Arthur Hill Swimming Pool Development

Tommy
Super Contributor

Re: Arthur Hill Swimming Pool Development

Post by Tommy »

dave m wrote: 19 Sep 2019 08:56 I got an email from him telling me of progress about a week ago.
Alok sharma's very quiet?
Why no constant press releases about it?

Alok hasn't been quiet - he called out that troll EdibleReading yesterday. :roflol3:
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

He has been in constant communication with those who support a new theatre/arts complex.
Alok Sharma like to get into the paper at every opportunity- normally the opening of a small shop - I swear he'd rock up to the opening of an envelope if he thought there was a photo opportunity in it.

Edible Reading isn't a troll.
He/she was expressing an opinion that was genuinely held
Sharma was very quickly put down by many reading residents for failing to even understand EdibleReading's position
Doesn't say much about Sharma's finger on the pulse does it?

Pot calling the kettle black?
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

dave m wrote: 19 Sep 2019 09:04 He has been in constant communication with those who support a new theatre/arts complex.
Alok Sharma like to get into the paper at every opportunity- normally the opening of a small shop - I swear he'd rock up to the opening of an envelope if he thought there was a photo opportunity in it.

Edible Reading isn't a troll.
He/she was expressing an opinion that was genuinely held
Sharma was very quickly put down by many reading residents for failing to even understand EdibleReading's position
Doesn't say much about Sharma's finger on the pulse does it?

Pot calling the kettle black?
From a couple of people who actually know Edible, he has indeed been described as a "whopper".

Either way he needs to change his twitter account handle because he rarely talks about food, it's more trolling MPs and moaning about the referendum.
jb73118
Contributor

Post by jb73118 »

If any of you have ever written to Sharma (I have) and had one of his "I don't care how this area voted, I know best" when he's challenged with a "Why aren't you representing the views of your constituents, which is what you are elected to do?" question, then Edible's view of him is completely justified. Self serving career politician. We really could do with a few Martin Salter's around right now.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

jb73118 wrote: 19 Sep 2019 22:17If any of you have ever written to Sharma (I have) and had one of his "I don't care how this area voted, I know best" when he's challenged with a "Why aren't you representing the views of your constituents, which is what you are elected to do?" question, then Edible's view of him is completely justified.
To be fair, MPs are elected as representatives, not delegates or bound to the whim of their constituency. They also have a degree of loyalty to a party line, and they will also potentially receive briefings on issues which we may not have. It's therefore perfectly reasonable for an MP to act in a way which is not in accordance with their constituents' wishes. However, I'd also expect them to have a bit of tact and diplomacy in expressing their position, and unless matters of national security are involved I'd expect them to actually detail why they may be taking a contrary path (i.e. something more substantive than "I know better").
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

When I sent an email to redwood the reply was so up itself it was comical

It ran along the lines of "I know what I am doing and you little people wouldn't understand" - obnoxious git
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

dave m wrote: 20 Sep 2019 08:42

It ran along the lines of "I know what I am doing and you little people wouldn't understand" - obnoxious git
That sounds like most of parliament against the 17.4m people.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Maybe we should have a referendum on what should happen to Arthur Hill ?

"Plans to turn a historic swimming pool into key worker housing will be voted on tomorrow (Thursday, September 26) despite objection from campaigners that the wrong committee is making the decision."

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... n/?ref=rss
MrsKaur
Contributor

Post by MrsKaur »

Anyone know the latest on what's happening to this sell off?
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

I had to go into town on Monday and saw they were putting the Heras Fencing up around the carpark
MrsKaur
Contributor

Post by MrsKaur »

Maybe someone is trying to stop squatters or there's a possible development about to start. Not seen any news in the media or council site about this.
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

I think they're just using the car park to store scaffolding etc which is being installed on the residential building to the left.
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

I don't think anyone will want to buy it whilst we're in recession
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I think it's already been sold hasn't it? Social housing for NHS?
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

Is it signed and sealed this will be social housing?
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Plans have been submitted to renovate a derelict swimming bath as flats for key workers. Reading Borough Council said construction could start at the former Arthur Hill swimming pool in Cemetery Junction in the new year, if approved. Under the plans, the listed frontage of the building in Kings Road will be retained and it will house 12 one-bed and three two-bed flats. Full story on [ul=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... e-53855523]BBC news website[/url].

