New Pool at Palmer Park

chat about the town here ...
OLDMAN

New Pool at Palmer Park

Post by OLDMAN »

YEH - After waiting almost 17yrs since it was first talked about, we are now going to get a pool built in Palmer Park (possibly as no agreed plans yet) -

Yes another 2yrs to wait but after waiting this long what can be said!

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... h-leisure/
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Re: New Pool at Palmer Park

Post by Fed-up »

I'll believe it when I see it! Shame it's not going to be as convenient as Arthur Hill which had a number of buses stop directly outside it.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

True, but it’s only a 3.5min walk from the Wokingham Rd stops and 5mins from the London Rd stops which are the same bus's that ran past AH
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Still makes it harder to go for a quick dip at lunch time though. AH was ideal for that. 5 mins on the bus from TVP, quick 30 minute swim and back again within the hour.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Ah yes, can see why for you now and guessing using the shuttle bus, which then doesn’t have a stop by Palmer Park!

It is good for people that live around here as we haven’t had a pool since AH closed, and Bulmershe was shut for refurb (opens soon)
And TBH that and the other alternative, Loddon Valley Leisure Centre in Lower Early, aren’t on good bus routes
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

shorter bus journey from TVP, cross the park from London Road, I doubt if there's a couple of mins in it.
ask the TVP shuttle people to include a stop
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

They could incorporate the extra stop into the revised timetable changes they will make once the park-n-ride opens!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Doubt anything to do with the proposed pool - but does anyone know what all the fencing in Palmer park is for.

Also as an aside Where does the culvert carrying the whiteknights lake water actually run ?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Not sure about the fencing, saw them doing that at the weekend – do wonder if some event coming up as they often fence bits off for that

As for WK stream – up until the late 80’s when the school was built (and the brickworks had gone) it was above ground and ran to the far corner where the junction of Crescent Rd is – but that all that's shown on maps
WK STREAM.jpg
After that it supposedly goes a bit deeper underground at Wokingham Rd, and surveys I’ve heard about say it goes across and under there, Palmer Park, the railway and then it went under Suttons Seeds (and been told they drew water off it but no concrete evidence of that)

It then runs under the railway and across the field to the Thames
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

thanks

Whatever they are doing in PP is pretty big, they seem to have created a 10m wide lane of Heras fencing running from the car park of the Park reform church parallel to Palmer Pk avenue and then looping around the back of the track
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

OLDMAN wrote: 28 Jan 2020 12:57 As for WK stream – up until the late 80’s when the school was built (and the brickworks had gone) it was above ground and ran to the far corner where the junction of Crescent Rd is – but that all that's shown on maps
I presume you mean 1880s. Alfred Sutton School, which now occupies that far corner, is obviously a lot older than the 1980s.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

chris_j_wood wrote: 28 Jan 2020 13:54
OLDMAN wrote: 28 Jan 2020 12:57 As for WK stream – up until the late 80’s when the school was built (and the brickworks had gone) it was above ground and ran to the far corner where the junction of Crescent Rd is – but that all that's shown on maps
I presume you mean 1880s. Alfred Sutton School, which now occupies that far corner, is obviously a lot older than the 1980s.
Yes, my bad
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ReadingBiker wrote: 28 Jan 2020 13:37 thanks

Whatever they are doing in PP is pretty big, they seem to have created a 10m wide lane of Heras fencing running from the car park of the Park reform church parallel to Palmer Pk avenue and then looping around the back of the track
Didn't realise that big - first thing that springs to mind is more electrical cables being put through, we've had 2 lots already and a third bit has just finished along the A4 down to park area!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Just been told - it is part of the SSE power works
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

According to Cllr Jason Brock and I quote "the new leisure facilities remain firmly on track".

Despite the fact work was supposed to start in 2018 with completion by 2020. I'm not sure being 2 to 3 years late could be classed as "firmly on track".

