Arthur Hill Swimming Pool Development

Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Arthur Hill Swimming Pool Development

Post by Lizzy33 »

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... developer/

Looks like the swimming pool at cemetery junction will turn into luxury flats.
Melchett

Re: Arthur Hill Swimming Pool Development

Post by Melchett »

Was obvious that was going to be the case.

Just a complete shambles for this council to close all permanent proper pools and not have new ones in place or near completion. The new pools are only at the sketch stage and not likely to be here any time before 2021 according to an article on IYA. However, given the snails pace this council move at I would say at least another couple of years on top of that.

It also insinuates we won't be having a 50m pool. No surprises there from this catastrophe of a council.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

there are some olympic pools in the UK. 10/12 existing/built
other 50M pools in the UK. 35/6 existing/planned.

Out of the 50M pools, 7 are not open to the general public.

If it was a choice of two 25M or one 50M then the sensible option is 2x 25M
50M pools are reasonably rare and require a lot more infrastructure than normal council pools as the assumption is that they would be used for competition and need more seating/public circulation space etc.
They aren't just a big hole in the ground.
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

New Town is already a bottle neck 365 days of the year. I wonder if there will be limits to the car parking spaces for the new apartments. Also, if there will be major building works done to the site, have the considered where the large lorries or cranes will be able to park without annoying neighbours or businesses. Lets see how this pans out.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

dave m wrote: 25 Jan 2019 11:25 there are some olympic pools in the UK. 10/12 existing/built
other 50M pools in the UK. 35/6 existing/planned.

Out of the 50M pools, 7 are not open to the general public.

If it was a choice of two 25M or one 50M then the sensible option is 2x 25M
50M pools are reasonably rare and require a lot more infrastructure than normal council pools as the assumption is that they would be used for competition and need more seating/public circulation space etc.
They aren't just a big hole in the ground.
We know we won't get a 50m pool as Reading Swimming club is elitist, according to the current council regime. Let's just do mediocre all the time. Actually we don't do mediocre well in this town either.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Melchett wrote: 26 Jan 2019 11:17 We know we won't get a 50m pool as Reading Swimming club is elitist, according to the current council regime.
Source?.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

There is rear access to Arthur hills, albeit a small yard.
I would doubt that parking would be part of the plan, unless they build an undercroft, but they would probably need a service yard or similar that could be used for a crane base
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

chris_j_wood wrote: 26 Jan 2019 13:21
Melchett wrote: 26 Jan 2019 11:17 We know we won't get a 50m pool as Reading Swimming club is elitist, according to the current council regime.
Source?.

The no 50m is a hunch. The elitism of Reading Swimming club, was told first hand.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Melchett wrote: 28 Jan 2019 10:46
Source?.
The elitism of Reading Swimming club, was told first hand.
OK. Told first hand "according to the current council regime" implies either a Labour Councillor or (perhaps) a senior council officer. Anything else would just be hearsay. Please name names, so we can hold people to account.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

chris_j_wood wrote: 28 Jan 2019 11:03
Melchett wrote: 28 Jan 2019 10:46
Source?.
The elitism of Reading Swimming club, was told first hand.
OK. Told first hand "according to the current council regime" implies either a Labour Councillor or (perhaps) a senior council officer. Anything else would just be hearsay. Please name names, so we can hold people to account.
But if they deny it, it's just their word against mine. If I had an actual recording or it was witnessed by someone else then I would. However, if you ask anyone to do with the swimming club you'll find that's the general consensus with this council......
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

Saw some gas people here yesterday, not sure if it was related to any development work or routine maintenance
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Do we know when the works are starting on the new pools? Council said they'd be with us by 2021.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Ha anyone used the (assuming it’s up and running) pop up pool by Rivermead which is the temporary replacement for the now flattened Central Pools?
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

A groundwork treatment company was on site today. They were inspecting the foundations as there's plans to gut the inside of the old place.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Such a shame.

How long does a swimming pool take to build? Only the council said the new ones would be with us by 2021. I haven't seen any work start yet.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Good question. Central is a big loss. Always busy in the evenings with adult swimmers, and half-terms with the kids.

