NOTE! Annual Meet-Up

General chat forum
piwacket

NOTE! Annual Meet-Up

Post by piwacket »

As many members know we traditionally have a Christmas Forum Meet-up - which usually seems that I get to organise... find a suitable venue and offer a couple possible dates.

There’s also usually a problem that some who may like to come along have other functions in their diaries...
and finding a suitable venue, on a bus route and with a car park and who can accommodate a dozen or so people in a quiet corner so we can have a chat.

A couple of us on the Admin Team have been discussing this - and in view of the above are considering whether a
NEW YEAR MEET-UP
May be a better option?

Say January 4 or 11

Would that interest you?

and of course partners are welcome too!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Re: Annual Meet-Up

Post by BOY RACER »

piwacket wrote: 08 Nov 2019 23:17 As many members know we traditionally have a Christmas Forum Meet-up - which usually seems that I get to organise... find a suitable venue and offer a couple possible dates.

There’s also usually a problem that some who may like to come along have other functions in their diaries...
and finding a suitable venue, on a bus route and with a car park and who can accommodate a dozen or so people in a quiet corner so we can have a chat.

A couple of us on the Admin Team have been discussing this - and in view of the above are considering whether a
[[color=#FF0000New Year Meet Up[/color]
May be a better option?

Say [[color=#FF0000January 4 or 11th ?[/color]

Would that interest you?
To be honest Pi the forum as far as I am concerned, not what it used to be. Too many people hiding behind their avatar to be objectionable for no reason other than causing trouble. Also it would appear that you can no longer have a reasonable debate, or exchange of views without it resulting in name calling etc., The last Christmas meet resulted in 12 members attending which considering that the number who post is very minimal, considering the work that you have to put on to organise it.

I would suggest that the meet be restricted to the stalwarts of the chat thread who exchange views and advice with intelligence and humour. This I would not only attend but would be willing to subsidise the food bill, otherwise, sorry but not interested.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

PC49 I think you may have had a reasonable argument until a couple of weeks ago.... but I’d say the Forum has a far better atmosphere again.

Certainly in discussing this Meet we also felt that it must be a Politics-Free zone! Sadly the current political problems have divided people and we don’t want that to impinge on a friendly get-together!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Politics free zone? Sign me up!
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Look forward to seeing you VoT.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Ditto PC49
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Would not be able to make the 4th, as another forum, on which I am a moderator, has come to the same conclusion as yourselves (!!} and I willbe at their meet up
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

mikejee wrote: 09 Nov 2019 12:43 Would not be able to make the 4th, as another forum, on which I am a moderator, has come to the same conclusion as yourselves (!!} and I willbe at their meet up
OK Mike - then maybe the consensus will be 11th and you can join us :)
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

The 11th would be better for us as we are pre-booked at Scotch Corner on the 4th. Can't commit fully yet as circumstances may well change before then.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 09 Nov 2019 20:07 The 11th would be better for us as we are pre-booked at Scotch Corner on the 4th. Can't commit fully yet as circumstances may well change before then.

Pete.
That would be good, it’s not the same without you and Mrs W!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

piwacket wrote: 09 Nov 2019 20:11
windrush wrote: 09 Nov 2019 20:07 The 11th would be better for us as we are pre-booked at Scotch Corner on the 4th. Can't commit fully yet as circumstances may well change before then.

Pete.
That would be good, it’s not the same without you and Mrs W!
No, I imagine that it runs much easier! :-)

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

11th good for me unless something comes up
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 12 Nov 2019 13:13 11th good for me unless something comes up
Thats' good!
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

I'd be happy to come along if I'm welcome.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

The 11th is fine for me. I promise not to mention politics or 'spoons. :-)
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Souwester wrote: 12 Nov 2019 16:39 I'd be happy to come along if I'm welcome.
Yes of course you’d be welcome :)
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

chris_j_wood wrote: 12 Nov 2019 16:50 The 11th is fine for me. I promise not to mention politics or 'spoons. :-)
Glad you can come Chris, another regular!
‘Spoons is OK, but Madame Guillotine will be in the Wings! :))
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

