Reasons to be Cheerful! Good things that happened today

General chat forum
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Re: Reasons to be Cheerful! Good things that happened today

Post by maggieaitch »

Same reasons I enjoy Zoom meetings with my family. I don't go to any shops but sometimes see people I know, when I'm out walking.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 06 May 2020 18:06
windrush wrote: 06 May 2020 17:25 With me being fick: what pray is a 'zoom party' when it's at home? :? The only party I ever had was for my 21st, have I missed out on 68 others? :-)

Pete.
It links people via the inter webs WR. Video calling, pretty much like a group Skype. Everyone gets on line via the Zoom platform and you can see each other all at once, hence ‘party’.
Thank's for that Vot, all a bit beyond me that talk but I guess youngsters know all about Skype and such 'Hi Tech' things? I haven't got a youngster to hand though so will pass on that and remain gloriously in the stone age. :wink:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Grand daughter came to play
8D3ECF85-B9B6-400A-AADF-07921E80739F.jpeg
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

Today is our 34th wedding anniversary
Attachments
Wedding 3 001.jpg
Wedding 3 001.jpg
Last edited by Bentley on 09 May 2020 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
I did it my way.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Congratulations, and May you have many more anniversaries Bentley.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Congratulations Bentley! Hope there’s many more to come!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Happy Anniversary....and many more 🍾🍾🍾
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 🍾
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

Just had 110% refund from Aerlingus re. the cancelled trip to France :-P :-P :-P
I did it my way.
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

lizwing wrote: 09 May 2020 16:05 HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 🍾
Thanks everyone :-) :-) :-)
I did it my way.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Bentley wrote: 14 May 2020 10:27 Just had 110% refund from Aerlingus re. the cancelled trip to France :-P :-P :-P
110% - what’s the extra 10% for? Inconvenience?
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

piwacket wrote: 14 May 2020 11:50
Bentley wrote: 14 May 2020 10:27 Just had 110% refund from Aerlingus re. the cancelled trip to France :-P :-P :-P
The Alledged got more than they anticipated back from the tour operator following our repatriation from Mauritius. I’m not sure it was extra bunce per se, but it was more, they didn’t quibble and it was paid extremely promptly. Next day I think. We would have had three trips with them this year, and they’ve already refunded two.
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

I think it's just Irish generosity ,although they are now part of the BA group.
I did it my way.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

My son has accepted a voucher from the booking company, I think he should have insisted on a refund but I think he just wanted it settled.
BY Paulo Coelho
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Good way to attract customers when they next want to/can travel. Unlike some other airlines who are withholding refunds, it will put them in a good light.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

I got my BA 100% refund of £1500 plus the air miles I used to upgrade back today. I was due to travel next Wednesday.

Given I wouldn’t have wanted to travel anyway as it was a holiday with my ex I’m quite happy how it’s turned out.
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

A holiday with the EX! :whistle1: :whistle1: :whistle1:
I did it my way.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

We had 3 nights booked in the New Forest at the end of July and asked that they just move it to next year and keep the deposit.....being as they are closed and no one has mentioned opening hotels yet I thought they had a bit of a cheek to act as if they were doing us a big favour ( a little one perhaps ...) 😉

As for something good happening Daughter got me some flowers in M&S 🙂 First I have had since lock down !
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Awww, that’s nice Mayfield. I must say, any orders we’ve made, have been delivered very efficiently form all of the organisations we’ve ordered from. Delivery drivers don’t have the best job sometimes, but they’ve all been very good, if busy. Never usually order on line, as prefer in person purchases, so maybe it’s this efficient all the time!

Two of our three trips have been cancelled, and we’d don’t expect the third one to take place. They are all via BA, who have refunded more than we expected (plus a bit I think) , also without quibble and quickly too.

New Forest is lovely, especially in summer. Anytime really 😁. I read somewhere that hospitality - pubs, restaurants and hotels - could be open again from 4 July. Depending on covid progress of course. I did a random check on some places here, and many aren’t showing any availability until July. I’d presume because they anticipate remaining closed until then, and will probably use the time to do any maintenance, upgrades etc.

Think we might have to resign ourselves that there won’t be foreign holiday travel this summer, and look forward to some late autumn U.K. trips instead.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I felt really sorry for them as they had just taken over the business, although it is quite well established. I was supposed to be going to France with a friend but she has broken her shoulder plus no Southampton to Rennes flights...( we were visiting a mutual friend ) .OH and I hadn't decided on a main break....maybe it was fate....but I'm thinking I'd like to go back to Port Isaac next year ....
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

We thought we’d spend time in the Cotswolds 😊
BY Paulo Coelho
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

Bentley wrote: 14 May 2020 14:09 A holiday with the EX! :whistle1: :whistle1: :whistle1:
Wasn’t an ex when flights booked
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

We had a few Travelodges booked but the events were were attending are almost all cancelled (and the rest will follow I'm sure) and Travelodges are also closed to the general public anyway apart from a few in major towns/cities that NHS workers are using. We have been given vouchers instead to use by December 31st but we are unlikely to use all of them so will have to stand the cost, these things happen and nobody forsaw what has occoured this year.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Still waiting for our refund from the booking company. Got an email saying sorry it’s taking so long, with an estimated refund date, which has now passed. In terms of holidays this year, I’m keeping my expectations low. At the moment the thought of a day trip to a National Trust estate is exciting. I reckon it’ll be staycationing for most this summer, assuming you get in quick when the hospitality industry opens up. I’ll pass on a B&B in Bognor, if that’s all that’s available at my budget. We recently rediscovered the New Forest last winter and a good hotel, so that’s a possibility, but it’s nice to go somewhere that’s warm all the time.
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

THC wrote: 14 May 2020 17:40
Bentley wrote: 14 May 2020 14:09 A holiday with the EX! :whistle1: :whistle1: :whistle1:
Wasn’t an ex when flights booked
Sounds like a good story there but best left at that. Sorry.
I did it my way.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

MickEdge wrote: 14 May 2020 18:39 Still waiting for our refund from the booking company. Got an email saying sorry it’s taking so long, with an estimated refund date, which has now passed. In terms of holidays this year, I’m keeping my expectations low. At the moment the thought of a day trip to a National Trust estate is exciting. I reckon it’ll be staycationing for most this summer, assuming you get in quick when the hospitality industry opens up. I’ll pass on a B&B in Bognor, if that’s all that’s available at my budget. We recently rediscovered the New Forest last winter and a good hotel, so that’s a possibility, but it’s nice to go somewhere that’s warm all the time.

