Confused as Buyer, where to Buy first home in Reading!! Help !!

subbu277
Contributor

Confused as Buyer, where to Buy first home in Reading!! Help !!

Post by subbu277 »

Hi All,

Me and my wife live very near to Reading center in a block of flats and we thought it is the right time to invest in a property in Reading, my wife doesn't like Old built and hence we are only looking for new developments in and around Reading.
While both of us work in Newbury but finalized Reading as a region where we would like to settle and build our family.

We have seen the below houses in and around Reading with a budget of 450-500 K are:-

1. Reading Gateway
2. Reading Riverside (Only Flat) - Questions outstanding on whether to invest 400k on a 2 bed flat is worth
3. Kennet Island
4. Green Park Village
5. Hyde End road

We would like to know from experts in this groups as to which of these places are best in terms of overall living, we are new to Reading hence do not know how these areas are, schools available and the community nearby.

Why I have mentioned above five is that those are the new developments in and around Reading, if someone is aware of any please let me know.

Also we would like to which areas in Reading are better to invest if we go down the route of buying a old detached and re-modifying according to our needs.

Thanks,
Subbu
blitheringidiot
Super Contributor

Re: Confused as Buyer, where to Buy first home in Reading!! Help !!

Post by blitheringidiot »

Hello Subbu

Firstly, you may find this post gets reallocated to another 'bit' of the forum.

Secondly, you will be a estate agents dream client [ that isn't a good thing btw]

Thirdly, I don't really know any of the developments that you list, but am fairly sure that some of them come up in local news stories about there not being enough car parking [even though resident had been told there would be]

Fourthly, I couldn't imagine anything more mad than considering 400k on a flat - worth remembering that it is Reading, and not London

Fifthly, do you need to be near to the town centre? Prices are way cheaper out in the shires. If you have a car / cars and drive to work, then you would save yourself a lot of money and aggravation by buying somewhere between Reading and Newbury.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Hello Subbu

Well you’re not exactly new to Reading so although most people post in “Moving to Reading” on this subject, I guess that doesn’t really apply.

The post above has some very sensible answers. If you intend, at least for the foreseeable future, to work in Newbury, then West Reading would seem the most logical area to live. The places you list would mean getting across town or driving on the M4 to Junction 12 - not ideal.
Probably around Calcot, Tilehurst would be a good place to start... there are a lot of older properties, but some not nearly so. Easy journey into the town centre by car or buses. Tilehurst village certainly has a community feel and there are plenty of schools and with Prospect Park a great outdoor leisure facility.

I’d certainly agree about not spending £400K on a flat!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Avoid Whitley, Coley, East Reading and West Reading (essentially anywhere on or off the Oxford Road). Also dodge Southcote. All names are rough and high in crime.

Nicest parts I’d say are Tilehurst. I quite like parts of Calcot as well.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OneGorman wrote: 28 Dec 2018 23:21 Avoid Whitley, Coley, East Reading and West Reading (essentially anywhere on or off the Oxford Road). Also dodge Southcote. All names are rough and high in crime.

That’s a rather broad generalisation! And really not justified.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Kennet Island and Green Park are built in brown fields sites - a sewage farm and pretty much flood plain/municipal tip - respectively. Nice. Amenities are poor in that area. Riverside isn’t beside a river, it’s a canal, but if that’s what floats your boat (no pun intended). If you’re buying to let or speculate on a flat, guess it doesn’t matter what the amenities or history of the place are if you’re not going to live there yourself.

Southcote is not rough nor is it high in crime. That’s prejudice speaking - the majority of housing is in private hands, not that fact makes any difference. New builds generally are pokey and poorly constructed, with nil or tiny gardens and minimal parking. It’s madness to spend £400k on a flat, that is never really your own in terms of lease and ground rents, let alone being potentially surrounded by people above, underneath and on both sides of you. You’d be quite challenged to find a new build 3 bed semi in RG30 for under £350, let alone a detached and even more so if you wanted an older property which, IMHO, are better constructed and have more room.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Good post VoT

Better to find a do- er upper with potential to make into what you want.

