The silly politics thread

General chat forum
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Re: The silly politics thread

Post by Fed-up »

Frank Blank wrote: 13 Jul 2020 23:31 Well thank God they haven't included pubs. I wouldn't have put it past them to insist on special masks allowing for straws to be used.
Available now on Etsy, for example - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/8105217 ... straw-hole
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I thought it was pretty ironic when Naga on BBC Breakfast said to the girl who now has her statue on the plinth where Colston used to be 'so now there will be a plaque and people will be able to see what happened ' giving scant mention to the fact that it’s up there quite illegally.....

So if there had been a plaque on Colston statue ( which I believe was planned ) it would still be there ?
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Mayfield wrote: 15 Jul 2020 12:49
So if there had been a plaque on Colston statue ( which I believe was planned ) it would still be there ?
The council applied to fit a reworded plaque in 2018 but there was a lot of wrangling about the wording.
There was stalemate as the "pro- colston " society wanted to soften his involvement and objected to the wording.

The statue may not have planning but "illegal" is a bit harsh.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Yes, I know about the delay re the plaque, but I'm afraid as the new statue doesn't have permission and was apparently put up overnight ( so secretly ) it remains illegal....if it stays it will smack of ' one rule for one, another rule for others' which will create ill will ...
Why not put it in the museum, next to Colston 😉
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

I note it is made from resin, a trend which seems to be common nowadays, no doubt easy and quick, though not, to my mind a workm of art and , as the "sculptor" said on tv today, not permanent. When a rather revolting "plastic" sculpture was imposed on the citizens of Birmingham someone set light to it.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Mayfield wrote: 15 Jul 2020 12:49 I thought it was pretty ironic when Naga on BBC Breakfast said to the girl who now has her statue on the plinth where Colston used to be 'so now there will be a plaque and people will be able to see what happened ' giving scant mention to the fact that it’s up there quite illegally.....
Which law has been broken?
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

No law has been broken, though that would not be true if it was London rather than Bristol. But do we want hoards of fly-by-nights littering the place whenever they happen to want to promote their cause. Do we want forests of Rees-Moggs or bumblings of Johnsons to deface the streets ?
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

The statue and plinth are Grade II listed, so any alterations without permission are subject to regulations and laws.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

KeithW wrote: 15 Jul 2020 15:14
Mayfield wrote: 15 Jul 2020 12:49 I thought it was pretty ironic when Naga on BBC Breakfast said to the girl who now has her statue on the plinth where Colston used to be 'so now there will be a plaque and people will be able to see what happened ' giving scant mention to the fact that it’s up there quite illegally.....

Try putting up and extension without permission and I expect someone would come round to tell you in very short order....

I am in no way pro Colston , but why not apply for permission to replace it or come up with some viable scheme where people of note feature.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Fed-up wrote: 14 Jul 2020 09:37
Frank Blank wrote: 13 Jul 2020 23:31 Well thank God they haven't included pubs. I wouldn't have put it past them to insist on special masks allowing for straws to be used.
Available now on Etsy, for example - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/8105217 ... straw-hole
Michael Gove has just said they won't be extending masks to offices. So based on previous experience that probably means it will be mandatory in a couple of weeks, with pubs to follow. Can I buy shares in Etsy. :-)
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Mayfield wrote: 15 Jul 2020 16:46
KeithW wrote: 15 Jul 2020 15:14
Try putting up and extension without permission and I expect someone would come round to tell you in very short order....
Depends who you are, in my all too real experience.

But anyway, the question was 'what law has been broken' in response to "...the fact that it’s up there quite illegally..." and it seems you don't know. So absent evidence to the contrary, your statement was incorrect.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

The mayor of Bristol has said that the statue will come down, and that a replacement is planned for the plinth at some point.

The sculpture is actually very good. Just because it's made of resin doesn't detract from it's artistic worth.

You can't use "the old one was listed" as a claim for the new one being illegal.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Quite rightly the Bristol powers that be say that there will be a democratic process to decide what should go in that space.

KeithW ...I guess there are planning laws/ regulations no doubt something would fit....🙂
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

This story seems to fit the title of this thread exceptionally well, you really couldn't make it up :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... yling.html
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Mayfield wrote: 15 Jul 2020 20:34 Quite rightly the Bristol powers that be say that there will be a democratic process to decide what should go in that space.

KeithW ...I guess there are planning laws/ regulations no doubt something would fit....🙂
If you're gonna make statements about the law, which you explicitly did, then be prepared to back them up. 'No doubt something would fit' won't get you very far. Best stop digging.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Mayfield wrote: 15 Jul 2020 23:17 This story seems to fit the title of this thread exceptionally well, you really couldn't make it up :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... yling.html
After his previous performances, including giving a ferry contract to a company with no ships, the idea that the Tories would put "Failing Grayling" in as chair of the Intelligence Committee seemed like the set-up for a Spitting Image gag...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

KeithW wrote: 15 Jul 2020 23:34
Mayfield wrote: 15 Jul 2020 20:34 Quite rightly the Bristol powers that be say that there will be a democratic process to decide what should go in that space.

