NOTE! Annual Meet-Up

General chat forum
piwacket

Re: NOTE! Annual Meet-Up - MENU now added!

Post by piwacket »

Bam wrote: 11 Jan 2020 08:40 Apologies for absence. 60 mph storm, all ferries cancelled and Scotty has not managed to fix my transporter module but I will be there in spirit.

Good heath to you all.

:drink5:
Thanks Bam - and Good Wishes to you :beg1:
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Folks, I'm really sorry to let you down at the last minute. Mrs H's mother passed away earlier this week (when she didn't answer the daily phone call we went up to her house and found her). Totally unexpected and very sad. Mrs H is coping very well, but I don't think it would be right for me to leave her to meet up with you guys, then go to football. I should have let you know yesterday, but if I'm honest, it completely slipped my mind until this morning.

Hope you all have a good time and I do hope to be able to meet you at some point in the future.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Really sad to read that Hooped. Keep it on the level.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Condolences, Hooped. I'm unable to attend too, having been stuck down with stinking flu for nearly two weeks now.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Hooped wrote: 11 Jan 2020 11:22
Hope you all have a good time and I do hope to be able to meet you at some point in the future.
Oh how sad Hooped. Please pass on my condolences.
And thanks for letting us know.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Another very enjoyable luncheon is over. A pleasant few hours chatting amongst co-Forum members.

Unfortunate to not see some of those who’d been unable to come along, hopefully they will be able to attend the next one.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

We enjoyed that very much, still haven't met VOT but I'm asssured she does exist. Did meet the 'brunette' though so I know she isn't a figment of D5's imagination! Thank's to Oldman and Chris for their assistance in helping me with the stuntwoman (alias Mrs windrush) I'm married to who decided to dive out of the van for a reason known only to her, I couldn't have managed without you both.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Sorry to break it to you Windrush - VoT doesn't exist - she/he is a figment with foil hat.
Keep safe
XX
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

So sorry to hear your news Hooped, must have been a shock. My Condolences to you both.

Glad to hear you all had a good time

If anyone has any idea which body/authority you would complain about a pharmacy to, please let me know. (VoT ? ) My friend in Somerset was left without the essential drugs for her epileptic son, because the pharmacy just plain neglected to order the balance of a pre Christmas prescription and then said it would take a week to obtain them.( they are a specific thing, slightly out of the ordinary ) That would mean no school for him ( they will only accept him if he has had the right medication) and no work for his mother ( who is Marie Curie Carer ) Without medication he would need to be watched day and night.
Through Friday afternoon and evening they phoned and visited umpteen pharmacies and thought the best they could do was Monday afternoon, but when my friend got home her wonderful GP, who was aware of the situation, had made a 40 mile round trip in her own time to pick some up
Give that woman a medal !
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

D5equj5 wrote: 11 Jan 2020 16:58 Sorry to break it to you Windrush - VoT doesn't exist - she/he is a figment with foil hat.
I somehow imagined her as resembling Metal Mickey D5 so I will keep that image with me for life now unless proved otherwise! :wink:

Pete.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Ah yes, close although I think Dusty-Bin would be closer.
Keep safe
XX
Call me 2jabsD5
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Thank you Dave M
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

piwacket wrote: 11 Jan 2020 16:28Unfortunate to not see some of those who’d been unable to come along, hopefully they will be able to attend the next one.
Maybe we should consider a mid-summer evening pub meet somewhere?
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Mayfield wrote: 11 Jan 2020 17:04My friend in Somerset was left without the essential drugs for her epileptic son, because the pharmacy just plain neglected to order the balance of a pre Christmas prescription
When I was in Somerset I frequently had problems with my prescriptions, but usually down to the surgery. Once my prescription got lost on a Friday tea time, when surgery had just closed and not open till Monday. Pharmacy actually issued the drugs anyway, because I was going away on the Saturday morning. Another time the scrip went to Boots rather than the independent pharmacy I always used and it took 24 hours to find. One Friday afternoon the surgery had to fax a copy of the scrip to the pharmacy. And various other issues which I can't recall now.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Souwester wrote: 11 Jan 2020 22:50
piwacket wrote: 11 Jan 2020 16:28Unfortunate to not see some of those who’d been unable to come along, hopefully they will be able to attend the next one.
Maybe we should consider a mid-summer evening pub meet somewhere?
It’s been considered several times. On the whole the most attractive pub gardens for 15+ people are not really on bus routes - unless you know of one that is?
Certainly open to suggestions :)
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

If it stays open, the Bird in Hand is...
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 12 Jan 2020 08:27 If it stays open, the Bird in Hand is...
I’ve thought of them often in the past, the garden there would be ideal (or certainly was) ... I did suggest it once some years ago, and it went down like a lead balloon :shrug1:
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Great to meet you all again. I'm pretty sure I have met VoT at a previous get-together (the one at the Sun?) so I think she is real. Nor sure that she had come out as an alien back then though, so she was in human disguise.

