Buying a used car

General chat forum
dave m
Super Contributor
Posts: 4649
Joined: 21 Feb 2012 11:21

Re: Buying a used car

Post by dave m »

a friend has a (now) very old Honda and it's brilliant, if not exciting.
it was laid up for a couple of years apart from an occasional start and run round the block.
the only thing that needed doing was that the horn had rusted up/
the one thing I didn't exercise.

I'd look at Honda if I was replacing my car
eddieed
Super Contributor
Posts: 1526
Joined: 04 May 2012 09:46

Re: Buying a used car

Post by eddieed »

piwacket wrote: 03 Sep 2018 13:00 ... currently sitting in the lounge at Merc and being well looked after whilst OH does a test drive :beg1:
I don't have a Merc but I strongly believe there is a good reason why most Taxi companies (especially in Readin) use E Class Mercs as their car of choice - models will 200k miles on them and must have reliability.

I have a Jag XF and love it - mines a SportsBrake (Estate) but they are not for everyone - the ride is superb on mine even with the 20inch Alloys!
cnb
Super Contributor
Posts: 2358
Joined: 01 Aug 2007 15:42

Re: Buying a used car

Post by cnb »

dave m wrote: 03 Sep 2018 13:35 a friend has a (now) very old Honda and it's brilliant, if not exciting.
it was laid up for a couple of years apart from an occasional start and run round the block.
the only thing that needed doing was that the horn had rusted up/
the one thing I didn't exercise.

I'd look at Honda if I was replacing my car
Very reliable cars, but didn't meet pi's criteria. They haven't sold any saloons in the UK for over three years. One of the last Accords (early 2015) might suit her, but by the time it was discontinued it was a pretty old design.
User avatar
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor
Posts: 16468
Joined: 04 Jun 2013 21:14

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

That’s were I used to take mine for servicing Melchett. Scary spendy and they took six or seven goes to fix the engine management light that kept coming on for no apparent reason, rushed me £150 for a diagnostic test then tried to tell me it was £3/4,000 worth of work, whereas my cousins son-in-law fixed the dodgy sensor for free. Hence he does my servicing, MOT, tyres and anything else I need doing......
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
User avatar
piwacket
Moderator
Posts: 31317
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 22:05

Re: Buying a used car

Post by piwacket »

Wow! I do appreciate all the input- thankyou :)

The one Merc we’d seen online which has a sunroof, transpired to be over at Ascot to be looked at, so we were shown another identical without the sunroof... semi-automatic, the workings of which were explained ... :? OH decided to test drive, so they went off to Mapledurham - gone for ages.... because of the traffic coming back down St.Peters(!) - and as someone said above, oh yes Automatic is so different now :) we were both impressed and asked to be rung if the car at Ascot came back.... just as we were leaving, Salesman got a call to say it was coming back - so we go to see it on Wednesday. Seems like our hunt is over :clap2:

Thanks once again for all the informative advice :)
Melchett wrote: 03 Sep 2018 13:31 I've noticed there is a Merc specialist on Portman Road now. Roughly opposite where Tesco's is. Might be worth checking them out if you're going back to the brand or anyone else on here is getting one.
We were at the showroom just round the corner in Richfield Ave, opposite the Toby Carvery - which we fell into for a drink and a plate of Roast - the beef was absolutely delicious!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
User avatar
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor
Posts: 16468
Joined: 04 Jun 2013 21:14

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Welcome to the Merc club, Pi.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Yola

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Yola »

Could do worse Pi, my most recent Merc (convertible; only retired due to OH getting 'the red beast' a couple of years ago), went for 6 long years with very little work needing. It was quite an old one too and was strong as an ox. I used John Griffiths in Caversham when I fell out with the main dealer and they did a good job whenever needed.
User avatar
MickEdge
Super Contributor
Posts: 2247
Joined: 08 Jul 2015 14:54

Re: Buying a used car

Post by MickEdge »

Now Pi, comes the bit I don’t like about buying, the negotiation. I always come away with a suspicion I am be played by a professional, especially if you’re trading in your old one as well. There was a great TV series some years ago, where the buyers wore a discrete earphone and were coaxed remotely on what to say. The coaxer always got them to ask the salesman to throw in new floor mats as the final bid. Trouble is I can’t remember much else.

