Would Reading bid for City status in 2022?

chat about the town here ...
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Re: Would Reading bid for City status in 2022?

Post by ChipbuttyG »

dave m wrote: 05 Nov 2021 09:20 And murder of the English language, and statistics.

“The most common crime in Reading is voilent or sexual assaults, so yes.“

So you say that you are more likely to be murdered or sexually assaulted than burgled?
1. Violence and sexual offences

Throughout the period, 5,207 cases involved violence and/or sexual offences.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... ree-years/
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

chris_j_wood wrote: 04 Nov 2021 19:35
That says:
Reading is the most dangerous city in Berkshire, and is among the top 20 most dangerous overall out of Berkshire's 108 towns, villages, and cities. The overall crime rate in Reading in 2020 was 66 crimes per 1,000 people. This compares favourably to Berkshire's overall crime rate, coming in 1.3% lower than the Berkshire rate of 67 per 1,000 residents. For England, Wales, and Northern Ireland as a whole, Reading is among the top 20 safest cities, and the 1,651st most dangerous location out of all towns, cities, and villages.
Also noted from that site:
The most common crimes in Reading are violence and sexual offences, with 6,875 offences during 2020, giving a crime rate of 27. This is 11% higher than 2019's figure of 6,089 offences and a difference of 3.04 from 2019's crime rate of 24. Reading's least common crimes are possession of weapons, with 181 offences recorded in 2020, a decrease of 1.7% from 2019's figure of 184 crimes.
Meanwhile, over in the peaceful idyllic nirvana of Hastings...

Hastings is the most dangerous major town in East Sussex, and is among the top 5 most dangerous overall out of East Sussex's 109 towns, villages, and cities. The overall crime rate in Hastings in 2020 was 94 crimes per 1,000 people. This compares poorly to East Sussex's overall crime rate, coming in 28% higher than the East Sussex rate of 68 per 1,000 residents. For England, Wales, and Northern Ireland as a whole, Hastings is the 38th most dangerous major town, and the 613rd most dangerous location out of all towns, cities, and villages.

In September 2018, Hastings had the worst crime rate in East Sussex for other crime, with 18 crimes reported and a crime rate of 0.19 per 1,000 inhabitants. October 2015 was also a bad month for Hastings residents, when it was East Sussex's most dangerous area for possession of weapons, recording 12 crimes at a rate of 0.13 per 1,000 residents.

The most common crimes in Hastings are violence and sexual offences, with 3,860 offences during 2020, giving a crime rate of 41. This is 9% lower than 2019's figure of 4,193 offences and a difference of 3.56 from 2019's crime rate of 45. Hastings's least common crime is bicycle theft, with 57 offences recorded in 2020, a decrease of 61% from 2019's figure of 92 crimes.

The suggestion would therefore seem to be that both in terms of all crime and in terms of violent and sexual crime, Hastings is about 50% worse than Reading... I'm happy to concede that ChipbuttyG may feel that it seems safer/nicer, but perceptions and figures don't always agree with each other.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Looking at the crime stats. Most commonly reported crimes during Sep 2021

Reading
Violence/sexual offences = 212
Public order = 103
Theft = 67
Anti-social = 46

Hastings
Violence/sexual offences = 79
Public order = 51
Theft = 36
Anti-social = 31
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Your stats may be true, but have zero relevance without also posting the populations of both places, or how many per thousand, or hundred thousand they equate to .

As Poo has already pointed out.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Crimes in Reading September 2021 = 647
Crimes in Hastings September 2021 = 254
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 06 Nov 2021 10:51 Crimes in Reading September 2021 = 647
About the same % then given that Reading must have approx 21/2 times the population of Hastings. Possibly Bracknell has more crime than (for example) Theale but I'm not that bothered to find out.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Still meaningless - but given that Reading is roughly two and a half times bigger than Hastings, there really isn’t that much in it - but if you are packing for Hastings, don’t let me put you off…maybe it offers things that really suit you…
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

