Huge Peppard Road Homes Plan Could Be Approved Despite Widespread Objections

Tricky
Super Contributor

Re: Huge Peppard Road Homes Plan Could Be Approved Despite Widespread Objections

Post by Tricky »

I think people are living in cloud cuckoo land if they believe building swathes of new housing will drive down prices. It just lines the (already bulging) pockets of the developers and the land owners. It will take a couple more interest rate rises to burst the housing bubble.
Savebugsbottom.com
ash
Super Contributor

Re: Huge Peppard Road Homes Plan Could Be Approved Despite Widespread Objections

Post by ash »

Just got an email from the council about the appeal, and information about the public inquiry hearing on 1/5/18.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

ash wrote: 24 Mar 2018 11:19 Just got an email from the council about the appeal, and information about the public inquiry hearing on 1/5/18.
Is that SODC or RBC? RBC have objected but aren't fighting that hard according to this Chronicle article.
http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/ ... nts-anchor
Being cycnical, again, might it suit their third bridge campaign as traffic gets even more impossible in Caversham. It also boosts Reading's economy, even if it is a strain on services.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

The email was from South Oxfordshire Council.

With regards to the Third Thames bridge, I would say they should build the bridge first, before they allow any sort of developments north of the river.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Tricky wrote: 03 Nov 2017 10:41 I think people are living in cloud cuckoo land if they believe building swathes of new housing will drive down prices. It just lines the (already bulging) pockets of the developers and the land owners. It will take a couple more interest rate rises to burst the housing bubble.
I'd truly love to agree with you ( my children are potential first time buyers ) but having read the posts on MGG on FB I have to tell you that many people are not getting what they hoped for, for their houses. So cloud cuckoo land it is, and I'm right there with you !
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

zag wrote: 02 Nov 2017 12:54 NIMBYs.jpg

So sad to see a load of grey haired NIMBY's fighting this, its all that is wrong with this country.

I'm sure you could just as easily get 100 young people in support trying to buy their first home.

It looks like a perfectly acceptable development to me of much needed houses in north Reading.
Sad to see such ageism.
Birds eye
Contributor

Post by Birds eye »

South Oxfordshire council know the traffic burden will be felt in Berkshire but it boosts South Oxfordshire government house building quota, I'm not suggesting South Oxfordshire council is pulling a crafty one!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Birds eye wrote: 19 Nov 2018 14:55 South Oxfordshire council know the traffic burden will be felt in Berkshire but it boosts South Oxfordshire government house building quota, I'm not suggesting South Oxfordshire council is pulling a crafty one!
Plenty of land nearer to Oxford they could build on!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

OLDMAN wrote: 20 Nov 2018 12:17
Birds eye wrote: 19 Nov 2018 14:55 South Oxfordshire council know the traffic burden will be felt in Berkshire but it boosts South Oxfordshire government house building quota, I'm not suggesting South Oxfordshire council is pulling a crafty one!
Plenty of land nearer to Oxford they could build on!
But that would mean placing extra traffic and strain on the services in Oxford, their county town.

With the development sites around Reading, they would be contributing to their own housing targets, but push the pressure onto Reading. Win-win (for Oxfordshire Council).

Glad this appeal was refused, though. But I feel like it’s not going to be the last of the applications around Reading’s boundaries.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

I share people's cynicism about Oxfordshire's intentions, but from what I've read recently South Oxfordshire are clear about not wanting to build directly on the border with Reading, and have convinced the authorities that their housing targets can be met.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

MickEdge wrote: 20 Nov 2018 16:21I share people's cynicism about Oxfordshire's intentions, but from what I've read recently South Oxfordshire are clear about not wanting to build directly on the border with Reading
Are they going to leave a 20 metre wide DMZ with the Reading border? ;-)
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Pooneil wrote: 20 Nov 2018 16:26
MickEdge wrote: 20 Nov 2018 16:21I share people's cynicism about Oxfordshire's intentions, but from what I've read recently South Oxfordshire are clear about not wanting to build directly on the border with Reading
Are they going to leave a 20 metre wide DMZ with the Reading border? ;-)
Of course and "all along the watchtower"s, as well.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

MickEdge wrote: 20 Nov 2018 16:58
Pooneil wrote: 20 Nov 2018 16:26 Are they going to leave a 20 metre wide DMZ with the Reading border? ;-)
Absolutely. Mines and automated machine guns too. Need to take back control of our borders. Can't have these damn immigrants from Oxfordshire jumping the queue and taking our jobs and using our public services.

:whistle1:
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

chris_j_wood wrote: 20 Nov 2018 17:48
MickEdge wrote: 20 Nov 2018 16:58
Pooneil wrote: 20 Nov 2018 16:26 Are they going to leave a 20 metre wide DMZ with the Reading border? ;-)
Absolutely. Mines and automated machine guns too. Need to take back control of our borders. Can't have these damn immigrants from Oxfordshire jumping the queue and taking our jobs and using our public services.

:whistle1:
Presumably you won’t be joining the new party, formed to fight for frictionless borders and definitely no customs checks on the Thames bridge crossings.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

BUILD A WALL!

Return to “Property developments in Reading”