Thanks Hooped, for all the EV advice. This PCP stuff is interesting and I didn’t realise it was available on used vehicles. People have told me it was cheaper than any other way of paying, and I’ve found that paying cash isn’t always the best way, as the dealers have pushed me into a loan, albeit at 0%. The fact that it isn’t always cheapest just to handover your own cash is another reason why I’m suspicious of the deal I’m getting.

I suppose the answer is that most people borrow, so that’s what the car companies concentrate on, by offering the cheapest monthly cost. PCP and private leasing has been why so many drive Audi’s and BMWs etc. these days, as their lower depreciation benefits are felt upfront, rather than when you sell.
User avatar
piwacket
Moderator
Posts: 31317
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 22:05

Re: Buying a used car

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 03 Sep 2018 15:32 Welcome to the Merc club, Pi.
Sounds like that may be the case VoT.

Yola - we checked with our regular chap who’s looked after my cars for some 25 years - and he’s happy to continue :)

MickE. No PX as a neighbour has had her eye on our car since we bought it- and we did the deal yesterday!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
THC
Super Contributor
Posts: 1170
Joined: 04 Jan 2015 18:51

Re: Buying a used car

Post by THC »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 03 Sep 2018 15:32 Welcome to the Merc club, Pi.
Also a Merc driver, and I was walking past the Merc dealership around the time piwacket were there funnily enough.
User avatar
windrush
Super Contributor
Posts: 7784
Joined: 16 Nov 2006 23:08

Re: Buying a used car

Post by windrush »

dave m wrote: 03 Sep 2018 08:31 A lot of people have been very happy with Donnington Cars
They are quite close to you?

Not sure if the age requirement fits with their stock
They don't seem to have a website
Announced today on facebook that after 53 years Donnington Cars have now ceased trading.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Pooneil
Moderator
Posts: 8134
Joined: 10 May 2011 00:57

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Pooneil »

One other thing to consider is vehicle tax, which is very dependent upon when the car was first registered.
It was first registered between 1st March 2001 and 31st March 2017, then it's purely emissions based on a sliding scale.

If it was first registered on or after 1st April 2017, the first year's tax can he horrendous (another reason to deter new buyers), but after that, it's a flat rate of £140, UNLESS the original list price when new was more than £40,000 - in which case the rates for years 2 to 6 inclusive are £450 per year. I haven't checked, but I bet there's a minor competition at that level of the market to keep list prices to, oh, about £39,999 ;-)
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
User avatar
piwacket
Moderator
Posts: 31317
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 22:05

Re: Buying a used car

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 05 Sep 2018 18:48 .....to keep list prices to, oh, about £39,999 ;-)
Must admit there was some shock and horror at the price of some “classic” car prices when I was scrolling through - the above figure is about 7 x what this house cost! :))
There's no such thing as a free lunch
User avatar
OLDMAN
Moderator
Posts: 22048
Joined: 24 Oct 2007 09:03

Re: Buying a used car

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 05 Sep 2018 17:33
dave m wrote: 03 Sep 2018 08:31 A lot of people have been very happy with Donnington Cars
They are quite close to you?

Not sure if the age requirement fits with their stock
They don't seem to have a website
Announced today on facebook that after 53 years Donnington Cars have now ceased trading.

Pete.
They've been saying that for the last 10yrs or more

My brothers FIL is good friends with them, and they have both bought / sold cars with them
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Fed-up
Super Contributor
Posts: 5273
Joined: 05 Jun 2013 12:28

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Fed-up »

"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
jb73118
Contributor
Posts: 98
Joined: 21 Sep 2010 22:35

Re: Buying a used car

Post by jb73118 »

Melchett wrote: 03 Sep 2018 13:31
Yola wrote: 03 Sep 2018 13:10 Was very much a Merc person for many years but the quality of service at the main dealer was so poor it was a contributory factor to me moving away from the brand, that and the fact they seemed to upgrade their vehicle designs every couple of years.

