The Arch at Cemetery Junction

annap
Super Contributor

The Arch at Cemetery Junction

Post by annap »

An interesting idea for the use of the Arch. The video in the article shows someone walking round the interior - it doesn't appear that there is much of interest inside. And, unsurprisingly, it is noisy!!!

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/berks ... g-16323640
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Re: The Arch at Cemetery Junction

Post by MickEdge »

It might be the dead centre of town, but it looks fiendishly difficult to get to safely, to me. The main roads around it, with no crossings near, are like a castle’s moat. No wonder no one wants to buy it. They should just give it away to a community or arts group.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Awful roads and a lack of parking. Can’t see anything like that working out.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OneGorman wrote: 26 May 2019 18:11 Awful roads and a lack of parking. Can’t see anything like that working out.
That was my thinking too, but surely that group must have discussed that ?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Cannot see how it can be described as being at the dead centre of town
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It’s a joke Mike! The ‘dead’ centre of town.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

As it has not received anyone new for 50 years, perhaps it should be the very dead centre (almost as bad a joke)
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

mikejee wrote: 26 May 2019 23:13 As it has not received anyone new for 50 years, perhaps it should be the very dead centre (almost as bad a joke)
It rarely received anyone new, even then.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Well as someone who has been in the place many times -

It looks bigger than it really is in the video
The toilets are in a separate building which it doesn’t show well

Parking - that’s in the cemetery itself, and quite a large space
Roads – only problem I could see would be noise, access wise its simple, come down London Rd and you turn left / left into the gate
Coming from town via Kings Rd and you bear right towards Wokingham Rd then it has a slip to the left / straight into the gate
Its only if coming up Wokingham Rd that you cannot access it without going 'around the block'

Lack of crossings - odd as CJ has a very large crossing that runs across the whole junction near the Arch, you walk from it and in - only odd bit is crossing the road that comes around from London Rd into Wokingham Rd - and that can’t happen when London Rd light are red

We lived temporarily (due to the house fire) just across from this in Eastern Ave for a few months and regularly crossed the road just there – often not using the crossing as traffic can’t flow that well due to the light phasing!

And for reference -
CJA.jpg
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

OLDMAN wrote: 28 May 2019 15:24 Well as someone who has been in the place many times -
As you have been in it, can you clarify. From a usage point of view, is it really two separate buildings, or is there an upper floor that goes across the top of the arch?.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Its two sperate units with about 12ins of left above which do join them - but not enough for storage and only used as utility access etc and its smaller than the building footprint as just a small roof section (seen in previous image)

The line in the image roughly shows the ceiling height and the balustrade runs around form just above that - you can see the level by the water drains coming out the side
CJA2.jpg
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Do they still close it off with iron gates? Years back, the main gates were almost always closed with a snicket gate for pedestrians. The snicket required one to stoop to pass through. Thus I witnessed a nasty accident. A blind man with his guide dog approached the open snicket gate. The dog passed through and the man followed but his head was far enough above the snicket gate that he smashed his face at eye level, smashing the top of his nose badly and smashing up a pair of dark glasses. He refused help as he said he lived close by and would sort it.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

From what's been written, even given away, it's a space that would be very difficult to use or attract people into. Is it the only entrance to the cemetery? If not, then perhaps the archway could be glassed in, to make a more useable space. Wasn't there a similar arch on Coley Ave, off Castle Hill, now long gone.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

MickEdge wrote: 28 May 2019 22:31 From what's been written, even given away, it's a space that would be very difficult to use or attract people into. Is it the only entrance to the cemetery? If not, then perhaps the archway could be glassed in, to make a more useable space. Wasn't there a similar arch on Coley Ave, off Castle Hill, now long gone.
Not sure it was an arch per se at Coley Avenue, certainly big iron gates from an old photo I’ve got somewhere. The gates are now (I think) in MERL.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Good morning. Not as sunny as yesterday and no sign of the large polecat that rushed past the French door of our bedroom yesterday and tore across the lawn.

