Would Reading bid for City status in 2022?

chat about the town here ...
OLDMAN

Re: Would Reading bid for City status in 2022?

Post by OLDMAN »

So you missed The Berkshire Motor Show that took place at Prospect Park?

Just for your diary its on 3rd July next year - that's if your still here!

There are many more shows etc in / around Reading if you take the time to look them up

As for Gunwharf Keyes it is just an expensive shopping centre these days
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Agreed, Portsmouth city centre is an absolute mess and hasn't changed in years. Gunwharf Quays has played a part in the death of Portsmouth city centre, and this trend is common wherever you have an out-of-town shopping centre (Swindon, Portsmouth). A lot of town and city centres around the country are looking very tired and run down. But in general, Reading hasn't suffered this, Reading has a bustling and busy centre.

Plymouth was indeed heavily bombed during the war, and the new city centre was built almost from scratch. But since then, the place needs a complete regeneration, this has been spoken about for decades, but little/no action has been taken. The place is stagnant, and has been left behind. In the meantime, places like Bracknell have had their brutalist town centre completely rebuilt. The fact is that Plymouth (and many other towns/cities) lacks investment. Berkshire, on the other hand, has no problem with attracting investment.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 15 Dec 2021 11:39 So you missed The Berkshire Motor Show that took place at Prospect Park?

There are many more shows etc in / around Reading if you take the time to look them up

Does the Berkshire motor show at Prospect park take place once a month?
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

ash wrote: 15 Dec 2021 11:54 Agreed, Portsmouth city centre is an absolute mess and hasn't changed in years. Gunwharf Quays has played a part in the death of Portsmouth city centre, and this trend is common wherever you have an out-of-town shopping centre (Swindon, Portsmouth). A lot of town and city centres around the country are looking very tired and run down. But in general, Reading hasn't suffered this, Reading has a bustling and busy centre.

Plymouth was indeed heavily bombed during the war, and the new city centre was built almost from scratch. But since then, the place needs a complete regeneration, this has been spoken about for decades, but little/no action has been taken. The place is stagnant, and has been left behind. In the meantime, places like Bracknell have had their brutalist town centre completely rebuilt. The fact is that Plymouth (and many other towns/cities) lacks investment. Berkshire, on the other hand, has no problem with attracting investment.
Reading is definitely tired and run down, except the Oracle. I was there this morning. 'Orrible.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

OLDMAN wrote: 15 Dec 2021 11:39 So you missed The Berkshire Motor Show that took place at Prospect Park?

Yes agreed! Lots going on in Reading for locals, if you research things, it is actually great!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 15 Dec 2021 11:56

Does the Berkshire motor show at Prospect park take place once a month?
No but neither do most organised shows – you may be getting mistaken with car or bike ‘meets’ where they gather for a get together – they often turn into small shows in themselves, and yes there are few about in / around Reading but you need to be interested to know about them unless lucky to catch one in passing
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

ash wrote: 15 Dec 2021 12:02

Yes agreed! Lots going on in Reading for locals, if you research things, it is actually great!
Yes. We have the carnival. Lovely to get high off the fumes.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I’ve been many times and its never like that

Even been to Notting Hill and that was the same
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Ah Chipbutty, your postings do brighten my days as no matter what problems I have in my everyday life they pale into insignificance compared to yours and I realise that actually I'm not so badly off after all. :-)

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

windrush wrote: 15 Dec 2021 18:40 Ah Chipbutty, your postings do brighten my days as no matter what problems I have in my everyday life they pale into insignificance compared to yours and I realise that actually I'm not so badly off after all. :-)

Pete.
:goodposting:
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Yes. It must be so sad to be so encumbered with these thoughts and worries. It reminds me of Sir Peter Bottomley and his worries:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 33668.html
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 15 Dec 2021 14:39 I’ve been many times and its never like that

Even been to Notting Hill and that was the same
Yes - and Reading's car parking isn't expensive. :wink:
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

windrush wrote: 15 Dec 2021 18:40 Ah Chipbutty, your postings do brighten my days as no matter what problems I have in my everyday life they pale into insignificance compared to yours and I realise that actually I'm not so badly off after all. :-)

Pete.
Cheers Windy!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 16 Dec 2021 09:14

Pete.
Cheers Windy!
You are welcome sir, please keep it up.

Pete.
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

Our 38 rivals have been announced! Some good competition in there, I wonder how many 'winners' they'll announce?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59758549

"However, Paul Swinney, research director at the Centre for Cities think tank, told the BBC that, while city status may well be important for civic pride, it was important not to overstate its impact.

"While Reading is a town in the Queen's eyes, from an economy perspective it is very much a city already," he added."
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

As I have made clear I consider the whole thing, as it now is presented, a useless political show . However the recent list is ridiculous. Stanley in the Falkland Islands , Newport & Carisbrook ? Yet Guildford, which is a large town and DOES have a cathedral has to apply. "South Ayrshire" ?? Possibly West Berkshire should apply. It is all a load of bullXXXX, used by politicians to polish their image when the money should be used for something useful.
Last edited by mikejee on 23 Dec 2021 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

bert wrote: 23 Dec 2021 13:03 Our 38 rivals have been announced! Some good competition in there, I wonder how many 'winners' they'll announce?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59758549

"However, Paul Swinney, research director at the Centre for Cities think tank, told the BBC that, while city status may well be important for civic pride, it was important not to overstate its impact. :?

