BBC South Today - I've had it with them

chat about the town here ...
OLDMAN

Re: BBC South Today - I've had it with them

Post by OLDMAN »

Ah – thanks for that, although it does confirm what I was told

It’s all about Heroin related deaths (through misuse) rather than high drug usage / availability

We got told at a local meeting by TVP that Reading in general has low drug related crime / usage but perversely a high drug related death rate!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

OLDMAN wrote: 05 Apr 2018 13:21 Ah – thanks for that, although it does confirm what I was told

It’s all about Heroin related deaths (through misuse) rather than high drug usage / availability

We got told at a local meeting by TVP that Reading in general has low drug related crime / usage but perversely a high drug related death rate!
Don't believe that. They just turn a blind eye to most of it. I see drug dealing most days and that's just a microcosm of Reading. I've also found syringes on the bus and in the street (several times).
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

I believe it. With the amount of beggars around getting money off people, there seems little need to commit a crime. If they did, both the perps and the victims could just as easily be users. The high related drug death could be attributable to dodgy gear and misjudging the dosage.

Heroin is such a variable quality and corresponding strength, plus you don’t really know how much your shooting up, it’s a gamble every time they stick a needle in their arm.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Reading is lower on drug usage / related issues than many other towns / cities of similar size

Yes we all see stuff going on, but that the problem - however other places are worse

As for police turning a blind eye - yes your correct....to a point -as they know it doesn't make a difference taking out the lower level scum
They will arrest them where possible but that not always the case as need good evidence to make it stick

Its part of the argument whereby if YOU SEE IT REPORT IT (as said you see stuff but do you report it - I do) - that way they can build up a bigger picture of what is a happening and thus a case to sort it

Its what happen a few years back with Mandela Court, which was a well known area for drug dealing etc.
The police set up a raid and when it happened they took out quite a few high end / top level people - and not just in Reading as evidence gathered led to arrests in other places etc.

The case against it all took a couple of years of gathering info /planning - but was worth it in the end

They do admit its o the rise again, but tat a nationwide problem, not just here

And lack of police doesn't help (and that's with all crime now) - so blame the government
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Plenty of stuff about Reading on South Today last night!
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

Today was a great example of how the boundaries of South Today's coverage is pathetic. Because of the wedding they are chatting about homeless in Windsor and Berkshire, but why not other times of the year?
The BBC need to revamp regional news and have a Thames Valley show for us.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

A thamesvalley show would be far better. I'm sick of hearing about Farmers in fecking Dorset
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

As cavershamguy said, ITV Meridian covers this area much more often. They do repeat national news that are local too much. I thought they’d never stop the Salisbury poisoning stories, and of course it’s end to end wedding at the moment. Local news is never going to get it right, because the areas are just too big. Large turnips in Dorset are always going to crop up.
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

It's not just south today that don't cover our region in detail, when Sunday Politics breaks into their regional coverage it rarely captures the key issues in thames valley
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

OLDMAN wrote: 06 Apr 2018 07:47 Reading is lower on drug usage / related issues than many other towns / cities of similar size

Yes we all see stuff going on, but that the problem - however other places are worse

As for police turning a blind eye - yes your correct....to a point -as they know it doesn't make a difference taking out the lower level scum
They will arrest them where possible but that not always the case as need good evidence to make it stick

Its part of the argument whereby if YOU SEE IT REPORT IT (as said you see stuff but do you report it - I do) - that way they can build up a bigger picture of what is a happening and thus a case to sort it

Its what happen a few years back with Mandela Court, which was a well known area for drug dealing etc.
The police set up a raid and when it happened they took out quite a few high end / top level people - and not just in Reading as evidence gathered led to arrests in other places etc.

The case against it all took a couple of years of gathering info /planning - but was worth it in the end

They do admit its o the rise again, but tat a nationwide problem, not just here

And lack of police doesn't help (and that's with all crime now) - so blame the government
Excellent post
pault_99
Contributor

Post by pault_99 »

We have got Virginmedia., but ITV only shows Meridian East for the news. So you get all Kent news.

TV in the bedroom has freeview, and thankfully that has the correct Meridian Berkshire region. With dear old Fred sitting with Henley bridge behind him !.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

pault_99 wrote: 25 Jun 2018 07:24 We have got Virginmedia., but ITV only shows Meridian East for the news. So you get all Kent news.

TV in the bedroom has freeview, and thankfully that has the correct Meridian Berkshire region. With dear old Fred sitting with Henley bridge behind him !.
I'm still waiting for those coaches to get off the bridge in the background - been there for years now!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

pault_99 wrote: 25 Jun 2018 07:24 We have got Virginmedia., but ITV only shows Meridian East for the news. So you get all Kent news.