New builds often come with shed loads of problems that the builder is reluctant to address and the so called 'guarantee' is not that great.
Yola

Post by Yola »

J11 to J12 on the motorway is a short hop and shouldn’t put you off looking at Kennet Island. I know someone who long-term rents there with a growing family and he speaks well of it. Not sure what prices are like there though as new builds aren’t on my radar. There is a hotel where you can join as a member for gym and pool use, and shops reasonably close by.
wirewiper
Super Contributor

Post by wirewiper »

To be honest, if you are looking for a community I wouldn't buy in any of the areas you list. Buy a do-er upper as close to Tilehurst Village as you can get.
Whitespirit
Super Contributor

Post by Whitespirit »

OneGorman wrote: 28 Dec 2018 23:21 Avoid Whitley, Coley, East Reading and West Reading (essentially anywhere on or off the Oxford Road). Also dodge Southcote. All names are rough and high in crime.

You slag of Whitley but say you like Calcot? I lived in Whitley for over 25 years and if I had to choose between there and Calcot I wouldn't hesitate. And it wouldn't be Calcot. And I'd avoid several areas of Tilehurst as well quite honestly.

As for the OP. If you have 400k+ to spend then by thinking away from Reading, places like Thatcham for example, you can get some decently modern homes for that kind of amount. Is there a reason you are so keen on Reading?
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 29 Dec 2018 08:40 Kennet Island and Green Park are built in brown fields sites - a sewage farm and pretty much flood plain/municipal tip - respectively. Nice. Amenities are poor in that area. Riverside isn’t beside a river, it’s a canal
For that matter, Kennet Island isn't an island, and it isn't on the Kennet. The marvels of marketing...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Lol. Touché Poo.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
subbu277
Contributor

Post by subbu277 »

blitheringidiot wrote: 28 Dec 2018 17:08 Hello Subbu

Firstly, you may find this post gets reallocated to another 'bit' of the forum.

Secondly, you will be a estate agents dream client [ that isn't a good thing btw]

Thirdly, I don't really know any of the developments that you list, but am fairly sure that some of them come up in local news stories about there not being enough car parking [even though resident had been told there would be]

Fourthly, I couldn't imagine anything more mad than considering 400k on a flat - worth remembering that it is Reading, and not London

Fifthly, do you need to be near to the town centre? Prices are way cheaper out in the shires. If you have a car / cars and drive to work, then you would save yourself a lot of money and aggravation by buying somewhere between Reading and Newbury.
Hi Buddy - Thanks for commenting but could not understand your second point ( is it because we are confused where to buy?)
subbu277
Contributor

Post by subbu277 »

Thank you all we are even considering Wokingham as an option, because we have come to realize that reading properties are bloated because of the crossrail effect.

Do-er suggestions are interesting, don;t know the possibilities of that
blitheringidiot
Super Contributor

The Crossrail effect is an interesting one , since Crossrail isn't coming to Reading (?). It will terminate at Maidenhead.
Wokingham is pretty enough, but is increasing in size at a rapid rate. Obviously the local council will enjoy all the extra rates being paid in.
Maybe worth noting that 'Reading' has pretty much always been 'labour controlled' with Woingham and Newbury very much 'conservative controlled'
blitheringidiot
Super Contributor

Hello
Apologies if this gets posted twice
In my limited experience of estate agents they may have their own interests in selling you a particular property, whether that be an increased commission or just to offload somewhere that hasn't sold for a long time.
Just as a word of caution, there are quite a lot of similar houses for sale in the old Dee Road Estate.
I think it has been mentioned here before that they were all built and sold at the same time a few years ago as part buy / part Ret places, and now the owners are wanting to move on all at the same time.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

blitheringidiot wrote: 29 Dec 2018 21:23
Maybe worth noting that 'Reading' has pretty much always been 'labour controlled' with Woingham and Newbury very much 'conservative controlled'
What’s that got to do with it? (the question in hand).