I supposed their voters believe this guff?
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 06 Feb 2022 12:54 Despite the fact work was supposed to start in 2018 with completion by 2020. I'm not sure being 2 to 3 years late could be classed as "firmly on track".
According to my dictionary, "on track" means "following a course that is likely to achieve what is required". I think you may be mixing it up with "on schedule".
ChipbuttyG wrote: 06 Feb 2022 12:54 I supposed their voters believe this guff?
I think most voters are more concerned about the blatant lying elsewhere in the government at the moment, and the total absence of any moral compass that illustrates. Whatever the sins of RBC are, they fade into the background compared to that. Brutus, Brutus, where art thow.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Going to do a repeat post to correct the dates mentioned
It was only ‘decided’ in 2018 that a new pool would be built – NOT started that year as it had to be consulted on / planning sorted etc

As I posted on another thread once before – and at the moment they are ahead of schedule

Interesting reading but a bit out if you know the history of it all - RBC never promised a pool by 2003 as that about the time it was ‘first’ discussed (as I keep saying about 20yrs ago)
Questionnaires for consultation where only sent out back then, mainly around East Reading – I had one / filled it in and returned it
At the time the proposal was the pool would be in the rear / far corner with access via Palmer Park Ave, and that was most residents biggest concern as would impact traffic due to the one way system so questions were asked
More consultations happened in 2005 with more questionnaires etc, but still no decision made
It never went any further apart from being brought up at various meeting over time discussing where it would go / access etc – I know as went to some of them
About 2012/13 money was spent on Arthur Hills to keep it going but it wasn’t enough and was closed in 2016as unsafe for use – The campaign group had been harrying the council before that and started asking more questions about it all as now no pool in the area.................................................p.s. – I am in that group.................

The PP pool was still being discussed and eventually agreed in 2018, – planning permission began being raised in late 2019 but was held back due to Covid and eventually went in under Application Number 201735 on.......................4th December 2020 - its easy to look up – and since been granted hence work has now started!
http://planning.reading.gov.uk/fastweb_ ... &Postcode=
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

chris_j_wood wrote: 06 Feb 2022 20:35
ChipbuttyG wrote: 06 Feb 2022 12:54 Despite the fact work was supposed to start in 2018 with completion by 2020. I'm not sure being 2 to 3 years late could be classed as "firmly on track".
According to my dictionary, "on track" means "following a course that is likely to achieve what is required". I think you may be mixing it up with "on schedule".
ChipbuttyG wrote: 06 Feb 2022 12:54 I supposed their voters believe this guff?
I think most voters are more concerned about the blatant lying elsewhere in the government at the moment, and the total absence of any moral compass that illustrates. Whatever the sins of RBC are, they fade into the background compared to that. Brutus, Brutus, where art thow.
The requirement being that the new pool is ready to go when the old one closes, so that people have somewhere to swim in east Reading. It'll be 7 (seven) years. Like I say, it's not "on track" at all.

THE FORUM IS CALLED "Reading talk" - Sorry for sticking to the subject Chris. Perhaps you need to post your anti Government stuff on the relevant forum instead of whataboutism on here.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 07 Feb 2022 08:13 Going to do a repeat post to correct the dates mentioned
It was only ‘decided’ in 2018 that a new pool would be built – NOT started that year as it had to be consulted on / planning sorted etc

As I posted on another thread once before – and at the moment they are ahead of schedule

Interesting reading but a bit out if you know the history of it all - RBC never promised a pool by 2003 as that about the time it was ‘first’ discussed (as I keep saying about 20yrs ago)
Questionnaires for consultation where only sent out back then, mainly around East Reading – I had one / filled it in and returned it
At the time the proposal was the pool would be in the rear / far corner with access via Palmer Park Ave, and that was most residents biggest concern as would impact traffic due to the one way system so questions were asked
More consultations happened in 2005 with more questionnaires etc, but still no decision made
It never went any further apart from being brought up at various meeting over time discussing where it would go / access etc – I know as went to some of them
About 2012/13 money was spent on Arthur Hills to keep it going but it wasn’t enough and was closed in 2016as unsafe for use – The campaign group had been harrying the council before that and started asking more questions about it all as now no pool in the area.................................................p.s. – I am in that group.................

