Reasons to be Cheerful! Good things that happened today

General chat forum
piwacket

Re: Reasons to be Cheerful! Good things that happened today

Post by piwacket »

chris_j_wood wrote: 02 Jun 2020 22:34 Congratulations to the Progress Theatre Company for being awarded the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service. Well deserved.
I hope that once this damn virus is dealt with, Pi gets to go to Buck House and meet Her Maj.
Thanks Chris :)
There's no such thing as a free lunch
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 31 May 2020 19:23 Getting harassed by a cheeky crow as well! They’ve got immense eyesight to spot food from such heights. You have to lay in wait for them and run multi frames probably MJ
Late OH (not from this area) was so wowed by them, that he started putting chicken or chop bones, on our flat garage roof, and yes they’d swoop down whenever. He did eventually snap them by hiding in the backdoor of the garage. However after he died, I soon stopped... the garage roof had begun to leak. Our local handyman who does lots of jobs for us, went up there, and where their claws or beaks had landed, there were the leaks! But before he could repair it, a couple swooped down one day just above my head when I was hanging washing out - the line runs between two trees across the back of the garage .... ye God’s that was terrifying! However they’re always around as a neighbour a few doors down obviously still puts food out! Beware! They are huge.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Visited the tip today. No queue. Very well organised. Booked a week in advance. Less clutter!
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

C.A.Versham wrote: 02 Jun 2020 23:21 Visited the tip today. No queue. Very well organised. Booked a week in advance. Less clutter!
I have some things in my car which need to go the tip bit they are to heavy for me to lift. Is there any help available there?
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Well done!
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

We had afternoon tea delivered by 3 love food yesterday ( wedding anniversary ) and they did a special extra little box for our grand daughter ( it’s run by a neighbour ) which I thought was very sweet of them. Lovely cakes 🙂
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

annap wrote: 03 Jun 2020 01:38
C.A.Versham wrote: 02 Jun 2020 23:21 Visited the tip today. No queue. Very well organised. Booked a week in advance. Less clutter!
I have some things in my car which need to go the tip bit they are to heavy for me to lift. Is there any help available there?
The guidance states that there is no help available to unload your car. However, when I visited one of the staff did lift an item over the wall for someone who he asked to leave it there and then dealt with it when she had moved away. Otherwise it would be a matter of relying on the goodwill of other users to help you I'm afraid. Provided you socially distanced apart from the danger of damaging one's back it may not be a problem.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

C.A.Versham wrote: 03 Jun 2020 10:10
annap wrote: 03 Jun 2020 01:38
The guidance states that there is no help available to unload your car. However, when I visited one of the staff did lift an item over the wall for someone who he asked to leave it there and then dealt with it when she had moved away. Otherwise it would be a matter of relying on the goodwill of other users to help you I'm afraid. Provided you socially distanced apart from the danger of damaging one's back it may not be a problem.
Thanks - it all sounds a bit uncertain, and I don't want to go there and find that I have made a wasted journey. I read on local social media the other day that there is someone who will come and collect (he has a licence) small loads and take them for you, and it is probably sensible for me to pay for that. Thanks for the advice, really useful
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Just got back from the supermarkets runs and noticed with two fly tips or really untidy household rubbish left out. A mattress slumped onto the path and about four Ben bags near the Occy Rd/Grovelands Red junction and then another in Grovelands Rd/Water Rd, this time a fairly large load of mouldy garden lounger cushions and another half dozen bin bags. Probably innocent, but it caught my eye as two in fairly close proximity.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

What do you mean by "innocent"? If they are dumped they are hardly innocent
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

mikejee wrote: 03 Jun 2020 13:49 What do you mean by "innocent"? If they are dumped they are hardly innocent
They might be waiting for RBC to pick up as part of the bulky waste collection service MJ? I was giving them the benefit of the doubt buuuuuuut my instinct tells me, you’re right probably dumped.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

https://www.lovecleanstreets.com/report ... 3da3ce20b8

Is it this lot, reported on Love Clean Streets, 111 Grovelands Rd?
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Finally - Covid-19 is off the front pages of the papers, and we're talking about something else on the forum. I'm not saying that the topic that replaced it is better, however it does mean there's light at the end of the tunnel!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Ollycat wrote: 03 Jun 2020 18:48 https://www.lovecleanstreets.com/report ... 3da3ce20b8

Is it this lot, reported on Love Clean Streets, 111 Grovelands Rd?
Yes, it’s just up from the bollards cutting off ?? St Romans’ Road? There are two semi detached houses on the left hand side going up Grovelands. This looks to be just outside the grey one of the pair.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Yay! We’ve got rain :)
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

