Post by dave m »

That "whole generation of kids" will be teenagers now

from memory, none will go anywhere near water for the next ten years
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Re: New Pool at Palmer Park

Post by spectrum64 »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 08 Feb 2022 13:18
All joking aside. It's certainly a good skill to have. You might require it one day, unless of course you don't go anywhere where there's water.
I think this can be overstated from the safety point of view, as the shock of falling into very cold water can overcome even proficient swimmers. Maybe knowing how to swim can even encourage reckless behaviour over-estimating one's ability. Teaching children to swim to keep them safe is not that clear cut.

But certainly swimming is good for exercise and health.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Blimey. Arguing whether knowing how to swim is a good/bad thing...
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

At least if you know how to swim you have a fighting chance if you end up in the water for whatever reason. If you don't know how to swim then your chances of survival are a lot less.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Fed-up wrote: 09 Feb 2022 09:07 At least if you know how to swim you have a fighting chance if you end up in the water for whatever reason. If you don't know how to swim then your chances of survival are a lot less.
This is true, although cold shock is a thing and of course, no river or the sea is a swimming pool....

We were taught to swim as primary kids at school. First in a pool the parents built, then at Arthur Hill (THAT was an experience and a half) then to the Central where most of us did at least one lifesaving award. Once at secondary school, I was quite shocked that there wasn’t any swimming at all on the curriculum. Neither of the schools had a pool, but they didn’t go to the Meadway (which did) or the Central, which was still open at that time.

I don’t swim for leisure but the Alledged does. At least three times a week, they do 40-60 lengths, but then they’ve always been into sports of one kind or another. It would be good if swimming was again part of school life, IMHO it’s probably more valuable than some of the things they do teach.

America has quite a problem with accidental drownings of both adults and children, the majority being non swimmers. Their reasons for not learning are complex, and not all linked to lack of facilities.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Swimming is good as a leisure activity and for people's health, but it is not without its nuances and downsides.

Being taught as a child opens up opportunities later in life as I suspect very few non-swimmers will learn to swim as adults. Many people keep fit and healthy throughout their lives by swimming

As was said, for someone who falls into water, being able to swim gives them a chance to get out which is a good thing. Teaching children to swim was made part of the school curriculum some years ago as data showed that many who had drowned in rivers or lakes were very close to the bank and these were potentially avoidable deaths.

There is a downside though, that for some people being able to swim leads them to take risks by over-estimating their capabilities - swimming further out than they should, not being able to cope with currents, tides or rough seas, for instance. Drownings in these circumstances would never have occurred without being taught to swim.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

I can’t swim either.
As a small child (in Scotland) I was literally ‘dragged’ into the sea by 2 ‘elderly’ aunts, it was freezing cold, with seaweed tangled round my legs - I was terrified and managed to get away and run up the beach. My next encounter with swimming was when I’d come down here aged about 10, and the Junior school insisted on swimming lessons at Kings Meadow Pool! A repeat experience - it was filthy with gawd knows what in the water! Much later going on holiday to the Mediterranean coasts, and with the help of a couple of friends we’d gone with, I very nearly managed it - but there was always the underlying fear that something would tangle around my legs … so that was that. I dislike being on a boat and would certainly never go on a cruise - for numerous reasons not connected with swimming. Years ago I used to help out on a River Barge (holiday) cruise, a huge boat with the Thames Bank always close by and the owners were ‘Life Guard’ trained so felt quite safe :)
So I can’t say I’ve ever regretted or missed the experience.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Swimming is still part of the national curriculum but has been badly affected by COVID and was never done well before then.

The ASA swim stages teach kids personal survival, how to get in and out of water, etc. Plus when they reach a decent stage they can be taught lifeguarding skills.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

From my 4th birthday onwards throughout my school years and into my twenties I used to suffer from bronchitis on a regular basis, with weeks off school each time. My breathing wasn't great at any time, and I certainly couldn't control it in a swimming pool, despite having a number of private lessons. At junior school I used to enjoy the coach ride to the local baths but had to just sit and watch the other kids from the cafeteria, without being able to consume any of the goodies!

As I grew older my chest did improve, and come 3rd year of grammar school I was actually able to run 100m (or maybe it was yards back then) for the school and borough. I know I've never done anything to control it, but even today I still have problems with breathing when my head is under water (even in the shower) and my instinctive reaction is to open my mouth! Hence I still can't swim.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

You should let the Alledged teach you Pi, he is of the Rolf Harris school of learning - he’s a very good teacher. Got some chap doing proper front crawl on holiday in Barbados one year. Looks like a barge but swims like a dolphin does himself 😊

I LOVE boats. Any time we are abroad, we try to go on a catamaran. Usually the smaller vessels so it’s just the crew and maybe four others, tops. I have my Rio moment, and often the aforesaid dolphins swim alongside. I can snorkel, to a degree, but I’d never be brave enough to do the aqualung thing. Makes me shudder thinking of it.

