Plans to reconnect historic Reading town centre released

Melchett

Re: Plans to reconnect historic Reading town centre released

Post by Melchett »

Let's hope it includes plans for some leisure facilities. An ice rink or a bowling alley perhaps?
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Supposed to be an ice rink at Royal Elm Park, if it ever gets off the ground.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 05 Jul 2018 13:49 Supposed to be an ice rink at Royal Elm Park, if it ever gets off the ground.
... elevated ice rink, the jumps should be good :)
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Lol - very quick. That new bed of yours must be doing you a power of good.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
johnH
Site Admin

Post by johnH »

Reading Borough Council – Chance to comment on the Draft Hosier Street Area Development Framework

Two exhibitions will be held at the Hexagon Theatre where Council officers will be available to explain and discuss the proposals:

Tuesday 31st July 2018 between 3:00 and 7:00
Wednesday 5th September 2018 between 3:00 and 7:00 .
Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

There's another chance to see the plans and talk to councillors and planners this Wednesday (5th) from 3pm till 7pm. This was my take from the first viewing: http://readingonthames.com/2018/09/02/h ... -st-plans/
Hope you manage to get along to it...
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

peterson wrote: 03 Sep 2018 07:43 There's another chance to see the plans and talk to councillors and planners this Wednesday (5th) from 3pm till 7pm. This was my take from the first viewing: http://readingonthames.com/2018/09/02/h ... -st-plans/
Hope you manage to get along to it...
A nice article to read, as usual. Thank you. I like the idea of using the entire podium spaces for larger units. This sort of arrangement is also seen in Chatham place, with the elevated private gardens for residents.
D6equj5

Post by D6equj5 »

A good read.
Nice one.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Thanks, peterson. You make some good points. I find it hard to get my head around it all, and imagine what it will or should look like. I’m just afraid it might turn out like the hotch-pot around the station. I saw an original photo of the station recently and I realised how the grandeur of it has been swallowed up by the modern buildings, none of which complement each other at all. Reading does need to get it right, else it’ll turn into a dormitory and office town and not much else.

I notice at the bottom your article the Caversham Park house photo and thought how grand it is. It looked kind of Egyptian to me.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

More likely influenced by Greek architecture Mick, not far off.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

thanks all.

On Caversham Park, I note it's "under offer". No idea who to.
https://www.lsh.co.uk/commercial-proper ... currency=1
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

peterson wrote: 03 Sep 2018 20:03 thanks all.

On Caversham Park, I note it's "under offer". No idea who to.
https://www.lsh.co.uk/commercial-proper ... currency=1
It said that a while ago and then it disappeared. Let’s hope they’ve found someone worthy of it.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

lizwing wrote: 03 Sep 2018 19:34 More likely influenced by Greek architecture Mick, not far off.
This is what it reminded me of. Bit of a stretch, I know:
F4E73256-A667-4830-A85B-010D00C56B84.jpeg
159D98D4-4F2C-4ED0-AB04-2475552862D0.jpeg
Just read peterson’s idea for a cable-car across the Thames, from Caversham Park. That’s the kind of thinking we need for the town centre, from the planners. He also makes a good point about how Reading could lose out to London, as the newer high tech companies are being drawn there. This is always going to be a problem for Reading, maybe it always has.

The town centre got a new lease of life when the Oracle was built and drew people in. The online shopping change and other local towns redeveloping is a challenge. Getting the transport right and improving the cultural and leisure offering is crucial. Cafes and apartments, however well designed aren’t enough. I’m just afraid the money available will be drawn to a quick return, and I’m not sure the council have the power to stop it.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

It’s some considerable time since I’ve had occasion to drive across town - and the journey back via Vastern Rd and round into Forbury Rd, which we did yesterday. That monstrosity of a Storage place on Caversham Rd -phwoar! Then turning into Forbury Rd, the SSE building as a stand alone piece is attractive in a sort of in-yer-face building - the various half built mini skyscrapers like big teeth and then the ‘new’ Kings Point building :bigeyes1: .... in the middle distance a few old buildings completely dwarfed by it.... conclusion - :help3: glad we have no real need to make that journey often!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

