New Green Park Train Station

Pooneil

Re: New Green Park Train Station

Post by Pooneil »

We have a number of meetings at the moment with people from Peterborough - if there's 2 or more of them, it's cheaper for them to get a taxi down from P'boro to Basingstoke and pay the taxi druver to hang around all day for them, then take them back home.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Souwester wrote: 01 Jan 2020 12:49 If there's more than one of you travelling then the comparison is horrendous. It amazes me, though, just how many small groups can afford to travel long distances by train, yet the trains are nearly always virtually full.
You get some very cheap fares by booking in advance and these people tend to know when the limited advance fares are issued. When I was at Uni in Bournemouth I often visited my girlfriend (now Wife) in Chester. I think the cheapest I ever got the fare was £6 each way (it may even have been a return. Even an advance return booked on specific trains was only about £40.

Now I pay £57 for a return to London with a travel card. That seems expensive but the journey is 30 minutes into Paddington and 30 minutes on the tube so an hour. If I did that in the car it would probably take nearly 2 hours, and the parking charges would be excessive. Part of the issue with the trains in this country is them being centred on ending in London. Very few go round London without long diversions (i.e. Reading to Gatwick)
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

About 10 years ago, a colleague and I were on a course near the Tower of London. It was cheaper and more comfortable for us to drive into London, pay for a car park for the day, etc, than to catch the train, tube, etc. At least we had a guaranteed seat as well.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Fed-up wrote: 03 Jan 2020 10:24 About 10 years ago, a colleague and I were on a course near the Tower of London. It was cheaper and more comfortable for us to drive into London, pay for a car park for the day, etc, than to catch the train, tube, etc. At least we had a guaranteed seat as well.
It also depends how you value your time. You would be there in an hour going by train. It must have been a long and unpleasant journey by car unless you are travelling in the middle of the night.
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 14 May 2020 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Many years ago I was on a course at the University of North London and had to be there for 8:30 am each day so was travelling reasonably early
I got the 17 bus and sat down – I then never sat again until I got on the Northern Line tube!
It was the same coming back but the trains where even more packed – can’t remember the cost as it was a one week travel card and the company sorted it

The other week I did 2 days working in central London and got a one-day travel card each day – cost of each was £55:90 (£59:90 with bus fare, but it was all reimbursed) and was traveling at similar times of the day
But the best bit was the trains where fairly quiet – I managed to sit there and back both days – only standing was on the odd tube journey – and some of those I sat down on
I was quite surprised, but pleased at that

I was told if you don’t mind the fuss, and have a little extra time you can go on websites that give cheap train journeys – but they aren’t direct routes, and involve some changing / diverting so add a bit of time
But can reduce the cost by a lot
I have friends who regularly use these
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

spectrum64 wrote: 03 Jan 2020 10:34
Fed-up wrote: 03 Jan 2020 10:24 About 10 years ago, a colleague and I were on a course near the Tower of London. It was cheaper and more comfortable for us to drive into London, pay for a car park for the day, etc, than to catch the train, tube, etc. At least we had a guaranteed seat as well.
It also depends how you value your time. You would be there in an hour going by train. It must have been a long and unpleasant journey by car unless you are travelling in the middle of the night.
Correction: The course was on London Bridge Road.

It was quicker going by car than going via public transport. We left Winnersh Triangle at 0630 each day and were in London in plenty of time and got breakfast in Leadenhall Market before heading to the course. We left at a similar time to using public transport but arrived earlier. Same with the journey home.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

OLDMAN wrote: 03 Jan 2020 10:50I was told if you don’t mind the fuss, and have a little extra time you can go on websites that give cheap train journeys – but they aren’t direct routes, and involve some changing / diverting so add a bit of time
But can reduce the cost by a lot
A lot of money can be saved by splitting tickets rather than by using alternative routes. I use www.trainsplit.com - it will look at your journey and try to split it into different legs to find the cheapest overall fares.

I'm going to Stockport next week, and I saved about £34 bringing *first class* return down to £104 (although £5 of the savings goes to the website company). Although I am on a direct service each way, and can stay on the train throughout each journey my tickets are Reading-Banbury, Banbury-Brum, Brum-Stafford, Stafford-Stoke and Stoke-Stockport and just three legs on the way back. Still the fastest possible way of doing the journey but for a significant saving. My friend recently saved £20-odd on a one-way off peak journey Reading-Bridgwater.