One doesn’t have to live in Wokingham to be under the Wokingham council. Parts of Woodley and virtually all of Old and Lower Earley are and the more rural areas like Barkham, Sindlesham, Twyford etc too. But apart from that I’d have thought it is stretching the journey a bit if travelling daily to Newbury. Admittedly we largely like living within WDC. Although no personal need for them now, the schools in the areas are excellent as are most amenities.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

blitheringidiot wrote: 29 Dec 2018 21:23 The Crossrail effect is an interesting one , since Crossrail isn't coming to Reading (?). It will terminate at Maidenhead.
Wokingham is pretty enough, but is increasing in size at a rapid rate. Obviously the local council will enjoy all the extra rates being paid in.
At first for some unknown reason cross rail was to start at Maidenhead. However as Reading has become a very important hub for trains across the country having had millions spent on it as a new station, the electrification is already there for cross rail, compère this to Maidenhead. In all honesty who wants to travel miles to Maidenhead to catch cross rail when all the facilities are there at Reading with all its rail, road links, really is a no brainier.

Regarding where to live try Newbury and leave us Readingites alone, and travel in peace from Newbury to Ikea. Juc 13 to 12 depending which way you are going. Job done.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
blitheringidiot
Super Contributor

Hello
It looks like I may be out of date with my information about Crossrail, so apologies for the red herrring.

From a personal point of view, and if I had the chance, I would not be looking to subsidise a council whose propensity for expenditure (of tax payers money) does not chime with me. If I have to pay Council Tax, I would look at the ruling administration and how and what they spend their (our) money on.

Hopefully all readers here will note that I have not isolated any areas for inclusion or exclusion, I think those discussions have been done to death here several times over.

Good luck in your search.
subbu277
Contributor

Post by subbu277 »

PC49 wrote: 29 Dec 2018 21:47
blitheringidiot wrote: 29 Dec 2018 21:23 The Crossrail effect is an interesting one , since Crossrail isn't coming to Reading (?). It will terminate at Maidenhead.
At first for some unknown reason cross rail was to start at Maidenhead. However as Reading has become a very important hub for trains across the country having had millions spent on it as a new station, the electrification is already there for cross rail, compère this to Maidenhead. In all honesty who wants to travel miles to Maidenhead to catch cross rail when all the facilities are there at Reading with all its rail, road links, really is a no brainier.

Regarding where to live try Newbury and leave us Readingites alone, and travel in peace from Newbury to Ikea. Juc 13 to 12 depending which way you are going. Job done.
haha lol leave us readingites alone, as me going will leave u in sane hands, reality is that more and more will be coming to the vibrant city Reading because of its proximity to London and brilliant connections plus univs.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Well, back on subject with no ill-informed slagging off, joking or otherwise

As you state you like living in Reading and want to stay, but other points would be what exactly about the town do you ‘want’ – schools etc are a given but often there is more

I live (and was born/not moved from as too nice) East Reading and have family / friends / acquaintances all over this town and surrounding areas so got to know the good / bad parts
And sadly that’s the problem - even the decent areas have ‘pockets of trouble’ and they are the ones that usually get in the news
I even know some nice bits in Whitley so not all bad! – and some bad ones in Tilehurst so what

TBH I wouldn’t recommend East Reading as no real new builds apart from Woodley or Lower Early, which aren’t even part of Reading
Plus, wrong side of town for commuting

As for the listed paces
1. Reading Gateway
Don’t know a lot about this as yet as so new, do have friends who have looked at places but undecided as yet
No specific reasons just looking in general - but schools where a worry for them?
2. Reading Riverside (Only Flat) - Questions outstanding on whether to invest 400k on a 2 bed flat is worth
It’s a flat - no
3. Kennet Island
Know some people who moved there, then left soon after as didn’t like it – very continental in layout, and no real community sprit
Plus, they got shafted over parking spaces (should have had 3, got 1)
4. Green Park Village
I know one couple (friends) who live there, but not visited yet - they like it but don’t have children and have said if they do they would consider moving
And it still suffers from eth Whitley Whiff at certain times
5. Hyde End road
I would be tempted with that - it’s a nice area but must admit don’t know about the houses etc
And a bit far out of town for me

You also have some of the newer areas out towards J12 (either side) but comes back to my opening line about what do you really ‘want’ as maybe too far out from the town

Likewise, with Wokingham - worked there for 13yrs and with many who where local, so got to now it well
It’s expensive for what you get otherwise okay - but the town has gone downhill a lot!

