Buying a used car

General chat forum
Yola

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Yola »

SND's cars were hugely over-priced. We looked there when OH's (now adult) kids were hitting 18 years old and what they were charging for a hatchback you'd look at buying for a new teenage driver was laughable.

There are lots of very reasonably-priced dealers selling all manner of 2nd hand cars, I bought my old Merc from Calcot Cars, good service, good pricing and what turned out to be a very reliable car.

Nothing to do with 'flash cars' or 'big boys' at all.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Yola wrote: 18 Oct 2018 11:50 SND's cars were hugely over-priced. We looked there when OH's (now adult) kids were hitting 18 years old and what they were charging for a hatchback you'd look at buying for a new teenage driver was laughable.

There are lots of very reasonably-priced dealers selling all manner of 2nd hand cars, I bought my old Merc from Calcot Cars, good service, good pricing and what turned out to be a very reliable car.

Main dealers only sell 2nd hand cars up to a around couple of years old, usually ex demo's or trade ins. Either way well out of my budget & don't want to commit to a long HP deal with massive interest.
FYI my current car (2005) came from SND 6 years ago in 2012. I am now looking to update to around a 2009/2010 one. Nothing flash, fancy or sporty, just a small hatchback runaround slightly better than basic spec.
Look at the SND reviews on Google, they are virtually all positive comments.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

I'd guess your budget is about £5k max, buseng? Have you considered a Dacia Sandero? Something like this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 9290984109

Lots of car for the money and newer than you might expect.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Bannock wrote: 18 Oct 2018 12:21 I'd guess your budget is about £5k max, buseng? Have you considered a Dacia Sandero? Something like this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 9290984109

Lots of car for the money and newer than you might expect.
Thanks for the info, but I was thinking around half that figure. I know you won't get much for that but in the 50 years I've owned a car I have never paid more than around two & a half grand for one. Also the higher the car value must reflect in the insurance premium.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Forgot to mention above, but Air Con is a definite pre-requisite.
Especially after this year. My last two cars have had it.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

Okey doke, good luck with the search. I know it's not as easy as it seems. At your budget I'd be looking for something in a private sale, as there will be a lot of dealer margin in £2.5k. This looks a good 'un:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 0121450344

0118 phone number, so local. And I see an A/C button on the dash.

Bit of a sad hobby of mine, searching autotrader, but there you go. Takes all sorts.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Yola wrote: 18 Oct 2018 11:50 SND's cars were hugely over-priced. We looked there when OH's (now adult) kids were hitting 18 years old and what they were charging for a hatchback you'd look at buying for a new teenage driver was laughable.

I agree

Looking at whose about and there’s only about 4 second hand dealers within the Reading borders

And yet there are 5 along Wokingham Rd between Reading and Wokingham
And even more out along the A4 towards Newbury
Its the same with most outlying towns around Reading

When I looked at replacing my car just over a year ago I had my mind set of the make / model so started searching on Auto Trader
Found 1 in Reading (Berkley Ave) but not quite what I wanted
Found 35 more all within 20-40miles of us

Bought mine from a garage in Southall, 37miles away - and the road where the garage was had 10 SH dealers along it!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Bannock wrote: 18 Oct 2018 10:37 Did anyone say otherwise?
Indeed, my entire point was about the total number of people living here and therefore needing housing. The net cost or benefit of any of them in particular was, and indeed is, entirely moot to that point.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

OLDMAN wrote: 18 Oct 2018 13:15

I agree

Looking at whose about and there’s only about 4 second hand dealers within the Reading borders

And yet there are 5 along Wokingham Rd between Reading and Wokingham
And even more out along the A4 towards Newbury
Its the same with most outlying towns around Reading

When I looked at replacing my car just over a year ago I had my mind set of the make / model so started searching on Auto Trader
Found 1 in Reading (Berkley Ave) but not quite what I wanted
Found 35 more all within 20-40miles of us

