New Green Park Train Station

zag

New Green Park Train Station

Post by zag »

I guess this deserves its own thread now its finally getting some momentum.

Latest news
Funding has now been confirmed by RBC with the contractor confirmed as Balfour Beatty. Construction due to start in 2018 with completion in March 2020.

Proposal
A new railway station between Reading and Mortimer train stations, heading on to Basingstoke.

Cost
£8 million - 16.5 million

Schedual
July 2007 - Proposal
October 2011 - Suspension due to housing development scaled down
December 2013 - Resumption by RBC after central government funding announced

Construction plan
Phase One will provide a station with two platforms, each long enough for a five-coach train, platform canopies and a footbridge. There will be an access road and shared cycle and footway to the station. The station will have two bus bays, a cycle hire hub and cycle parking with an unspecified number of spaces.

Phase Two would add a separate footpath to segregate pedestrians from cyclists, a rank for five taxis, and increase the number of bus bays from two to three.

Phase Three would add another section of access road, increase the number of bus bays to six and add a ground-level car park with 103 spaces. If enough funds were forthcoming soon enough, the project could proceed straight from Phase One to Phase Three.

Phase Four would add a 200-space four-storey car park and reduce the ground level car park to 42 spaces.

Services
2 an hour(once the line is electrified)

Current site
Green_Park_location.jpg
Proposed design
green-park-stationJPG.jpg
2sheds
Super Contributor

Re: New Green Park Train Station

Post by 2sheds »

zag wrote: 01 Nov 2017 14:17 Services
Good luck with that last bit. You have to question the sense of spending so much money in these austere times when there is no clarity as to when this line will be electrified.
zag

Post by zag »

Since the station will now not be completed until 2020 it should be done in time hopefully.

Actually having a station there, ready to go should pressure them even more to electrify the line.

Worst comes to the worst they may have to change the timetables, so not a huge issue.
2sheds
Super Contributor

Post by 2sheds »

There shouldn't be any room for 'hope' in planning, particularly when there are such huge sums of public money involved. And how is trains potentially not stopping at the station, or other stations on the line potentially losing their service, not a huge issue? Whether trains will be able to stop at this station at all within the next decade seems rather fundamental to the decision whether to build it.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

I will watch this with interest. Could provide an alternative for match days, particularly as I am hoping to no longer be working for a company with a car park in Green Park by 2020!
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

2sheds wrote: 02 Nov 2017 08:00
zag wrote: 01 Nov 2017 14:17 Services
Good luck with that last bit. You have to question the sense of spending so much money in these austere times when there is no clarity as to when this line will be electrified.

What in god's name are you on about?

Green park has thousands and thousands of employees and many business visitors.

Reading FC and (currently) London Irish have games every 1-2 week.

The new Royal Elm Park will include hundreds of new apartments, a bar or two, restaurant and ice rink.

The funding has been in place for a while as far as I'm aware. This train station is so so so long overdue it's not even funny. For years it's been wanted and needed.

You can't always have everything in place. The line is there, the space is there, it just needs some more infrastructure and the running will inevitably follow.
2sheds
Super Contributor

Post by 2sheds »

Hi bobby1413
It was discussed in this topic viewtopic.php?f=68&t=10829 . There's no question that the station is required, but without electrification the trains may not stop there (or somewhere else). This is because the current diesels with their slow acceleration can't fit in an extra stop and still manage a half hour service to Basingstoke. Something will have to give if the service doesn't get electrified as per the plan (2020 I believe now). As mentioned elsewhere that could be dropping services to other stations with a couple of stations getting hourly services instead of half hourly. As we have seen with Network Rail's electrification program the norm isn't for it to be on time, and in some cases it gets scrapped altogether. Some, including Cllr Page, think that building a station will embarrass Network Rail to deliver electrification. Perhaps that's right, and perhaps there are some penalties in there for Network Rail if it fails to deliver, but without some fundamentals in place, such as whether trains will be able to stop, it seems a bit of an expensive build to potentially have to mothball.

Now, I have an axe to grind as I used to live near Cardiff Road where Network Rail built a depot for servicing electric trains right next to residential houses. That depot is servicing diesel trains for the foreseeable future and producing dangerous levels of pollution. The lies about electrification are legion. The Basingstoke line electrification was always the furthest away anyhow so I hope you will understand my scepticism.