Good luck, I find cars are a very personal chose based on practicalities and also brand loyalty/desire - hope you find what you're looking for.
I've noticed there is a Merc specialist on Portman Road now. Roughly opposite where Tesco's is. Might be worth checking them out if you're going back to the brand or anyone else on here is getting one.
That would be Calcot Cars. Been using them for a good few years now to look after my (admittedly now ageing - its 10 years old) E-Class. Always been very happy with the service. They've been great at responding quickly when the inevitable disaster strikes just before a long pre-planned journey. Prices are also no worse than any other independent.
User avatar
OLDMAN
Moderator
Posts: 22048
Joined: 24 Oct 2007 09:03

Re: Buying a used car

Post by OLDMAN »

Fed-up wrote: 06 Sep 2018 08:20 Looks like it is true this time:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/permalink.ph ... &__tn__=-R
Oh well - this time its real!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
buseng
Super Contributor
Posts: 6694
Joined: 09 Feb 2011 16:51

Re: Buying a used car

Post by buseng »

Another local used car dealer gone! This time it's SND Autos in Tilehurst Road by the railway bridge. I drove past there last Saturday & it was all closed up & all the cars gone. Today their website has stopped working & a "permanently closed" message comes up when you do a Google search for them.
Bought my current car from them back in 2013.
Seems local used car dealers are a dying breed & main dealers only sell very recent ex demo or second hand cars (at a price!).
I blame all the new regulations regarding the selling of second hand cars, like not being allowed to transfer tax, for this.
Last edited by buseng on 19 Oct 2018 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Hooped
Super Contributor
Posts: 1723
Joined: 10 May 2017 13:43

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Hooped »

I may have misunderstood your point, but I'm not sure I see the logic in that, buseng. My son traded in his car a few weeks ago and a few days later he received a cheque from DVLA for the balance of the road tax. Under the old system, he might have got an equivalent discount off his replacement car to compensate for the tax he'd already paid, but it's hardly something that will cause dealers to go out of business. It's more likely to be a result of several things - more on-line dealers, tighter margins, etc. I was talking to a dealer a couple of weeks ago, and he said that the commissions available nowadays are nowhere near what they were a decade ago. It's a far more competitive environment and there are bound to be casualties.
User avatar
Bannock
Super Contributor
Posts: 2968
Joined: 12 Mar 2012 15:04

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Bannock »

I echo everything Hooped said about electric cars, I've had a Leaf also for a year and his post was spot on. I can also highly recommend Calcot Cars as my other car is an old Merc, and they've been very good when I've needed repairs.
User avatar
OLDMAN
Moderator
Posts: 22048
Joined: 24 Oct 2007 09:03

Re: Buying a used car

Post by OLDMAN »

I've often felt that Reading is a dead place for second hand car dealer as not that many in general

Go out of the town and there's quite a few, and some towns seem inundated with them
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
User avatar
Hooped
Super Contributor
Posts: 1723
Joined: 10 May 2017 13:43

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Hooped »

Bannock wrote: 17 Oct 2018 12:32 I echo everything Hooped said about electric cars, I've had a Leaf also for a year and his post was spot on. I can also highly recommend Calcot Cars as my other car is an old Merc, and they've been very good when I've needed repairs.
I have an update on electric cars.