What is MERL please Pi?
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 13 May 2020 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

piwacket wrote: 28 May 2019 22:43
MickEdge wrote: 28 May 2019 22:31 From what's been written, even given away, it's a space that would be very difficult to use or attract people into. Is it the only entrance to the cemetery? If not, then perhaps the archway could be glassed in, to make a more useable space. Wasn't there a similar arch on Coley Ave, off Castle Hill, now long gone.
Not sure it was an arch per se at Coley Avenue, certainly big iron gates from an old photo I’ve got somewhere. The gates are now (I think) in MERL.
Thanks, I'll go along to MERL. My memory is probably late 50s to early 60s. A dirty white stone thing, as we drove up Castle Hill into Bath Rd. Maybe it wasn't an arch, just stone pillars on both sides of the road. I remember wanting to go through it, but we never did. I couldn't find any images, only an old map that had Coley Avenue shown as Coley Walk.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Pretty sure that the museum (reading) has images. They have changed their website so I can't find the illustrations section at the moment

Cemetery Arch was built either as a small cottage for a warden or just as an office and would need far more work to turn it into residential accommodation but afaik it was suggested more as a space for a community group . Something maybe like counselling ? Outreach? Anything that doesn't need to accommodate large numbers of people at one go yet has a community use. Or just as plain offices for a project ?

I've not been in it since the 70's but "compact" isn't the word.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

dave m wrote: 29 May 2019 09:17 Pretty sure that the museum (reading) has images. They have changed their website so I can't find the illustrations section at the moment

Cemetery Arch was built either as a small cottage for a warden or just as an office and would need far more work to turn it into residential accommodation but afaik it was suggested more as a space for a community group . Something maybe like counselling ? Outreach? Anything that doesn't need to accommodate large numbers of people at one go yet has a community use. Or just as plain offices for a project ?

I've not been in it since the 70's but "compact" isn't the word.
Coley Avenue
http://collections.readingmuseum.org.uk ... sStart=246

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 29 May 2019 09:29
Coley Avenue
http://collections.readingmuseum.org.uk ... sStart=246

Pete.
Ah thanks Pete - yes that’s the one I’ve got.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Bam wrote: 28 May 2019 18:44 Do they still close it off with iron gates? Years back, the main gates were almost always closed with a snicket gate for pedestrians. The snicket required one to stoop to pass through. Thus I witnessed a nasty accident. A blind man with his guide dog approached the open snicket gate. The dog passed through and the man followed but his head was far enough above the snicket gate that he smashed his face at eye level, smashing the top of his nose badly and smashing up a pair of dark glasses. He refused help as he said he lived close by and would sort it.
Yes they still use the gates at night, but the snicket isn't used anymore - I'm presuming whoever takes it on would have keys for the gates as did the previous tenants before (the police)
In fact the last time I visited was just before the police left and it all closed, so very little has changed inside
There is another gate down the Wokingham Rd side but not accessible as such (and not used for years)
It only opened to let delivery trucks drop off soil / mulch etc into a holding area just there which was accessed by the maintenance guys via a footpath through the graves in that corner

I think they now bring it in bagged so no truck-loads
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Thanks, Pete. No wonder I remember the Coley Ave gate pillars, they are impressive and such a shame they went. Wouldn’t be allowed now, whatever we’re those responsible thinking. The car is King, I guess.
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

There was a huge collection of historical local pictures on the Reading Libraries website - possibly I am being dense, or maybe it has moved, but I just can't seem to find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

annap wrote: 29 May 2019 16:54 There was a huge collection of historical local pictures on the Reading Libraries website - possibly I am being dense, or maybe it has moved, but I just can't seem to find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Is this what you are looking for?. You can search for "Illustrations".
https://library.reading.gov.uk/cgi-bin/ ... =GENPARAMS
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

MickEdge wrote: 29 May 2019 17:42
annap wrote: 29 May 2019 16:54 There was a huge collection of historical local pictures on the Reading Libraries website - possibly I am being dense, or maybe it has moved, but I just can't seem to find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Is this what you are looking for?. You can search for "Illustrations".
https://library.reading.gov.uk/cgi-bin/ ... =GENPARAMS
That's it! :thanks1:

Return to “Property developments in Reading”