The storage place on caversham road?
That's been there (the building) since the mid 70's.
It was the original Comet building
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

dave m wrote: 05 Sep 2018 12:37 The storage place on caversham road?
I don't remember it being bright red, that's all :)
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 05 Sep 2018 12:39
It’s been a sort of maroon colour (I wouldn’t call it bright red) since Shurgard took the building on and converted it

And that’s been about 10yrs now
sg.JPG
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 05 Sep 2018 12:55 It’s been a sort of maroon colour (I wouldn’t call it bright red) since Shurgard took the building on and converted it
I'm not denying the building was there - just the dramatic colour was a bit of a shock!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 05 Sep 2018 13:53
OLDMAN wrote: 05 Sep 2018 12:55 It’s been a sort of maroon colour (I wouldn’t call it bright red) since Shurgard took the building on and converted it
I'm not denying the building was there - just the dramatic colour was a bit of a shock!
But as I said, its been that colour for about 10yrs now?

The image I added is from GSV in 2007 (it was the brightest one as sun was out) - it goes back to 2009 in that colour on there
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OK :shrug1: not so glaring in the evenings when going to Cozze ....
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Beauty, ugliness and colour are in the eye of the beholder, and there’s plenty of ugliness in that part of Caversham Rd.
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

you're not going mad.. the Shurgard building has been repainted a very bright red within the last year. It no longer looks like that photo.

Of all the buildings/plots actually worth turning into flats, this would be one of them! I mean really, what is long term storage adding to the town centre! This kind of thing should be provided out of town - people need vans to drive to them anyway.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

But as I said, its been that colour for about 10yrs now?
peterson wrote: 06 Sep 2018 10:15 you're not going mad.. the Shurgard building has been repainted a very bright red within the last year. It no longer looks like that photo.

Of all the buildings/plots actually worth turning into flats, this would be one of them! I mean really, what is long term storage adding to the town centre! This kind of thing should be provided out of town - people need vans to drive to them anyway.
:beg1: :clap3: thanks Peterson.... and I agree with your thinking - a waste of valuable space.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Depends on the lease that sureguard have on the building.
There is a large warehouse behind it, the owners will no doubt have their eye on the old Royal Mail site and make a move once the area becomes more residential. Possibly demolish the whole thing or build a second building as an "extension" if it made planning easier
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

peterson wrote: 06 Sep 2018 10:15 you're not going mad.. the Shurgard building has been repainted a very bright red within the last year. It no longer looks like that photo.

Ah didn't know that - its been the maroon colour for 12yrs, as that's when they bought / sorted that building and opened

And was still like it last September as we had stuff in there (sorted by the insurance company) but not been that way since

Edit to add - not everyone uses vans to get there, they have some small lockers at 10sqft and high value ones that are smaller, bit like safes - that's what we had stuff in
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 06 Sep 2018 13:15

Ah didn't know that - its been the maroon colour for 12yrs, as that's when they bought / sorted that building and opened

And was still like it last September as we had stuff in there (sorted by the insurance company) but not been that way since
Ah! so is that an apology? :beg1: - it wasn't last September I saw it, but 3 days ago.
Yola

Post by Yola »

I drive past that pretty well every day. I had never seen this building in anything other than maroon. Tomorrow I’ll pay attention!
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

piwacket wrote: 05 Sep 2018 12:39
They only painted it the bright red it is told several months ago.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Went down that way to visit the Range so got to have a look – it has been repainted but more a brick red colour since I last saw it, but don’t think it’s that bright,

Might be if the sun was on it

But did notice they have painted most of the lower section where the name etc is in a large white block so less ‘red’ than before
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Property developments in Reading”