When I acquired mine nearly two and a half years ago, the government was subsidising the cost to the tune of £5000. Nissan, who had manufactured a load and made promises on how many would be on the road (but were not selling many) matched that. So that was £10k off the price to start with. Plus, I was trading in a 1 year old Qashqai. So I got a really affordable monthly payment under a PCP arrangement.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago... I was aware that there is now a 6 month waiting time for a new Leaf, so with my PCP due to expire in 6 months, I dropped in to see the dealer. Things have changed! Nissan are now selling loads (as evidenced by the 6 month waiting time) so they no longer knock £5k off the price; the government has just advised the trade that their subsidy (now £4500) will reduce further in the October budget (likely to be down to £2000) and because electric cars depreciate really quickly, I had no equity to trade on my old Leaf. Bottom line is that the monthly payments would be more than double what I've been paying. I could have bought my old Leaf, but that would have meant a bank loan and I'm not interested in that. At least I didn't have to mull it over for more than a nano-second!

I absolutely loved my Leaf, but I have replaced it with a 3 year old Juke. Am having to adjust a few habits and my mindset (especially that motorways are the most fuel-efficient way to drive a petrol car - with electric cars it's the opposite). I imagine the price of electric cars will reduce in the coming years and I hope to get another at some point, but right now, the price (for me) is prohibitive.
User avatar
Bannock
Super Contributor
Posts: 2968
Joined: 12 Mar 2012 15:04

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Bannock »

Hmm, that's interesting. Mine's on PCP and I've got 2 years left. I purchased it second hand at 2.5 years old for a mere 10k screen price, and a very reasonable near-zero percentage rate monthly. I was planning on replacing it with another 2-3 year old Leaf when that ends, hoping for a similar arrangement and cost. Are you saying that the PCP you were offered on a replacement Leaf was against a brand new Leaf, or a (newer than your current) second hand one?

I think they're having you on about the depreciation though. Leaf values have been holding up really well.

I might well buy mine outright if I have to. 0% credit cards are handy for such things, forget about bank loans.
Last edited by Bannock on 17 Oct 2018 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
buseng
Super Contributor
Posts: 6694
Joined: 09 Feb 2011 16:51

Re: Buying a used car

Post by buseng »

OLDMAN wrote: 17 Oct 2018 13:16 I've often felt that Reading is a dead place for second hand car dealer as not that many in general

Go out of the town and there's quite a few, and some towns seem inundated with them
There were loads of independent ones years ago, now nearly all gone after being in business for years. Bought many cars off them in the past (As far back as the 70's).
I admit that some had a bad reputation for selling "old bangers" probably barely roadworthy.
Pooneil
Moderator
Posts: 8134
Joined: 10 May 2011 00:57

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Pooneil »

OLDMAN wrote: 17 Oct 2018 13:16 I've often felt that Reading is a dead place for second hand car dealer as not that many in general

Go out of the town and there's quite a few, and some towns seem inundated with them
A car lot of any meaningful size takes up a fair amount of real estate, and with the general popularity of Reading, I suspect that the rent and rates on such a relatively large area must be substantial (and/or the landowners can see substantially more bucks in alternative uses, subject to planning). Hence the plethora of such businesses out of town where the cost of renting land for such a business is probably considerably less.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
User avatar
Hooped
Super Contributor
Posts: 1723
Joined: 10 May 2017 13:43

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Hooped »

Bannock wrote: 17 Oct 2018 13:43 I think they're having you on about the depreciation though. Leaf values have been holding up really well.
Except I could have bought it at the depreciated value, so I don't think so.

And yes, my Leaf was new when I got it in 2016.
buseng
Super Contributor
Posts: 6694
Joined: 09 Feb 2011 16:51

Re: Buying a used car

Post by buseng »

Pooneil wrote: 17 Oct 2018 13:59
OLDMAN wrote: 17 Oct 2018 13:16 I've often felt that Reading is a dead place for second hand car dealer as not that many in general

Go out of the town and there's quite a few, and some towns seem inundated with them
A car lot of any meaningful size takes up a fair amount of real estate, and with the general popularity of Reading, I suspect that the rent and rates on such a relatively large area must be substantial (and/or the landowners can see substantially more bucks in alternative uses, subject to planning). Hence the plethora of such businesses out of town where the cost of renting land for such a business is probably considerably less.
Mention the word “Flats” & the land + planning permission would be agreed like a shot. Cue SND site being turned into proverbial flats.
dave m
Super Contributor
Posts: 4649
Joined: 21 Feb 2012 11:21