Bought mine from a garage in Southall, 37miles away - and the road where the garage was had 10 SH dealers along it!
I can probably name two, Car Contacts in Tilehurst & The Car Centre in Berkeley ave. Also a little one in Southampton St.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Car Contacts in Tilehurst
The Car Centre, Berkeley Ave
Cash for Cars, Southampton St
Evans Halshaw Car Store, Basingstoke Rd (they have a big SH section - didn't realise until my brother and I went to see a car for my niece)

And
Motocars Ltd, Wokingham Rd (corner of St Peters but usually only about half-a-dozen cars if that, so not much of a 'dealer')
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

The one on Southampton Street makes me shiver every time I go past. Never seen a bigger collection of heaps in all my born days.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Bannock wrote: 18 Oct 2018 14:12 The one on Southampton Street makes me shiver every time I go past. Never seen a bigger collection of heaps in all my born days.
Bought my first XJ6 from there back in 1984

Apart from normal 13yrs old S/H car niggles I never had a real problem with it

The decent cars are usually locked away at the back these days as they had a problem with them getting damaged if out the front
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

I look at the Car Contacts website every day but the stock never changes, despite it says it’s updated every day. Car Centre is much the same.
I remember a big one from years ago, Rose Street Garages. They had a branch in Basingstoke Road nearly opposite Gowrings (as was).
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

I've heard mixed reviews about car contacts. They seem to get a lot of their stock from Ireland.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Melchett wrote: 19 Oct 2018 09:16 I've heard mixed reviews about car contacts. They seem to get a lot of their stock from Ireland.
Bought a 1998 Vectra off them in 2004 which lasted me until 2013 when I bought my current car. Didn't really have any problems with it.
As I said above their stock hardly changes now.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

buseng wrote: 17 Oct 2018 12:05 Another local used car dealer gone! This time it's SND Autos in Tilehurst Road by the railway bridge. I drove past there last Saturday & it was all closed up & all the cars gone. Today their website has stopped working & a "permanently closed" message comes up when you do a Google search for them.
Bought my current car from them back in 2012.
Seems local used car dealers are a dying breed & main dealers only sell very recent ex demo or second hand cars (at a price!).
I blame all the new regulations regarding the selling of second hand cars, like not being allowed to transfer tax, for this.
The word on the street (Brunswick Street, that is) is that this is simply a case of retirement. Their landlord offered them a lease extension of a number of years, but the guys running the business were in their 70s and didn't want to make that commitment.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

chris_j_wood wrote: 19 Oct 2018 11:59
buseng wrote: 17 Oct 2018 12:05 Another local used car dealer gone! This time it's SND Autos in Tilehurst Road by the railway bridge. I drove past there last Saturday & it was all closed up & all the cars gone. Today their website has stopped working & a "permanently closed" message comes up when you do a Google search for them.
Bought my current car from them back in 2012.
Seems local used car dealers are a dying breed & main dealers only sell very recent ex demo or second hand cars (at a price!).
I blame all the new regulations regarding the selling of second hand cars, like not being allowed to transfer tax, for this.
The word on the street (Brunswick Street, that is) is that this is simply a case of retirement. Their landlord offered them a lease extension of a number of years, but the guys running the business were in their 70s and didn't want to make that commitment.
The people I saw there didn't look that old, aka the salesman/men.
The site is now ripe for yet more flats now, especially if "can't say no" RBC have their way.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

buseng wrote: 19 Oct 2018 12:07
chris_j_wood wrote: 19 Oct 2018 11:59 The word on the street (Brunswick Street, that is) is that this is simply a case of retirement. Their landlord offered them a lease extension of a number of years, but the guys running the business were in their 70s and didn't want to make that commitment.
I've never used them, but the news comes from an old friend who lives opposite them, and always used to use them.
buseng wrote: 19 Oct 2018 12:07 The site is now ripe for yet more flats now, especially if "can't say no" RBC have their way.
Without a doubt. Although it is quite a small site, so it won't be a big block.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

