Royal Mail Site - 1000 New Flats

Mayfield

Re: Royal Mail Site - 1000 New Flats

Post by Mayfield »

Maggie, do you remember a Dr Burghfield at the RBH by any chance ?
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Sorry ,no Mayfield. Quite likely after my time.Was he a paediatrician ? I knew Moira Cashman ( Tarnoky ) and actually caught up with her only a few years ago. I worked at the RBH Path lab, 1949-1959, but kept in touch with various staff members for some years after that.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Radiologist I think, used to live in Stoke Row and was grandfather to some children I was nanny too...he was retirement age in the 70’s IIRC
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Did he live on the Royal Mail site?. I've lived in Reading just about long enough to remember the signal works that were there before the sorting office was built, but I don't remember any residential properties there.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

chris_j_wood wrote: 12 Sep 2018 11:40 Did he live on the Royal Mail site?. I've lived in Reading just about long enough to remember the signal works that were there before the sorting office was built, but I don't remember any residential properties there.
Sorry, Chris, I think I instigated the hospital idea, which seems to have crossed over to a medical memories theme. My memories of the whole area are limited, which I think means it was probably very unremarkable. No memories of anything medical. I do remember the entrance opposite the fire station, going up to the parcels drop off. You could get off the bus there without going all the way round to the front. I also used to park there on some land next to it.

That whole area bounded by Caversham Rd, Vastern Rd and Trooper Potts way aught to be considered as a whole, but it won’t be, because I can’t see the ugly small retail units and car park being redeveloped at the same time. That’s why it’s good that RBC are trying to influence how the area round Hexagon and Mall are developed.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I don't remember anything on that site apart from British rail who by that time had changed a goods yard to a repair or storage facility? I used to often walk along caversham road mid 70's but have no recollections and can't envisage the old site unless looking at old photos. I did go to the old parcel depot (doubt that's included in the Royal Mail site anyway) and the sorting office in the 80's or 90's?
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Sep 2018 20:06Of course people worry about the infrastructure supporting the population of any large town. Unless you don’t have kids or plan not to need a dentist, doctor or ever be sick in hospital, it should concern you too.
Interesting article on the BBC News website today, which in some way makes an implicit case for city-centre flats, by slating some of the alternatives - "It must be miserable: you’ve saved for a newly-built home past the town’s ring-road, but now you're trapped too often in a metal box with wheels. You spend hours in traffic ferrying yourself and your children around because your estate has no shops; no pub; no doctor; no school; no jobs... It's come about because planners allowed edge-of-town housing estates where car travel is the only option... Researchers ... found that the scramble to build new homes is producing houses next to bypasses and link roads which are too far out of town to walk or cycle, and which lack good local buses."

Obviously Reading is rather better off for local buses than many, but the underlying point remains. Interesting to also note that "A government spokesperson said its revised planning rulebook tells developers to create high quality areas which promote walking, cycling and use of public transport. They added: "The rules also make sure that councils put plans in place for the infrastructure needed to support new developments.""
(my use of bold)
From following the link in the story, I note that the revised planning rulebook was published in July 2018 - hopefully RBC's planning committee will all have made time to read it whilst they were lazing on the beach etc on their various summer hols... ;-)
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Massively worrying for Reading with all these matchbox flats being built.....
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Melchett wrote: 24 Oct 2018 15:07 Massively worrying for Reading with all these matchbox flats being built.....
I presume when you say matchbox you mean small in size?

Well sorry to be a bubble buster but many of the ones being built now, or converted from offices are quite large – and very well appointed

The one we had for our ‘enforced’ stay at Chatham Tower was small to medium 1 bed / 1 large living / dining / kitchen area - just about right for 2 young professionals maybe’ but not enough for an older couple with a lot of stuff like ourselves
but I did find out there where large 2 and 3 bed apartments in the same building
And quite w a few families with kids!

When we got the choice to move out for the longer term stay we were shown quite a few flats as well as apartments and houses – most 2 or 3 bedrooms, but all within the town confines (which we didn’t want