Seeing the fishes and turtles and turtles at close quarters is worth it, and there’s something about a nice nosh up on the boat after a swim.

Mind you, I’ll not be following this lot into the Cornish water anytime soon - west suit or no wet suit!

That’s interesting, Fed-up. I didn’t think they still did school swimming, thanks. Sou’wester - the Alledged has had asthma for probably 15 years now. Managed to get it as a result f cycling in the cold and wet then developing pneumonia. The front crawl swimming style helps control his breathing, he says. Never had an attack in a pool. I know what you mean though, it’s a matter of confidence. I CAN do it, but if I start to think about what I’m doing, I splutter and flap about, but I have mastered the ‘rising’ style of breast stroke if you know what I mean? Nose clips and goggles help a lot, and we both wear them.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 09 Feb 2022 12:54 You should let the Alledged teach you Pi, he is of the Rolf Harris school of learning - he’s a very good teacher. Got some chap doing proper front crawl on holiday in Barbados one year. Looks like a barge but swims like a dolphin does himself 😊
The alleged sounds like one of those friends I spoke of - 6’6” and the build to go with it, ex-Life-guard in Cornwall, he was incredibly patient and if we’d been there another week - well maybe! I certainly felt very safe with him guiding me, but if he stepped away, panic would set in …. So anyway, I thought I’d never swim in a pool, from what I’d seen of people in pools on holiday and doubted the pools in Reading would be much better ….
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

piwacket wrote: 09 Feb 2022 13:03
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 09 Feb 2022 12:54 You should let the Alledged teach you Pi, he is of the Rolf Harris school of learning - he’s a very good teacher. Got some chap doing proper front crawl on holiday in Barbados one year. Looks like a barge but swims like a dolphin does himself 😊
The alleged sounds like one of those friends I spoke of - 6’6” and the build to go with it, ex-Life-guard in Cornwall, he was incredibly patient and if we’d been there another week - well maybe! I certainly felt very safe with him guiding me, but if he stepped away, panic would set in …. So anyway, I thought I’d never swim in a pool, from what I’d seen of people in pools on holiday and doubted the pools in Reading would be much better ….
Yep, just half a foot too short :roflol3:

Actually, it’s not fair to call him a barge. More like a Walrus on dry land :-)
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

OH learned to swim when he was in his 40s, he realised that if one of the boys fell into the river/sea he’s either have to stand and watch them drown or jump in and drown with them. He’s not a good swimmer but he could save himself.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Surely there can't be any argument. It's better to know how to swim than not. IMO - it should be taught in all schools.

Likewise, I think sign language should be. It's a great skill to have. And certainly something I'd have prefer to learn over something like religious studies.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

I was taught to swim at the age of 19 years when I joined the Police Force. As it was put to me we at the time took an oath and part of that oath was the preservation of LIFE and PROPERTY. AS I lived in a Town with 2 rivers if someone fell into one of them as a Constable it was my duty to try and save them.Those of course were the days of compassion. I suppose by today’s standards if someone wants to commit suicide and jumps into the river with the intention to comit suicide, and as a Constable you jump into the river to save them. You will be accused of interfering with their civil liberties, and charged with assault and thrown out of the Police Force.

so I would with my old ignorance I would say, this would be another amenity for the people of Reading, which has little else to offer It’s citizens.

To move onto another subject. Reading Borough Council is to make The Mount a residential only parking zone between 8;am and 8pm 7;days a week which will drive a nail in the coffin of Progress Theatre who’s car park can only cater for 20;vehicles.so no parking, no people going to the Theatre. My view is change Progress Theatre into a NIGHT CLUB. OPEN BETWEEN 8pm And 8am then the residents will really have something to complain about

SO THIS IS DEMOCRATIC LIFE IN READING 2022
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

BOY RACER wrote: 09 Feb 2022 14:36 I was taught to swim at the age of 19 years when I joined the Police Force. As it was put to me we at the time took an oath and part of that oath was the preservation of LIFE and PROPERTY. AS I lived in a Town with 2 rivers if someone fell into one of them as a Constable it was my duty to try and save them.Those of course were the days of compassion. I suppose by today’s standards if someone wants to commit suicide and jumps into the river with the intention to comit suicide, and as a Constable you jump into the river to save them. You will be accused of interfering with their civil liberties, and charged with assault and thrown out of the Police Force.

so I would with my old ignorance I would say, this would be another amenity for the people of Reading, which has little else to offer It’s citizens.

