Your Local Weather - have your say

General chat forum
piwacket

Re: Your Local Weather - have your say

Post by piwacket »

KeithW wrote: 08 Oct 2020 14:03 In 'The Pilgrim's Progress', John Bunyan refers to the 'Slough of Despond'. How very true.
Yes, I’ve always thought it very apt :) John Betjeman described it well https://www.oatridge.co.uk/poems/j/john ... slough.php

It rained off and on till Noon, now it’s blue skies and breezy, quite pleasant really.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

When I was a child, living in Slough, I wrote to John Betjeman. He kindly wrote back, saying that he rather regretted being quite so rude about Slough, and mentioning a few buildings that he rather liked - including the churches of St Mary and St Laurence. I do so wish that I still had that letter! I have no idea what happened to it.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Avis wrote: 08 Oct 2020 19:45 When I was a child, living in Slough, I wrote to John Betjeman. He kindly wrote back, saying that he rather regretted being quite so rude about Slough, and mentioning a few buildings that he rather liked - including the churches of St Mary and St Laurence. I do so wish that I still had that letter! I have no idea what happened to it.
I was surprised to learn he wrote it in 1937! Back in the day when driving to London via Slough, the only way to make the trip through Slough ‘interesting’ was to try to beat the system of traffic lights :)) so I’d rather assumed it was written round about then.
What did you write to him - and great shame you’ve mislaid his reply.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

There are two villages near us called Upper and Lower Slaughter which sounds very blood thirsty but the Slaughter comes from the word slough which means muddy land, they’re both on the river .
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

[quote=piwacket post_id=308778

Back in the day when driving to London via Slough, the only way to make the trip through Slough ‘interesting’ was to try to beat the system of traffic lights
[/quote]

I remember those lights very well. They were later linked and if you stuck at 30 every light was green and that was the quickest way through.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Hazel Grove had linked lights, hit the first on green at 30 before 7am and you could get right through to Mersey Square in Stockport without stopping. Brilliant! Then pedestrians wanting to see what life was like on the opposite side of the street they were born on went and ruined it. :banghead:

Not a bad morning here but rain isn't far away and heading eastwards towards us.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Bam wrote: 09 Oct 2020 06:38 [quote=piwacket post_id=308778

Back in the day when driving to London via Slough, the only way to make the trip through Slough ‘interesting’ was to try to beat the system of traffic lights
I remember those lights very well. They were later linked and if you stuck at 30 every light was green and that was the quickest way through.
[/quote]

My Uncle worked at Citroen on Slough Trading Estate for many years and used to go home to Maidenhead for lunch ( imagine that ! ) Those lights kept the journey more 'interesting, and we would often be regaled with successes in getting through, or delays
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Mayfield wrote: 09 Oct 2020 09:05
Bam wrote: 09 Oct 2020 06:38 [quote=piwacket post_id=308778

My Uncle worked at Citroen on Slough Trading Estate for many years and used to go home to Maidenhead for lunch ( imagine that ! ) Those lights kept the journey more 'interesting, and we would often be regaled with successes in getting through, or delays
[/quote]

Not like the nonsense ones in Reading then? Deliberately programmed to change to red right under your nose even if there is nothing waiting on the "other phases". A sensible system is far too much for RBC to work out. Especially with one certain councillor in office.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Okay WTF is happening with the weather or more to the point the poor forecasting of it?
Sunday they got it right for Monday which wasn’t bad and the last forecast I saw said it was going to be okay on Tuesday but…………
Tuesday started very WET, but did clear later on, the we get a storm announced and possible yellow warnings for heavy rain and…………………
Wednesday, again started wet, and a lot of wind but not that bad, then cleared a bit, then a little rain later on but not bad although the forecast said more to come / maybe yellow warnings
Today - a couple of light showers on way in, very little wind and it’s been varying between almost clear blue sky to white or gey clouds blowing over – but no rain
It’s almost like ‘let’s forecast the worst’ and not get caught out with another ‘Fishy’ forecast…………

The wind is very gusty (almost dead at the moment) but has change direction in the last couple of hours
Yesterday it was almost exactly blowing North from here (NNE if anything) which is a straight line to Reading
Today the wind was blowing East but has turned a bit so now more NEE – very dark clouds right now but blue sky on the horizon

MET office says possibility of some light rain showers later / next few days but generally not looking bad - hope it stays like it then
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 22 Oct 2020 11:14 Okay WTF is happening with the weather or more to the point the poor forecasting of it?....
I’ve concluded they rarely forecast - more like they go outside, wet finger aloft and take it from there!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

To be honest ours is pretty accurate. It gives rain later for today, like yesterday and it did rain pm, and they got the sunrise and sunset pretty much spot on as well. It's very breezy today which again they forecast, and the sun has just come out as well so the curtains will need closing!