"While Reading is a town in the Queen's eyes, from an economy perspective it is very much a city already," he added."
I’m surprised that Bath and Gloucester are not already Cities - especially the former :?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Gloucester is a city Pi, it’s a dump but it’s a city!
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

I will be amazed if Bolsover ('Boazer' to locals) gets voted as a city, apart from the castle which is visible for miles around especially from the M1 and Dennis Skinner there isn't a lot happening there since the Coalite plant closed down many years ago and it also lost its rail link before then? Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.

Pete.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Reading could legally just call itself a city, I think ...
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Bath is also a city.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

I can’t remember where I saw them listed - it wasn’t on Bert’s link above :?
Some rogue reporter ….?
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

piwacket wrote: 24 Dec 2021 11:24 I can’t remember where I saw them listed - it wasn’t on Bert’s link above :?
Some rogue reporter ….?
I think you might have seen them listed because both Bath and Gloucester have applied for the Lord Provost/Lord Mayor status, which is also being awarded alongside city status in 2022 :)
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

ash wrote: 24 Dec 2021 12:09
piwacket wrote: 24 Dec 2021 11:24 I can’t remember where I saw them listed - it wasn’t on Bert’s link above :?
Some rogue reporter ….?
I think you might have seen them listed because both Bath and Gloucester have applied for the Lord Provost/Lord Mayor status, which is also being awarded alongside city status in 2022 :)
You may well be right!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

lizwing wrote: 23 Dec 2021 23:11 Gloucester is a city Pi, it’s a dump but it’s a city!
I visited Gloucester last year. I thought Gloucester Quays was very nice. The top end of town seemed a bit of a dump.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Absolutely right Chip, The old part of the city is awful, badly knocked about in the 60s, there are still a few historical buildings that survived, around the Cathedral and some tucked away but mostly it’s horrible, I’m afraid the first time we went in after we moved here my OH’s reaction was that it was like the worst bits of Reading. The Quays area is nice, lots of very good places to eat and very attractive waterfront with interesting boats etc. It’s like two completely different cities. We prefer Cheltenham.
BY Paulo Coelho
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

I wrote to Alok Sharma recently to try to persuade him to oppose the RBC City bid. Sadly though he has already voted FOR the scheme although he said he did read my letter with interest.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

"Read with interest" is a standard phrase automatically added by the word-processing programs of politicians to letters to their constiturnts
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

lizwing wrote: 15 Jan 2022 15:08 Absolutely right Chip, The old part of the city is awful, badly knocked about in the 60s, there are still a few historical buildings that survived, around the Cathedral and some tucked away but mostly it’s horrible, I’m afraid the first time we went in after we moved here my OH’s reaction was that it was like the worst bits of Reading. The Quays area is nice, lots of very good places to eat and very attractive waterfront with interesting boats etc. It’s like two completely different cities. We prefer Cheltenham.
Yes, it's a shame as there are some lovely building in the older part of the town too. It really could do with some investment. Where the old Regal Cinema is (now a Wetherspoons), I think they are actually investing some money in that square. It was all fenced off when we were there.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Yes they are, we don’t go in often enough to see how it’s getting on but it’s a massive project, sadly it’ll probably end up full of rough sleepers and yobs. The Debenhams premises have been bought by the University and are being converted into student accommodation which will change that area completely.
BY Paulo Coelho
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Under the present climate does anyone really care any more
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

BOY RACER wrote: 16 Jan 2022 18:03 Under the present climate does anyone really care any more
Makes you wonder whose going to live in the hundreds of apartments and flats they’ve been building the last few years. Likewise what will happen to the tall office buildings in Reading - will they ever come into full use Es a big John Lewis, I think it is, standing empty somewhere I read about. They’re going to spend £100,000 on wrapping the building up to hide it from sight whilst they decide what to do with it.

That’s not a great use of the money, is it.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 19:04
BOY RACER wrote: 16 Jan 2022 18:03 Under the present climate does anyone really care any more
Makes you wonder whose going to live in the hundreds of apartments and flats they’ve been building the last few years.
From a House of Commons library briefing document published last January "Estimates have put the number of new homes needed in England at up to 345,000 per year, accounting for new household formation and a backlog of existing need for suitable housing. In 2019/20, the total housing stock in England increased by around 244,000 homes. This around 1% higher than the year before – and the amount of new homes supplied annually has been growing for several years – but is still lower than estimated need... The Conservative Government elected in December 2019 included a manifesto pledge to “continue to increase the number of homes being built” and referred to a need to rebalance the housing market towards more home ownership: " …we will continue our progress towards our target of 300,000 homes a year by the mid-2020s. This will see us build at least a million more homes, of all tenures, over the next Parliament – in the areas." " The need for more housing has been documented in numerous reports over the last decade.
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 19:04Likewise what will happen to the tall office buildings in Reading - will they ever come into full use Es a big John Lewis, I think it is, standing empty somewhere I read about. They’re going to spend £100,000 on wrapping the building up to hide it from sight whilst they decide what to do with it.

That’s not a great use of the money, is it.
The John Lewis is in Sheffield.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

That’s the one. I read so much, at such speed, I don’t always register the source. Thanks.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 20:52 That’s the one. I read so much, at such speed, I don’t always register the source. Thanks.
No worries - I quite often do the same myself!
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so

Return to “Reading talk”