Station retail park - consultation

j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Station retail park - consultation

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 14 May 2020 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Jude
Super Contributor

Re: Station retail park - consultation

Post by Jude »

Thanks for that :-)
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Is this where The Range is? Making the parking spaces a bit wider so you can actually get in or out of your car would be a start!
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

What’s being proposed? I had a feeling these shops would ultimately get flattened for more flats.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Tommy wrote: 24 Sep 2019 15:00 Is this where The Range is? Making the parking spaces a bit wider so you can actually get in or out of your car would be a start!
Whilst I agree - the carpark Is also dangerous - there wont be any parking for the public when the retail park closes.

Have been told multiple times that Aldi do not invest in that store as it will be closing in the near future.

http://www.rssp.co.uk/
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

I didn't realise it was closing. I thought all the work was going on in the old royal mail site.

Those retail units employ a lot of people - will the outlets be relocated? We use The Range a fair bit!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

It was always on the cards that the site would change to residential . A good ten years ago I was involved in a planning exercise that looked at that site.
At one point it was suggested as a site for a new theatre complex as well.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Tommy wrote: 25 Sep 2019 09:48 Those retail units employ a lot of people - will the outlets be relocated? We use The Range a fair bit!
If you mean will new outlets be built on a new site somewhere else, I think that is very unlikely. Retail has changed a lot in the years since that retail park was built, mostly because of the switch to internet shopping, and that kind of development (what the US would call a 'strip mall') has been hit especially hard.

Of course individual outlets may well relocate to other pre-existing sites. That would depend on how well they are doing.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

chris_j_wood wrote: 25 Sep 2019 10:28
Tommy wrote: 25 Sep 2019 09:48 Those retail units employ a lot of people - will the outlets be relocated? We use The Range a fair bit!
If you mean will new outlets be built somewhere else, I think that is very unlikely. Retail has changed a lot in the years since that retail park was built, mostly because of the switch to internet shopping, and that kind of development (what the US would call a 'strip mall') has been hit especially hard.

Of course individual outlets may well relocate to other pre-existing sites.
I didn't mean new outlets will be built elsewhere. Although with the exception of Brunel Retail park that has a couple of empty units I can't think of another retail park that does in Reading.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Tommy wrote: 25 Sep 2019 10:33 Although with the exception of Brunel Retail park that has a couple of empty units I can't think of another retail park that does in Reading.
Rose Kiln Lane.
Lower Earley (although I think that's a fairly small unit)
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Pooneil wrote: 25 Sep 2019 11:16
Tommy wrote: 25 Sep 2019 10:33 Although with the exception of Brunel Retail park that has a couple of empty units I can't think of another retail park that does in Reading.
Rose Kiln Lane.
Oh yes. Where PoundWorld was.

The Range Unit is huge - not sure they'll be able to find anywhere big enough in Reading.
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

Tommy wrote: 25 Sep 2019 11:42 The Range Unit is huge - not sure they'll be able to find anywhere big enough in Reading.
I don't think there's anywhere that big available now. The ex-Toys-R-Us unit on Imperial way probably would be but only if they could get permission for a full mezzanine, and I think that's the biggest empty unit. There are some industrial buildings (mostly in Whitley) that are as big as the current store, and some of them nay be suitable for a change to retail.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

I believe Aldi are looking at the empty Unit in the Forbury - would be a good location for them with all those new flats on the old Homebase and ToysRus Site.

This is a consultation though - will be a few years off yet.

Website is now live - up to 950 Homes, flexible design, maybe some offices, maybe a hotel, some ground floor retail space, possibly a gym (pure gym relocates and allows flats on the Dawsons and Pure Gym site maybe)!!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

The exhibition boards can be found here:

http://www.rssp.co.uk/docs/17127_RSP_Banners_A04.pdf
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Tommy wrote: 25 Sep 2019 11:42
Pooneil wrote: 25 Sep 2019 11:16
Rose Kiln Lane.
Oh yes. Where PoundWorld was.