Re: Buying a used car

Post by dave m »

It's just uneconomic to run a used car business from a property that is worth far more as housing
In the same way that great western motors moved from station road

There seem to be a fair few retailers in smaller villages outside Reading's boundaries
A mate bought his last car from a guy who was trading from a farmyard/barn

The first thing most dealers did was to cash in any road tax anyway, keeping the money. Or making use of it to apppear to be generous by offering 6 months tax
Pooneil
Moderator
Posts: 8134
Joined: 10 May 2011 00:57

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Pooneil »

buseng wrote: 17 Oct 2018 17:14
Pooneil wrote: 17 Oct 2018 13:59
OLDMAN wrote: 17 Oct 2018 13:16 I've often felt that Reading is a dead place for second hand car dealer as not that many in general

Go out of the town and there's quite a few, and some towns seem inundated with them
A car lot of any meaningful size takes up a fair amount of real estate, and with the general popularity of Reading, I suspect that the rent and rates on such a relatively large area must be substantial (and/or the landowners can see substantially more bucks in alternative uses, subject to planning). Hence the plethora of such businesses out of town where the cost of renting land for such a business is probably considerably less.
Mention the word “Flats” & the land + planning permission would be agreed like a shot. Cue SND site being turned into proverbial flats.
Not exactly surprising , is it? The population of the UK has increased by about 31.5% since 1951, not least because people are living longer, and as well families are more fractured with more divorce, meaning there's greater demand for accommodation. Where else would you put them?
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Melchett

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Melchett »

"not at least because people are living longer".

Nothing to do with the fact of huge net migration and those migrants having lots of children. It's those bloody OAPs again.
User avatar
OLDMAN
Moderator
Posts: 22048
Joined: 24 Oct 2007 09:03

Re: Buying a used car

Post by OLDMAN »

Melchett wrote: 18 Oct 2018 08:28 "not at least because people are living longer".

Nothing to do with the fact of huge net migration and those migrants having lots of children. It's those bloody OAPs again.
Yeh, leave us out of it
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
User avatar
Bannock
Super Contributor
Posts: 2968
Joined: 12 Mar 2012 15:04

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Bannock »

Melchett wrote: 18 Oct 2018 08:28 "not at least because people are living longer".

Nothing to do with the fact of huge net migration and those migrants having lots of children. It's those bloody OAPs again.
Immigrants are a net benefit, even when accounting for costs incurred by the public purse regarding their children. Public services are in crisis because of austerity and bad planning. Stop lying. OAPs are a cost, but that's fine. We all hope to get there one day and be looked after.
Melchett

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Melchett »

Bannock wrote: 18 Oct 2018 09:30
Melchett wrote: 18 Oct 2018 08:28 "not at least because people are living longer".

Nothing to do with the fact of huge net migration and those migrants having lots of children. It's those bloody OAPs again.
Immigrants are a net benefit, even when accounting for costs incurred by the public purse regarding their children. Public services are in crisis because of austerity and bad planning. Stop lying. OAPs are a cost, but that's fine. We all hope to get there one day and be looked after.
Yep. Those bloody OAPs. Paying taxes all their lives and still paying taxes on their pensions and paying taxes on the things they buy.
User avatar
Bannock
Super Contributor
Posts: 2968
Joined: 12 Mar 2012 15:04

Re: Buying a used car

Post by Bannock »

Did anyone say otherwise?
buseng
Super Contributor
Posts: 6694
Joined: 09 Feb 2011 16:51

Re: Buying a used car

Post by buseng »

Speaks for itself, probably can't compete with the "big boys". Not everyone can afford big flashy very new cars from the "big boys".
Some of us have a limited budget.
Attachments
snd.JPG
donnington.JPG
Post Reply

Return to “Chatty Person”