In not entirely unconnected news, a leisure operator is set to receive a £410,000 council bailout to keep a fitness complex going in the pandemic. Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL) runs the Rivermead Leisure Complex in Reading and was awarded a contract this year to build two new pool centres. The non-profit company has said it now wants to wait until spring 2021 to sign the contract amid Covid-19 uncertainty. A Reading Borough Council spokesman said the bailout would "ensure the survival of the centre". To progress the projects, the council has also agreed to pay GLL a further £816,000 for preparation work on the new pools. BBC news story.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

£816,000 for preparation work alone? Good grief.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

... saw the plans a few days ago, and thought it sad that another piece of Reading’s history is just being dismissed for the sake of more flats!
As for
Pooneil wrote: 23 Aug 2020 23:36 .....a further £816,000 for preparation work on the new pools. BBC news story.
Glad that I’m no longer expected to pay excessive Council Tax to RBC!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

More flats in a pollution hot spot! Got to love the thinking on that.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 24 Aug 2020 07:35 £816,000 for preparation work alone? Good grief.
It seems a lot but as they reckon on spending £40 million on the two new pools it doesn’t seem so much

The bit the annoys me is the fact they talked about a pool in Palmer Park nearly 20yrs ago
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

So how much do those people who think £800k is "too much"- How much is "just right"?
I'd be delighted to hear your expert opinion.

My work investigated moving locations from one building to another. We spent £1.3 million before the plan was scrapped due to technical difficulties. Of course, we could have just gone ahead and blown ten times that amount before finding out.

Also, pollution wise, the majority of the AH pool flats will be facing the streets behind. The entire King's Rd between The Junction and Queen's Rd is moving towards residential.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

In construction work £800k buys you very little, it cost far more than that locally just to test the ground to see if toxins were still present in a former industrial site before passing it as suitable for building homes on. They found it wasn't and have to repeat the exercise when a period of ten years has passed, it will no doubt be costlier still by then.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

Which company will be re-developing Arthur Hill?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 24 Aug 2020 11:07 It seems a lot but as they reckon on spending £40 million on the two new pools it doesn’t seem so much

The bit the annoys me is the fact they talked about a pool in Palmer Park nearly 20yrs ago
It not just ‘seems’ a lot it is a lot! To cater for one section of the Community.... :banghead:
dave m wrote: 24 Aug 2020 11:38 So how much do those people who think £800k is "too much"- How much is "just right"?
I'd be delighted to hear your expert opinion.

My work investigated moving locations from one building to another. We spent £1.3 million before the plan was scrapped due to technical difficulties. Of course, we could have just gone ahead and blown ten times that amount before finding out.

Also, pollution wise, the majority of the AH pool flats will be facing the streets behind. The entire King's Rd between The Junction and Queen's Rd is moving towards residential.
I didn’t have to wait long for your expected comment :beg1: as you well know I’m no expert, but am entitled to an opinion that £40 million in these strained times, and RBCs apparent lack of money, could be spread more evenly.

Which way those flats face is neither here nor there, apart from the pollution aspect... it’s the loss of another Reading landmark for the sake of - yet another - block of flats!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

AH pool was well past saving without spending excessive amounts of money.
Personally I don't swim, and would be happy if no new pool was built. However, that would be selfish, and many people enjoy it. I support a possible replacement for the Hexagon, and would hope that people who don't go to concerts or theatre would see that sometimes money is spent for the benefit of the community rather than the individual.