The Range Unit is huge - not sure they'll be able to find anywhere big enough in Reading.
Don’t forget the new Toys R Us site that has been empty since they went bust.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

cnb wrote: 25 Sep 2019 11:53
Tommy wrote: 25 Sep 2019 11:42 The Range Unit is huge - not sure they'll be able to find anywhere big enough in Reading.
I don't think there's anywhere that big available now. The ex-Toys-R-Us unit on Imperial way probably would be but only if they could get permission for a full mezzanine, and I think that's the biggest empty unit. There are some industrial buildings (mostly in Whitley) that are as big as the current store, and some of them nay be suitable for a change to retail.
I haven't been to Rose Kiln Lane for a few months, but the old Currys unit in the south-west corner (between Next and GO Outdoors) was still empty then, and I remember that was pretty big when it was open.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Small unit but Halfords hasn’t reopened in RG2 since it had a fire some months ago. Maybe they’ve realised they only need the one store. Could be vacant soon.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Doesn't Halfords have a store at winersh and one off the Oxford road?
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Went to the event to see the displays and talk with then people responsible. Not very impressed with what is a rather dull set of flats and offices. No cultural quarter, surgery or educational provision indicated. That seems to be the responsibility of others. Parking of course was basically non existent.

Not especially 'green' as far as I could tell. Everyone would need an energy consuming tumble dryer as I can't see them wanting washing on display on the superfluous balconies.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Pooneil wrote: 25 Sep 2019 17:03
I haven't been to Rose Kiln Lane for a few months, but the old Currys unit in the south-west corner (between Next and GO Outdoors) was still empty then, and I remember that was pretty big when it was open.
I might be wrong but I think someone is in there now. Have to have a look next time I go to Makro as I go past it.

EDIT. Just looked on Google Earth & I think Go Outdoors is IN the old Currys premises.
Attachments
RKL.jpg
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

I do like the office building they are proposing, although I suspect this may be a lot taller than they actually intend to eventually build. I appreciate the designs will probably change, but the triangular taper at the top looks quite smart! Will be an interesting addition to the skyline.

However, I do think there should be a continuous sight line all the way from the station square to the River Thames. I believe this is due to the SSE site developers, who planned a meandering little alley through their site which causes pedestrians to make a turn near Christchurch Bridge. Now, the Aviva site (Station Shopping Park) developers also do not plan to line up with the entrance to the SSE site.

There is just so much potential for more community/town centre uses on ground and basement levels. What is planned on the Aviva, and Royal Mail sites, seem like such a wasted opportunity, given the amazing location directly opposite the station, and situated within the IDR ring road.

Development land of this size, in a town centre, in these locations, don't become available very often at all. Although some people may not like it, I really must praise the Oracle's developers for bringing such a community facility to the town. On the shopping centre's 20th birthday week, it still continues to bring in the crowds and has become a real focal point for the town, as well as regional shoppers. Just imagine if the original Oracle's site came onto the market today! No doubt it would be developed into a bland set of square boxes, housing thousands of people in the many luxury riverside apartments, with minimal community uses for Reading's existing population. I'm so glad that the developers in the 1990's had the vision to open up the Riverside and create an open leisure space for the community.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

buseng wrote: 25 Sep 2019 19:34
Pooneil wrote: 25 Sep 2019 17:03

I might be wrong but I think someone is in there now. Have to have a look next time I go to Makro as I go past it.

EDIT. Just looked on Google Earth & I think Go Outdoors is IN the old Currys premises.
The unit to the right of NEXT is empty. I thought perhaps NEXT would extend their store to be as big if not bigger than the store at Sainbury's Calcot and perhaps have a bigger homeware section. But it seems they're keeping it as a small store.
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 14 May 2020 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Aldi and Lidl are good for some things.

