Bowling Alley Coming To The Oracle

OneGorman
Super Contributor

Bowling Alley Coming To The Oracle

Post by OneGorman »

https://t.co/p9pcmPuUkl?amp=1

Love this and the location (House of Fraser). The Oracle is the perfect location IMO. I think there’s even going to be a fancy crazy golf course in there too.

piwacket

Re: Bowling Alley Coming To The Oracle

Post by piwacket »

There's no such thing as a free lunch
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Probably the biggest change to the Oracle since it opened 20 years ago. I think the shopping centre worked well with 2 anchor store tenants, one department store at each end of the mall. But as shopping times change, and with the buy-out of House of Fraser, the repurposing of this vast store unit was going to be a challenge. It looks like they have the right idea to keep up with the current trends: smaller retail units, mixed-use with restaurants and leisure space. I'm glad they are repurposing the space with town-centre uses.

Great to see the provision for so much leisure space, and the idea of bowling/indoor golf which is quite popular in other towns. The site is also central for the town as a whole. The foodhall is something that the Oracle currently lacks, so it will offer more choice for customers. However, it might compete with the proposals for a smaller foodhall at the Broad Street Mall.

When the Oracle was designed in the 1990's, the brief was for a 'retail for leisure' concept. It was one of the first shopping centres in the country to mix retail with leisure space, and you can see how many other cities have now used this strategy. West Quay in Southampton was built around the same time, yet they only recently added a cinema and outdoor restaurants. Many maps and literature called it 'The Oracle shopping and leisure centre'. The Riverside restaurants and cinema provided this. Now, the addition of the bowling alley, foodhall and potential indoor golf will surely take the centre back to its roots.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

We have discussed this at length in the viewtopic.php?f=148&t=13160 thread
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

Bowling alleys might be more like buses at the current rate...

New plan at Broad St Mall for more of a boutique golf and bowling venue: http://readingonthames.com/2020/02/14/b ... -revealed/

Great news for that end of town with the cinema as well.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

So basically a bar with mini golf and 2 bowling lanes!

An alternative to darts or pool...……….
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

peterson wrote: 14 Feb 2020 13:51 Bowling alleys might be more like buses at the current rate...

New plan at Broad St Mall for more of a boutique golf and bowling venue: http://readingonthames.com/2020/02/14/b ... -revealed/

Presumably it will put to bed the following cretinous comments (as quoted in the Chronicle).

"Utterly shameful to put a cinema in the town centre.

"I'm disgusted. Should have been a bowling alley, ice rink or a laser quest"....

Unless of course said cretin won't be prepared to walk downstairs. :roll:
'Let's Go Brandon'
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Can’t say bowling and golf would entice me, but then I’m not interested in either of those things anyway. Just seems a bit meh. I’d have to wonder if there was enough interest for one lot of these, let alone the potential for two.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

peterson wrote: 14 Feb 2020 13:51 Bowling alleys might be more like buses at the current rate...

Two lanes in the Butts. Seems pointless.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OneGorman wrote: 16 Feb 2020 22:36

Two lanes in the Butts. Seems pointless.
I agree, but there are places like it in other larger cities so must work - London has about 12 'boutique' bowling alleys ranging from 12 to 2 lanes

They are basically all fancy bars with other facilities and the bowling is one of them
Got told of one that is also a karaoke bar!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 25 Apr 2020 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Can’t say I’ve been to any of these boutique bowling centres since they have been ‘updated’ but think I’ve been to a couple in the past when just ordinary bowling centres

I was told by some karaoke mad friends about the one they visited for a party, it has several bookable karaoke rooms, but they were surprised it had 8 bowling lanes and was all decked out like an American themed diner!
They told me it was near St Pancras so just looked it up and it’s called Bloomsbury Bowling

And just looking at that on line and came across a link – turns out there about 12-15 ‘fancy crazy golf centres’ with bars etc in and around London!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 25 Apr 2020 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

See also

“Flight Club” - darts themed bar
Table tennis themed bars
Arcade games themed bars
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

OLDMAN wrote: 14 Feb 2020 13:56 So basically a bar with mini golf and 2 bowling lanes!

An alternative to darts or pool...……….
It’s not quite The Pond House of yesteryear but it’ll do.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

TBH I’ve been league bowling since the late 80’s and even a bit before that
I used to go down the Excel Bowl in Caversham Rd with my father in the 60’s until it shut
Then some of us used to ‘social’ bowl in the mid 70's as a night out, mostly at Wokingham
In the old days of CB radio (late 70’s) we used to compete against other CB radio clubs and ended up joining a league with some other guys later on, plus regularly bowling in a ‘club’ that followed on from a CB radio one – OH used to bowl back then as well
We then joined another league and bowled in tournaments etc from late 80's up to present day

But – in all that time only ever visited one place that had less than 10 lanes – it was a hotel in Exeter that had 4 lanes and why we went for a long weekend!

I had heard of the new idea of Boutique Bowling Centres / Clubs etc but sort of discounted them as not ‘serious’ for leagues etc

And I’ve seen the aftermath of drunken ten-pin bowling…………………. :whistle1:
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Looking at today's FY results from Hammerson, it looks as if this scheme (subject to RBC of course) will be going ahead.

P8 of its accounts states (regarding the Oracle) : "We have made good progress with pre-lettings, having secured lettings with bowling and indoor golf operators and are in active discussions for the remainder of the space.

"Works to repurpose the space will cost approximately £13m (50% share) but will deliver a significant rental uplift compared with the current concessionary House of Fraser rent....."

So there you have it.
'Let's Go Brandon'
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Look forward to it happening! Really good location for a leisure venue. And as much as I do like House of Fraser being in town, I have to say that I never buy anything there.
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

Good info, thanks Frank. I think with John Lewis and Debenhams nearby, this would be a good use of some of the space in House of Fraser.
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

I hope this continues to go ahead as once CoVid is over this will be a welcoming place for families
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... ey-oracle/

The plans appear to be progressing, with the licensing application.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Hollywood Bowl are the group who own the Bracknell centre that is earmarked for closure
They did mention a while back they had an alternative site and I did order if this was it back then -also makes me wonder if they will find another site in Bracknell as well
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Property developments in Reading”