The flats are key worker ones and welcome.

Bulmershe Pool has just been rebuilt at a cost of £14 million, part of a Wokingham plan to refurbish several pools.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 24 Aug 2020 10:28 ... saw the plans a few days ago, and thought it sad that another piece of Reading’s history is just being dismissed for the sake of more flats!
As for
Pooneil wrote: 23 Aug 2020 23:36 .....a further £816,000 for preparation work on the new pools. BBC news story.
Glad that I’m no longer expected to pay excessive Council Tax to RBC!
First up the history bit is sort of staying as the ‘listed’ front part isn’t going

The rear section was built a little later (and not listed) as the place started as a bathhouse, then developed into a swimming pool
Problem is the rear part is just a brick warehouse style building with no features / windows etc and starting to crumble, and has a glass roof held up by steel frame work, which is rotting away
A lot of money was spent trying to sort it and it would cost a lot more to fix it all properly and sadly that’s why we are losing the pool facilities which I do bemoan going

But at least the flats are going to be for key workers so not a total loss

And I wish they had sorted a new pool out before this happened
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I don't think that even the front is actually "officially" listed? - although possibly locally?
Listing has to preserve a piece of important architecture. Just having been there for 120 years doesn't count. Otherwise most of the houses in Reading would be listed.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

I loved swimming in Arthur Hill pool. It had a great character to it, so often lost in modern pools.

If the lido can be restored and run successfully, there is no reason why Arthur Hill could not. It could have become a destination location and more than earned it's keep. Sadly RBC seem to lack vision when it comes to a lot of heritage.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

dave m wrote: 24 Aug 2020 12:18 AH pool was well past saving without spending excessive amounts of money.
Personally I don't swim, and would be happy if no new pool was built. However, that would be selfish, and many people enjoy it. I support a possible replacement for the Hexagon, and would hope that people who don't go to concerts or theatre would see that sometimes money is spent for the benefit of the community rather than the individual.

Bulmershe Pool has just been rebuilt at a cost of £14 million, part of a Wokingham plan to refurbish several pools.
Oh well at least we agree on one thing - the replacement for the Hexagon :)
... and there’s a thousand and one flats that key workers could occupy already built, maybe not so close to RBH, but 12 more are not going to go far towards easing that problem.

I fully appreciate the building is probably in a bad state, but just building a few flats seems to me to be an easy opt-out answer.
And ‘No’ I don’t know off the top of my head whatever else could it be used for :) but it would be good know what other options might have been considered.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 24 Aug 2020 12:32
dave m wrote: 24 Aug 2020 12:18 AH pool was well past saving without spending excessive amounts of money.

Oh well at least we agree on one thing - the replacement for the Hexagon :)
... and there’s a thousand and one flats that key workers could occupy already built, maybe not so close to RBH, but 12 more are not going to go far towards easing that problem.

I fully appreciate the building is probably in a bad state, but just building a few flats seems to me to be an easy opt-out answer.
And ‘No’ I don’t know off the top of my head whatever else could it be used for :) but it would be good know what other options might have been considered.
Problem is that existing flats are nearly all bought-to-rent and subsequently high rent levels so out of reach to key workers

Look at any in that area and its surprisingly shocking what some are asking for as rent
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

dave m wrote: 24 Aug 2020 12:27 I don't think that even the front is actually "officially" listed? - although possibly locally?
Listing has to preserve a piece of important architecture. Just having been there for 120 years doesn't count. Otherwise most of the houses in Reading would be listed.
Its locally listed
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

http://www.reading.gov.uk/media/5834/Li ... 6.2017.pdf

Yes- looked it up after I posted.
Local listing is handy but has little power over demolition.
Even listed buildings can be demolished- it just makes it harder
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Reading Borough Council's planning applications committee gave the go ahead to convert the former Arthur Hill swimming pool in Cemetery Junction on Wednesday.

Full story on BBC News website.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”