Your Local Weather - have your say

General chat forum
windrush
Super Contributor

Re: Your Local Weather - have your say

Post by windrush »

Raining hard here now and the hills have vanished. 'Rain moving west to east with squally showers' according to the weather lass, looks about right so far.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Its been hazily bright all day here in Basingstoke
There has been ‘wet’ in the gusty wind but no real rain – but enough ‘damp’ that the road outside hasn’t dried
Bluey / white / grey clouds are steadily blowing towards the East and I do get the odd little bit of blue sky through them

The forecast has been right and as it says clearing a bit by 4:00pm then hopefully a nice drive home

Sunshine and showers forecast for tomorrow
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Still very overcast and drizzling here :(
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

That’s annoying - I started writing this below then got called out to look at something in the workshop -

‘Well its now 2:45pm and I can see the sun reflecting off the building opposite, but not a lot lower down due to a large truck parked outside the window – but blue patches are also appearing’

Now back in the office after 30mins and its gone t’other way and looks quite dark out there!
Mind you a quick check and the forecast shows rain right now (but none yet) and still sunny with clouds at 4:00pm – so may strike lucky for home time yet…………………..
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Well, just about to leave work at 4:00pm last night and the sun came out as forecast, so apart from spray off the road which went part way as the roads started to dry, all in all it was a nice drive home

Today has started off nice as per forecast but it does say rain later
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

So far a bright, sunny but chill breeze. So wrapped up and did an hour in the garden, pruning and cutting back overgrown shrubs... although the weather’s still good, my back says ‘enough’.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

It’s just come over very dark and now a torrential downpour here in Basingstoke – but the forecast is showing light cloud and sun and no rain until later on

I think it’s come a bit earlier and heavy than they thought
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

It's dark and windy and chucking it down in sarf Reddin too.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 28 Oct 2020 14:49 It’s just come over very dark and now a torrential downpour here ...
Same here, massive black clouds now, with glaring sun poking through... should be a good rainbow somewhere.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Strange old day weatherwise - it’s been a complete turnaround all day form sunny almost cloudless blue sky through to full on dark / overcast BUT
Only 1 rain shower just after lunch - but lots of wind
I thought another one was coming a few moments ago, as heavy dark clouds came over but it’s gone back to blue sky with and sunshine and mixed clouds going past on the horizon

All as per the forecast so far – so hopefully a decent drive home
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

On the whole a sunny day, but with a biting wind :( Not too much rain so far.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Rain and wind all day here as forecast, however it did say that the south would be bright and dry so they were correct there as well. Tomorrow we have rain passing through from the south and clearing later, some frost expected on wednesday.

Pete.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Lovely bright sunshine this morning, a great day for drying the towels and bedding.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

My drive home last night was in pale sunlight and dry apart from one shower
About an hours after getting home it started raining and doesn't feel like its stopped since
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mist has cleared and it’s a glorious blue sky day... virtually no wind :clap3: and mildish. All very welcome when shopping in Woodley, which we’ve just been doing.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Not been bad here either, no fog but it's getting close to needing a coat (a 'top rod' cooler as they say here) when stopping outside for any length of time now.

Pete.
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

The local weather man has published his winter forecast.

A bit of technical stuff ("the polar vortex in the troposphere is a bit all over the place"),
intersperesed with some non-technical stuff ("some of this forecast will be wrong")
and then the forecast itself, which he summarizes as follows:

"December starts cold, fairly mixed from mid-month though good chance of a notable cold spell later. January mild, wet and windy. February dry – but uncertain . . . "

see more at https://readingweather.co.uk/winter-forecast-2020-21/
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Local weather today... foul!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

08.45 this morning. No sun. First of the snow. We managed a walk in the dry and before the gale.
20201204_100316.jpg
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Bam wrote: 04 Dec 2020 10:06 08.45 this morning. No sun. First of the snow. We managed a walk in the dry and before the gale.
.... someone wearing a mask Bam? What’re they going to catch out there?
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

piwacket wrote: 04 Dec 2020 10:10
Bam wrote: 04 Dec 2020 10:06
Only chillblanes Pi.

:cold:
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 04 Dec 2020 10:10
Bam wrote: 04 Dec 2020 10:06 08.45 this morning. No sun. First of the snow. We managed a walk in the dry and before the gale.
Looks more like a scarf against the temperature.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Some sleet falling here now, the east and south east of the country seem to have had 'proper snow' but only a sensation of it.

Pete.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Its been a sunny, if cold, day... good to see blue skies

Which meant we got an hour in the garden, cutting down more overgrown shrubs ready for the garden wheelie bin collection... almost all done now!ooh. But it was cold, but good to get out in the fresh air.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

:cold: :cold: :cold: ‘nuf sed!
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Now, regarding the weather and the SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming)
I have it on good authority (the factory weather man) that :
Reading Uni say it's started already (a really early one) and is an unusually long lasting reversal of the zonal winds but it's throwing a spanner in the models as the zonal winds are historically low which normally happens after and not before a SSW. The vortex deep column is over in the Asian side of Siberia (usually parks in Greenland and sends lows our way) - hence no Atlantic driven weather this Dec so it's a real roll of the dice what happens from here. A suggestion of a repeat of Winters 47 + 63 is there but no one really knows. The Antarctic vortex is also still going when usually it's quiet by now in austral summer. We could be staring down the barrel of an historic winter lasting till spring but the SSW could also mess up the cold setting in as well (getting colder for the next week). It's weird. Atlantic is blocked but there's no deep cold as it's over the other side of the northern hemisphere atm. Good chances for snow next week or so but not lasting and may pop up out of blue...but not a major cold spell ... Yet!
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

D5equj5 wrote: 30 Dec 2020 14:18 Now, regarding the weather and the SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming)....
.... and in words of two syllables....?
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

piwacket wrote: 30 Dec 2020 15:50
D5equj5 wrote: 30 Dec 2020 14:18 Now, regarding the weather and the SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming)....
.... and in words of two syllables....?
We may just be in line for a long cold Winter ... or we may not ... but the signs are there.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Snow! And not just a light dusting - a good three-quarters of an inch on the roofs, still coming down and starting to lay.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Bit of a surprise! Another ten mins under the duvet is called for 😊
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Snowflake..................... :whistle1:
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

OLDMAN wrote: 12 Apr 2021 09:18 Snowflake..................... :whistle1:
Oi, is Aliens are temperature sensitive y’know. Our metal bits get frost on and important bits seize......
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Sod’s law. I haven’t had to go out early for months, and today there I am sweeping snow off the car. To cap it all I had to go into town. It was heaving with people. Still the snow’s all gone and sun’s come out.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

No snow here, beautiful sunshine and a lineful of washing out 😊
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Frost on the windscreen this morning, but looking bright and sunny - hopefully significantly warmer later.

Return to “Chatty Person”