I expect he will come back with more meaningless statistics, it appears that whatever response he gets, he always has to have the last word. I wonder if he realises that he is spoiling this forum, already 2 regulars have stopped posting, and I would suspect there are others. If he carries on, he will soon have the forum to himself.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 06 Nov 2021 15:40 I expect he will come back with more meaningless statistics, it appears that whatever response he gets, he always has to have the last word. I wonder if he realises that he is spoiling this forum, already 2 regulars have stopped posting, and I would suspect there are others. If he carries on, he will soon have the forum to himself.
For the record it was only Voiceoftreason that said they would stop posting due to my negativity about Reading. Liz stopped due to other people.

Like I said - for the most part this forum is stagnant aside from the chat thread. If you wish to contribute or debate with with me then that's fair enough. I've never been insulting or personal/abusive to anyone.

Statistics can be manipulated to suit your argument. You seem upset by my statistics but are OK with others when it 'favours' Reading. This is really no basis to dig me out because I'm a newbie.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Mayfield wrote: 06 Nov 2021 13:22
Still meaningless - but given that Reading is roughly two and a half times bigger than Hastings, there really isn’t that much in it - but if you are packing for Hastings, don’t let me put you off…maybe it offers things that really suit you…
More crime is more crime.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

As I said, always have to have the last word.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

So are we to presume that Hastings is your chosen next abode ?

Would you like recommendations for Removal companies ? Or volunteers ?
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 07 Nov 2021 10:04 As I said, always have to have the last word.
OK - I'll just ignore replies.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Mayfield wrote: 07 Nov 2021 10:12 So are we to presume that Hastings is your chosen next abode ?

Would you like recommendations for Removal companies ? Or volunteers ?
Just because I said Hastings, especially the old town is lovely, with plenty going on all the time (more so than Reading) - doesn't mean it's our choice destination. But it's also near to the lovely Rye, Battle, Winchelsea and Pett Level beach etc - so it has a lot going for it. Plus old town is one of the friendliest places you could wish to go where people of all ages enjoy a night out.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 07 Nov 2021 09:27
<snip>

...I'm a newbie.
That is palpably untrue.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Chipbutty, do you come from Reading or did you move here ?
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Mayfield wrote: 07 Nov 2021 16:23 Chipbutty, do you come from Reading or did you move here ?
I come from Reading.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Some other web sites including TVP's own crime figures I've seen seem to disagree with that web site!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 09 Nov 2021 09:50 Some other web sites including TVP's own crime figures I've seen seem to disagree with that web site!

I won't argue. I'll be told off.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I wonder what the result would be if they ran a public poll of what the people of Reading want - city or not?

But there again they won’t do one as I think they already know what the answer would be!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Even if the benefits are marginal, why wouldn’t you want Reading to become a city?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I would prefer to stay as the biggest town rather than another mundane city as that's all we would become
I don't think anyone who lives here would benefit from it

Good example - Newport in Wales, we used to regularly visit as OH’s parents lived down near there so we went a lot
It was granted city status in 2002 and TBH it’s no different now than it had been for all the years before that!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

City status aside, is Jason Brock well? He looks rather ill in that latest photo.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

I see that Marazion in Cornwall has also entered the contest and spent no money on their bid - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-59571276
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Fed-up wrote: 08 Dec 2021 09:51 I see that Marazion in Cornwall has also entered the contest and spent no money on their bid - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-59571276
“Mr Stokoe, chairman of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee Committee, said: "As it is often said, size is not important." :wink:

Mr STROKOE?

:roflol3:
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Marazion looks nice.