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 22 Oct 2020 11:39
OLDMAN wrote: 22 Oct 2020 11:14 Okay WTF is happening with the weather or more to the point the poor forecasting of it?....
I’ve concluded they rarely forecast - more like they go outside, wet finger aloft and take it from there!
Ah yes just like on the John Bird ‘Rise and Fall of Idi Amin’ album

Heer is de wedder repor fo Uganda
We ab jus gon on de ruuf ob de radio steetion and I eet am pi**in-it doon wid reen…………..
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 22 Oct 2020 11:53 To be honest ours is pretty accurate. It gives rain later for today, like yesterday and it did rain pm, and they got the sunrise and sunset pretty much spot on as well. It's very breezy today which again they forecast, and the sun has just come out as well so the curtains will need closing!

Pete.
TBH our local ones are usually pretty good but for seem reason this week have been a bit out
We take the national ones with a pinch of salt as so far off, and often contradict the local ones

I've just shut the blinds at work as the sun is annoyingly right in my eyes
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

OLDMAN wrote: 22 Oct 2020 11:14 Okay WTF is happening with the weather or more to the point the poor forecasting of it?
Sunday they got it right for Monday which wasn’t bad and the last forecast I saw said it was going to be okay on Tuesday but…………
Tuesday started very WET, but did clear later on, the we get a storm announced and possible yellow warnings for heavy rain and…………………
Wednesday, again started wet, and a lot of wind but not that bad, then cleared a bit, then a little rain later on but not bad although the forecast said more to come / maybe yellow warnings
Today - a couple of light showers on way in, very little wind and it’s been varying between almost clear blue sky to white or gey clouds blowing over – but no rain
It’s almost like ‘let’s forecast the worst’ and not get caught out with another ‘Fishy’ forecast…………

The wind is very gusty (almost dead at the moment) but has change direction in the last couple of hours
Yesterday it was almost exactly blowing North from here (NNE if anything) which is a straight line to Reading
Today the wind was blowing East but has turned a bit so now more NEE – very dark clouds right now but blue sky on the horizon

MET office says possibility of some light rain showers later / next few days but generally not looking bad - hope it stays like it then
Funny, I have the opposite experience. I checked the BBC weather website Monday, it said Tuesday morning would be wet - and it was. It said Weds morning would be very wet - and it was. It said today would be nice first thing, the showers later - accurate so far. Maybe somewhere there was enough rain for the yellow weather warning...funny how warm it is though, heating can't decide whether to be on or off...
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Well - whatever, it’s been a lovely, sunny Autumn day... mostly... bit of cloud around lunchtime.
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

Drove to Henley and back this afternoon (picking up an eBay purchase). It was glorious! All the colour coming into the trees and the light was perfect.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OH ‘hoovered’ up loads of leaves yesterday - hmm - with this wind, no not a breeze! - same amount are down today :whistle1:
But they’re staying there, or not, as it’s too horrid to go out there today!
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

piwacket wrote: 24 Oct 2020 15:10 OH ‘hoovered’ up loads of leaves yesterday - hmm - with this wind, no not a breeze! - same amount are down today :whistle1:
But they’re staying there, or not, as it’s too horrid to go out there today!
I have the great pleasure of sitting here, watching the trees blow in the wind and the leaves drifting down - knowing that they are someone else's problem! I live in a flat with communal gardens and a regular gardener - he went round the other day with a very noisy leaf blower and by the looks of things he will be at it again next week.

Decided not to bother setting foot outside today - lots to do indoors. I even dusted something!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Avis wrote: 24 Oct 2020 17:05 ... he went round the other day with a very noisy leaf blower and by the looks of things he will be at it again next week.

Decided not to bother setting foot outside today - lots to do indoors. I even dusted something!
... on the way to work I used to see the chap with a leaf blower on London Road which was often ankle deep in leaves.... blow them into a corner of a wall ... what is the point of a leaf blower... to move them from one place to the other :? Ours is a vacuum, which shreds them and the bag gets tipped into the wheelie bin.

Oh you dare devil Avis - dusting! :bigeyes1: did you ever see Quentin Crisp (John Hurt) on that subject?
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

I use a leaf sucker/shredder, a lad opposite blows them onto the road and then they end up in our yard! Been a wet afternoon and evening here so nothing done outside today but I did some work indoors on some of my miniature steam engines instead! :-)

Pete.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

piwacket wrote: 24 Oct 2020 20:24
Avis wrote: 24 Oct 2020 17:05 ... he went round the other day with a very noisy leaf blower and by the looks of things he will be at it again next week.

