Huge Peppard Road Homes Plan Could Be Approved Despite Widespread Objections

Stewart
Super Contributor

Huge Peppard Road Homes Plan Could Be Approved Despite Widespread Objections

Post by Stewart »

Anyone know where about on the Peppard Road this is? I assume it is the beginning of Emmer Green connecting with Sonning Common?

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/proper ... n-13570888
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
OLDMAN

Re: Huge Peppard Road Homes Plan Could Be Approved Despite Widespread Objections

Post by OLDMAN »

This has been discussed before - its just over the RBC border in S'Oxon, they couldn't build much closer

So more freeloaders taking advantage of Readings facilities but paying CT to another council!

Its here -
emm.JPG
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Stewart
Super Contributor

Re: Huge Peppard Road Homes Plan Could Be Approved Despite Widespread Objections

Post by Stewart »

Sorry if this has been discussed in the past, first I have heard of it Oldman. I see now it is to expand the Phillimore Road/Tower Close Estate in Emmer Green, thought all these field were Green Belt?
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Oddly I cannot find the original thread - think maybe it was part of another one - just remember it being brought up before

The RBC/S'Oxon border runs along the back of the houses between Peppard and Kiln Rds. and this development comes under S'Oxon so unsure how it can be a development of the existing estate as that comes under RBC?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

Looking at the plans, it will be a discrete estate, with no connection from Philimore Rd/Tower Close. Access will be from Kiln Rd and Peppard Road.

http://www.your-views.co.uk/emmer-green/

Although if it did have access from existing housing in RBC territory, then it's quite feasible to have a new access crossing the border between 2 LAs. I don't see how 'coming under' different authorities would make any difference.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

There are coaches taking objectors to the planning meeting in Didcot tomorrow evening..
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Bannock wrote: 05 Sep 2017 11:19 Looking at the plans, it will be a discrete estate, with no connection from Philimore Rd/Tower Close. Access will be from Kiln Rd and Peppard Road.

Although if it did have access from existing housing in RBC territory, then it's quite feasible to have a new access crossing the border between 2 LAs. I don't see how 'coming under' different authorities would make any difference.
If you lived on/near council borders you would soon understand the difference and the problems it causes

I am on RBC/WBC and its a never ending battle between over who owns roads/ access / rights etc.

As for planning - that's a big joke as WBC build things right on the border that no-one wants and objects to but as they come under RBC its ignored and they still get built
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Bannock wrote: 05 Sep 2017 11:19 Looking at the plans, it will be a discrete estate, with no connection from Philimore Rd/Tower Close. Access will be from Kiln Rd and Peppard Road.

Well who is responsible for clearing the surface water gullies, emptying bins, repairing street lights all changes at the boundary - you would have an estate where depending on how far down the road you lived determined what was recycled or not and what day it was collected etc
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

You're usually the clearest and best poster on this forum, RB. I'm talking from a planning permission and build perspective. You're talking about potential logistical problems after build, RB and OM. Obviously housing does cross LA boundaries otherwise OM wouldn't have the problems he's moaning about.

Honestly, do you think the fact that people might end up with different bin days will stop a property developer building houses?

Anyway, this proposed estate is discrete (although not discreet, evidently) as I said, everything on the estate will be dealt with by SODC/Oxfordshire. And yes, we'll have the usual bludging of Reading services by residents just as we do in Earley/Lower Earley, Tilehurst/Calcot etc. Only changing the LA borders to encompass the whole of Greater Reading will change that, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Is their Council Tax less than ours in South Oxon? I might think about moving to this place if they build some very nice houses.
Tricky
Super Contributor

Post by Tricky »

Bannock wrote: 05 Sep 2017 13:55 I might think about moving to this place if they build some very nice houses.
Good god, I hope not....
Savebugsbottom.com
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Bannock wrote: 05 Sep 2017 13:55 You're usually the clearest and best poster on this forum, RB. I'm talking from a planning permission and build perspective. You're talking about potential logistical problems after build, RB and OM. Obviously housing does cross LA boundaries otherwise OM wouldn't have the problems he's moaning about.

