Tackling Racism

General chat forum
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Re: Tackling Racism

Post by joe_smooth »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Aug 2020 19:35 Why? In an equal world everyone has an equal right. Including that of not agreeing with others and exercising their right to live how THEY choose too.
When will this equal world exist? Because it's not here yet.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

joe_smooth wrote: 25 Aug 2020 19:38
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Aug 2020 19:35 Why? In an equal world everyone has an equal right. Including that of not agreeing with others and exercising their right to live how THEY choose too.
What is equal? By whose measure? An equal world will never exist. To level a playing field you need to tilt it. Thereby disadvantaging someone along the way.

And personally, i don’t care it’s not equal. Particularly if making it so removes or diminishes my freedoms or opportunities.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

The BM bio of Sloane is a bit light on detail, it simply refers to being a dr on Jamaica and a skim read could lead to someone imagining that he tended the slaves.

"For rebellion, slaves were usually punished "by nailing them down to the ground... and then applying the fire by degrees from the feet and hands, burning them gradually up to the head, whereby their pains are extravagant." For lesser crimes, castration or mutilation ("chopping off half the foot") was the norm. And as for negligence, slaves "are usually whipt... after they are whipt till they are raw, some put on their skins pepper and salt to make them smart; at other times their masters will drip melted wax on their skins, and use very exquisite torments."
(Wiki)
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Aug 2020 19:40
joe_smooth wrote: 25 Aug 2020 19:38
What is equal? By whose measure? An equal world will never exist. To level a playing field you need to tilt it. Thereby disadvantaging someone along the way.

And personally, i don’t care it’s not equal. Particularly if making it so removes or diminishes my freedoms or opportunities.
Why do you think that will happen? That's a pretty shitty attitude to have imo.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

My opinion is as valid as anyone else’s and not for you to judge. Don’t like it, don’t read it.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Looking back at many posts in this topic, I think it would be best for racism and the wellbeing and happiness of those posting, if this topic was closed down totally.

All it serves to do is to further polarise the population rather than promote social harmony.

Do we really need it as part of Reading Forum? It can only end in tears and disharmony and why do I see so little of it on other local forums that I use?
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Aug 2020 19:56 My opinion is as valid as anyone else’s and not for you to judge. Don’t like it, don’t read it.
My opinion is that you're a ******* idiot. Don't like it don't read it.
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

Bam wrote: 25 Aug 2020 20:05 Looking back at many posts in this topic, I think it would be best for racism and the wellbeing and happiness of those posting, if this topic was closed down totally.

All it serves to do is to further polarise the population rather than promote social harmony.

Do we really need it as part of Reading Forum? It can only end in tears and disharmony and why do I see so little of it on other local forums that I use?
Maybe those other local forums aren't full of racists by'eck.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

joe_smooth wrote: 25 Aug 2020 20:05
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Aug 2020 19:56 My opinion is as valid as anyone else’s and not for you to judge. Don’t like it, don’t read it.
Like I give a toss what you think :roflol3:
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Aug 2020 20:12
Racist
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

joe_smooth wrote: 25 Aug 2020 20:13
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Aug 2020 20:12

Racist
Lol. Moron.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

I agree with Bam and have decided to leave this thread well alone.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Some of the posters on here remind me of the Irishman who came into my shop in Ealing in the 1960s for some alcoholic medication. He had a black eye, broken nose and badly bruised face. " I got it in an Irish fight at the Green Man on Friday night." He said.
I said " You won't want to go back next week then."
He said " You must be joking. The only reason us Irish go to the Green Man on a friday is for the bloody good fightin'."
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

C.A.Versham wrote: 25 Aug 2020 20:17 I agree with Bam and have decided to leave this thread well alone.
Time to cool off!

The Topic will be closed while everyone draws breath
There's no such thing as a free lunch

Return to “Chatty Person”