The PP pool was still being discussed and eventually agreed in 2018, – planning permission began being raised in late 2019 but was held back due to Covid and eventually went in under Application Number 201735 on.......................4th December 2020 - its easy to look up – and since been granted hence work has now started!
They are not ahead of schedule. LOL.

Your information needs correcting OM. Work was going to start in 2018 with completion by 2020. IT SAID THIS ON THE COUNCIL WEBSITE. They've since deleted it because they haven't kept to schedule.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 07 Feb 2022 09:20 They are not ahead of schedule. LOL.

Your information needs correcting OM. Work was going to start in 2018 with completion by 2020. IT SAID THIS ON THE COUNCIL WEBSITE. They've since deleted it because they haven't kept to schedule.

Whatever - what does it matter to you anyway - you apparently are moving away to pastures new - maybe they’ll have a ready-built pool you can use -or not!
Should we warn the Council for your new residence that you’ll be ‘watching them’ ?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

piwacket wrote: 07 Feb 2022 12:47
ChipbuttyG wrote: 07 Feb 2022 09:20 They are not ahead of schedule. LOL.

Whatever - what does it matter to you anyway - you apparently are moving away to pastures new - maybe they’ll have a ready-built pool you can use -or not :whistle1:
:offtopic1:

I'm just correcting false information regarding the new leisure facilities.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 07 Feb 2022 09:20
OLDMAN wrote: 07 Feb 2022 08:13 Going to do a repeat post to correct the dates mentioned

They are not ahead of schedule. LOL.

You are obviously blind to what is written - Arthur Hills closed at the end of 2016 and it was through petitions and appeals by various local councillors / groups / public that prompted action through in 2017/2018 to sort out the new pool – one was to reopen AH until the new one was done and I know they never announced 2018 for 2020 as it was only agreed to discuss in 2017 to build one so and that when the agreement was made in 2018 - I was involved and attended all the meetings at the time and was involved in the consultations –
https://consult.reading.gov.uk/dens/con ... ment-fram/

And if you look at my planning link you will see its all dated 2020 (I’ll put it on again in case you missed it the first time)

That showed ready by late 2021 / open early in 2022, it was then announced in April 2020 it was being delayed due to Covid – hence its now going to be finished end 2022 / open early 2023 - but they are thinking open end of 2022 - which will be ahead of schedule
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

"both new pools will be open for public use by 2020"

That is exactly the information put on Reading Borough Council's website and has since been deleted. The planning was put in, in 2020, the year the new leisure facilities were supposed to be completed, that's why the planning will say 2020.

Here are two articles.

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/work- ... s-delayed/

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... tral-pool/

"In October 2016 Policy Committee accepted a report which gave a target date of January 2020 for opening a new swimming pool in Palmer Park."

Which corroborates the info put on the council website which they've deleted. So, to make it clear, the new leisure facilities are going to be 2 to 3 years late and cost the taxpayer more money, in the region of £2m+.
Last edited by ChipbuttyG on 08 Feb 2022 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Some more info on failed promises.

"Cllr Gittings told me over the phone we'd have that new pool in Palmer Park "in 2 years" .. that was in the autumn of 2016!" - Jon Overton via Facebook.

"That's nothing - the Council first promised to build a new swimming pool in East Reading in 2003 - and promised that they would not close Arthur Hill Pool until the new pool was built." - Save Arthur Hill pool via Facebook.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Cllr Paul Gittings (2016)

"A point of clarification on the council's plan to build a much improved and modern new swimming pool and sports hub in east Reading by 2020. We appreciated that campaigners are concerned at the length of time between Arthur Hill closing and the new facilities opening to the public, but the unprecedented government cuts we are facing means we can no longer afford to subsidise a facility which is losing money. I have heard it said - and it was repeated in the Chronicle's article last week - that the timescale for delivering two new pools at Palmer Park and Rivermead was not revealed by the Council until after the decision to close Arthur Hill was made. That is not correct. We were clear both in the deferred police committee report of September 26, and in the full council report of October 18, that the new pools would take three to four years to open."

