Reasons to be Cheerful! Good things that happened today

General chat forum
piwacket

Reasons to be Cheerful! Good things that happened today

Post by piwacket »

During this period of ‘doom and gloom’ there must be a few little things, however trivial in the grand scheme of things, that have made you feel a bit more cheerful today?

For me it was a really simple thing, like being able to get some more of the cat food favoured by our 4-legged friends- and a box of Lindt dark truffles, thanks to OHs daughter :beg1:

A reason to be pink instead of blue :clap3:
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Mayfield

Re: Reasons to be Cheerful! Good things that happened today

Post by Mayfield »

My 'good thing' was going to Dudmans in Emmer Green....they have the outside set up like a market stall....good fruit and veg at good prices, and as it was empty I popped into True Food next door and found Pudding rice...hooray 🙂
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

We had our windows cleaned and our lawns cut this week.
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

A lovely walk amongst the cherry blossom in the Harris Garden, and made some leek and potato soup, and later on meatballs with tagliatelle
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Yesterday the sun shone. It wasn't supposed to. Bread was baked and the bin collected. (One bin for everything, collected every 2 weeks).
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Having a face to face (at 2m+) chat with my mate down the road on the way back from the doctors on Wednesday
And doing the same with neighbours etc

Its still better than on-line chatting as gives a good feeling
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

The new neighbours new tree bursting into blossom. The new neighbour telling the barking dog to shut up - and it did!
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 20 Apr 2020 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Early morning walk was dry with little wind Walked until we could just see the sea. Vet came by in a car and farmer out lambing and one cyclist who kept well clear but gave a cheery wave.

Tits going inside all three nest boxes I made, only the RSPB say the hole is too large for tits. Depends how big your tits are I guess.
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 20 Apr 2020 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

So many residents out in the road at 8.00 pm last night applauding all the NHS workers and also. every one else working so hard to keep essential supplies available. We finished with a rousing 3 cheers.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Reasons to be cheerful - Bam working the word tits three times into one sentence 😁
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Well, so far, I woke up and stretched both arms out and couldn't touch wood so I guess I've survived to fight another day? :-) WARNING! Never try that when sleeping in a small caravan, the shock could easily kill you! :whistle1:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Took a lovely walk in Caversham Court yesterday and unearthed some long forgotten treasures in my shed.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Working from home means that when I'm not on conference calls, I can play music. Yesterday and today I've been reminding myself of the beauty of former Byrds frontman Gene Clark's 1974 album "No Other".
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

My neighbour managed to get me some eggs, three bottles of wine and my daily paper 😄
I can read it online but I enjoy sitting doing the crossword in the real thing.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

Lovely to get into my car and go for a drive - even if it was only to Waitrose to pick up my order. Very efficient service, everyone was so nice, and it was great to fill up the fridge and the cupboards and have some chocolate!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

There’s a mass Teddy bear hunt going on all over the world to cheer up children who are confined to home. We’ve all been asked to join in so I’ve put three of my biggest bears in some of the front windows.
BY Paulo Coelho
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Rang the family butcher to see if we could pick up a free range whole chicken. He does not normally deliver but said as we are isolating, he would put one on our doorstep tomorrow. He said not to pay until we get a bill with the chicken "then pay by phone when you can". How trusting is that? So we added on some best rump steak to make it worth the trip out into the wilds.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Over the last few years I have lost a lot of weight...I have been through my wardrobe and sorted out multiple times, but my underwear drawer was due a tidy and yesterday was that day...job done 🙂

Scarves next, but not while the sun is shining 🙂

Liz, we have a bear in the window too 🙂
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Yesterday the elder Voice went to do some grocery shopping for the grandparents. When they got to Asda they found they had a flat tyre. So they sent out an SOS to the Alleged.

Without even being asked, a member of staff - a huge chap apparently - changed their tyre to the spare so they could get to a garage for a new tyre.

