Would Reading bid for City status in 2022?

chat about the town here ...
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Re: Would Reading bid for City status in 2022?

Post by C.A.Versham »

In case you missed it this is what Jack Dee had to say about Reading on ISIHAC.

"We’re coming to you live from Reading, known around the world as ‘the Gateway to Slough’.

Reading FC are today known as the Royals, but for many years the club was known as the ‘Biscuit Men’. The name derived both from the town’s close links to the biscuit industry and also Reading FC’s habit of crumbling every time they get anywhere near a Cup.

Reading is the largest town without city status in the UK, last applying in 1999- after careful consideration the government decided to grant city status to the west country town of Holby.

Reading is famous for the Three B’s, beer bulbs and biscuits. Coincidentally Reading University is famous for the three E’s- get them at A Level and you’re in.

Reading was home to the first ever Little Chef restaurant, opening on the Oxford Road in 1958. To celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2008 hundreds of hungry foodies pilgrimaged to France.

The Royal Berks is the busiest hospital in the county, only last week dozens of patients were treated for severe shock after a Great Western service to London Paddington was reported to be on time.

Reading Standard Tandoori restaurant has attracted celebrities from all over the world, including the current Dalai Lama. Unfortunately, his last visit ended in embarrassment when the bill came, and his holiness discovered he had left his wallet in a past life.

Jane Austen was educated at Reading’s Abbey School for Girls. Austen was popular among her classmates because she hadn’t written Northanger Abbey yet.”
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

What's ISIHAC?.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

I'm sorry I haven't a clue.

A radio 4 comedic panel show.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Sorry just saw the funny side of this –

What's ISIHAC?
What's ISIHAC?
I know but why keep telling me as I want to know what's ISIHAC?
I'M SORRY I HAVEN'T A CLUE.
No need to shout I only asked what's ISIHAC
I'M SORRY I HAVEN'T A CLUE.
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

What's the name of that film starring Michael Cera and Ellen Page where he get's her pregnant?
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

No success for Reading this time around then.

Congratulations to Douglas (IoM) and the others, most of which seem to have a much smaller population than Reading and no grave of a former King.

The order for the new road signs will have to be cancelled I suppose. I wonder how much the bid cost to put together.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Milton Keynes... Says it all.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Milton Keynes - slightly less boring than Basingstoke, as I once told a market researcher seeking views about the place.
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

Not very surprising, I think someone on the committee has a grudge against Reading.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

C.A.Versham wrote: 20 May 2022 08:04 No success for Reading this time around then.

Congratulations to Douglas (IoM) and the others, most of which seem to have a much smaller population than Reading and no grave of a former King.

The order for the new road signs will have to be cancelled I suppose. I wonder how much the bid cost to put together.
Not sure if there’s a ‘fee’ for the bid, but I read that it was just copies of a document that had to be presented
It was designed ‘in house’ at the council and printed for free by a local printer and cost about £250 all in, plus staff time

As for the signs it just reminded me of when we first tried back in 2000 and RBC went and got new signs put up replacing the word Town with City - then we lost it
They then had to take the signs down again, funniest bit was all the old ones had gone for scrap so all new ones had to be made / fitted
They never did that one again!

I’m guessing there will be a few disgruntled councillors and business people moaning about not getting it and why we failed!
And reckon they will be about the only ones...........................
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

OLDMAN wrote: 20 May 2022 08:55 I’m guessing there will be a few disgruntled councillors and business people moaning about not getting it and why we failed!
If you read the comments section on news reports - it is full of residents who are thrilled by the news, it gives them a chance to give their town a kicking about how rubbish it is.

A strange attitude, I'm not sure why you'd stay somewhere you hate? Reminds me of that chap on here who spent all his posts complaining about the town.