I haven’t even seen plans yet for the new pool in West/Central Reading?
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

I recall seeing some plans. Whether they were final designs I don't know. The council will have to get a move on as they only have around 19 months (End of 2021) to deliver on their promise of 2021.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

It is not " the commercial interests of any party involved in the disposal of the site" that the council should consider, but the interests of the inhabitants of the city whether concerning the provision of facilities or obtaining the best financial deal for the city.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Unfortunately any further discussion of the issue will no doubt be clouded by people yabbering on about "town not city"...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

Pooneil wrote: 28 May 2019 20:48 The council has apparently received a bit of a kicking from the Information Commmissioner for not releasing full details of their deliberations over the sale of the site. Reading Chronicle: "Reading Borough Council ordered to disclose full details of controversial pool sale". Apparently the Council are going to consider whether to appeal, to comply, or presumably to ignore it and risk contempt of court proceedings."The council has received a decision notice from the Information Commissioner’s Office requiring us to release information related to the disposal of Arthur Hill Pool, which we have withheld as exempt under S43 of the FOIA 2000 as likely to prejudice the commercial interests of any party involved in the disposal of the site. The council is currently reviewing its position and will be contacting the third parties involved in the bidding process."
I look forward to seeing the publication of the documentation, fingers crossed.
It's important the Council share there reasonings as they wouldn't do this for any other site.
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... -revealed/

Interestingly, what isn't mentioned here and perhaps RBC aren't aware is that OOAK and The Knight Group are owned by two people are very close friends. They already decided beforehand to submit various bids and Knight would pull-out as he doesn't have any experience and was only there to assist OOAK.

Not sure if any contracts have been signed by RBC and OOAK but there could be claim the bidding to be re-opened. The Nepalese offer sounded beneficial for the community.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Disgusting stuff from this council again. It should remain community based that's for sure.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Sorry but you don’t get from swelling sweets at school to two million quid like that. There’s money in the background somewhere here.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
MrsKaur
Contributor

Post by MrsKaur »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Jun 2019 08:06 Sorry but you don’t get from swelling sweets at school to two million quid like that. There’s money in the background somewhere here.
Perhaps loans? Not sure how you'd give someone such a vast amount thought.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Has the building work started at Palmer Park for the new pool yet?
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

Full details of the latest report are here (PDFs are available at the end of report to download)
https://arthurhillblog.wordpress.com/20 ... FHth-5CELo
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

AD 'break their licencing agreement' council takes away it's licence. Council breaks the law over this (and their accounts) what happens to those accountable in the council?
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Highdown school swimming pool is also currently closed as they have a problem with their boiler and its beyond economic repair. They have no funds to replace it.

I know it is a "Private Pool" however there are a lot of swimming lessons etc. held there. Effectively Reading is another pool down!
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

Oh dear, they do a lot of swimming lessons there that will need to be cancelled. No mention on the website that it's happened but they are currently advertising Easter opening times...

It is a private pool, but aren't they all these days? Even the lido/outdoor pool at Wallingford Riverside is managed by Better now. The only pools round here that are council managed are Meadway and South Reading.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

joe_smooth wrote: 25 Jun 2019 13:17 Oh dear, they do a lot of swimming lessons there that will need to be cancelled. No mention on the website that it's happened but they are currently advertising Easter opening times...

It is a private pool, but aren't they all these days? Even the lido/outdoor pool at Wallingford Riverside is managed by Better now. The only pools round here that are council managed are Meadway and South Reading.
One of my children has lessons there and we have lost 2 weeks. Our swim school has now moved all the lessons to Oratory Prep until Highdown is fixed - they are hoping with Summer holidays approaching that it will be done by the winter term!!
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Exactly the same scenario as bulmershe (yes i know Wokingham not Reading but swimming pools need co-ordinating cross borough) - had a breakdown and it was declared not worth repairing as replacement in the works and asbestos in fabric made the repairs more expensive. Swim school students were offered a transfer of their already paid for lessons to Loddon Valley or Wokingham but at random stupid times.
That was Feb 18 and the new pool is listed as Summer 2020 which means unlikely before September
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Bulmershe shut only a few months earlier than planned because of the problems found. I know the staff tried their best to fit classes in at the other pools but, inevitably, it was a bit rushed and they had to fit around existing lessons.

The new building is rapidly taking shape and I'm looking forward to it opening.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Fed-up wrote: 27 Jun 2019 06:58 Bulmershe shut only a few months earlier than planned because of the problems found. I know the staff tried their best to fit classes in at the other pools but, inevitably, it was a bit rushed and they had to fit around existing lessons.

The new building is rapidly taking shape and I'm looking forward to it opening.

Is a huge disappointment Reading council aren't so proactive in getting these new pools open. Too busy with legal cases over Arthur Hill I guess.
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

Does anyone have contact information for the "Save Arthur Hill" group?
I was looking for an email/phone number to contact them.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”