Reading Golf Club Development

Mayfield

Re: Reading Golf Club Development

Post by Mayfield »

There are actually very few flats planned, which is what made me wonder …
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Oh ok, I’ve not seen the actual plan just speaking in general from a friend working on a big project in London. They call it pepperpottng? Scattering social housing places amongst the development, rather than concentrating it in one or two areas.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

But the golf club would want to make as much out of it as possible, and not have it despoiled by many plebs undermining their profits.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

And the residents don’t want the traffic, among other things.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

mikejee wrote: 28 Jul 2021 10:14 But the golf club would want to make as much out of it as possible, and not have it despoiled by many plebs undermining their profits.
Ah yes, but you won’t slide your development by the planning committee without ‘affordable housing’ provision. Oh plus a hefty ‘ contribution’ to local infrastructure too.

Agree,Mayfield. The development near Treason Towers was deemed ‘not to adversely affect traffic volumes’. Yeah right. Some days you can’t get off your own drive and parking is now BOTH sides of a narrow road. Nope, no adverse effect at all :banghead:
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

But be fair VoT. A large proportion of those (though not all) are yummy mummies taking and collecting their little darlings to school, not the development.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Now would I say anything like that MJ. :whistle1:
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

mikejee wrote: 28 Jul 2021 12:59 But be fair VoT. A large proportion of those (though not all) are yummy mummies taking and collecting their little darlings to school, not the development.
And a large proportion are probably going on to a job
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Possibly, but, if so then a job that gives them plenty of time to arrive sometimes 20 mins earlier than necessary for dropping and pickup and have a natter with others, dressed in, sometimes, articles of clothing that resemble nightgear or jogging atire
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

piwacket wrote: 27 Jul 2021 23:22
Mayfield wrote: 27 Jul 2021 22:56 I doubt anyone thinks that will be end of the story - apparently at the meeting some councillors were keen to see affordable housing built …probably not what the golf club had in mind .
I think you’re probably right, there’s bound to be another attempt - but also agree it’s probably not what the golf club want :) one could say, ‘why would they’? If Calcot is anything to go by…. However, wouldn’t the developers be obliged to incorporate a percentage within the development?
… and yes, I’ve just read that yet another plan has been put forward - for 200 houses. https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/prope ... d-21913702
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

KEG seem to be making decent progress with support for an arboretum - other organisations interested and people promising support etc

I do think KEG will have to be careful about protesting against the Caversham Park House plans as well or risk looking like NIMBYs , but it’s hard to say as Beechcroft aren’t being very clear…
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Yes, Beechcroft appear to be just presenting possibilities for the Caversham Park mansion site. I went to the presentation today and people seemed to be focussed on asking questions about healthcare provision and traffic as, given the size of the site, the number of houses seemed quite modest.

The visit reminded me just how much the mansion and extensive grounds must have cost the BBC to maintain after they lost government funding.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

In Beechcrofts mail shot they talked about the possibility of ‘some public access’ was anything made clearer about that CAV ?
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

It was a touch vague. At the rear they had included the possibility of a bowling green and croquet lawn plus a trim trail. However there is no provision for people to park for such activities and, when asked whether this would be a gated community, the answer again was somewhat vague. It did seem that the lawns in front of the mansion were for residents' use only.

In a development aimed at the over 55's would four storey town houses be a popular option?

My youngling described the development as accommodation for the circle of life. Houses for late middle aged first, then sheltered accommodation (in the mansion), then into the care home and ultimately a trip down to the bottom of the gardens.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

I’ve just been reading about the new application being made to develop this land
https://keepemmergreen.com/posts/2021/1 ... -golf-club

If you objected to the previous plans - did you know that previous objections are not counted? So you need to object to this new plan!

If I lived nearby I’d certainly object. I do have friends in Kidmore End Road who have objected and aI agree with them.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Nobody particularly wants to see green space built on, but frankly for many of those objecting it’s a bit hypocritical, many houses in the area were built in the last 50 years and no doubt residents then had the same fears. There’s a touch of pulling up the drawbridge…

Also the arguments about facilities don’t really hold water - for schools we have a falling roll at present, and parents are getting more options, plus historically school places follow the developments, not go before. ( Micklands school for example was built some years after ChilternRoad, Mayfield Drive and Micklands estate.
In addition down the chain it may well allow children to have a home in a house with a garden and I feel very strongly that is desirable, not only for their mental health but also physical health too. Affordable homes will be pretty scant in this development, but there will be some.

Doctors are an issue everywhere and there are three surgeries to choose from now.

Yes traffic will increase, but many existing residents travel through lower Caversham without a care , do they worry about that ? No evidence of it so far….

There was a plan to make this land into a kind of country park and there was an email saying they were making good progress but no further mention ?

Frankly as I say I would rather see it remain green space, or a smaller development, but the the tone of some of the emails I have seen is Nimbyism on steroids….

Return to “Property developments in Reading”