Thanks to Pi for organising the get together (again) and to PC49 for being ridiculously generous in paying for our meals.

Did anybody take any photos. I clean forgot.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

piwacket wrote: 12 Jan 2020 09:59
Mayfield wrote: 12 Jan 2020 08:27 If it stays open, the Bird in Hand is...
I’ve thought of them often in the past, the garden there would be ideal (or certainly was) ... I did suggest it once some years ago, and it went down like a lead balloon :shrug1:
It’s not the most frequent bus service so I guess could be a bit limiting....
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

chris_j_wood wrote: 12 Jan 2020 13:21 Great to meet you all again. I'm pretty sure I have met VoT at a previous get-together (the one at the Sun?) so I think she is real. Nor sure that she had come out as an alien back then though, so she was in human disguise.

Thanks to Pi for organising the get together (again) and to PC49 for being ridiculously generous in paying for our meals.

Did anybody take any photos. I clean forgot.
Hi Chris thank you for your kind remarks. The reason why I did it is for the following reason. Piwacket has two passions, the theatre and this forum. In my opinion this last year I thought that the forum was losing its way. Too much angst re Brexit and too many posts from people being obnoxious because they can. I except that it is difficult for the Mods to draw that line between freedom of speech and what is not acceptable after all this is a social media site and you have people hiding behind their political correct brigade faces waiting for someone innocently saying something that they can jump on or start screaming racial abuse etc., This unfortunately is idiosyncratic of today’s society. However two or three people have been banned from the site and this past two to three months has improved dramatically. So from me to the Moderators one big pat on the back. Well done.

With this in mind I made my offer hoping to attract some of the new members to attend our “meet” although several replied unfortunately in the end due to all sorts of reasons none attended. So much for the plans of mice and men. Now I know why I like cheese. Although I was miffed that my “I’ve got a plan” did not work I do not regret paying for eight meals for people whom I consider to be friends that attended. Let’s be honest when you have people like yourself, Old Man and D5 etc. in your company you know that you are going to have great time and a good laugh 😂 yeah . So with such good company why change. If it’s not broken don’t mend it.

So if there is a “meet” next year ,and I hope that Vot attends. If there is a reason why she has not attended this past two years, I hope that this can be dealt with, because I believe that this would make the perfect 10. Well 9 plus me)

There has been a suggestion that there be a summer “meet” or evening meet in a pub. It has been said that because of holidays etc, that this has never taken off, being too difficult to arrange. So anyone out there with suggestions, let’s hear from you.

In the meantime although a little late I wish everyone a happy and prosperous 2020.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Mayfield wrote: 12 Jan 2020 14:14It’s not the most frequent bus service so I guess could be a bit limiting....
But I'm guessing that not everyone would choose to travel by bus?
rolew
Super Contributor

Post by rolew »

Thanks to Pi and PC49 from me as well. I'm sorry I don't contribute much on the Forum but writing a few words on here is as far as my computer skill goes, and that takes me ages.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Souwester wrote: 12 Jan 2020 23:14
Mayfield wrote: 12 Jan 2020 14:14It’s not the most frequent bus service so I guess could be a bit limiting....
But I'm guessing that not everyone would choose to travel by bus?
But some of the 'regulars' don't have their own transport so a bus route is helpfull. Location isn't really a problem for us as long as I can park nearby and have wheelchair access.

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Nice little gathering on a Saturday

Shame a few got held up, but some with good reason (Condolences to Hooped’s family – and it would have been nice to meet up again after all these years!)

Main bit of the day though – Pete, was MrsW all okay after her stunt-work, hopefully nothing damaged or bruised apart from pride? (and embarrassment, which I tried to alleviate with a few jokes)
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

OLDMAN wrote: 13 Jan 2020 07:45 Nice little gathering on a Saturday

Shame a few got held up, but some with good reason (Condolences to Hooped’s family – and it would have been nice to meet up again after all these years!)

Main bit of the day though – Pete, was MrsW all okay after her stunt-work, hopefully nothing damaged or bruised apart from pride? (and embarrassment, which I tried to alleviate with a few jokes)
A lot of bruising to her stomach and a few minor cuts on her leg but otherwise she is fine, thank you for asking. Last time she fell out of a van it was out of our old LDV 400 which was a lot higher and she went 'splat' on the tarmac so at least the 'chair saved her this time. Couldn't have managed without Chris and yourself though as I haven't the strength any longer, the alternative would have been calling on the Fire Station across the road.