It's not just a Reading thing though, I checked Bournemouth, Northampton and Guildford local press and it has similar comments from locals giving their hometowns a slagging off. I find it a rather peculiar attitude.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

The bid document didn't even mention the libraries, it did mention "Holland" for some strange reason though :shrug1:
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

bert wrote: 20 May 2022 09:55
OLDMAN wrote: 20 May 2022 08:55 I’m guessing there will be a few disgruntled councillors and business people moaning about not getting it and why we failed!
If you read the comments section on news reports - it is full of residents who are thrilled by the news, it gives them a chance to give their town a kicking about how rubbish it is.

A strange attitude, I'm not sure why you'd stay somewhere you hate? Reminds me of that chap on here who spent all his posts complaining about the town.

It's not just a Reading thing though, I checked Bournemouth, Northampton and Guildford local press and it has similar comments from locals giving their hometowns a slagging off. I find it a rather peculiar attitude.
I think it's because those who live in the towns can see how they are changing from the place they knew years ago and don't like the changes? Where we live any new housing or other buildings are met with distain by long term residents who remember when it was 'a pleasent market town' back in the fifties and sixties and now planners are expanding it and they feel that they have now lost the place they grew up in.

Goimg back to Cav's comment about" a former king" being buried in Reading: I thought that he had been removed many years ago? :?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

As far as I know the body of King Henry I is still under the Abbey somewhere. A warning to us all not to eat too many lampreys.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Douglas (IOM) does not boast a possible buried King but does boast the confirmed burial site of Sir William Hillary, founder of the R.N.L.I. This was a factor that helped swing it for Douglas, which only has a population of 28,000 and no cathedral.
Last edited by Bam on 20 May 2022 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

C.A.Versham wrote: 20 May 2022 10:22 As far as I know the body of King Henry I is still under the Abbey somewhere. A warning to us all not to eat too many lampreys.
or under the prison car park
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

The whole process is getting a bit ridiculous, distorting the original proper use of the word - a town with a cathedral . Perhaps the next move will be to change the definition of a king or queen into someone the public votes for - King Boris or previously King Farage . Even King Charles is better than that
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Well, no surprise there then!
C.A.Versham wrote: 20 May 2022 08:46 Milton Keynes - slightly less boring than Basingstoke, as I once told a market researcher seeking views about the place.
Hooped wrote: 20 May 2022 08:30 Milton Keynes... Says it all.
Hmm, yes, I smiled :) but still a bit surprised, as I said above, that Colchester wasn’t already a City.

So it’s definitely nothing to do with the size of population, or historical artefacts - so what is it that ticks the boxes? And that Reading doesn’t have?
Or is it just a geographic scattering when you look at the successful towns this time.
Hopefully RBC will get the message and stop wasting money on these fruitless bids. Although according to some, on here and elsewhere, it’s a City in all but name …..
Yep - and no Lord Mayor selected either!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

D5equj5 wrote: 20 May 2022 10:05 The bid document didn't even mention the libraries, it did mention "Holland" for some strange reason though :shrug1:
I've heard someone else comment that the written case submitted this time was not very strong.

If I start suffering from insomnia then I may take a read. :whistle1:
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Interesting comments on Page 1 of this Topic :)
Especially ‘Bobby’ (no longer here) for predicting Milton Keynes as a winner :))
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Reading's failure is one of the main topics on Jeremy Vine's first hour today.

From what I have heard and read, there is no clarity on what is actually required to achieve city status, which pretty much makes the whole thing a farce. I think Reading should send a clear message by refusing to have any truck with the thing in future. Maybe they could use the money that would have been used for future bids to pay for a pitch-side advert at the SCL Stadium next season... Something along the lines of "Stick your city status up your (insert noun of your choice)!"
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Fed-up wrote: 20 May 2022 12:10
D5equj5 wrote: 20 May 2022 10:05 The bid document didn't even mention the libraries, it did mention "Holland" for some strange reason though :shrug1:
I've heard someone else comment that the written case submitted this time was not very strong.

If I start suffering from insomnia then I may take a read. :whistle1:
No worry - its got lots of pictures...................
https://images.reading.gov.uk/2021/12/R ... or-web.pdf
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

So a 48 page submission and it has only 20 pages of text!