Their customer service is appalling (Mainly Lidl) though and I find their veg goes off very quickly compared to Morrisons, Tesco's and Waitrose.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

In the local rag, note the words CAR FREE.
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/prope ... l-16981102
Along with the Royal Mail site plus SSE & Drews even Napier Road that must make 1000's of new flats in the area. Far far too many with no infrastructure/utilities improvement whatsoever.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

buseng wrote: 26 Sep 2019 10:05 In the local rag, note the words CAR FREE.
Along with the Royal Mail site plus SSE & Drews even Napier Road that must make 1000's of new flats in the area. Far far too many with no infrastructure/utilities improvement whatsoever.
Yep. We're certainly going to need an extra fire station or two in Reading with all these flats.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Tommy wrote: 26 Sep 2019 09:07 Aldi and Lidl are good for some things.

Their customer service is appalling (Mainly Lidl) though and I find their veg goes off very quickly compared to Morrisons, Tesco's and Waitrose.
I'm surprised at this as it has not been my experience of visiting Aldi or Lidl where I've found the staff really helpful and polite which I've certainly not always experienced in Tesco for instance. Of the two I prefer Lidl as they have more vegetables and fruit sold loose than Aldi where most is pre-packed.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

spectrum64 wrote: 26 Sep 2019 11:00

I'm surprised at this as it has not been my experience of visiting Aldi or Lidl where I've found the staff really helpful and polite which I've certainly not always experienced in Tesco for instance. Of the two I prefer Lidl as they have more vegetables and fruit sold loose than Aldi where most is pre-packed.
I've found the fruit and veg at Lidl to be poor, and don't buy it there now. Most of the rest of the stuff is very good, and I do like to try the slightly unusual stuff they often have.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Lidl Store is always messy. The Oxford Rd store quite often closes down it's checkouts so you have no option but to use the self service tills, even if you have a big shop. When asked they say "we're changing shifts". Fair enough - but when one member of staff leaves the checkout there should be one waiting to take over straight away.

I've always found the staff in both the large Tesco's very friendly.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

KeithW wrote: 26 Sep 2019 11:48

I've found the fruit and veg at Lidl to be poor, and don't buy it there now. Most of the rest of the stuff is very good, and I do like to try the slightly unusual stuff they often have.
Yep - I buy Blueberries from Tesco and they last me the best part of a week. I got them from Lidl and they were going green within 2 days. Same with the tomato's. I always check the use by or best before dates too....
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 14 May 2020 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

j9j9j9 wrote: 26 Sep 2019 13:01 Aldi staff on the station retail park are lovely. We moved to Aldi from Tescos a few years ago because Tesco fruit and veg was so poor. Maybe they have improved but not planning to change back anytime soon.

Car free developments near a town centre and mainline railway station are not necessarily bad. I owned my first flat in a car free development in a city centre, 5 minutes walk from the station. Neither me or my neighbours had cars because we either worked in the centre or commuted by train. If I did want a car, it was easy enough to hire one from across the road.
Blimey - complete polar opposite of my experience with veg from Aldi and Lidl. Tesco's is far, far better.

As for 'car free developments' they still cause plenty of extra traffic with deliveries and visitors who may well drive.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

j9j9j9 wrote: 26 Sep 2019 13:01 We moved to Aldi from Tescos a few years ago because Tesco fruit and veg was so poor.
Tommy wrote: 26 Sep 2019 13:12 Blimey - complete polar opposite of my experience with veg from Aldi and Lidl. Tesco's is far, far better.
Fascinating to think that this discussion is probably happening on forums all the way across Europe. On the bus ride in from the airport at Budapest a few weeks ago, the first two shops I noticed were a Lidl and a Tesco, right next to each other on a development not that different to the station retail park.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Tommy wrote: 26 Sep 2019 10:31
Yep. We're certainly going to need an extra fire station or two in Reading with all these flats.
It's so close to caversham road station they could just use a long hose and leave the fire engine parked up?
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

dave m wrote: 26 Sep 2019 13:33
Tommy wrote: 26 Sep 2019 10:31
It's so close to caversham road station they could just use a long hose and leave the fire engine parked up?
That will work for a while, but the fire station itself is earmarked for development into flats.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”