Crime in Reading

chat about the town here ...
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Crime in Reading

Post by Lizzy33 »

Where can we find stats and types of crimes in Reading?
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Re: Crime in Reading

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Try this? https://www.ukcrimestats.com/Subdivisions/UTA/2596/

Think ONS does something too.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

All crime will reduce over the coming weeks but that's not to say they aren't happening, its just not being reported e.g. domestic abuse and rape is still happening but people are scared to waste police time. plus drug dealers are selling via mail instead of in person
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

This is becoming more common across the country:
https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... tv-appeal/

Criminals will walk and wait around homes and wait for the person to come home and then when the front door is open, one criminal pushes them whilst the other gang members rush into the house to rob it. Be safe everyone
The Deeph
Contributor

Post by The Deeph »

My son tells me that pet theft has increased considerably recently. I am not surprised, people are asking [email protected] £3000 for cross breed puppies.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

GaryyHill wrote: 18 Apr 2020 11:12 All crime will reduce over the coming weeks but that's not to say they aren't happening, its just not being reported e.g. domestic abuse and rape is still happening but people are scared to waste police time. plus drug dealers are selling via mail instead of in person

Not sure why you think that...we’ve seen a big increase in attempted car break ins locally and although several people have footage of the perpetrators the police aren’t interested.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

My neighbour's security camera covers my drive. A few nights ago, it recorded someone walking up my drive and trying my car doors. they then crossed the road and tried the car there. We heard that the same night a car nearby had been opened and stuff taken. Sounds as if someone was trying all the cars in the area and hoping to get lucky. It was very blatant, only 10.50 pm. As the camera was triggered, a very bright security light also came on, which the person ignored.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Mayfield wrote: 09 Nov 2020 18:52
GaryyHill wrote: 18 Apr 2020 11:12 All crime will reduce over the coming weeks but that's not to say they aren't happening, its just not being reported e.g. domestic abuse and rape is still happening but people are scared to waste police time. plus drug dealers are selling via mail instead of in person

Not sure why you think that...we’ve seen a big increase in attempted car break ins locally and although several people have footage of the perpetrators the police aren’t interested.
Nothing new there then! Yet the slightest breach of lockdown rules they are on to you like a ton of bricks.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

maggieaitch wrote: 09 Nov 2020 21:49 My neighbour's security camera covers my drive. A few nights ago, it recorded someone walking up my drive and trying my car doors. they then crossed the road and tried the car there. We heard that the same night a car nearby had been opened and stuff taken. Sounds as if someone was trying all the cars in the area and hoping to get lucky. It was very blatant, only 10.50 pm. As the camera was triggered, a very bright security light also came on, which the person ignored.
It’s pretty much a weekly occurrence around here, islands, Chiltern, Derby Road too ...often seems to be a female in a hoody..
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

TBH I always smile at mention of the police not taking notice, which isn’t true as they do – but it does need to be reported!
When we where still allowed to attend our local group meeting we had a couple of vociferous attendees who reckoned they ‘reported’ everything that went on where they lived (and it was like a gramophone) BUT
We often had the local police attend and a couple of times the area Sergeant, (and higher on occasions) at those meeting he was there the same people started going on about making reports and police not doing anything so he asked when was it all reported etc
Then he came out with all the listed figures of reports for the areas concerned (he had brought them to discuss with us) - and guess what NONE of the ones these two mention they had made, where listed as being reported?

I will add the same pair also claimed that they went through a barrage of questions about race / religion and other stuff when trying to make these reports, whereas other of us who have made real reports mentioned we never had that sort of treatment…………….

The police don’t have the resources to answer everything with a call out / visit – but that doesn’t mean they are not interested not taking any s action - all the info received will be taken and stored by the police and they try to build a case / use it where possible
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Mayfield wrote: 09 Nov 2020 23:01
maggieaitch wrote: 09 Nov 2020 21:49 My neighbour's security camera covers my drive. A few nights ago, it recorded someone walking up my drive and trying my car doors. they then crossed the road and tried the car there. We heard that the same night a car nearby had been opened and stuff taken. Sounds as if someone was trying all the cars in the area and hoping to get lucky. It was very blatant, only 10.50 pm. As the camera was triggered, a very bright security light also came on, which the person ignored.
It’s pretty much a weekly occurrence around here, islands, Chiltern, Derby Road too ...often seems to be a female in a hoody..
It does seem to be that casual crime is ‘area’ related as they mention it on FB a lot that it happens in Earley / LE but we rarely get anything where we live
We did have a run of it along the road about 10/11 months back and a few damaged cars about a couple of years before that (that was students who got seen / caught and done for it all) but that’s about all – seems to be once a year or less
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Reports of two people being arrested for trying to steal from cars, in Southcote, just hope it’s the same people...
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 10 Nov 2020 09:44 It does seem to be that casual crime is ‘area’ related as they mention it on FB a lot that it happens in Earley / LE but we rarely get anything where we live
Do you get the ACER Newsletter? Or see Nextdoor Digest? Apparently quite prolific round here.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 10 Nov 2020 11:38
OLDMAN wrote: 10 Nov 2020 09:44 It does seem to be that casual crime is ‘area’ related as they mention it on FB a lot that it happens in Earley / LE but we rarely get anything where we live
Do you get the ACER Newsletter? Or see Nextdoor Digest? Apparently quite prolific round here.
We don’t get ACER this side of the railway etc as it’s more local to your area, and I don’t like Nextdoor Digest as some of their info is a bit odd – not sure where it comes from!