The ticket pricing in this country is so complex that it really does need a computer to find the cheapest options. Even booking office staff can't provide the same level of advice.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

I should add that trainsplit will, of course, look at different routes too, so my search results gave journeys involving Reading-Padd, tube, and Euston-Stockport for example.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

For simpler journeys it should not be necessary to use a website that charges, but just evaluate routes yourself using the train operator's website, especially for split ticketing. I often use split ticketing for journeys especially to birmingham. These are often day return journeys. However the rail companies, in their wisdom, do not offer a day return for this route. However they do offer it to Banbury and then from Banbury to Birmingham, at a considerable reduction to a 1-month return
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Souwester wrote: 03 Jan 2020 16:49 I should add that trainsplit will, of course, look at different routes too, so my search results gave journeys involving Reading-Padd, tube, and Euston-Stockport for example.
That's the sort of thing my friends use, plus the ticket splitting
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

"The train due to arrive at Platform One will not now be arriving there for several more months to come as Platform One won't be ready until then..."
Now delayed from late 2020 to "late summer 2021 "at the earliest"", apparently. Everybody's favourite virus to blame, allegedly.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I was looking at some info the other day, after looking for something else - there used to be a sort of station, and tracks near this line up until a few years back - albeit further towards Basingstoke
Looking at a GSV map and I wondered what an area was near Bramley that showed on it, (checking for alternative routes home etc) it showed this large area which I recognised as a possible military style place - turned out it was Bramley Ordnance Depot (Central Ammunition Depot Bramley)
Opened in 1917 for the manufacture and storage of ammunition, and it had a link station with the main line, the its own rail track / stock system through the place – it closed in 1978 but the Americans then used it as store until 1987 when it became Bramley Training Area and split into three sections
One was used for filming (some episodes of Midsummer Murders made there), a second area was for training and has a respirator test centre, the third was used to film Scrapheap Challenge with a fake scrapyard built for that!
Most if it is now closed and the soil being tested / cleared for development – but on GSV you can still see the remains of buildings and where the rail tracks where
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

I spy wikipedia :-) - I think the stuff about soil-testing and cleaning may now be out of date; I think it finished a couple of years ago. In fact the first phase of clearing up some of the old Bramley Camp land and developing it happened over 30 years ago - when a company started to lay a water pipe through the camp to Bramley, to save going along the road, in digging the trench they came across mustard gas bombs. That caused considerable inconvenience removing them, and the A33 was even closed when they removed them (presumably to somewhere like Porton Down for safe disposal). Certainly there was a lot of bomb disposal done there afterwards, and some of the land was used for housing and light industrial units. One local resident related why so much activity was needed - "my father, who worked in the ammunitions depot until he retired [told me]: "Each quarter, they had a stock take of the ammunition held in each shed. If the stock take was more than the last quarter, they were told to take it outside and bury it four feet deep and six feet away from the shed.""

There was a further bomb-clearing operation in 1995.

Some of the area is still used by the Army and the Chinooks fly over pretty low before landing - my parent's house had double doors between the lounge and dining room, and whenever a Chinook came over it used to make them rattle quite impressively!

In its heyday, it was quite an establishment - it was a Central Ammunition Depot, a principal ammunition storage facility, and from the time it was built until the late 1930s the only one of its kind for land service ammunition in the UK. I think the perimeter was something like 11 miles, and as you'll have seen from the wikipedia articles, there were 30 miles of rail track there. I think the site was about 900 acres.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Thanks - I am still looking at info on it as think I may have some past work connections that i hadn't realised until now!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

With more people working from home this will only return value in a decade or more when people find it safer to travel again
sarahbentley
Contributor

Post by sarahbentley »

nearly 7,500 new jobs! not sure what jobs they will be but its good for the area's economy
https://www.greenpark.co.uk/getting-aro ... k-station/
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

sarahbentley wrote: 11 Jan 2022 10:53 nearly 7,500 new jobs! not sure what jobs they will be but its good for the area's economy
https://www.greenpark.co.uk/getting-aro ... k-station/
I think the key phrase on the job creation front is "up to" - that's almost certainly the absolutely optimistic best-scenario-ever estimate.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Only just seen this. Fascinating to see that, "This will improve the accessibility of the area and serve all local commuters, business and residents’ needs in the early stages of 2022."

I assume that "the early stages" means January to April - has anyone heard when the station will open?
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

The station seems to be nearly finished now, even if the adjacent apartment blocks are not:

277225790_7624219150929287_8306732163693301666_n.jpg
277302318_7624219754262560_237075814850312657_n.jpg

Cannot help but think that a half-hourly three-car diesel train isn't really going to be adequate for the density of development going up around the station.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”