However. If one bicycle is stolen their crime rate per thousand would be higher than Reading's, so it's definitely rougher than our town.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

I note, with great sadness, in the final bid document, our proud and world class town libraries do not even warrant a single mention. They really are the poor cousins of Reading and are pushed into the background when the town is spoken of. From being an invaluable resource for researchers from the University of Reading and studious town-folk with a huge amount of literature, old and original books, manuscripts, documents and maps, it is having it's most valuable resources sold-off, allowed to decay and being degraded simply because our council (bless them) simply does not understand the true value of the library and the knowledge, pride and resilience of its staff. So much so, it is now seemingly to be squeezed into spare town-hall or museum space where it can be even more easily ignored by our town council, degraded and pushed even further into the shadows. The once lauded building (opened in 1985) instead of being recognised for its design beauty and positioning, straddling the Holy Brook, seemingly doesn't even warrant a lick of paint nor for that matter a decent and working heating and air-handling system to make it a joyous, safe, comfortable and usable resource and what ought to be a star for the town and a safe place in which Reading residents, visitors with all inclusive access, can freely use its facilities. Children can read and learn to read in comfort and safety. FFS "holland" gets more mentions than the libraries in this "Bid Final For Web" document. Reading surely is crying out for an educated, understanding and knowledgeable council, one which recognises residents needs and the resources available - not just as a line on a spreadsheet but truly knows the value of our all inclusive library service which they are wasting and indeed giving away. In my view Reading should not be awarded "City Status" until it learns from past mistakes and begins to recognise and make full use of its resources and the invaluable dedication of its staff.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

D5equj5 wrote: 08 Dec 2021 12:58 I note, with great sadness, in the final bid document, our proud and world class town libraries do not even warrant a single mention.
:goodposting:
Send it to the local MP.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

piwacket wrote: 08 Dec 2021 13:05
D5equj5 wrote: 08 Dec 2021 12:58 I note, with great sadness, in the final bid document, our proud and world class town libraries do not even warrant a single mention.
Send it to the local MP.
Seconded
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue was from Reading recently - I heard it Monday evening I think. The fact of it being the largest town in the UK was mentioned in Jack Dee's intro.

As for Marazion, thanks for the heads-up. That's just under four miles as the gull flies from where I now live.

Leaving Reading on Monday was a great start. With five hours or more to go, a car ran into us at the Eldon Road/London Road junction. A young woman jumped the red light on London Road as so many do, but this must have been several seconds after the change. She ended up facing the wrong way on the north side.

Fortunately, no-one was hurt, I have a reliable witness and our car was still driveable, probably just the bumper and some surrounding area. The perpetrator was crying, she was so sorry and was pretty shook-up, but the witness took care of her while we headed west. Her granddad called the net day - he wants to sort it out without the insurance being involved, which is fine by me, I don't think it will cost much, but I don't want the car written off, it's not worth much. We plan to get a smaller one now we're here, but not just yet.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 08 Dec 2021 14:02
piwacket wrote: 08 Dec 2021 13:05
Send it to the local MP.
Seconded
Thirded.
It won’t be a mundane city. Also, not awarding Reading City Status until it “learns from past mistakes” etc. muddles up a very laudable criticism of the Council with whether the town should be a city. Reading’s city status qualifications are about its economic growth and development compared to other towns. I’m prepared to put up with Councillors crowing about their part in the process, if it gets the result.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

KeithW wrote: 08 Dec 2021 15:40 I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue was from Reading recently - I heard it Monday evening I think. The fact of it being the largest town in the UK was mentioned in Jack Dee's intro.

As for Marazion, thanks for the heads-up. That's just under four miles as the gull flies from where I now live……
Ah so you’ve flown away - Albeit with injured feathers - shame about that and hope it’s soon sorted.
Lovely part of the country, and wishing you well.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

fair point MickEdge
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

piwacket wrote: 08 Dec 2021 16:12
KeithW wrote: 08 Dec 2021 15:40 I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue was from Reading recently - I heard it Monday evening I think. The fact of it being the largest town in the UK was mentioned in Jack Dee's intro.

As for Marazion, thanks for the heads-up. That's just under four miles as the gull flies from where I now live……
Ah so you’ve flown away - Albeit with injured feathers - shame about that and hope it’s soon sorted.
Lovely part of the country, and wishing you well.
Good luck down there Keith, it’s a fine part of the country. Pity about the bump on the way out - Trust all are ok.

Return to “Reading talk”