Town centre development video

Norbert
Contributor

Town centre development video

Post by Norbert »

This video seems quite remarkable.

My first thought is that what they are proposing is not that bad.

https://www.tvproperty.co.uk/news/video ... al-reading
peterson
Super Contributor

Re: Town centre development video

Post by peterson »

Investment is needed into that section of Broad St. But I'd rather see them open up a pedestrian link through the site. Ideally some kind of arcade for small independents, with flats above if needs be.
Norbert
Contributor

Post by Norbert »

I agree.

I miss being able to go through Littlewoods and, many years ago, Woolies from Broad Street to Friar Street.

Union Street is a bit grim these days as a cut through.
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

This old map shows a lane going through this site called Pig Market:
https://i2-prod.getreading.co.uk/incomi ... 490204.jpg
I can't find any further information on that, or any old photos showing a lane (or a pig market!)
Anyone know more?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

We ( a group of friends and me) did some research on this a while back and its thought to be roughly still there, but could never confirm it -
piggy.jpg
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Norbert
Contributor

Post by Norbert »

Good grief. I never knew that.

Surprising that they could just consume a road into an old development but I suppose that happened with the Broad Street Mall too.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Norbert wrote: 24 Dec 2019 15:45 Good grief. I never knew that.

Surprising that they could just consume a road into an old development but I suppose that happened with the Broad Street Mall too.
And the opposite happened with Queen Victoria Street.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

peterson wrote: 22 Dec 2019 22:06 Investment is needed into that section of Broad St. But I'd rather see them open up a pedestrian link through the site. Ideally some kind of arcade for small independents, with flats above if needs be.
Agree. Especially with the Friar St to Garrard St development. A decent width arcade would open up Friar St and link it so much better than Smelly Alley, a non too attractive route, unless your mobile needs repair.

The video suggests the objective is to build flats, so if it ever gets to a planning application the developer might see the attraction of an arcade, rather than a few large retail/leisure units. Do town centre developers know what the right type of retail will be required in the future, anymore the any of us do?

Return to “Property developments in Reading”