Now, I will also admit that I didn't look at the planning app and see whether all questions about the timetable and electrification have been answered and guaranteed, but I imagine that if they had been that would be the headline alongside the news of a new station. I think we can both agree that it isn't funny.
wirewiper
Super Contributor

Post by wirewiper »

If Reading-Basingstoke doesn't get electrified I would imagine that Mortimer and Bramley would be skip-stopped alternatively, so that each gets an hourly service.
zag

Post by zag »

Yep exactly, there are loads of solutions.

The idea that trains won't be able to use this station was conjured up in a local RBC meeting and reported all over the press as such, it is by no means fact or even likely.

A solution will be found, and this station is well on its way to being built which is fantastic news all round!
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Except you forget there is also the plan for the huge new Grazeley development that Wokingham council applied for all the millions of pounds for a feasibility study on - that also has a fanciful station - how many new stations are going to be planned on the basis that either electrification will happen or some other stations (that people already live near and use) can be downgraded to an hourly service.

There really needs to be joined up thinking on this - I don't beleive NR are under any obligation to build or service stations they just provide the infrastructure (not including most stations) Train operating companies service the customers
psheraton

Post by psheraton »

Have they actually started work on this as yet?
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

ReadingBiker wrote: 06 Nov 2017 16:18 Except you forget there is also the plan for the huge new Grazeley development that Wokingham council applied for all the millions of pounds for a feasibility study on - that also has a fanciful station - how many new stations are going to be planned on the basis that either electrification will happen or some other stations (that people already live near and use) can be downgraded to an hourly service.
I'm sure there was a plan mooted a decade or two back to build a station at Chineham between Basingstoke and Bramley. I think the proposed site is still reasonably available...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
zag

Post by zag »

psheraton wrote: 02 Feb 2018 13:25 Have they actually started work on this as yet?
Nope, but the contractor has been approved I believe, so it won't be long.
Reading Borough Council is currently in discussions with the Department for Transport, Network Rail and Great Western Railway to agree a timetable for the delivery of Reading’s new railway station.

The spend approval for Green Park Station is an important landmark for this Council-led scheme and we hope to be in a position to announce when work on the ground will start at some point over the Winter.
http://news.reading.gov.uk/green-park-spend/
zag

Post by zag »

From the latest green park village mailer:
The construction of the new Reading Green Park train station is expected to commence in August 2018, with a view to open in Summer 2019.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Excellent news!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Hooped wrote: 19 Apr 2018 10:18 Excellent news!
Sorry Hooped, not trying to be rude, but them actually starting construction would be good news. The station opening would be excellent news.

This is just a press release, and I've seen too many of them on Green Park station to greet it with much more than a yawned "oh yea, I'll believe it when I see it".
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Just the 20 years from the proposal to perhaps finally something being done. Shame the 3rd Thames Bridge has taken much longer.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

chris_j_wood wrote: 19 Apr 2018 11:02
Hooped wrote: 19 Apr 2018 10:18 Excellent news!
Sorry Hooped, not trying to be rude, but them actually starting construction would be good news. The station opening would be excellent news.

This is just a press release, and I've seen too many of them on Green Park station to greet it with much more than a yawned "oh yea, I'll believe it when I see it".
Fair point, Chris. I was just trying to express my support for a station that's really close to an office that I visit every few weeks and my football team!
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

It'll be interesting to see where the railway tracks actually go and how this'll impact any road layouts/traffic
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

no new tracks needed - I believe it is planned to be about central to this map on the existing track north of Kirtons Farm Rd

https://goo.gl/maps/PU5ZH6GCRAM2
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

So revised plans have been submitted and it is expected that this will be built by next summer.

There is also a mention that Green Park Business Park is being expanded, as well as even more housing in the Green Park Village.

