Royal Mail Site - 1000 New Flats

OneGorman
Super Contributor

Royal Mail Site - 1000 New Flats

Post by OneGorman »

Royal Mail final closed down and 1000 (impressive) new flats going up soon. One block of 24 stories!

This will vastly improve this area, but same old same old regarding the increased traffic on centre roads that are gridlocked at peak times.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/prope ... e-13634733
Bob deBilda

Re: Royal Mail Site - 1000 New Flats

Post by Bob deBilda »

Of course, that will never happen. It is designed to outrage people so that when the real plans are submitted there will be a huge sigh of relief and they'll get away with something less bad.

I fail to see how massive cuboids of over-priced rabbit-hutches are in any way impressive.

Regards
Bob
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Please God help me NO!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Have to agree with that - some flats maybe but would be nice to have other things as well
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

I think given the overall size of the site there should be some scope for more imagination than the housing equivalent of a container ship, especially as being so close to the station anything there will command a premium
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

I note that the get reading story is from last September - and over 200 days on they haven't corrected the sub-heading "Plans for flats are retail are being worked on by developers"...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Wish they would use the site for more town-centre uses, rather than just a majority of residential. Then again, I do understand that developers are in it for the investment. I doubt a swimming complex with flumes and diving facilities are going to make nearly as much as hundreds of apartments would.
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

Bob is right. They're already down to 800 flats, and reducing heights, although 24 storeys still proposed at eastern end.
But I agree with one hinton, I'm all for an interesting and dramatic skyline. But the design is so key. The old western tower was tall - maybe it looked good in its heyday but it didn't age well. I'm ok with a bit of status and prestige of "city-like" buildings. But of course it's more important to have new places that work well, viable, thriving ground floor activity - ideally new leisure facilities for us all to enjoy, and if it is to be residential-led then functioning new communities that contribute positively to the town. Maybe they can do both...
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

peterson wrote: 12 Apr 2018 21:29 Bob is right. They're already down to 800 flats, and reducing heights, although 24 storeys still proposed at eastern end.
But I agree with one hinton, I'm all for an interesting and dramatic skyline. But the design is so key. The old western tower was tall - maybe it looked good in its heyday but it didn't age well. I'm ok with a bit of status and prestige of "city-like" buildings. But of course it's more important to have new places that work well, viable, thriving ground floor activity - ideally new leisure facilities for us all to enjoy, and if it is to be residential-led then functioning new communities that contribute positively to the town. Maybe they can do both...
Absolutely :goodposting:
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

My first thought is how much green space has been engineered around and as part of this this development and what percentage of green space within central Reading as a whole is there, compared with London ?
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

I’m beginning to worry that Reading is going to end up resembling a modern version of a soviet city from the 60s. Whilst the office blocks are typically attractive, I don’t think some of the flats will stand the test of time. And I agree, there’s to little thought about providing enough green landscaping and leisure infrastructure around the buildings. The problem is a few trees and shrubs are cheap and don’t take up much space, but providing even a very small park won’t make any money for the developers, and presumably can’t be imposed on them by council planners.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

These flats are a 5 minute walk to the Thames and a pedestrian bridge that takes them over to a park and huge playing fields with tennis courts. A ten minute walk to the West is Rivermean and Richfield Avenue which has a Park again on the river and another smaller park just past the Cow Lane bridges. They’re not short of large and small parks. (not to mention Kings Meadow 10 mins away as well)
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Bearing in mind that green spaces need light and one hopes the shadows cast by huge blocks are also taken into account but I doubt.

Never understand how they handle the immense amount of sewerage and grey water on such an intensive footprint.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Same old thing, if you build ( or allow to be built ) this amount of flats, once any of them is two bed, you have to think of schools.....where is the capacity for more pupils or even space for a new one ?
Same old story...
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Would you really buy one of these if you had a young family though?
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

lizwing wrote: 14 Apr 2018 13:40 Would you really buy one of these if you had a young family though?
Possibly not, but I bet there are plenty of couples who buy one and then end up with a family...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Living in flats with a family seems far more common 'sur Le continent' and given Readings cosmopolitan nature I wouldn't rule it out....wouldn't be my ideal but if you have to cut your cloth, who knows ?
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

fornthe cost of one of those flats you could probably buy a house slightly further out if you were starting a family.
BY Paulo Coelho
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