If you're gonna make statements about the law, which you explicitly did, then be prepared to back them up. 'No doubt something would fit' won't get you very far. Best stop digging.
Lighten up KeithW , the meaning was clear. The whole operation was carried out without permission, under cover of darkness. It was with out sanction, not supposed to be there etc. End of.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

dave m wrote: 15 Jul 2020 19:32 The mayor of Bristol has said that the statue will come down, and that a replacement is planned for the plinth at some point.

The sculpture is actually very good. Just because it's made of resin doesn't detract from it's artistic worth.
I too think it's rather good and pretty striking, and I can't get too exercised about its appearance there - whilst it's certainly unauthorised, from listening to the artist, it was only ever intended as a temporary installation, as something to keep the conversation progressing. And whilst it may be unauthorised, nobody was hurt, it didn't cause an outbreak of pig blight, it's not as if all the local firstborn died; it's really nothing to get too hot under the collar about. I was far more annoyed by the vast swathes of people in two local supermarkets yesterday who weren't wearing masks (roll on next Friday) and acted like they thought "Social Distancing" was an obscure early '80s new wave album, rather than a necessary health precaution - the so-called "1 metre plus" being interpreted more as "0.1 metre minus"...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

My original point was that I thought it ironic that the subject said it was there so generations to come would know what happened...., Colston could have easily served the same purpose. Keep the statues and have explanatory text nearby ( which was planned ) and provide an opportunity for education, or sweep history away and forget .
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

The problem was that some people didn't agree with a second plaque or the text. Some insisted on watering down the explanation. The majority of protesters were Bristolian and were fed up with the stale mate. I doubt the removal was planned, but it happened.
Hopefully this will kick start moves to correctly represent history
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

I note the statue was removed earlier this morning. Apparently there had been complaints to the council about fly tipping. :-)
'Let's Go Brandon'
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

I just cannot understand why the government was (and still is) so strangely reluctant to investigate Russian interference in British politics.

109758948_1814215955387582_2634770487778892542_n.jpg
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Chris
If you REALLY do not understand it then you must be very thick, and I am sure that is not true
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Extremely disappointed with the report. I had every expectation it would conclude it was 'the Russians wot done it' regarding the Brexit vote and that I had been unduly influenced all along. Along with 17.4m others of course.

Six lines in a 54? page report ? It's barely a fart in the bath. :roflol3:
'Let's Go Brandon'
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Perhaps because the committee didn't investigate the Russian influence of the Brexit vote?
But good idea! Perhaps the new independant committee should investigate?
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

dave m wrote: 21 Jul 2020 17:46 ..
But good idea! Perhaps the new independant committee should investigate?
Yep, I nominate Christopher Steele to head it up.
'Let's Go Brandon'
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

The past and present Conservative Governments have definitely been very "Silly". If you provide a tax haven and safe investment place for hideously rich Russians, whose wealth generation relies on the help of the Russian Government, what do you expect to happen. Is their no limit to the stupidity of the Conservative Party's elected leaders, who would have studied British History in their public schools and some even through to University. Because even I, who gave up history in the 4th Form know about the Great Game and that for centuries the Russians have never had our best interest at heart.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Is not their stupidity that there is no limit to, its their greed, imho, of course
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Looks as if the Corbyn turd has finally been flushed. :bye1:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... mitism-row
'Let's Go Brandon'
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Frank Blank wrote: 22 Jul 2020 11:52 Looks as if the Corbyn turd has finally been flushed. :bye1:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... mitism-row
Whatever his faults and lack of suitability to be a Prime Minister I find you description of Jeremy Corbyn offensive and inappropriate. Let’s concentrate on the shortcomings of the Westminster people who continue to influence and control our lives.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Mick
You forgot to add .." by deliberate lying to the British people with regard to their actions on both Covid 19 and Brexit"
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

mikejee wrote: 22 Jul 2020 16:27 Mick
You forgot to add .." by deliberate lying to the British people with regard to their actions on both Covid 19 and Brexit"
Indeed. And today I read more about the recent half-billion pound silly investment in the bankrupt One-Web satellite company. A very senior civil servant advising on the deal took the very unusual step of writing to the minister (our own Alok Sharma) in terms that: there were stark risks with the spending, given it was a large single investment. While in one scenario the government could get a 20 per cent return, the central case is marginal and there are significant downside risks, including that venture capital investments of this sort can fail, with the consequence that all the value of the equity can be lost, and as such the investment did not meet the value-for-money requirements set out by the government. Are we happy with Boris gambling with our money, when the cost of supporting the economy through the pandemic continues to grow and shows no end?
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

No doubt Boris will be doing the interviewing. :-P

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... pert-role
'Let's Go Brandon'
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Frank Blank wrote: 23 Jul 2020 11:06
No doubt Boris will be doing the interviewing. :-P

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... pert-role
When asked “what do you do for a living?”, will they reply, “I’m in rebuttal”. There can’t many job titles which include the word rebuttal.

Return to “Chatty Person”