Broad Street Mall

maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Re: Broad Street Mall

Post by maggieaitch »

I use the Butts Centre Superdrug as it's much easier to find stuff than the Broad St branch. Same goes for H and B.
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

jonbryce wrote: 05 Mar 2019 16:12
bert wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:14
bluemondayuk wrote: 02 Mar 2019 14:06 BSM might put the frighteners up some of the middle class types on here, but the footfall for Wilkos, TK Maxx, Poundland and the incoming Iceland will keep the place ticking over quite happily.
Yep, I agree. Also - The Works, Greggs, Boswells, Superdrug, Holland and Barrett etc. It's not as glossy as The Oracle, but as well as those pretty popular stores, it has a gym, NHS walk in centre and a post office. I pop into town 2 or 3 times a week and I usually spend more time in the BSM than in the Oracle.
Greggs, Superdrug, and Holland & Barrett already have branches elsewhere.
Nobody uses the Butts Centre Superdrug, everyone goes to Broad Street. It's a lot bigger and has more stock lines.

Holland & Barrett are also in Smelly Alley & Oracle. I think most people use the Oracle shop.
Sorry, I'm not getting your point? As bluemondayuk posted, some folk wouldn't be seen dead in there, but many others (like Maggie in the post above), find it a useful shopping destination, even if some of the stores have other branches elsewhere.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Don’t mention the flats...

Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Only two cars in the artists impression. Fanciful.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Not sure why, it's a pedestrianised area
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

dave m wrote: 18 Jun 2019 09:07 Not sure why, it's a pedestrianised area
You see that bit where the cars are on? That isn't pedestrianised Dave.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Nor has it ever been lol. It’s the road minus the bollards.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

There’s Pay and Display parking on the market side along there for about 9-10 cars – other side is DYL’s
But with this development that parking could go, so nothing wrong with that image
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Where would they supply the shops from? I take it the green canopies are shops?
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OneGorman wrote: 17 Jun 2019 23:51 Don’t mention the flats...
Ye Gods!
What a tragedy The Butts isn’t a Conservation Area!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 18 Jun 2019 11:27 Where would they supply the shops from? I take it the green canopies are shops?
That's the ex-Poundland unit and is serviced - like the rest of the centre - from the basement.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Ah right yes, I’d forgotten about that.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

cnb wrote: 18 Jun 2019 12:01
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 18 Jun 2019 11:27 Where would they supply the shops from? I take it the green canopies are shops?
That's the ex-Poundland unit and is serviced - like the rest of the centre - from the basement.

That Poundland store got a mention on 'Shopping with Keith Lemon' by Jimmy Carr. He said he likes it than at one of the venues he plays in Reading there is a Poundland and a 99p store next to each other.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 18 Jun 2019 11:48
Ye Gods!
Can't believe that you can condemn The Oracle as ugly but decry the fact that the brutalist 70s architecture of The Butts isn't protected. :wink:
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Yola

Post by Yola »

It’s an improvement if they can get it to look like the artist’s impression.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 18 Jun 2019 17:24 Can't believe that you can condemn The Oracle as ugly but decry the fact that the brutalist 70s architecture of The Butts isn't protected. :wink:
Ah! That, I admit, was a rather ambiguous statement - I actually meant St.Marys Butts/the Minster Church and it’s immediate vicinity - and certainly not the existing Broad St Mall! :))
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

In the plans that area is for service vehicles only
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 18 Jun 2019 18:56
Pooneil wrote: 18 Jun 2019 17:24 Can't believe that you can condemn The Oracle as ugly but decry the fact that the brutalist 70s architecture of The Butts isn't protected. :wink:
Ah! That, I admit, was a rather ambiguous statement - I actually meant St.Marys Butts/the Minster Church and it’s immediate vicinity - and certainly not the existing Broad St Mall! :))
That does make rather more sense! :-)
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

piwacket wrote: 18 Jun 2019 18:56
The minster is both a Grade I listed building and in a Conservation Area. The boundary of the conservation area runs down the eastern side of St Mary's Butts, then westwards behind the electricity substation, then south to the west of The Sun to Castle Street. It excludes the area covered by the 1960s/70s development (not surprising, given that conservation areas as a concept have only existed since 1967, when that area was a pile of rubble).