The new train station will be a welcome addition to away fans travelling to Reading games. Makes it that bit easier to drink in town and then catch a 10 minute train to RG2.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

Only about 20 years too late. I'm very skeptical it'll be done by next summer.
djdave022002
Contributor

Post by djdave022002 »

Hi all, does anyone know the best source of information for the latest updates on this subject ? I've only recently taken employment in Reading and am baffled as to why its taken so long for RBC to sort a station if funding has been in place. Its win win all over.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

djdave022002 wrote: 26 Jun 2019 12:32 Hi all, does anyone know the best source of information for the latest updates on this subject ? I've only recently taken employment in Reading and am baffled as to why its taken so long for RBC to sort a station if funding has been in place. Its win win all over.
Because RBC only agree permission. They can push for funding and Network Rail's agreement to build, but it's not the council's job to build railway stations or plan railway timetables. It isn't "Field of Dreams".
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

dave m wrote: 26 Jun 2019 13:11 Because RBC only agree permission. They can push for funding and Network Rail's agreement to build, but it's not the council's job to build railway stations or plan railway timetables. It isn't "Field of Dreams".
Especially as the site of the new station track and platforms is not even in the borough. At least that is what a close examination of the Ordnance Survey's election map appears to show:

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/electi ... &labels=on
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

chris_j_wood wrote: 26 Jun 2019 13:24 Especially as the site of the new station track and platforms is not even in the borough. At least that is what a close examination of the Ordnance Survey's election map appears to show:
The platforms are mostly in West Berks, with a small part at the southern end in Wokingham (in that rather odd triangular exclave). The buildings and parking area are in Reading.
jonbryce
Super Contributor

Post by jonbryce »

chris_j_wood wrote: 26 Jun 2019 13:24
dave m wrote: 26 Jun 2019 13:11 Because RBC only agree permission. They can push for funding and Network Rail's agreement to build, but it's not the council's job to build railway stations or plan railway timetables. It isn't "Field of Dreams".
Especially as the site of the new station track and platforms is not even in the borough. At least that is what a close examination of the Ordnance Survey's election map appears to show:

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/electi ... &labels=on
I think the railway line marks the border at that particular location.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

jonbryce wrote: 26 Jun 2019 22:15 I think the railway line marks the border at that particular location.
That is what I thought until I zoomed the map in. From that it looks like the borough boundary is actually along the eastern fence line of the railway right of way, putting the the railway track itself in West Berkshire and, for a short stretch, Wokingham.

Of course it isn't clear how accurate the mapping is, so that could just be an artifact. But my money would be on the Ordnance Survey doing a decent job.
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

Will this new station be connected to the Elizabeth Line?
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

I doubt it as the most westerly point on the Elizabeth Line is the main Reading station, I believe.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

Green Park station will only be served by the Reading to Basingstoke stopping trains operated by GWR. Frequency is every 30 minutes mostly, although weekday morning and evening rush hours will be every twenty minutes.
The Elizabeth Line cannot easily be extended to Green Park because it would use up paths needed for services to Basingstoke. It could theoretically be extended to Basingstoke but would need overhead electrification between Reading and Basingstoke and would struggle to attract custom from Basingstoke with excessively long journey times.
jonbryce
Super Contributor

Post by jonbryce »

And if they were looking for somewhere to extend the Elizabeth line to, the Greenford branch would be the most obvious choice.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

For more than twenty years, I've been looking forward to Green Park station providing me with a quicker and cheaper way of getting from Sussex to the MadStad on match days. With the possibility of the station opening in the foreseeable future, I have just had a look at the current travel time and cost. Let's just say that I will almost certainly stick with using the car as leaving home four hours before kick-off to do a 65 mile journey just ain't gonna happen. As for the cost, it would be at least four times more expensive for two of us to take the train.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Hooped wrote: 31 Dec 2019 15:45 I will almost certainly stick with using the car as leaving home four hours before kick-off to do a 65 mile journey just ain't gonna happen. As for the cost, it would be at least four times more expensive for two of us to take the train.
That's the sad part about using the railways in this country. When I was in Somerset I was about 15 miles from both Taunton and Yeovil Junction stations. I had frequent trips to Sheffield, which, on an average day would take about 3.25-3.5 hours door to door, for a fuel cost of about £65. To do it by rail I'd have to allow about 40 minutes (or more in morning peaks) to get to the station, get parked (£10ish) and get tickets sorted. Train journey was about 3:22 from memory, costing upwards of £200 if bought last minute, then a 15-minute taxi the other end costing £10-12. Driving was a no-brainer.

Now I'm only 12 minutes walk from Reading station the comparison is slightly better, but last spring the walk on day return fare was £197.50 and it still takes 2.75 hours.

If there's more than one of you travelling then the comparison is horrendous. It amazes me, though, just how many small groups can afford to travel long distances by train, yet the trains are nearly always virtually full.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”