To move onto another subject. Reading Borough Council is to make The Mount a residential only parking zone between 8;am and 8pm 7;days a week which will drive a nail in the coffin of Progress Theatre who’s car park can only cater for 20;vehicles.so no parking, no people going to the Theatre. My view is change Progress Theatre into a NIGHT CLUB. OPEN BETWEEN 8pm And 8am then the residents will really have something to complain about

SO THIS IS DEMOCRATIC LIFE IN READING 2022
Judging by some accounts of ambulance crews being refused permission to help people I would think it possible they might be condemned for putting their own life in danger
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

BOY RACER wrote: 09 Feb 2022 14:36 ... accused of interfering with their civil liberties, and charged with assault and thrown out of the Police Force .
What a wonderful imagination you have. But out here in the real world, police officers still get praised and awarded for saving drowning people:
I'll buy you another pint at the next forum meetup (?) if you can find any story of a UK police officer being convicted of assault and/or sacked for saving a drowning person.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

chris_j_wood wrote: 09 Feb 2022 15:28
BOY RACER wrote: 09 Feb 2022 14:36 ... accused of interfering with their civil liberties, and charged with assault and thrown out of the Police Force .
What a wonderful imagination you have. But out here in the real world, police officers still get praised and awarded for saving drowning people:
I'll buy you another pint at the next forum meetup (?) if you can find any story of a UK police officer being convicted of assault and/or sacked for saving a drowning person.
I would have thought that you would have thought that I was FIGURATIVELY SPEAKING. :banghead: Is there no hope? :banghead:
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Rivermead pool is going to be closed for about a month for repairs.....

18th Feb - 14th March.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

And Thames Lido has a waiting list for membership. Only £65 a month too.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I sympathise with Progress but if the parking restrictions are triggered by residents then maybe looking for a solution might be better?

It could be that the University or Abbey School could allow some parking (nobody checks University parking in the evenings) or the council could grant a number of street permits to be used in certain hours, issued with bookings? Similar to visitor permits?

I support places like businesses or entertainment venues that have a longer history than newer residents (don't complain about a pub if you moved next door to a pub) but there could be a half way house allowing Progress parking 7-11 or so?

Councils do not randomly install restrictions off their own bat. They respond to complaints and requests.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Ah Thames Lido. The place where couples go so they can add a photo to their socials to tell the world what a romantic time they're having.
piwacket

Re: New Pool at Palmer Parkue

Post by piwacket »

dave m wrote: 10 Feb 2022 12:56 I sympathise with Progress but if the parking restrictions are triggered by residents then maybe looking for a solution might be better?

It could be that the University or Abbey School could allow some parking (nobody checks University parking in the evenings) or the council could grant a number of street permits to be used in certain hours, issued with bookings? Similar to visitor permits?

I support places like businesses or entertainment venues that have a longer history than newer residents (don't complain about a pub if you moved next door to a pub) but there could be a half way house allowing Progress parking 7-11 or so?

Councils do not randomly install restrictions off their own bat. They respond to complaints and requests.
On the face of it Dave it’s a devastating prospect - but yes, I for one have thought of the Parking permit possibility… it wouldn’t altogether solve the problem - there’s Matinees too to be considered. Our car park will take 20-25 vehicles dependent on size of them of course and with some shows that could be cast and crew - then there’s disabled patrons - or at least those who can’t walk far… OK they could be dropped off and the driver go elsewhere, but that’s not ideal, especially if they’re both elderly - it’s a fair step from the Uni.
And yes, it’s likely this in answer to many residents ‘beef’ - quite a few are supportive of the theatre, but there’s quite a few who’ve been trying to make life uncomfortable for us for a long time, despite as you say having moved there long after the theatre was established. And unlike a pub, people don’t exit and then make lots of noise. Although we make it clear by various means that we’re in a residential area so please respect that - the majority of people do that anyway.
It’s ironic in a way because the Council give generous support to us (not particularly financially) in presenting the Summer production in the Abbey Ruins, and we were last year awarded ‘The Queen’s Award to recognise outstanding voluntary work done in their own communities’. :)
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

what about Reading Alternative School/Phoenix/Hamilton?
almost opposite and might be amenable?

