Electricity Board Offices Vastern Road

lizwing
Super Contributor

Re: Electricity Board Offices Vastern Road

Post by lizwing »

There was a roller skating rink in Caversham Road Tommy.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

lizwing wrote: 17 Sep 2019 11:02 There was a roller skating rink in Caversham Road Tommy.
Thanks Liz.

My mum mentioned it. Said there was one near(ish) to the station but I couldn't find any info on it initially. Looking on this forum it's mentioned it was where The Majestic used to be....
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

4/6p to hire a pair of skates 😄
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Rather than "being where the majestic used to be"

Wasn't it that the majestic did roller skating"
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

There is an exhibition in the SSE offices Tuesday next week from 3.30 to 7.30 organised by Berkeley to present their proposals.

Here is a link to a website which apparently is intended to show the plans and receive feedback. It clearly needs some work - at present it is just a photo!

http://www.vasternroad.co.uk/
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

I went to the exhibition yesterday. What was most interesting is how small the site is as SSE are retaining the western end along with the large transformer so it is especially pinched in the middle.

All of the artistic architect's images make it look idyllic of course but it will provide a better route from the footbridge towards the station or the tunnel to the town. The buildings proposed will be dwarfed by those in the proposal for the other side of Vastern Road.

What isn't clear is the arrangement for pedestrians to cross Vastern Road as the path will come out a fair distance towards Caversham Road. I got the impression that they would leave that to RBC but hopefully they will be obliged to make a payment to cover this.

The web site I mentioned in the previous post now has a fair bit of information and provides an opportunity to comment.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Saw the plans on Instagram and they’re pretty inoffensive, not particularly tall either.
JGS
Contributor

Post by JGS »

The cyclists in the picture looking towards the footbridge from Vastern Road have both dismounted. Does this mean no cycling? If so, it's only a better route for pedestrians.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

JGS wrote: 23 Oct 2019 16:13 The cyclists in the picture looking towards the footbridge from Vastern Road have both dismounted. Does this mean no cycling? If so, it's only a better route for pedestrians.
From the bridge down to ground level the path zig-zags to discourage cycle/ pedestrian conflicts so maybe cyclists will find it easier to walk round the corners. They were presenting this design as a plus for pedestrians if not for cyclists. If you are on foot they are proposing steps down from the first zig-zag to give a direct route.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Three portacabins were being delivered on the eastern side of the site this morning. Presumably these are for the site management of some works. Watch this space!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Ref Roller Skating, or more precisely a ‘Skating Rink’ - yes there was one in Vastern Rd

We discussed it in this thread –
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13506
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!

Return to “Property developments in Reading”