But there was a report on the BBC the other day about how people now move less often in their lives, if we are moving less then housing needs to be more flexible
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

I am really confused about this. My daughter and son in law are estate agents in Reading and they inform me that there is a surfeit of two bedroom flats in Reading for either sale or rent. So how by. Building 1000 more Who is going to rent or buy them? Unless they are taken up by the Council to put people on the housing List to occupy them. ? So why does the council not do this now? If the answer is lack of money (or as they put it lack of funding), what will change when the flats are built? Any ideas, or what do I not understand?
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

PC49 wrote: 14 Apr 2018 20:14 I am really confused about this. My daughter and son in law are estate agents in Reading and they inform me that there is a surfeit of two bedroom flats in Reading for either sale or rent. So how by. Building 1000 more Who is going to rent or buy them? Unless they are taken up by the Council to put people on the housing List to occupy them. ? So why does the council not do this now? If the answer is lack of money (or as they put it lack of funding), what will change when the flats are built? Any ideas, or what do I not understand?
I suspect that by the time all the planning shennaigans, then the demolition then the building has taken place, these flats won't be built and available until the end of 2019, by which time Crossrail will be prety much in operation, and presumably there will be a steady stream of people looking to move into Reading to commute on the Elizabeth line.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Therefore probably not families. I hope they’re providing parking space.
BY Paulo Coelho
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

There's an EIA scoping report planning application on the council website (application number 180146).

According to page 3 of the EIA report, section 2.4, it specifies 150 parking spaces, although I can't yet find the exact number of apartment units in the development.

In the Draft transport assessment, further down the same document, it seems to say that not all of these 150 spaces will be for residential use, either (it says 138).
lizwing wrote: 15 Apr 2018 00:02 Therefore probably not families. I hope they’re providing parking space.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

ash wrote: 15 Apr 2018 00:45 There's an EIA scoping report planning application on the council website (application number 180146).

According to page 3 of the EIA report, section 2.4, it specifies 150 parking spaces, although I can't yet find the exact number of apartment units in the development.

In the Draft transport assessment, further down the same document, it seems to say that not all of these 150 spaces will be for residential use, either (it says 138).
lizwing wrote: 15 Apr 2018 00:02 Therefore probably not families. I hope they’re providing parking space.
1000, maybe 800 apartments and 138 (possible) parking spaces :? Hmmm!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Lol Liz, even commuters procreate 🙂 They have baby commuters with longer arms for strap hanging 😉
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Surely once you start a family you need somewhere bigger so you’d be aiming for a small house, eventually.
BY Paulo Coelho
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 15 Apr 2018 09:46
ash wrote: 15 Apr 2018 00:45 There's an EIA scoping report planning application on the council website (application number 180146).

1000, maybe 800 apartments and 138 (possible) parking spaces :? Hmmm!
I don't see that much of a problem with that - given the flats are right next door to the station, they're clearly aimed at people intending to commute to London.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

lizwing wrote: 15 Apr 2018 11:48 Surely once you start a family you need somewhere bigger so you’d be aiming for a small house, eventually.

I would personally, but lots of people don't seem to worry so much now and many just won't be able to afford the step up financially....whichever way you cut it, my feeling is that once you build two bed flats you have to be prepared for school admissions to increase in that area.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’m thinking what nightmare it would be bringing up school age children in a tiny flat with no garden
BY Paulo Coelho
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

lizwing wrote: 15 Apr 2018 12:25 I’m thinking what nightmare it would be bringing up school age children in a tiny flat with no garden
:?
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Plenty of people who have kids live in flats and have no garden.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Well maybe but I don’t envy them and I wouldn’t do it from choice. How. Ugh are these flats going to sell for, do we know?
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 15 Apr 2018 13:39 Well maybe but I don’t envy them and I wouldn’t do it from choice. How. Ugh are these flats going to sell for, do we know?
Is that a Freudian slip Liz :))
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Very probably Pi 😄
BY Paulo Coelho
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

lizwing wrote: 15 Apr 2018 13:39 Well maybe but I don’t envy them and I wouldn’t do it from choice.
You and I have obviously very different perspectives on life and probably very different experiences :-|

Return to “Property developments in Reading”