Bin Collections

General chat forum
OLDMAN

Bin Collections

Post by OLDMAN »

Although not Reading, just thought I would mention this as an interesting style of bin / rubbish collection's down in Weymouth

The area we stayed in didn't have 'bins' as such

You collected the rubbish in your own pedal bin, then when the bag was full took it to a communal (large) bin tucked away in the road

Any recycling had to be taken to a collection point as we would do with bottles etc

But I did notice some of the 'residential' places also had food collection bins

Then each day...…...yes EVERYDAY...… a dustcart came round, but they varied what was collected
Some days they did the large bins, others where the normal public roadside bins, (of which there where many) and twice a week the food bins

Although they checked all the bins every visit, and emptied any that had got a bit full

A combination of all that, plus regular road sweepers (saw then twice in one week) meant the area was very clean and tidy

So all we need to do know is get RBC (and WBC) down there for a look...……….
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
cnb
Super Contributor

Re: Bin Collections

Post by cnb »

OLDMAN wrote: 24 Sep 2018 13:31 Although not Reading, just thought I would mention this as an interesting style of bin / rubbish collection's down in Weymouth
That's how rubbish disposal works in most of mainland Europe. I've never understood why the UK insists on having separate bins for every house.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Seen it abroad but never in Uk before

Last year they said to keep all rubbish for the week then bag it and put into a communal bin and no mention of the daily collections!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

OLDMAN wrote: 24 Sep 2018 13:31 Although not Reading, just thought I would mention this as an interesting style of bin / rubbish collection's down in Weymouth

The area we stayed in didn't have 'bins' as such

You collected the rubbish in your own pedal bin, then when the bag was full took it to a communal (large) bin tucked away in the road

Any recycling had to be taken to a collection point as we would do with bottles etc

But I did notice some of the 'residential' places also had food collection bins

Then each day...…...yes EVERYDAY...… a dustcart came round, but they varied what was collected
Some days they did the large bins, others where the normal public roadside bins, (of which there where many) and twice a week the food bins

Although they checked all the bins every visit, and emptied any that had got a bit full

A combination of all that, plus regular road sweepers (saw then twice in one week) meant the area was very clean and tidy

So all we need to do know is get RBC (and WBC) down there for a look...……….
How far away is the “communal/collection” bin from your property? Who wants to trapse the streets with bags of rubbish, especially in bad weather?
Yola

Post by Yola »

Fantastic idea and should be implemented everywhere. Had this in Poland, Italy, Germany, Belgium and Norway when staying in these countries and it's a far more sensible option.

Problem is, in this country, you'll get all the lazy twonks dumping the items they don't want to take to the tip. There is one of these bins at the end of Anstey Road and the other day, bold as brass 3 blokes carted out broken chairs and a smashed up table and just piled it up alongside the bin. I was lost for words!
Whitespirit
Super Contributor

Post by Whitespirit »

buseng wrote: 24 Sep 2018 17:06
How far away is the “communal/collection” bin from your property? Who wants to trapse the streets with bags of rubbish, especially in bad weather?
And there, I'm afraid to say, is what I think is one of the major issues in this country. In some other countries people are civic minded and are willing to make a small effort. In this country far too many people just say "'what, you expect me to walk 50 yards to a communal bin in order to benefit everyone? Nahh mate, I'll dump it here".
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Am I being naive, but why does everyone think it’s such a good idea to take your rubbish to a bin at the end of your road, rather than have one by your house. Surely, it’s a step backwards. I’ve always thought how lucky we are, when I’ve seen those large public bins in other parts of Europe.

I guess it should save the council money, but that doesn’t make it a good idea, just sad that we can’t afford that level of service anymore. I suppose it could encourage better recycling, but it’s still got to be put in one bin or another, and there’s much more scope for it going in the wrong bin, as happens with apartments.

I’m sure it might work and look better in some places, obviously apartment blocks. Our wheelie bins are so much larger and abtrusive than the old round metal ones we used to have. We just have so much rubbish, but that’s a reason to tackle recycling from both the consumer and supplier ends, not by simply parking a big bin down the road.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Whenever the spaceship has made landfall in Spain, I’ve been both impressed and appalled by their refuse service. Impressed because (at least where I was) it’s collected from those massive metal bins on wheels, every day in the early hours. By necessity, due to so many ants and other associated bugs around Spaniards take all their food and other rubbish out of the house every day, at least once.