On Sky if you put it on ITV HD ( channel 176) you get Meridian East news but if you put it on the non HD ITV (channel 103) you get Meridian that covers our region in Reading.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

I've never watched it, but on Freeview there is a new channel 7 called That's Thames Valley. It has some local news on its web site

http://www.thats.tv/thamesvalley/

so presumably has news bulletins. Has anyone watched that?
pault_99
Contributor

Post by pault_99 »

spectrum64 wrote: 25 Jun 2018 11:32 I've never watched it, but on Freeview there is a new channel 7 called That's Thames Valley. It has some local news on its web site

http://www.thats.tv/thamesvalley/

so presumably has news bulletins. Has anyone watched that?
Ahh yes, the news channel where they all talk as if they have a cattle prod stuck in their back.
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

South Today has lost the plot.
Why are they covering the gatwick drone situation?! They never talk about that region.
Plus are they having a love-in with Salisbury?! There's other parts of the region that have enjoyable festive choirs and markets.

I feel sorry for southampton and isle of wright this week as they haven't had a mention (although they are cover the other 50 weeks of the year lol)

It's about time we have our own Thames Valley cover program.
(Soz for the rant)
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

GaryyHill wrote: 21 Dec 2018 18:37 South Today has lost the plot.
Why are they covering the gatwick drone situation?! They never talk about that region.
Plus are they having a love-in with Salisbury?! There's other parts of the region that have enjoyable festive choirs and markets.

I feel sorry for southampton and isle of wright this week as they haven't had a mention (although they are cover the other 50 weeks of the year lol)

It's about time we have our own Thames Valley cover program.
(Soz for the rant)
Have you tried ITV Meridian, they cover the Reading area much more than the BBC, but they did go on a lot about Salisbury.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

BBC South is far too wide an area - we go to the Cotswolds a couple of times a year, and that’s what’s shown there too!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

It's at times like this when we deserve a regional news channel for Thames Valley region. We want to know about COVID-19 and other issues that means something to us. I'm fed up of always hearing about the Isle of Wight or Portsmouth.
Cardiac
Super Contributor

Post by Cardiac »

Isn't there something called that's tv which covers Reading button 7 on freeview.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

I agree with the above comments. For me Local news should be about local issues impacting local people. There is all to often National or international news and how that has impacted on what people think about it in Southampton or similar.

I don't want to watch 20 minutes about a subject on the National news and then 10 minutes on it on the local news, regurgitating the same stuff with 30 seconds on its impact locally!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I was interested in the Southampton Airport saga but have little interest in Cruise ships etc although I recognise they are important to the area...
They did a bit on MPF again this week that was interesting , but often it’s the coast that gets the lions share of the coverage...frustrating.
Stewart
Super Contributor

Post by Stewart »

I think South Today suffers from the same problem as the Reading Chronicle, BBC Berkshire and many other local news media (current situation excepted) and that is a lack of any meaningful news. Apart from crime stories (usually court or police reports) let's face it in any particular local region (large city conurbations excepted) there is no real need for a daily news show. Local gripes about building planning issues grumble on, the third Reading bridge pops up from time to time when the council gets another few hundred thousand to talk about it, Reading Rock and other festival news etc..

I watch South Today, okay they do have not too many local to us reports, it may be best to go back to the 1970/80's when there was just a five minute slot each day for local news
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

I agree with you that the news bulletins are far too long. I find the headlines on Radio 3 are fine for the national picture. There is also quite an industry of journalists and commentators manufacturing news so they have a job. "Let's trip up a minister / government spokesperson so we have a Gotcha moment to lead the six o'clock news". Hopefully most people spot what's going on.

On a totally different point just how many outfits does Mrs Sturgeon have? I'm not sure I've seen her in the same striking look at me outfit twice.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

We get very little 'local' news on East Midlands Today as it tends to focus on Derby, Nottingham (where the studio is based) and Leicester and ignores the Dales area. Where we live is the administration centre for Derbyshire but we only get coverage about political items that happen at County Hall (aka The Kremlin) or when the town flooded last year and Boris came to help clear up. Wirksworth across the valley gets it's news from the West Midlands Birmingham studio so is again left out, as is Ashbourne. Chesterfield, about ten miles eastwards from us, gets Look North from either Lincoln or York/Leeds so again misses out!

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

eddieed wrote: 24 Apr 2020 09:16 I agree with the above comments. For me Local news should be about local issues impacting local people. There is all to often National or international news and how that has impacted on what people think about it in Southampton or similar.

