
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 21 Oct 2021 13:09
Do insurance companies still insure you when you notify them of removing the lock?
Third party only. I don't do expensive cars.
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

:roflol3:

I forgot to lock my car recently and the local addicts had been through the glove box and centre arm rest for a rummage. I had a pack of tic tacs and some mentos...they took the tic tacs, left the mentos. They'll be able to open a sweet shop at this rate.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Are you an Everton football supporter and this heinous crime is being carried out by Liverpool Scousers.. I suppose not because if it was they would take the car for a joy ride.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

PC49 wrote: 21 Oct 2021 20:33

Are you an Everton football supporter and this heinous crime is being carried out by Liverpool Scousers.. I suppose not because if it was they would take the car for a joy ride.
I knew that had to mean something, so I looked it up. That's another pub quiz answer sorted, thanks!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

KeithW wrote: 21 Oct 2021 13:48
And they still insure you despite you removing the lock and notifying them you've done so?
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 22 Oct 2021 08:29
KeithW wrote: 21 Oct 2021 13:48
And they still insure you despite you removing the lock and notifying them you've done so?
If you are insured third party only, you are not covered for theft, etc only the damage you cause to other people/property.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Sorry, had it my brain it was third party, fire and theft.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

When our Volvo was broken into a few years ago the only things taken were some wheelchair gloves, toffees, mints and an A-Z atlas of Berkshire, maybe the gang have now moved from Derbyshire to Berkshire and are using that same atlas to continue on their sweet toothed crime wave? :?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

it does tempt me to store a huge box of laxative sweets in my car.
I wonder if you can get the type of laxative given before a colonoscopy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBMsPNI6EZE
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Movicol. You can get something similar from a pharmacy. Not that I’m suggesting anything of course.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

dave m wrote: 22 Oct 2021 09:52 it does tempt me to store a huge box of laxative sweets in my car.
I wonder if you can get the type of laxative given before a colonoscopy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBMsPNI6EZE
That was done 50 years ago at Bournville, when it was found that a lot of the special alcoholic chocolates made for the royal family and directors, were disappearing from licked cupboards. The somewhat eccentric person in charge made some special ones. All the cleaners were off sick for a week
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Licked cupboards? :roflol3:
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Maybe they were chocolate as well?
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

I've seen our local Labour councillors moaning about cuts. "Community Safety Partnership funding by more than half. This will mean Reading streets risk being less safe."

Seeing as we've seen crime, stabbings galore etc in the last few years - let's see if these 'cuts' have a negative impact.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

You do realise that Knife Crime is the responsibility of Thames valley Police?

The council can do stuff such as Amnesty Bins and encouraging youth provision etc but it's not actually something that councils can control.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Crime in England has decreased by 10% in the past year. Is this because there are more Officers on the Beat. NO.

Is this because the police are arresting more villains for crime. NO.

Is this because less people are committing criminal offences NO.

So what is happening.
1) How is the reporting of crime recorded…?

2) Do the general public have confidence in the police investigating a crime …NO so they do not report it.

As an ex police officer I find this appalling.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Depends who you ask about confidence in the Police, PC.....

I would suggest, m’lud, that crime has decreased due to more people working from home, and earlier on, the lockdowns when no one could go anywhere. If Johnny Burglar is faced with Mr Average working at home, he’s not going to risk filling his swag bag if there’s any chance of a cuff round the earole from the householder.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 22 Oct 2021 21:41 Depends who you ask about confidence in the Police, PC.....

I would suggest, m’lud, that crime has decreased due to more people working from home, and earlier on, the lockdowns when no one could go anywhere. If Johnny Burglar is faced with Mr Average working at home, he’s not going to risk filling his swag bag if there’s any chance of a cuff round the earole from the householder.
Yes, but there’s more to ‘Crime’ than just burglary - but the Police are too busy - for example researching or chasing up decades old harassment ‘crimes’ - and shoplifters permitted to steal £200 of goods before they’re regarded as thieves :)) and there’s not enough of them anyway…. Thanks to Mrs May for one… plus the requirement for anyone to have a ‘degree’ before they can join :? Numerous older/retired policemen have said similar… very often the only reaction is a Crime Number to give to the insurance company, and Goodbye.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Indeed,Pi, indeed. My cousin was in the Police for a while. As a little boy, he always wanted to be a copper. Went in as an older recruit. Lasted less than a year. Hated it as couldn’t move for pretty much what you said above.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

... and there’s the incident I spoke of some time ago, an elderly friend of ours in Wokingham, having a nap one afternoon, could hear a ‘scrabbling’ on his roof - went to see a bloke taking the leading from his roof. He shouted up to him ‘what do you think you’re doing? Get down off there’. He then saw there were a couple of rolls by the gate, and a van outside with doors open. The bloke came down and muttered something about fixing his roof to which friend said he hadn’t wanted anyone to fix his roof, and grabbed him - bloke pulled and ran to his van. Friend took the No. and phoned 999. Where he was asked if he was hurt and he said No. “well you shouldn’t call 999 then”. Call 111(?) and report it there. So he did and said he had the number of the van... we’ll give you a Crime number and you can claim off the Insurance.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

dave m wrote: 22 Oct 2021 12:36 You do realise that Knife Crime is the responsibility of Thames valley Police?

The council can do stuff such as Amnesty Bins and encouraging youth provision etc but it's not actually something that councils can control.
A quote from a Reading Labour councillor.

"The funding enabled the Council to work in partnership with police and other agencies on things like knife crime prevention, drug abuse and street pastors.
All vital projects, all worthy of future funding which we now won't get from the Tory PCC."
Cardiac
Super Contributor

Post by Cardiac »

I found a kitchen knife under a hedge outside a house I used to rent out, Whitley Wood, carefully picked it up a put it in a plastic bag cycled into Reading, and handed it into the Police station they took my details and asked if I would like it back if it was not claimed, I won't print my reply and just left
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

As I have said before. There should be a National Police Force to deal with National matters I.e. terrorism, cyber crime etc., Paid for from the government purse, and go back to having local police forces paid for by local people to deal with local matters and answerable to their community.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Perhaps they could change the % of CTax and give a higher proportion to the emergency services such as the police, rather than Reading Council keep wasting it on failed bids for everything and failed vanity projects.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

So another stabbing/murder in Reading over the weekend. Worrying times for that area, which seems very, very rough these days.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... r-22026108
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

PC49 wrote: 23 Oct 2021 13:14 As I have said before. There should be a National Police Force to deal with National matters I.e. terrorism, cyber crime etc., Paid for from the government purse, and go back to having local police forces paid for by local people to deal with local matters and answerable to their community.
It exists. It is called the National Crime Agency, which sounds very civil-service-ish, but it is a police force in all but name. They certainly deal with cyber-crime, not sure about terrorism, which I think would be more MI5's bundle.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Sounds like a lovely area to live.

Reading flats above Tesco 'repeatedly broken into by homeless drug users who sleep on the stairs'

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... y-21972848
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Parts of Tilehurst have always been rough!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 02 Nov 2021 13:14 Parts of Tilehurst have always been rough!
There's been two murders and a huge gang fight in that area in recent months to go along with all the other stabbings, shootings around the town. Yes, plenty of rough places around Reading to chose from but I can never recall it being this bad.

Return to “Reading talk”