chris_j_wood wrote: 19 Oct 2018 12:15
buseng wrote: 19 Oct 2018 12:07
chris_j_wood wrote: 19 Oct 2018 11:59 The word on the street (Brunswick Street, that is) is that this is simply a case of retirement. Their landlord offered them a lease extension of a number of years, but the guys running the business were in their 70s and didn't want to make that commitment.
I've never used them, but the news comes from an old friend who lives opposite them, and always used to use them.
buseng wrote: 19 Oct 2018 12:07 The site is now ripe for yet more flats now, especially if "can't say no" RBC have their way.
Without a doubt. Although it is quite a small site, so it won't be a big block.
I'm not disputing what you said.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Drove past SND earlier & there is a large "To Let - Garage/Workshop" sign outside. Hopefully that means it won't become flats like every other available square inch of Reading.
Shame it's gone though.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

An old colleagues husband owns Berkshire Used Cars - whenever I have met hi and been interested in something he has he has seemed to have had good offers and fair deals: http://www.berkshireusedcars.co.uk/

Their current site is in Oxfordshire - they started in Newbury but have moved a couple of times to reduce expenditure on sites. I would have a look, its also worth contacting them if you know what you want but cant find it as they have a lot of contacts.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

Very nice little Alfa Mito on that site, eddie. That would suit buseng's budget and age requirement nicely. Smart little motor.

As an aficionado of used car dealers, I'd say that one looks like a good outfit. The cars are carefully presented, and all pertinent points of interest to the discerning buyer are pointed out or photographed, such as Aux in sockets and spare wheels (which a lot of cars don't have these days). Not all dealers go to this sort of effort, which mystifies me as it really no that hard to do and doesn't cost anything. On first impression I'd be quite confident about buying from there, and they have a nice looking Passat which would suit my needs as it goes.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Bannock wrote: 30 Oct 2018 14:36 Very nice little Alfa Mito on that site, eddie. That would suit buseng's budget and age requirement nicely. Smart little motor.

As an aficionado of used car dealers, I'd say that one looks like a good outfit. The cars are carefully presented, and all pertinent points of interest to the discerning buyer are pointed out or photographed, such as Aux in sockets and spare wheels (which a lot of cars don't have these days). Not all dealers go to this sort of effort, which mystifies me as it really no that hard to do and doesn't cost anything. On first impression I'd be quite confident about buying from there, and they have a nice looking Passat which would suit my needs as it goes.
I agree - speak to Tony, he's the guy I know, really nice bloke and keen to make people happy. I think you have to book appointments to see the cars - you certainly used to when they operated from a different site but may be different now.

The Mito's are great - and as they are basically a Fiat they are easy to look after as well.
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

Will the government asking people to avoid public transport used car sales have actually increased. I suppose this is one area in the economy that may increase and do well as people will prefer to travel in their own safe bubble!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Bicycle sales have also gone through the roof. Went looking at a bike for my wife and the advice was to wait until August when the 2021 bikes will start coming into stock because a number of manufacturers have now sold all of their 2020 stock.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

I've seen a lot of people on those electric scooters on the ROAD!! Very dangerous as they aren't wearing helmets.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

GaryyHill wrote: 03 Aug 2020 20:10 I've seen a lot of people on those electric scooters on the ROAD!! Very dangerous as they aren't wearing helmets.
Well at least it is their decision not to wear a helmet, my problem is the poor pedestrian who is likely to be mown down whilst on the pavement who does not hear these idiots coming. A little while ago I was clearing my hedge on the pavement and in the course of my work stepped back and was nearly knocked over by one of these morons riding an electric scooter, he literately missed me by this new measurement called millimetres. No horn bell or even mouth to let me know of his presence and he was travelling a a fair speed. I will not say what I shouted after him but have not seen him since.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

And of course they are all riding them illegally in this country!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

I notice that many, if not most, Deliveroo cyclists in Reading have electric bikes. Not stock items but with a motorised rear wheel and battery pack added. Illegal, of course, these are often 1kW (claimed) motors and the bikes can do maybe 30mph.

It seems odd to me that Deliveroo seemingly has no responsibility to ensure that their couriers work within the law. Though to be fair, I did see one go the right way down a one-way street the other day; he must have been lost.

Return to “Chatty Person”