What's the "central cycle hub" which is currently being developed, as mentioned on the last page of text?
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 20 May 2022 12:57 No worry - its got lots of pictures...................
Thanks for the link… actually I think it reads quite well on the whole. Tends to ramble and repetition a bit, and (surprisingly) one or two admissions of ‘deprivation’ - and they did of course miss out the appalling traffic problems from which we all suffer apart from what a wonderful bus service - nothjng on the one or two excellent schools -and the Culture aspect was a bit thin - glossing over it by mentioning one or two names.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

piwacket wrote: 20 May 2022 14:47
OLDMAN wrote: 20 May 2022 12:57 No worry - its got lots of pictures...................
Thanks for the link… actually I think it reads quite well on the whole. Tends to ramble and repetition a bit, and (surprisingly) one or two admissions of ‘deprivation’ - and they did of course miss out the appalling traffic problems from which we all suffer apart from what a wonderful bus service - nothjng on the one or two excellent schools -and the Culture aspect was a bit thin - glossing over it by mentioning one or two names.
The chap on the Jeremy Vine show mentioned that councils had to be well run….

Maybe the debacle of not being able to sign off the council accounts counted again Reading….
Stargazer
Super Contributor

Post by Stargazer »

A lot of people complain about how much money is wasted on city status bids - I understand that the cost to Reading this time was pretty minimal and to be honest it shows in the quality of the bid document, which while having a lot of reasonable content looks like a very cheaply put together Word document. A few hundred pounds and a good graphic designer could have produced a bid with a lot more visual impact. I also agree that a lot more could have been made of Reading's thriving arts and cultural scene.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 20 May 2022 23:03 The chap on the Jeremy Vine show mentioned that councils had to be well run….

Maybe the debacle of not being able to sign off the council accounts counted again Reading….
Maybe ‘they’ had been reading a few local comments,.. and yes, the accounts may have influenced them…
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Wrexham was awarded city status partly because of the Hollywood actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney taking control of their football team and the success that they are currently having. Also it is the third oldest professional football team in the world and locals have been hoping for years that the town would eventually be recognized for that.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

So a cathedral city is one who can get some millionaire or two to spend money on a football team. The whole system is corrupt and just a means to polish the councillor's self-opinion
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 21 May 2022 20:14 Wrexham was awarded city status partly because of the Hollywood actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney taking control of their football team and the success that they are currently having. Also it is the third oldest professional football team in the world and locals have been hoping for years that the town would eventually be recognized for that.
Pete.
City status - because of a Football team :)) so it’s all about culture then - well no wonder Reading didn’t win!

Wondering what Hooped thinks of that?
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Having read the review of Reading becoming a city. What a wonderful review for Reading. From this review Reading should be a City. However this is not the case. So where is the problem. What first sprang to my mind was that on paper Communisim is the best form of government. However we all know that this does not work out in practice. The difference between theory and practice. So in theory Reading should be City But in practice this is not happening WHY?
Standing back to try and look at the overall picture, I believe that the pathetic traffic problems are to blame.

In the early 1960’s I saw plans regarding the traffic passing through Reading. I was a young Police Constable and a Canadian in a big car stopped me in Duke Street with plans of proposed traffic routes through Reading and wanting to know where certain places were. What struck me at the time was.1) a proposed IDR in Reading and although the original route was changed to what it is today, but I feel does work today. 2) an outer distribution, or Spherical, or distribution road , like the M25 circulating Reading. The idea being that on the 4 compass points of main roads , .entering Reading would each have a Park and Ride scheme. So people coming to Reading Town Centre could park and a bus would take them into Reading to do their shopping then return them to the car park for them to go home.m to save unnecessary vehicles coming into the Town Centre. 3) A third Reading Bridge to cross the Thames at Sutton’s Roundabout. This was to take traffic to the Midlands from Southampton to aleviate traffic on the A34.
So fast forward 60 Years and what has Reading Borough Council achieved.
1) the IDR is built and although the route has been changed I personally think it works. 2)The 4 park and Ride schemes have never been implemented, 3) the third Reading Bridge has never been built and 4) the mini M25 has never been built. However due to the M4 going South of Reading instead of north was a good decision. Can you imagine the chaos today of vehicles coming off the M4 then trying to get over our 2 bridges. However what I am unable to understand is that due to the M4 going South of Reading all the land from the M4 north was given over to private house building the area being called Lower Earley, at that time became the largest private building of housing estate in Europe. another feather in Reading’s cap