I don't want to watch 20 minutes about a subject on the National news and then 10 minutes on it on the local news, regurgitating the same stuff with 30 seconds on its impact locally!
Agree wholeheartedly! It’s too vast an area! We usually watch it just for the local weather - but that’s quite often at odds with what the weather reporter then says on the National News forecasts :?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

>>>On a totally different point just how many outfits does Mrs Sturgeon have? I'm not sure I've seen her in the same striking look at me outfit twice.<<<

I'm not her greatest fan but at least she speaks with confidence and clarity and deals with questions well.....and doesn't treat the Scottish people like idiots....
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 24 Apr 2020 14:21 >>>On a totally different point just how many outfits does Mrs Sturgeon have? I'm not sure I've seen her in the same striking look at me outfit twice.<<<

I'm not her greatest fan but at least she speaks with confidence and clarity and deals with questions well.....and doesn't treat the Scottish people like idiots....
I’m not a fan either! But do admire her wardrobe turnout. She does always look smart - as did Mrs T.... and I think that that goes a long way in gaining respect - yes old fashioned I know - but preferable to the way some of the English MPs come over... I don’t want to see either BJ or Gove in their sweaty garb after a run or cycle ride.:(

However every time I see Nicola Sturgeon I can’t help but think of Terry Wogan’s morning summary of Dallas - and the character he called “the poisoned dwarf” :)) she is so neat and precise in both presentation and speech, I just want to shake her! ( I always felt the same about Jane Torvill in her heyday!
MrsKaur
Contributor

Post by MrsKaur »

I agree with many others, they are obsessed with the coast line and don't talk enough about Swindon, Reading and Oxford. With job cuts and cuts to regional news investment this will get worse.

I do miss the regional news in the morning. It was also nice to see what the weather will be like (as they often get it wrong the night before) and also local travel news will be very important now schools have re-opened,
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Something I’ve noticed recently is both ‘Southern’ news programmes seem to have changed the areas covered
Meridian now seem to cover a larger area and now include news report from the South East with places like Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells getting mentioned but the weather map covers from Dorchester to Brighton along the coast and a sort of triangle up to Banbury

BBC South sort of goes the other way in reports as they cover more to the South West, but again the weather maps are about the same area as Meridian, but they then mention the sea between Lyme Regis to Selsey Bill

An as someone once mentioned Weymouth seems to get missed out, it really gets mentioned on BBC South nor on BBC South West as in between the two, and yet they mention Lyme Regis which is past it?

It was very noticeable a couple of years ago when a diver sadly died and was brought back into Weymouth, we saw all this (on holiday down there) and tried to get updates on the news but it never got mentioned on BBC South West which is all we could get on TV
It also never got mentioned on Meridian, nor BBC South as we phoned friends to see it they had seen it!
Only news on it was via local radio
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Slightly off topic but I noticed the other day that the news on Radio 2 was starting to become very generic and the presenters were not talking to the news readers. I decided that they must now be using a simultaneous news for a lot of the radio stations. I remember one day they cut a song in half as someone had got the timing wrong. I also noticed that whilst Jermey Vine used to say hello and then introduce the news at 12 he doesn't anymore and the news is first followed by his programme.

I then confirmed this the other day whilst in the car and I flicked the stations and Radio 2 and Radio 5 Live had the same news broadcast. I suspect this is cost cutting and we will see more of this in the future. When we were in the North East 2 weeks ago their program now covers the breadth of the country whereas they used to have local news in Cumbria separate to the North East
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

This happened with some of the commercial stations
I remember when 210 started and always listened to it as good for local news / traffic and the music / presenting was pretty good – I even became a traffic reporter phoning stuff in at one time
The it slowly evolved and amalgamated with Heart which at first was okay but I started wondering how they could have Emma Bunton and Jason Donovan doing the Saturday broadcast as I doubted they had come to Reading – turns out it was centrally broadcast from London so local stations where just repeaters
That wasn’t too bad but the local reports quickly dropped off, to a point that one time all we got was stuff from Oxfordshire
I tried Berkshire Radio for local stuff, but it wasn’t so good – listened to Capitol for the music side of it but that went downhill!
By then Jack FM had started (broadcast from Madejski stadium) so used them as good presenters and music and great local traffic / news but it then went digital, so I carried on with the replacement Breeze FM
That’s now changed again as also gone digital so is now Greatest Hits Radio which I have to say has been good so far as they play stuff from 60’s / 70’s / 80’ and 90’s
And in all that since Jack the traffic and news has been good local stuff

I did try Heart once again as they changed back to more local broadcasting, but found the traffic etc wasn’t local enough (still mostly Oxford / Swindon areas) so won’t bother again
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Should have added if we travel anywhere I put the radio on seek and try to find local stations as better for traffic etc in the areas we are visiting
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Reading talk”