I’ve also been impressed how the bin men take everything. Chairs, boxes, beds, old tyres - you name it they take it.

I’ve also been appalled by the stink, amount of feral cats and dogs that live for and in the bins, and the mess that surrounds them. The bins aren’t exactly water tight and as Yola says, whilst the majority of people behave and other their stuff in the bin, there’s the inevitable trash liberally strewn around and almost fly tipped household goods that nearly but not quite, made it into the bin.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually, with some kind of weighing mechanism on the dust cart, that we got invidivually charged by weight of bin.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Areas like Brighton city centre use large bins in layby like areas. It works well
Many of the houses don't have provision for bins or rear access so it makes sense.

A friend lives off the Oxford road and the house is three flats. The front is full of bins.
It would make more sense to have a regularly emptied bin down the road and take a small bag out every time you leave the house?

It depends on the street layout imho.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

I’ve also heard and read stories that the next step is weighing our land-fill rubbish and charging accordingly. This BBC article about a Welsh local authority moving to monthly collections suggests that it’s more about saving money than encouraging recycling.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45616328
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

In answer to questions and comments

There was a list of re-cycling areas / bi9ns and they were mostly at large supermarkets or similar – places you might regularly visit for shopping etc so meant you could take stuff at those times

Nearest for us was at an Asda less than 1/2mile away - most of the others seemed to be similarly spaced between ½ and 1mile from each other
TBH we didn’t generate that much re-cycling stuff so didn’t bother

The large bins in the streets where well-spaced and only meant a very short walk – most probably less than some peoples large gardens / drives

Thinking back we have stayed in a variety of places in roughly the same area, both in apartments and houses and I recall we used to leave stuff out twice a week, and usually just in bags for collection
that or community bins within a complex

This was the first place that had a full explanation of the system!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

Message from the Council regarding collections during COVID-19

Waste services
Waste collection crews are taking a number of precautions to help prevent the spread of Covid19, including the use of gloves and regular use of hand sanitiser. There are further steps everyone can take to help us and help protect our key workers. Please wash your hands before putting your bins out and clean your bin handles before bringing the bin back in.

Please do not put out extra waste next to your bin. If you have had a clear-out please store the waste at your house, in your garden or garage, until the current government restrictions are lifted to reduce pressure on collection crews. This is very important as the recycling centre (tip) is now closed.

Waste collections will start from 6am each day rather than 7am until further notice.
Bulky waste collections and bin delivery have been stopped until further notice.
Both recycling centres - Island Road, Reading and Longshot Lane, Bracknell - are now closed

Garden Waste Collections Suspended
We have suspended garden waste collection service to focus limited resources on the collection of household waste from black bins and recycling from doorsteps.

Due to staff shortages related to the Covid 19 outbreak, garden waste collections are suspended from today and for the immediate future. This will allow council crews to maintain priority collection services from black bins and recycling boxes.

As it is the final week of the 2019-20 garden waste collection service refunds will not be issued, but we are delaying the renewal of subscription for the 2020-21 service, which was due to begin on April 1st. This delay means residents will still receive the full year's collection of garden waste they have paid for from the point at which the service is resumed. All new garden waste subscription renewals have been suspended until further notice, as have the delivery of new garden waste and recycling containers/bins.

For the period that garden waste collections are suspended, residents are being advised to consider storing garden waste at home or making a compost heap if gardening is needed. For information on composting containers please visit www.getcomposting.comOpens new window. The Household Waste Recycling Centre in Reading remains closed at this time.

Getting rid of your waste if you are self-isolating or confirmed to have coronavirus
If you have been confirmed to have coronavirus or suspect you may have, you should dispose of waste that is heavily contaminated - such as tissues and cleaning cloths - in a different way than usual:

place the contaminated waste in a plastic bag or bin liner, tied securely
place this bag in another bag and tie it securely
store these bags separately from other waste for at least 72 hours before putting it in with your general rubbish for collection

Return to “Chatty Person”