I get the police figures sent to me (as V’Chair of our local group) which covers Redlands / University / Park – and now Newtown I also get Thame Valley Alert notifications
Also use https://www.checkmystreet.co.uk/ which uses the TVP figures
On there this area had: (this comes up the same in the official stuff I get)
5 incidents violent crime
2 incidents vehicle crime
1 incidents criminal damage arson
1 incident anti social behaviour
1 incident burglary
1 incident drugs

That’s in all of Park Ward plus a little around it, over about 2 months
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

I saw some pictures online of a lady in a black hoody doing this and it looked a lot like the lady who seems to 'manage' the beggars in Caversham precinct.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

joe_smooth wrote: 10 Nov 2020 14:12

I saw some pictures online of a lady in a black hoody doing this and it looked a lot like the lady who seems to 'manage' the beggars in Caversham precinct.
My son said the same thing.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Caught the local news last week. A piece on crime in Reading. Mainly about drugs and cuckooing. Shocking how much of it goes on, on our doorstep.

I think Reading Council are planning to house vulnerable people on the old Central Pool site. Is this really a good idea?.....
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Did you get sacked from your job in the tourist information office?
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

KeithW wrote: 17 Oct 2021 10:35 Did you get sacked from your job in the tourist information office?
:goodposting: I wonder if he (?she ) will ever take the hint.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

KeithW wrote: 17 Oct 2021 10:35 Did you get sacked from your job in the tourist information office?

:roflol3:

Naughty. But funeee.

TBH, when I first read that, I thought it said cuckolding instead of cuckooing....
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 17 Oct 2021 11:09

:roflol3:

Naughty. But funeee.

TBH, when I first read that, I thought it said cuckolding instead of cuckooing....
:offtopic1:
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 17 Oct 2021 10:58
:goodposting: I wonder if he (?she ) will ever take the hint.
:offtopic1:
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

So what do you think about housing vulnerable people down by the Oxford Road? Whilst it's good vulnerable people are being housed, I'm not convinced putting them in this area is really a good idea....
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

What on earth is 'cuckooing' when it's at home? :?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

windrush wrote: 18 Oct 2021 16:12 What on earth is 'cuckooing' when it's at home? :?

Pete.
It's when it's at your home.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

KeithW wrote: 18 Oct 2021 16:13
windrush wrote: 18 Oct 2021 16:12 What on earth is 'cuckooing' when it's at home? :?

Pete.
I'm none the wiser, not an expression I have ever come across?

Pete.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Pete ---I think it means when unscrupulous people move into the house of a vulnerable person and then use that person and/or their house, for illegal activities. It very often happens to people with mental health issues who are powerless to get rid of the intruders.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

windrush wrote: 18 Oct 2021 16:24
KeithW wrote: 18 Oct 2021 16:13

Pete.
I'm none the wiser, not an expression I have ever come across?

Pete.
It's when criminals take over your home (or rather, that of a vulnerable person) for nefarious purposes.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=cuckooing+crime
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you both, never heard of that happening.

Pete.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Yes - sadly it's all too common in the UK. When these vulnerable people are re-homed on the Central swimming pool site, I hope there are regular checks on them.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Assuming that the old pool site is used for the container type homes that Reading has started, I think it’s a good idea.
They will be close enough to the Great Knolly Street former pub that acts as a centre.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

dave m wrote: 19 Oct 2021 09:24 Assuming that the old pool site is used for the container type homes that Reading has started, I think it’s a good idea.
They will be close enough to the Great Knolly Street former pub that acts as a centre.
The Stelios orange shipping containers are by the cattle market.

The homes for vulnerable people are on the old central pool site. Slap bang in one of the roughest areas in Reading.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

ChipbuttyG wrote: 19 Oct 2021 10:11
dave m wrote: 19 Oct 2021 09:24 Assuming that the old pool site is used for the container type homes that Reading has started, I think it’s a good idea.

The homes for vulnerable people are on the old central pool site. Slap bang in one of the roughest areas in Reading.
Link? Article? Plans? People can’t really make much comment unless there’s something to read about it first.

I found this https://www.reading.gov.uk/news/council ... residents/. Looks like land around Hexam Road , Amethyst Lane and Dwyer Road is also being looked at to develop.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 19 Oct 2021 14:45
ChipbuttyG wrote: 19 Oct 2021 10:11

Link? Article? Plans? People can’t really make much comment unless there’s something to read about it first.

I found this https://www.reading.gov.uk/news/council ... residents/. Looks like land around Hexam Road , Amethyst Lane and Dwyer Road is also being looked at to develop.
https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... ther-site/

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... g-20954694
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

years ago a girlfriend's grandmother lived near George street/James street in a block of flats that I assumed was RBC for the elderly.
The old Central site is suggested as a base for the elderly among others. plus homes?
Seems a good idea to me?

Return to “Reading talk”