Pete.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Thank you for your kind messages. I would be up for a summer meeting. Maybe those of us who have to travel by car could pick up one or two of those who can't on the way? Just a thought.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Hooped wrote: 13 Jan 2020 12:25 Thank you for your kind messages. I would be up for a summer meeting. Maybe those of us who have to travel by car could pick up one or two of those who can't on the way? Just a thought.
Thanks Hooped, and hope everything is getting more settled with you and yours :)

Summer Meet is attractive, provided of course the weather plays ball!

... and thanks for the appreciative comments from those who came along on Saturday.

Pete - I hope Mrs W recovers quickly from her acrobatics!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

windrush wrote: 13 Jan 2020 09:05 A lot of bruising to her stomach and a few minor cuts on her leg but otherwise she is fine, thank you for asking. Last time she fell out of a van it was out of our old LDV 400 which was a lot higher and she went 'splat' on the tarmac so at least the 'chair saved her this time. Couldn't have managed without Chris and yourself though as I haven't the strength any longer, the alternative would have been calling on the Fire Station across the road.
Glad Mrs Windrush survived reasonably intact, and I hope the bruises and cuts heal soon. And happy to provide what help I could; I hope I didn't cause any damage as I was holding onto her right arm quite hard at one stage.

Have you considered getting one of those vans with a raised roof and windows, a bit like the PopeMobile, so she could just drive up the rear ramp in her wheelchair, and lord it over you as a real back seat driver. :-)
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

chris_j_wood wrote: 13 Jan 2020 12:58
windrush wrote: 13 Jan 2020 09:05 A lot of bruising to her stomach and a few minor cuts on her leg but otherwise she is fine, thank you for asking. Last time she fell out of a van it was out of our old LDV 400 which was a lot higher and she went 'splat' on the tarmac so at least the 'chair saved her this time. Couldn't have managed without Chris and yourself though as I haven't the strength any longer, the alternative would have been calling on the Fire Station across the road.
Glad Mrs Windrush survived reasonably intact, and I hope the bruises and cuts heal soon. And happy to provide what help I could; I hope I didn't cause any damage as I was holding onto her right arm quite hard at one stage.

Have you considered getting one of those vans with a raised roof and windows, a bit like the PopeMobile, so she could just drive up the rear ramp in her wheelchair, and lord it over you as a real back seat driver. :-)
Knowing Peter he would leave the bulkhead wall between them in the van - and insulate it! :whistle1:
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Oh yes Chris, I have suggested that in the past, and also about buying an ex NHS minibus with a tailift to convert into a camper so that she could ride in her wheelchair easily, and to say that both ideas didn't go down to well with 'management' is an understatement! :whistle1: You didn't do her any damage though so don't worry on that score, we were both glad of your help. Apparently, for reasons best known to herself, she decided to fasten her seat belt before I moved her chair and closed the door which is something she has never done previously and of course she slipped out! Luckily the chair was still there to support her otherwise she would have been on the deck.

Oldmans idea about an insulated partition is great though, one between the passenger and drivers seats sounds positively idilic! :wink:

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 13 Jan 2020 19:15

Oh yes Chris, I have suggested that in the past, and also about buying an ex NHS minibus with a tailift to convert into a camper so that she could ride in her wheelchair easily, and to say that both ideas didn't go down to well with 'management' is an understatement! :whistle1: You didn't do her any damage though so don't worry on that score, we were both glad of your help. Apparently, for reasons best known to herself, she decided to fasten her seat belt before I moved her chair and closed the door which is something she has never done previously and of course she slipped out! Luckily the chair was still there to support her otherwise she would have been on the deck.

Oldmans idea about an insulated partition is great though, one between the passenger and drivers seats sounds positively idilic! :wink:

Pete.
You could always put the parrot in as well to keep her company :whistle1:
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Ah yes, the parrot! A good idea that, they can then jabber away to themselves and leave me to concentrate on driving! :-) At least the bird was back at the Travelodge on Saturday and didn't witness our efforts!

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I was just tidying up some old images on the PC and found one that reminded me of something we discussed at the meet-up

We talked about the IDR and the vide presentation of ‘walking the IDR’ that was messaged on the forum
I said I had an old pre-IDR paper map kicking around that I had pencilled the route on and could just about remember (I was about 9 at the time) what was there before – mainly as we had relatives / friends who lived there and had to move when it was all dug through

This map came from a talk about the IDR route back in 2017 -
Second one is what they wanted to do by the Forbury, but thankfully didn’t get that far!
Last one is the Queens Rd Ski-Ramp for anyone who remembers it...……….
IDR Walk.jpg
IDR Forbury 1971.jpg
Ski-Ramp.jpg
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Just found another image – IDR as we ended up with, the A33 / Relief Rd junction is highlighted only not fully drawn on
IDR.jpg
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Chatty Person”