Honestly, do you think the fact that people might end up with different bin days will stop a property developer building houses?

Anyway, this proposed estate is discrete (although not discreet, evidently) as I said, everything on the estate will be dealt with by SODC/Oxfordshire. And yes, we'll have the usual bludging of Reading services by residents just as we do in Earley/Lower Earley, Tilehurst/Calcot etc. Only changing the LA borders to encompass the whole of Greater Reading will change that, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Is their Council Tax less than ours in South Oxon? I might think about moving to this place if they build some very nice houses.
Well in terms of how it fits into the local development plan it means it has to fit into SOxon not RBC's plan and can ignore RBC, all S106 (community infrastructure levy) will be paid into SOxon pot and spent on whatever their priorities are. During build any restrictions on building noise/muckaway truck access etc will be under the direction/enforcement of SOxon rather than RBC etc etc. As for Council tax not sure and likely not easy to assess without access to all the extra bit sand bobs like local precepts / fire brigade charges etc. Also remember those houses will be outside of RE3 area so no using Smallmead.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

Yes. None of which would stop them being built.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

Tricky wrote: 05 Sep 2017 14:49
Bannock wrote: 05 Sep 2017 13:55 I might think about moving to this place if they build some very nice houses.
Good god, I hope not....
It's all right T, your gaff's far enough away. I've already made sure of that.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

SO C'tax is about £2-300 per year more for bands C/D which these houses will most probably be

And just for interest - the nearest SO recycling centre is 12 miles away

Smallmead is just 5miles!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

OLDMAN wrote: 05 Sep 2017 15:39And just for interest - the nearest SO recycling centre is 12 miles away

Ah, but with the traffic that can be a very long 5 miles! :wink: The 12 miles to the SO facility might actually be closer in terms of time.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Pooneil wrote: 05 Sep 2017 18:07
OLDMAN wrote: 05 Sep 2017 15:39And just for interest - the nearest SO recycling centre is 12 miles away

Ah, but with the traffic that can be a very long 5 miles! :wink: The 12 miles to the SO facility might actually be closer in terms of time.
True, and also dependant on time of day - I'm about 4miles from Smallmead and can do it in abut 10-15mins and traffic doesn't really effect the route I use

Not that its matters as they would have to go that way / and use that one! :wink:

Edit to add - I saw in the news the Newbury etc. ones are having problems and WeBC residents are up in arms about it all!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Cynically, I think this development suits SODC very well. They have not built the houses they agreed to, so this development, at far end of their empire, well away from the villages and towns where their voters live is ideal. Especially, as has been said they pocket the S106 payments and Reading picks up the bill.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Does anyone know the outcome of the planning meeting last night.

Problem if even if it was rejected Gladman will appeal and are likely to win due to the officers recommendation being to approve it!
Tricky
Super Contributor

Post by Tricky »

It was overwhelmingly rejected by SODC, so Gladman will appeal the decision. Further news on the CAGE fb page.
Savebugsbottom.com
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

Quite a surprise, I don't think any of the wise heads (including mine) on here predicted that one..........

Now of course we'll expect that Gladman will win the appeal and SODC will just shrug and say "we tried".
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Bannock wrote: 07 Sep 2017 09:47 Quite a surprise, I don't think any of the wise heads (including mine) on here predicted that one..........

Now of course we'll expect that Gladman will win the appeal and SODC will just shrug and say "we tried".
Absolutely - my parents live in a village that is one of only 2 places to have defeated Gladman at appeal!

As SODC do not have a Local Plan then they have no leg to stand on - the Planning Officer will know that and is why they recommended approval.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

What stuck out to be was the councillor who said that we should supply infrastructure BEFOREHAND ....ok, I may be being generous with the words, but if if I'm not very much mistaken, that was his intent...vote for that man !
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

eddieed wrote: 07 Sep 2017 12:16 As SODC do not have a Local Plan
Au contraire,
"The SODC Local Plan
1. No third bridge.
2. Er, that's it..."