And they all had parking!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

dave m wrote: 13 Sep 2018 10:25 I don't remember anything on that site apart from British rail who by that time had changed a goods yard to a repair or storage facility? I used to often walk along caversham road mid 70's but have no recollections and can't envisage the old site unless looking at old photos. I did go to the old parcel depot (doubt that's included in the Royal Mail site anyway) and the sorting office in the 80's or 90's?
I've not researched this thoroughly but I vaguely recall reading that the GWR clock repair facility was on the site and possibly something to do with signals. I wonder if they will find any radioactive substances which were used in dials at one time when they start the surveys.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 24 Oct 2018 14:07
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Sep 2018 20:06Of course people worry about the infrastructure supporting the population of any large town. Unless you don’t have kids or plan not to need a dentist, doctor or ever be sick in hospital, it should concern you too.
Interesting article on the BBC News website today, which in some way makes an implicit case for city-centre flats, by
From following the link in the story, I note that the revised planning rulebook was published in July 2018 - hopefully RBC's planning committee will all have made time to read it whilst they were lazing on the beach etc on their various summer hols... ;-)
I’ve thought the same about many of the building developments I pass on the way to see the Osteo, half way to Arborfield - by car! - Gawd knows what they journey would be like by bus!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Interesting to note that where I live, not one but two estates were built with (variously, but mostly on both) doctors surgery, pharmacist, library, pub, take always early years clinic, two schools and a special school, shops, post office, supermarket.

Of those, one surgery, two pubs, one restaurant/takeaway one set of shops and the supermarket are gone and have been built over and the amenities not replaced. Some new builds were flats, some houses. After the new builds came on Stewart, two supermarkets arrived, but sadly, gone are the days when ‘estates’ are considered as one concept with all the amenities needed to support a thriving community. If you don’t do that, you end up with dormitory towns and/or vertical crash pads.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

OLDMAN wrote: 24 Oct 2018 16:03
Melchett wrote: 24 Oct 2018 15:07 Massively worrying for Reading with all these matchbox flats being built.....

Well sorry to be a bubble buster but many of the ones being built now, or converted from offices are quite large – and very well appointed

The one we had for our ‘enforced’ stay at Chatham Tower was small to medium 1 bed / 1 large living / dining / kitchen area - just about right for 2 young professionals maybe’ but not enough for an older couple with a lot of stuff like ourselves
but I did find out there where large 2 and 3 bed apartments in the same building

When we got the choice to move out for the longer term stay we were shown quite a few flats as well as apartments and houses – most 2 or 3 bedrooms, but all within the town confines (which we didn’t want

Again. Massively worrying with all these places being built. Infrastructure isn't adequate enough as it is.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Melchett wrote: 25 Oct 2018 08:43
OLDMAN wrote: 24 Oct 2018 16:03

Again. Massively worrying with all these places being built. Infrastructure isn't adequate enough as it is.
Yes I agree about the infrastructure etc not being adequate or planned to be added
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

C.A.Versham wrote: 24 Oct 2018 16:07
dave m wrote: 13 Sep 2018 10:25 I don't remember anything on that site apart from British rail who by that time had changed a goods yard to a repair or storage facility? I used to often walk along caversham road mid 70's but have no recollections and can't envisage the old site unless looking at old photos. I did go to the old parcel depot (doubt that's included in the Royal Mail site anyway) and the sorting office in the 80's or 90's?
I've not researched this thoroughly but I vaguely recall reading that the GWR clock repair facility was on the site and possibly something to do with signals. I wonder if they will find any radioactive substances which were used in dials at one time when they start the surveys.
It was the Great Western Railway Signal Works, later renamed the Signal and Telegraph Works. I think it was there from the early days of the railway right through to the 1980s. A large establishment responsible for all signalling and telegraphic work throughout the whole GWR network. I would guess that clock repair may well have been part of their responsibilities, albeit a relatively small part.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/lifestyle/ ... ks-6693935
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Thanks for the clarification. What a hive of industry and skilled craftsmanship that site must have been at one time.
Dai Brainbocs
Super Contributor

Post by Dai Brainbocs »

Back to the development plan. I've had a leaflet through the door trailing a planning application which will be submitted "shortly", the permission granted in 2012 having lapsed. "Vibrant space", retail, offices, homes etc etc.

There's supposedly a website www.readingmet.co.uk but so far least it doesn't exist and there will be a drop-in "day" between 1500 and 1930 on Tuesday 20 Nov at the New Hope Centre, York Road (back of Caversham Road).
johnH
Site Admin

Post by johnH »

2B97CE91-6175-4958-ACCC-5D123B7EDEEE.jpeg
F710ACCE-2A63-4788-9363-A94661C47670.jpeg
Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

One to three bed flats ? Interesting ...
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Thanks for those John, I'm not able to visit the planning exhibition but am very interested as to what they propose on this site.

I like the look of the tallest building on those concept images. Perfect place for such a building scale in the town centre.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

New plans gone in and they look decent tbf.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/prope ... d-16120207

Buildings of between 2 and 25 stories, and 650 more new homes for the Town Centre...