What I m unable to understand is that although the Mini M25 was never built because of Lower Early road was, this goes basically from junction 10 around to Junction 12 so half the distribution has been built it just needs to be extended from junction 12 around Caversham to junction 10. So any cars wether travelling east/west or north/south if they do not have to go into Reading Town Centre can bye pass it by travelling along the bye pass.

We all know that if an accident occurs on the M4 at junctions 10, 11, 12 within half an hour Reading is grid locked Do not our councillors know that the M4 travels through Reading east to west. Maiden Erleigh drive is also east to west So when there is an accident on the M4 why are there no lights advising traffic wanting to bye pass Reading or not go into the Town centre to leave the motorway I mean Reading Corporation can find money to operate lights telling you not to drink and drive, watch out for cyclists, don’t use your mobile phone, not to use car parks which are full (but not how to get to car parks that are not).

Reading in the early days was Conservative, latterly it has been Labour, Neither of these parties has dealt with the problem of traffic in the Town. They have both let the people of Reading down and cost us the chance of City Status I am surprised that the Liberals have not done better (apart from Tilehurst) because usually they do better in local elections, vote Lberal, vote local. The conservatives and Labour for 60 years have proved they are useless. Come on you Lib Debs show the People what you are made off. (Just get the other half of the Caversham Highway built) and you have made your name. I think.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Lower Earley is Wokingham so Conservative.
North of Reading is Oxfordshire. Mainly NOC now but early 70’s (the M4 period) was Conservative.
A lot of responsibility for Reading’s road development was down to Berkshire County Council.
Reading only looked after local road structures.

We won’t get a third bridge until Oxford agree and they are convinced it will somehow introduce massive traffic to the county
They are also happy to allow development as far away as possible, on Reading’s borders and limit the effect on the rest of the county
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

dave m wrote: 22 May 2022 17:11 Lower Earley is Wokingham so Conservative.
North of Reading is Oxfordshire. Mainly NOC now but early 70’s (the M4 period) was Conservative.
A lot of responsibility for Reading’s road development was down to Berkshire County Council.

We won’t get a third bridge until Oxford agree and they are convinced it will somehow introduce massive traffic to the county
They are also happy to allow development as far away as possible, on Reading’s borders and limit the effect on the rest of the county
So what you are saying is that Reading Borough Council are totally innocent in this matter and that it is all wokingham’s fault that for 60 years Reading have sat back and done nothing and just allowed Reading to Rot. I understand the geography of the problem but I still maintain Reading could have done more to ease their traffic problem. But they have done nothing except prohibit and fine. That I do not believe is the answer to the problem.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

BOY RACER wrote: 22 May 2022 20:07

So what you are saying is that Reading Borough Council are totally innocent in this matter and that it is all wokingham’s fault that for 60 years Reading have sat back and done nothing and just allowed Reading to Rot. I understand the geography of the problem but I still maintain Reading could have done more to ease their traffic problem. But they have done nothing except prohibit and fine. That I do not believe is the answer to the problem.
No, but it does fill their coffers nicely, doesn’t it...... :whistle1:
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 22 May 2022 20:57
BOY RACER wrote: 22 May 2022 20:07

No, but it does fill their coffers nicely, doesn’t it...... :whistle1:
I agree VoT so what does RBC spend the money on other than cycle lanes.

Return to “Reading talk”