By the time The Alleged get to the supermarket, everything had been done and the elder voice was ready to drive. Himself admitted that he wouldn’t have the body weight to do it, and he’s not small.

That was a very kind act by that staff member, which will be remembered.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Bloody hell what were they driving?
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 03 Apr 2020 14:03 There’s a mass Teddy bear hunt going on all over the world to cheer up children who are confined to home. We’ve all been asked to join in so I’ve put three of my biggest bears in some of the front windows.
I haven’t heard about that? Although it’s very rare we see any children per se - mid-teens sometimes, walking home from school - and I’ve got a lot of Teddies I could easily display.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/52124055
Bears always make people smile.
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Pooneil wrote: 04 Apr 2020 09:54 Bloody hell what were they driving?
Only an old Corsa Poo but it IS old and the wheel nuts are pretty much fused on! A couple,of years ago the younger voice managed to blow two tyres whilst driving through road narrowing bells (hadn’t been that way before and totally misjudged the distance between them). The Alledged, the grandfather AND AA man struggled to get the tyres off then. I’m hopeful they will now look at getting a newer model when this is all over.

This is the second time a big nail has found its way into the tyres. I think it’s someone doing DIY and just being careless. But......
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Part of the driving test should be the ability to jack up your car and change a wheel.

Years back my lady boss was driving home when she was flagged down, on a steep hill, by a uniformed man with a large Rolls Royce. He ask if she would give him a hand to change his wheel. He had not noticed that she was wearing hand made high heels with clothes to match.

She declined but did offer to phone his boss, HM Governor of the Isle of Man. The driver had only just started the job. He had been unemployed and went to the labour exchange for work and landed a job as the Governor's chauffeur.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

True. But that’s what the AA is for 😊. Plus the elder voice is probably 9 stone dripping wet.

If the chauffeur needed help then .....
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

I always carry a length of pipe to slide over my wheel brace for extra leverage to remove nuts that have often been over tightened at the tyre centre. I also apply a smear of grease to the threads. There is more to owning a car than driving it.
:car1:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Hopefully that’s sunk in now, amongst other things
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Bam wrote: 04 Apr 2020 10:43 Part of the driving test should be the ability to jack up your car and change a wheel.
Ooh Bam! That’s a bit chauvinist :whistle1:
We’re not all built like Tamara Press!
Having many years ago dislocated my shoulder just wringing out a tea towel, I don’t think using a jack handle would either be possible or feasible- and as VoT has said that’s what the AA/RAC are for.... or a handy hefty fella.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

.... and the sun is shining :carrot:
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Sorry about my remark Pi but if I had said women were not capable, I suspect I would have been put in an even bigger dog house.

Roadside assistance is part of life in the uk I guess but on this small Island I don't bother, as phoning a friend is quicker. I can manage a wheel change ok but carry a board in case of soft ground.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Didn’t even notice any bias Bam. Living in urban places is different I guess and the elder voice does have a ‘Zombie pack’ in the car for minor problems/getting stuck anywhere. Knowing your limits is also a good idea and they knew this was beyond them so they called for the cavalry 😊.

I’d be more concerned with them getting tailgated or stoped for something fake reason/someone trying to open the door at traffic lights etc tbh. Bit morbid to think that way but....

Anyhow, the gras is cut, the furniture taken from under its winter wraps and washed down. The sun is out and bacon sarnies sitting in the garden are the order of the day!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Our paper was put through the letterbox this morning but we don’t know who did it, a very kind thought.
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

I'm happy, I advertised a Stuart Turner engine and waterpump for sale on Facebook this morning and it sold within five minutes! Ok, he lives in Malta, but beggars can't be choosers about who buys things. Looking for a small launch to purchase now so I can deliver it. :whistle1: Just wish things would warm up a trifle, it's looked like rain all day and quite a breeze blowing with it as well so too chilly for any shed work alas. :-( At least it should help to keep the public indoors.

Pete
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Return to “Chatty Person”