... on the way to work I used to see the chap with a leaf blower on London Road which was often ankle deep in leaves.... blow them into a corner of a wall ... what is the point of a leaf blower... to move them from one place to the other :? Ours is a vacuum, which shreds them and the bag gets tipped into the wheelie bin.

Oh you dare devil Avis - dusting! :bigeyes1: did you ever see Quentin Crisp (John Hurt) on that subject?
Despite lock down etc I have so far managed to avoid dusting, and worse, tackling the ironing mountain....
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

piwacket wrote: 24 Oct 2020 20:24

Actually, come to think of it, I have no idea if it was a blower or a vacuum - - just that it made a lot of noise!

I am currently in a rented flat, and someone will come round at some point to do inspections, so I have to make a bit of an effort on the housework front! I doubt if quoting Quentin Crisp will go down very well with the landlord!
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

Mayfield wrote: 24 Oct 2020 21:12
Despite lock down etc I have so far managed to avoid dusting, and worse, tackling the ironing mountain....
I don't have an ironing mountain, because I don't iron anything.

Ever.

Well, not since April 2106 when I broke my wrist. Couldn't pick up an iron then, or open up the ironing board. Never got back into the habit.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Avis wrote: 24 Oct 2020 22:01 ... an effort on the housework front! I doubt if quoting Quentin Crisp will go down very well with the landlord!
I didn’t have a Landlord in mind :)
Avis wrote: 24 Oct 2020 22:04 I don't have an ironing mountain, because I don't iron anything.

Ever.
Neither do I! Yes there are some things I iron, so I have a blitz occasionally... unlike my sister who’s OH still regularly wears shirts for instance, a clean one everyday! Both of us tend to wear mainly casual clothes these days... so the need for ironing is cut drastically :clap2:
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

My husband wears shirts as well as casual jumpers but as he does most of the ironing I don’t object 😄
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 24 Oct 2020 23:42 My husband wears shirts as well as casual jumpers but as he does most of the ironing I don’t object 😄
Great idea Liz!

When I worked full time, I sent everything, apart from underwear and jumpers to the Laundry. That was good too.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I remember finding out a friend ironed towels and knickers...why, oh why 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Erm, the Alledged does both, Mayfield 😱
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

My only contribution to ironing is repairing the ironing board and iron.

Years ago I was trained to press a suit using brown Manila paper in place of wet cloths, before steam irons were available.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

I iron nothing at all, never have and never will. My birthday suit has a few wrinkles in it now, but I fear that running an iron over it could cause it harm so will leave well alone and hope that eventually it will smooth itself out if I wear it for a few more years.

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 24 Oct 2020 20:45 I use a leaf sucker/shredder, a lad opposite blows them onto the road and then they end up in our yard! Been a wet afternoon and evening here so nothing done outside today but I did some work indoors on some of my miniature steam engines instead! :-)

Pete.
I’ve got a big old 3-way Black & Decker Vac / Blow version
It is vac / blow or has setting in-between the sort of jet blows into the vac!
It shreds a bit as well but mostly from the force of the vac
I tend to blow anything to clear into a corner, pick up big stuff by hand then vac the rest

The idea of just using a blower is to get it all in one place, then pick that up, although I’ve noticed a lot of time contractors etc just use one to blow the stuff back onto the grass verge etc after they have been cut to clear the paths or roadside
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Right now the sky has cleared and the sun is out – its mostly blue with a few light clouds blowing towards the East
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Rather a mixed day weather-wise after yesterdays almost summer like one. Plenty of heavy rain the further east we went, then it brightened up for a while and then some really heavy stuff with localised flooding. Back home now and it is dry at present.

Pete.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

As said on Chat, lovely day.... until about an hour after putting laundry on the line ... downpour! Saturated the washing, so moved the jumpers under the Verandah - then it cleared up to be a beautiful day again :banghead: Clear blue skies all afternoon!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Just as I got into Reading and home last night I noted a few puddles about - OH said it had rained a bit, but……………………I never saw any in Basingstoke all day!

And I’ve just noted a post I made yesterday afternoon (or thought I had) isn’t here so I’ve either put it elsewhere or it didn’t work……………….

Yesterday in Basingstoke it was mainly sun / blue sky / mix of wispy to full white clouds blowing over
So sunny I had to close the window blinds as couldn’t see!
Only odd bit was about mid-day when it cloud over completely for a couple of minutes – I did think it would rain but it blew over

So it was nice, dry, sunny all day and for the drive home just after 4:00pm – only wet I saw was the roads as I got home
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Chatty Person”