The proposed buildings above the Broad Street Mall should still be subject to listed building consent as they "affect the setting of a listed building", but tall buildings in a town centre context are not in themselves likely to result in refusal - it will only be an issue if they obscure an existing view, for example. If you look at the application for the hotel it explains why the materials have been chosen to be in keeping with the historic buildings nearby.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Thanks for that cnb... I’m not sure which is the Hotel, difficult to tell as they all look like bland sugar boxes rather than blending with anything historic nearby :shrug1:
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

piwacket wrote: 18 Jun 2019 11:48
Ye Gods!
A tragedy the Butts hasn’t been flattened. That place leaks money. Waste of space.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Afaik the hotel site would be the present Eva's site
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I remember the Butts Centre when it was built, then renamed Broad Street Mall

Its been re-vamped a few times, but so has the Oracle recently

I still go in there any time we visit town - more so than the Oracle as that does seem to be a money grabbing pit of shops etc

So to develop it like this seems a good idea
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Just revisited the plans (likely to be signed off, Wednesday) on the RBC website and everything was going swimmingly until I realised the surface - under foot - is likely to comprise red brick paviors along Dusseldorf Way.

This dismal (dare I say monstrous) configuration seems to be an obsession with towns (including Reading) across this country. It's the 21 century FFS - not the 1980's and 90's
'Let's Go Brandon'
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Just heard the summary of the whole Broad Street Mall development, by the owners Moorgarth, who just spoke at the Reading Borough Council Planning Committee meeting. Here are the next developments coming up and their approximate timeframes:

Community cinema construction commenced.
Premier Inn hotel and restaurant development on Hosier Street beginning construction within 2 months.
Foodhall, located in the former Poundland store, operational by June to July 2020.
Residential elements (proposed tower blocks) are currently being discussed at the meeting.
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

Thanks for the updates, Ash. Good news about the Foodhall, I was wondering if that was still coming.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

What is meant by a foodhalll? Is it l8ke the old place upstairs, which,certainly in its later days, was not used much.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Spud-u-like returns!
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

mikejee wrote: 05 Mar 2020 22:26 What is meant by a foodhalll? Is it l8ke the old place upstairs, which,certainly in its later days, was not used much.
I'm hoping it'll be a place for smaller, independent traders to set up selling food that is a bit different to what is available elsewhere. A bit like a semi-permanent place for some of the vendors that sell under the 'Blue Collar Street Food' or the 'Chow Friday food market' umbrella or for places like 'Vegivores' in Caversham to sell some of their food. Perhaps like the Boxpark venues in London (list of food sellers here - https://www.boxpark.co.uk/croydon/food-and-drink/).

It's a bit off the beaten track though, so it'll be interesting to see which vendors appear and if they can market it well enough to pull people off the main drag to visit.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

This piece in GetReading begs the question as to why more flats are needed - or being given planning approval, when RBC are saying “there’s a glut”
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/prope ... d-17869356
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

piwacket wrote: 06 Mar 2020 20:13 This piece in GetReading begs the question as to why more flats are needed - or being given planning approval, when RBC are saying “there’s a glut”
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/prope ... d-17869356
The housing market pretty much stopped for the last couple of years, not just in Reading but across the country, with the blame generally pinned on 'Brexit-related uncertainty'. Recent reports are that houses have started to sell again now that the possible Brexit outcomes have been reduced to a fairly narrow range. If that's the case the glut will be gone in a couple of years,
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

cnb wrote: 06 Mar 2020 22:01 The housing market pretty much stopped for the last couple of years, not just in Reading but across the country, with the blame generally pinned on 'Brexit-related uncertainty'. Recent reports are that houses have started to sell again now that the possible Brexit outcomes have been reduced to a fairly narrow range. If that's the case the glut will be gone in a couple of years,
Yes, I know the housing market was down, but has now picked up considerably and some of the houses they mention have been empty - not necessarily for sale - for some time. My stepson is an Estate Agent in Reading and has said on several occasions, that many of the flats available in Reading, on the market when people want to move on, just don’t fetch the prices asked and even new ones, in his opinion, are overpriced from day one. Of course that probably doesn’t include those that are marked as Social Housing.
I’m not quite sure how that works... when an area is developed and some are reserved for Social Housing, but the others are for sale- who tops up the difference? Or are those of lesser quality?
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

They are of "lower quality"
Some are smaller, with fewer rooms, less glamorous facilities. Some even have "poor doors" where the residents enter around the back. Some luxury flats have nice foyers or pools, from which the social tenants are banned (fair enough)

Some social housing is built on a different site entirely
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Thanks for the clarification DaveM :)
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

In many cases, if not most, in order to gain planning permission I think you have to have a certain percentage of ‘affordable’ units in any built IIRC. I believe there was a big hoo ha about social housing/affordable home residents in some posh development having to enter by the ‘tradesmans’ door wasn’t there?

Return to “Property developments in Reading”