As for commuting, getting in/out is a nightmare
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

But hasn't Wokingham gone to lengths to improve the town centre?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Melchett wrote: 04 Jan 2019 10:01 But hasn't Wokingham gone to lengths to improve the town centre?
Yes and No!

After months of work / disruptions and closures its almost finished / opened but……………………

Only about 200yds from Boots to The Redan Pub was knocked down and redeveloped, and only 2 of the new shop units taken – the rest are still empty
Some new paving was also put in and a general tidy-up

That’s it!

Lots of new development at the South side of the town but mostly new apartments with a small bit of retail

A new car park was opened right over by the railway – odd place as a good 1/3 mile form the edge of the town so roughly 10min walk to get to any shops!
Some other work going on just near that but no buildings etc as yet

TBH to me it seems to have been a waste if time / money as no real differance
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

I used to go over, not often admittedly, to shop in Wokingham. Parked either behind Waitrose or in the Easthampstead Road (opposite the old old cinema) easy stroll to the shops.... but from a friend who lives there, just on the edge of town, it’s been a nightmare living with the disruptions. I gather the parking near Waitrose is now gone, many retail businesses have been put out of business - with no compensation and because he’s elderly he now has to rely on his daughter taking him into shop - although he normally drives everywhere.... can’t ascertain if the carpark by the cinema is still there.... all-in-all it doesn’t sound good at all.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Is that where the fire station is now? If so, I think there is a car park opposite it and next to it.

https://goo.gl/maps/NHe5HiyVY1n
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 04 Jan 2019 16:10 Is that where the fire station is now? If so, I think there is a car park opposite it and next to it.

https://goo.gl/maps/NHe5HiyVY1n
Yes that looks like it thanks :)
subbu277
Contributor

Post by subbu277 »

OLDMAN wrote: 02 Jan 2019 13:24 Well, back on subject with no ill-informed slagging off, joking or otherwise

As you state you like living in Reading and want to stay, but other points would be what exactly about the town do you ‘want’ – schools etc are a given but often there is more

I live (and was born/not moved from as too nice) East Reading and have family / friends / acquaintances all over this town and surrounding areas so got to know the good / bad parts
And sadly that’s the problem - even the decent areas have ‘pockets of trouble’ and they are the ones that usually get in the news
I even know some nice bits in Whitley so not all bad! – and some bad ones in Tilehurst so what

TBH I wouldn’t recommend East Reading as no real new builds apart from Woodley or Lower Early, which aren’t even part of Reading
Plus, wrong side of town for commuting

As for the listed paces
1. Reading Gateway
Don’t know a lot about this as yet as so new, do have friends who have looked at places but undecided as yet
No specific reasons just looking in general - but schools where a worry for them?
It’s a flat - no
3. Kennet Island
Know some people who moved there, then left soon after as didn’t like it – very continental in layout, and no real community sprit
Plus, they got shafted over parking spaces (should have had 3, got 1)
4. Green Park Village
I know one couple (friends) who live there, but not visited yet - they like it but don’t have children and have said if they do they would consider moving
And it still suffers from eth Whitley Whiff at certain times
5. Hyde End road
I would be tempted with that - it’s a nice area but must admit don’t know about the houses etc
And a bit far out of town for me

You also have some of the newer areas out towards J12 (either side) but comes back to my opening line about what do you really ‘want’ as maybe too far out from the town

Likewise, with Wokingham - worked there for 13yrs and with many who where local, so got to now it well
It’s expensive for what you get otherwise okay - but the town has gone downhill a lot!

As for commuting, getting in/out is a nightmare
Thank you buddy for you opinion

Return to “Property developments in Reading”