:wink:
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

eddieed wrote: 07 Sep 2017 12:16
Bannock wrote: 07 Sep 2017 09:47 Quite a surprise, I don't think any of the wise heads (including mine) on here predicted that one..........

Absolutely - my parents live in a village that is one of only 2 places to have defeated Gladman at appeal!

As SODC do not have a Local Plan then they have no leg to stand on - the Planning Officer will know that and is why they recommended approval.
They sort of do have a local plan and they have at least got a proven 4.1 yrs of housing land supply identified which is the main thing they have to show to not get immediately thrown out at appeal - http://www.southoxon.gov.uk/sites/defau ... NDUM_0.pdf. It was this lack of identified housing land which is why the big development near vodafone HQ got allowed on appeal and the reason there is now one for West Berks is the reason the recent appeal regarding a big development in Thatcham got refused
Tricky
Super Contributor

Post by Tricky »

Gladman launches its expected appeal against the SODC decision

More info here: https://www.cagedunsden.org/
Savebugsbottom.com
D6equj5

Post by D6equj5 »

If they build the new bridge it will be very handy for these new homeowners access routes
zag

Post by zag »

NIMBYs.jpg
So sad to see a load of grey haired NIMBY's fighting this, its all that is wrong with this country.

I'm sure you could just as easily get 100 young people in support trying to buy their first home.

It looks like a perfectly acceptable development to me of much needed houses in north Reading.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Not North Reading but extremely South Oxfordshire!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Tricky
Super Contributor

Post by Tricky »

zag wrote: 02 Nov 2017 12:54
I'm sure you could just as easily get 100 young people in support trying to buy their first home.
Yeah right... ''Young people'' are far too busy to actually get off their collective asses and do something.. ergo: Brexit?
Savebugsbottom.com
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Tricky wrote: 02 Nov 2017 15:26
zag wrote: 02 Nov 2017 12:54
Yeah right... ''Young people'' are far too busy to actually get off their collective asses and do something.
Looking at the lighting in that picture I'd say it was likely taken when ''Young people'' were probably busy at work...
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

zag wrote: 02 Nov 2017 12:54 NIMBYs.jpg

So sad to see a load of grey haired NIMBY's fighting this, its all that is wrong with this country.

It looks like a perfectly acceptable development to me of much needed houses in north Reading.
Yep great, except that there are no local facilities planned to support it....school, doctors, hospital places ? And guess what, these people will want to go where's nearest, so Emmer Green and CPV schools rather than Sonning Common and Peppard.
They'll want to use Readings facilities, not South Oxfordshires...
Will young people to be able to afford these homes ?
Then there are the traffic issues....

My daughter would love to get on the housing ladder ( and we'd love her to, as well ) and has a good job, but my bet is they won't help her one iota...and I bet a lot of those grey haired nimbys you are so happy to mock, are in the same boat.
savagethegoat

Post by savagethegoat »

oh dear, ageism rising it's head lampooning both the young and the old.....

my own (eldest) daughter is just dragging herself on to the ladder...300 odd grand for a one bed flat.... gulp.... about 150% of what my minor mansion would cost.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Yeah the ageism and stereotyping doesn’t really make anyone look clever.

We need new homes. That’s undebatable. But Mayfield makes a very good point about services and capacity. They shouldn’t just blindly build homes with fingers crossed that it’ll all work out fine because it won’t. They should be forced to cough up and make a real community with the services it requires.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

I know one of those people in the forefront of that photo and he is a complete NIMBY. When he wanted to build a massive house only metres from the rear of my house it was all of course fine. Now someone wants to build a housing estate behind his 100 foot rear garden it is of course an issue.

I have neither objected or supported this application. I don’t like the fact that SODC are allowing building on the border but at the same time house prices are madness and something needs to be done!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

You are right about needing new homes, but look at the prices of the new homes just up the road at Sonning Common, thick end of half a million for a bungalow...how does that help the young ? And I doubt if there are more than the bare minimum quota of 'affordable' houses on that development ( please feel free to tell me I'm wrong )
Even if people just move up the ladder, the price of terraced houses and flats still make it difficult....

Return to “Property developments in Reading”