And wind and 15° temperatures, not a reason for me to feel cheerful, sorry.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 11 Jun 2020 12:25 And wind and 15° temperatures, not a reason for me to feel cheerful, sorry.
Oh yes, we’ve got that too... no not very pleasant, but the rain is welcome.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It’s only a drizzle, not enough to mean that we won’t need to water the plants.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 11 Jun 2020 13:54 It’s only a drizzle, not enough to mean that we won’t need to water the plants.
Ah now that’s what we had for a couple of days, but this morning it was proper rain!
Cleared up now, so OH is out there sweeping up leaves.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

I will gladly swap our downpour (that has been falling heavily since this morning and hasn't stopped yet) for your drizzle Pi! Yet another day of getting very little done, and tomorrow looks to be even worse. :banghead:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 11 Jun 2020 18:26 I will gladly swap our downpour (that has been falling heavily since this morning and hasn't stopped yet) for your drizzle Pi! Yet another day of getting very little done, and tomorrow looks to be even worse. :banghead:
Pete.
... ah but you haven’t got a garden Pete, nor presumably 4 waterbutts to fill!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

As our moderate rain fell last night and we have had a dry day, although only 17C. I am thankful not to have to water using a can as we have a hose ban. Now more gentle rain has started so that is good.

A repair kit arrived which enabled me to repair a roller blind for little more than a fiver.

The only spoiler was a Windows update. I had a gigantic one two days ago and they asked if I wanted a new search engine so I clicked the NO box and my old Edge thankfully remained ( I cannot use Google or Chrome but that is another long saga).

Today there was another update with no please or thankyou. It was the new Edge I had declined and what a terrible experience. A screen full of in your face "Your Interests" interspersed with mindless American adverts. It let me choose which subjects to delete so I deleted the lot. Fine but when I returned it defaulted to cr.p and adverts again. I finally sorted it in settings and now have a totally naked search engine, so a good end to the day.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Cheerful? I'm ecstatic! My hairdresser is planning to open on the 4th July, and I've an appointment booked! Goodbye Worzel Gummidge, Hello Jackie O...
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Ollycat wrote: 12 Jun 2020 12:40 Cheerful? I'm ecstatic! My hairdresser is planning to open on the 4th July, and I've an appointment booked! Goodbye Worzel Gummidge, Hello Jackie O...
Lucky you - mine has a notice on its site such that they are planning to open on 4 .July, but the first week is already booked and would people please only call for appointments for the weeks after!

Badger, meet Alien :banghead:
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Well, it isn't until Friday 10th - serves me right for not calling earlier.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Ollycat wrote: 12 Jun 2020 13:04 Well, it isn't until Friday 10th - serves me right for not calling earlier.
Mine has a voicemail message but they say they update on Facebook - which I don’t belong to. Just have to wear a hat in the meantime and wait til they re open to join the scrum!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

piwacket wrote: 11 Jun 2020 19:50
windrush wrote: 11 Jun 2020 18:26 I will gladly swap our downpour (that has been falling heavily since this morning and hasn't stopped yet) for your drizzle Pi! Yet another day of getting very little done, and tomorrow looks to be even worse. :banghead:
Pete.
... ah but you haven’t got a garden Pete, nor presumably 4 waterbutts to fill!
Of course I have a garden, no water butts required here though as we aren't in the Tropics! :-) It's absulutely pouring here and has been for several hours.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 12 Jun 2020 13:14
Ollycat wrote: 12 Jun 2020 13:04 Well, it isn't until Friday 10th - serves me right for not calling earlier.
Mine has a voicemail message but they say they update on Facebook - which I don’t belong to. Just have to wear a hat in the meantime and wait til they re open to join the scrum!
VoT - try and do a search for the name of your hairdresser and the phrase:

site:facebook.com

For example -

Alien Bobs R Us site:facebook.com

You should be able to read the page and any posts they have made without joining Facebook.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Yes I can read it via the entry page of farcebook fed up, thanks for the tip anyway. Luckily they’ve put a banner up, so I can just see that before the farcebook police come along demanding I join....

Alien bobs R us. Haha. Very good.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’ve had a phone call from my hairdresser offering me an appointment
:fireworks1:
Not until the 20th of July but what a relief !
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Wooo hooo! You go girl!!
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

But don't go mad. No purple dreadlocks !!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Oh come on, don’t be such a spoilsport, pink?
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

mikejee wrote: 27 Jun 2020 13:47 But don't go mad. No purple dreadlocks !!
Oooo yeah! Lockdown locks :-) . Take the opportunity to have a complete change. Once saw a woman have her head shaved, and the resulting stubble bleached blonde and had a load of brown and red leopard blobs put on. Be very fetching on you Liz....
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

How about a Beehive Liz but after the nesting season.

Return to “Chatty Person”