The NT are saying members will have to book time slots so numbers can be controlled....

OH is very nervous about going anywhere which at least means we'll be at home to water plants if nothing else.

Every cloud 🙄
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Hearing that Mayfield had tomatoes sprouting from the pips in tomatoes - I very sceptically did the same one days last week.. all the pips scraped into a pot of earth and stood on the windowsill in the kitchen .... and yes they’re sprouting !

So thankyou Mayfield - if they come to anything I’m not sure what I’m going to do with them, as meanwhile I’ve bought tomato plants :whistle1:
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Mine are beginning to produce 'proper' leaves, the only thing I wonder is if mine are a greenhouse variety and I only have a Veg Trug ( like a cold frame ) but 'll grow a couple on...the very worst that can happen is green tomatoes for chutney which We really like.....

The green chillis didn't, do anything, but zi probably should have used red ones ( because the seed is riper )
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 15 May 2020 05:46 Mine are beginning to produce 'proper' leaves, the only thing I wonder is if mine are a greenhouse variety and I only have a Veg Trug ( like a cold frame ) but 'll grow a couple on...the very worst that can happen is green tomatoes for chutney which We really like.....

The green chillis didn't, do anything, but zi probably should have used red ones ( because the seed is riper )
I think, but not sure now, these seeds were from tomatoes from Sheeplands, as opposed to imported ones from Waitrose...so just maybe more localised. ... so I’ll see how it goes.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

piwacket wrote: 14 May 2020 23:58 Hearing that Mayfield had tomatoes sprouting from the pips in tomatoes - I very sceptically did the same one days last week.. all the pips scraped into a pot of earth and stood on the windowsill in the kitchen .... and yes they’re sprouting !

So thankyou Mayfield - if they come to anything I’m not sure what I’m going to do with them, as meanwhile I’ve bought tomato plants :whistle1:
I remember being told at school that tomato pips often survive being eaten (they do seem to have a mucous covering) and tomato plants would sprout from sewage. I expect the sewage is treated differently now.
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

KeithW wrote: 15 May 2020 09:46
piwacket wrote: 14 May 2020 23:58 Hearing that Mayfield had tomatoes sprouting from the pips in tomatoes - I very sceptically did the same one days last week.. all the pips scraped into a pot of earth and stood on the windowsill in the kitchen .... and yes they’re sprouting !

I remember being told at school that tomato pips often survive being eaten (they do seem to have a mucous covering) and tomato plants would sprout from sewage. I expect the sewage is treated differently now.
At the back of what used to be Woodley aerodrome was the site used by the WRDC to empty their "Sweet Sues" (tankers).
Many people in Woodley collected the tomato plants which grew on the margins of the lagoon.
On this fragrant subject in the winter of 1954 the World Speed Skating Championships were held on a frozen sewage lagoon near Cambridge. I remember it well :whistle1:
I did it my way.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Lovely warm sunny morning. The milkman should have left a 2.5kg bag of Manx spuds on Monday but forgot. They apologised and said they would drop them off this morning.
I had a shock as they delivered a 12.5kg sack of spuds!

I contacted them and they said it was their fault and to keep with their complements, they will only charge for 2.5kg.

So we will "do the mash potato" for some weeks to come.
:orange: :carrot: :orange: :dancepepper:
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Bentley wrote: 15 May 2020 09:56 ...................
At the back of what used to be Woodley aerodrome was the site used by the WRDC to empty their "Sweet Sues" (tankers).
Many people in Woodley collected the tomato plants which grew on the margins of the lagoon.
On this fragrant subject in the winter of 1954 the World Speed Skating Championships were held on a frozen sewage lagoon near Cambridge. I remember it well :whistle1:
That reminds me of when we used to visit Pangbourne (nearly every week) to see grandmother (and other family) we took ours and her dog over the recreation ground as she lived right by it
Over to the far side was fields but between them and the railway bank was a strip of wasteland and the local sewerage farm right at the far end
All the slurry was dumped along the edges of the wasteland – and the tomato plants that grew along there where huge, but difficult to reach (closer ones where regularly stripped bare)

I remember one time we walked along and there was a huge plant with massive beefsteak tomatoes on, about 10-12ft from the edge of a slurry mound, plus…………………….4 foot prints and a big person shaped hole through the crust into the still soft area underneath at about 2ft deep
Imagine that person walking home!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Bam wrote: 20 May 2020 10:01
....I had a shock as they delivered a 12.5kg sack of spuds!

I contacted them and they said it was their fault and to keep with their complements, they will only charge for 2.5kg.
Good grief, that’s about a stone of tatties! They’d be well rotted if that happened to us.... that’s well over what I’d buy in a year!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I buy large potatoes and I know they won’t keep because we don’t eat that many so I mash them and freeze in portions, i good idea that was given to me was anything soft like that or mince flatten the freezer bag as much as you can before sealing it then you can get more in the freezer 😊
BY Paulo Coelho

Return to “Chatty Person”