However I think they are due to move and the building would go to residential?
I understand that some Mount complaints were due to hospital staff parking?
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

chris_j_wood wrote: 10 Feb 2022 12:36 And Thames Lido has a waiting list for membership. Only £65 a month too.
Website looks like you can go as a non member and get a swim, sauna and gym for two hours for £20. That doesn’t seem too bad, does it? Even I might be tempted to go along and see what it’s like. A couple hours, lunch and a walk along the Thames etc, would make a nice afternoon.

If you’re into that sort of thing, would be a good try before you buy. Presumably they know their customers and have set their rates accordingly. Places like pure gym are pretty cheap, aren’t they?
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

How it started

How it's going

chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 10 Feb 2022 14:31 Even I might be tempted to go along and see what it’s like.
I have been, albeit last year when they were rationing access to the pool itself to pre-booked members only. A couple of friends of mine are members and we met up for breakfast after their daily swim. The place is stunning on the inside, and the food was good too, and not that expensive. I must confess I was tempted until I discovered how long the waiting list was and how much the membership was.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

dave m wrote: 10 Feb 2022 14:11 what about Reading Alternative School/Phoenix/Hamilton?
almost opposite and might be amenable?

However I think they are due to move and the building would go to residential?
I understand that some Mount complaints were due to hospital staff parking?
Hospital staff - and Students - but we get the blame! That’s what triggered the last lot of Parking restrictions a couple of years ago. The fact that those were mainly in day-hours and we rarely, except for the occasional Matinees are there during the day, and they’re only on a Saturday. If anyone is there during the day it’s only a couple of people maybe building a set now and then, and they park in our own car park. That’s what I meant about endeavouring to make life uncomfortable. The houses alongside one side of the car park are hospital staff residences.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

chris_j_wood wrote: 10 Feb 2022 14:54
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 10 Feb 2022 14:31 Even I might be tempted to go along and see what it’s like.
I have been, albeit last year when they were rationing access to the pool itself to pre-booked members only. A couple of friends of mine are members and we met up for breakfast after their daily swim. The place is stunning on the inside, and the food was good too, and not that expensive. I must confess I was tempted until I discovered how long the waiting list was and how much the membership was.
Must admit it does look nice from the pics. Must get along there - and breakfast you say? Yum!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

It's a shame we're not getting a 50m pool.

Still, I suppose those late accounts won't pay for themselves and cuts have to made somewhere.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

50M pools are not common.
When the Central was first being discussed as bing up for closure and I did a search for the number of 50M pools in the UK
despite people's claims that a 50M pool was "vital" there are very few in comparison.

there are about ten Olympic sized pools (50x25) and about forty 50M pools in the UK

that's out of aprox 4,000 pools
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

As someone with young kids, I do think the swimming pool situation in Reading has been badly handled. It's harder than it should be to take young kids swimming at the moment. I understand the pandemic has probably effected the timelines for the Rivermead and Palmer Park upgrades, but even the existing pools are run badly - the leisure pool at Rivermead seems to be closed indefinitely. Meadway allocates 2hrs 15mins for family swim on a Saturday afternoon and it's impossible to book via their website. The primary school my kids go to used to offer swimming in Year 3 and 5...but due to Covid that has been suspended.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford to pay for lessons, but I feel for families who don't have a car or money for private memberships because it's simply not convenient at the moment to find and get to family swimming sessions in Reading. I'm supportive of this council on most things, but swimming for families is really inadequate.
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

dave m wrote: 11 Feb 2022 10:52 50M pools are not common.
I think that's a reason why it would have been nice though - it could have been a bit of a beacon for events and serious swimmers, and offered increased capacity for the town too. I imagine it wasn't done because of costs (as oppose to lack of ambition)...but as they were starting from a relatively blank slate, it feels a shame the money couldn't be found.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Bulmershe Leisure Centre has a pool
https://www.placesleisure.org/centres/b ... ium=button

So does Loddon Vale
https://www.placesleisure.org/centres/l ... ium=button

Probably both under WBC…?
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

piwacket wrote: 11 Feb 2022 12:01 Bulmershe Leisure Centre has a pool
https://www.placesleisure.org/centres/b ... ium=button

So does Loddon Vale
https://www.placesleisure.org/centres/l ... ium=button

Probably both under WBC…?
Thanks Pi - Loddon Valley is decent (at least the website works too!) and we sometimes go there. Tt can take a while to get over there on a Saturday if traffic is bad, but needs must. I hadn't thought of Bulmershe. Their website doesn't seem to have a pool timetable at the moment, but I'll check back later or give them a call.

Return to “Reading talk”