I may come if available. Still in Reading as house sale fell through at last minute!
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Souwester wrote: 12 Nov 2019 16:39 I'd be happy to come along if I'm welcome.
Hi Souwester Speaking personally would be pleased to meet you. It may be a small group of us that meet but they are all good people and it is an easy going meet. Also it does include ones partner. If everything works out hope to see you in the NewYear.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

THC wrote: 12 Nov 2019 17:29 I may come if available. Still in Reading as house sale fell through at last minute!
Ah that would be good! But sorry about your house sale - what a shame for you.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

chris_j_wood wrote: 12 Nov 2019 16:50 The 11th is fine for me. I promise not to mention politics or 'spoons. :-)
Hi Chris if memory serves me right you owe me a pint. :whistle1:

I assume that when you say NO POLITICS this will include you leaving your Spanish flag at home and you will not wear your “ t” shirt proclaiming that you love Jo Swinson that great Liberal Autocrat. : :roflol3: Sorry could not resist
Hope to see you in the New Year.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Any idea what time you are planning to meet? I will be in Reading on the 11th and would love to drop in either before or after Reading's game against Nottingham Forest. Would be great to renew my acquaintance with OM - I reckon it's 45 years since we last met!

I agree this forum has become far more pleasant of late. As I confided in one member back in July, a certain someone was driving me to the point of setting off WW3!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

PC49 wrote: 12 Nov 2019 17:42 Hi Chris if memory serves me right you owe me a pint. :whistle1:
Your memory serves you right. :-)
PC49 wrote: 12 Nov 2019 17:42 I assume that when you say NO POLITICS this will include you leaving your Spanish flag at home and you will not wear your “ t” shirt proclaiming that you love Jo Swinson that great Liberal Autocrat. : :roflol3: Sorry could not resist
I certainly don't own anything as tacky as the t-shirt you describe. And if I own a Spanish flag, I don't know where it is. So no problems.
PC49 wrote: 12 Nov 2019 17:42 Hope to see you in the New Year.
Likewise.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Hooped wrote: 12 Nov 2019 17:46 Any idea what time you are planning to meet? I will be in Reading on the 11th and would love to drop in either before or after Reading's game against Nottingham Forest. Would be great to renew my acquaintance with OM - I reckon it's 45 years since we last met!
It’d be good to have you along!
Venue is usually booked from 12.30 and everyone is usually there by about 1pm ish
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 14 May 2020 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

What do you mean ?

People maintain their forum names ....never been an issue....
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 14 May 2020 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Same reason I have a picture of me as a child on my FB status....
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

For me a photo taken 46 years ago and date of birth only info on Facebook, and never post any details of my goings-on.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Wow! Luckily for me I have nothing to hide, infact many of the other forums I am on insist on the real name being visible along with the screen name, like Facebook. It does away with many of the posters simply out to cause trouble as they are identifiable. Then again nobody on here actually knows me from Reading, apart from Oldman! :whistle1:

Pete.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

I have nothing (much) to hide, and use my real name on most forums (fora?), but definitely would not release any information on 'Facebook , and only use it to access certain local groups
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

I’m pretty identifiable - how many yellow aliens do you see? Don’t use Farcebook, so aside from my professional profile (don’t go there OM and WR!), this is my only online presence.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Can do the 11th; clearly I'm not a cat so you get the real thing!
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Ollycat wrote: 13 Nov 2019 12:37 Can do the 11th; clearly I'm not a cat so you get the real thing!
Hi Ollycat - that's good! :)
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

j9j9j9 wrote: 13 Nov 2019 07:56 I'd like to pop in if I am free though xmas and January tend to be very busy for us.

If I can make it, I'd still like to be anonymous on the board. Obviously happy to be a real person in real life but you can't account for the odd weirdo lurking online.
To be honest j9j9j9 I suppose that after D5 I may be the second biggest weirdo on the forum but as I am still covered by the official secrets act you should be safe. Come along and have a laugh.

Talking of D5 nothing from you yet. Hopefully you will be attending and I know that many Forum members would love to meet the Brunette sometime. :whistle1:

Pip pip and lol.

Return to “Chatty Person”