Arthur Hill closed in 2016, plus "three to four years" = 2019/2020.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

As one of those reports state -
Council bosses have admitted the building of two new Reading swimming pools will be delayed as it has taken longer than expected to do the paperwork.

That was correct but stupidly they forgot: a. They had to do a consultation, b. They hadn't applied for planning at that stage

But they hadn't been promised for those dates by the full council, just a couple of idiots spouting off at the time
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

OLDMAN wrote: 07 Feb 2022 15:35 just a couple of idiots spouting off at the time
Idiots spouting off, surely people don't do that? Oh.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

The same ones never seem to take the hint.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Any way to make things simple for people to understand.

If the council publish that 'work will start in 2018 with completion by 2020' on their own website and the new facilities aren't going to be ready until, late 2022/2023, they're going to be late by 2 to 3 years.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 08 Feb 2022 09:10 If the council publish that 'work will start in 2018 with completion by 2020' on their own website and the new facilities aren't going to be ready until, late 2022/2023, they're going to be late by 2 to 3 years.
Hey Chipbutty, there is an excellect web site called the Wayback Machine that captures snapshots of web pages and keeps them for perpetuity. With a bit of luck and some perseverance, you should be able to find an snapshot of the RBC web page that says 'work will start in 2018 with completion by 2020' and will be able to take the council to task and brag about your success here. That would get you out of the sort of 'you said', 'no I didn't' arguments that tend to be fruitless and often turn off the people you are trying to talk to.

Going forward, if there are claims on the RBC (or anybody else's) web site that you think you might like to challenge them on in the future, you can cut and paste the url into the Wayback Machine and make sure it captures an snapshot. It doesn't cost anything beyond a few seconds of your time.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

chris_j_wood wrote: 08 Feb 2022 10:38
ChipbuttyG wrote: 08 Feb 2022 09:10 If the council publish that 'work will start in 2018 with completion by 2020' on their own website and the new facilities aren't going to be ready until, late 2022/2023, they're going to be late by 2 to 3 years.
Hey Chipbutty, there is an excellect web site called the Wayback Machine that captures snapshots of web pages and keeps them for perpetuity. With a bit of luck and some perseverance, you should be able to find an snapshot of the RBC web page that says 'work will start in 2018 with completion by 2020' and will be able to take the council to task and brag about your success here. That would get you out of the sort of 'you said', 'no I didn't' arguments that tend to be fruitless and often turn off the people you are trying to talk to.

Going forward, if there are claims on the RBC (or anybody else's) web site that you think you might like to challenge them on in the future, you can cut and paste the url into the Wayback Machine and make sure it captures an snapshot. It doesn't cost anything beyond a few seconds of your time.
Cheers Chris. Most helpful!

"construction of both new pools will begin later in 2018. The current timetable is that both new pools will be open for public use by 2020".
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Does it actually matter?
I get the complaint about what was said then/now

But the pool is being built.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

dave m wrote: 08 Feb 2022 11:59 Does it actually matter?
I get the complaint about what was said then/now

But the pool is being built.
Perhaps ask the residents of east Reading who will have been without a swimming pool for the best part of 7 (seven) years. A whole generation of kids missing out on a vital life skill....
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 08 Feb 2022 12:26 missing out on a vital life skill....
I can't swim. It can't be that vital.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Souwester wrote: 08 Feb 2022 12:59
ChipbuttyG wrote: 08 Feb 2022 12:26 missing out on a vital life skill....
I can't swim. It can't be that vital.
I'm sure there are many people in Reading, especially east Reading that can't swim too....

All joking aside. It's certainly a good skill to have. You might require it one day, unless of course you don't go anywhere where there's water.

Return to “Reading talk”