Love the 25 story building mind.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Can't see anything decent about it, it looks like any other rather utilitatean development of flats, in fact to me it looks if not ugly, certainly plain....
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

And a bit of a wind tunnel, to my untrained eye?
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

BUT - imagine how much light that will allow into Friar St...………….. :whistle1:
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

OLDMAN wrote: 16 Apr 2019 07:49 BUT - imagine how much light that will allow into Friar St...………….. :whistle1:
It all looks lovely and bright in the sunshine, but on the shady south side and when it’s cloudy it will be quite different. Still it’s better than what’s there now and if Reading planners hold their nerve, it might not be too bad. It’s what it’ll look like in 10 to 20 years that’s important, and will it still be occupied by the beautiful and happy people that are wandering in the pictures.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

MickEdge wrote: 16 Apr 2019 08:46
OLDMAN wrote: 16 Apr 2019 07:49 BUT - imagine how much light that will allow into Friar St...………….. :whistle1:
It all looks lovely and bright in the sunshine, but on the shady south side and when it’s cloudy it will be quite different. Still it’s better than what’s there now and if Reading planners hold their nerve, it might not be too bad. It’s what it’ll look like in 10 to 20 years that’s important, and will it still be occupied by the beautiful and happy people that are wandering in the pictures.
Sorry Mick I was actually being factious / taking the ****

Back in 2015 a guy called Matt Pearce started complaining that this build would cut out the light from his building which was directly opposite the Friars Walk entrance
Its where Lola Lo is now, I think back then it was a Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local ... ng-9194527
Many people commented at the time (in the news and on social media) that that it was being shown as an open development (as in those images) so would let ‘MORE’ light through, bot block it
So, he sort of became a laughing stock for many

RBC ignored / stubbed him with some legal method and he scuttled back under his stone…….and didn’t get any compo’ which everyone reckoned that’s all he was after!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

If this is on the Royal Mail site that is North of the railway line - the only places that it will block light to will be the terrace houses to the North of that so DeMontford & Lynmouth.

But please please please whatever we do with the actual high rises can they do something with the ground level other than bare concrete (even pretty concrete) in the winter it always feels cold (and with the wind tunnel effect likely will be cold as well). Plus if these are still going to be 1,2&3 bed flats where are the children going to go to school - hasn't EP Collier already been expanded as much as possible and we know the issues with primary places over the river in Caversham (I am guessing the new secondary being talked about for near Rivermead can take the older ones)
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

oops my bad - it does look like the Friars Walk development though?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

The owners of the Reading Station Shopping Park site (owned by Aviva, directly to the north) have continued to object against the current proposals on the Royal Mail site (Hermes). This is on the grounds of overshadowing onto their site.

They suggest that the height of the tallest tower on the Hermes site needs to be significantly reduced, to allow more sunlight to penetrate into their site. They also suggest that on the Hermes site, more floors should be added to the other blocks nearest to the railway (presumably to compensate for the loss of floorspace of a shortened tower). I think this alternative proposal would make the development look like a massively wide and uniform 'block' from most angles around town.

While I appreciate that all developers will stand up for the interests of their own assets, both these sites are located within the Reading Tall Building Strategy area, and thus you should expect tall buildings to be built. Unfortunately, this will entail some degree of overshadowing onto adjacent sites.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Why would anyone really care about some flats overshadowing some one story retail units? (Or is the mentioned shopping park not the TGI, Matalan etc bit?

FWIW TGI are already planning for their departure, and the other outlets are aware their leases won’t be renewed, so if this is the same park then it’ll probably all boil down to money...
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

That and the fact that if the retail park becomes overshadowed, the development for residential becomes less attractive.?
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

ash wrote: 27 Feb 2020 21:03 The owners of the Reading Station Shopping Park site (owned by Aviva, directly to the north) have continued to object against the current proposals on the Royal Mail site (Hermes). This is on the grounds of overshadowing onto their site.
Bearing in mind the glacial pace at which the Aviva project will likely proceed I would suggest there isn't any real problem given the sun will likely have burnt out by then.

My heart truly bleeds for 'em. It's the penalty of owning the wrong bit of land, I suppose.
'Let's Go Brandon'
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

And in a classic 'dog bites man' story, nearby residents are still not happy.

https://ukpropertyforums.com/changes-to ... an-scheme/
'Let's Go Brandon'
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Seems odd to increase office space when the direction of travel seems in the other direction. Perhaps it's for offices relocating from London.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

C.A.Versham wrote: 22 Jul 2020 13:35 Seems odd to increase office space when the direction of travel seems in the other direction. Perhaps it's for offices relocating from London.
"Oh dear, these extra offices aren't doing very well! What on earth could we possibly do?"

Return to “Property developments in Reading”