Your Local Weather - have your say

General chat forum
Pooneil

Re: Your Local Weather - have your say

Post by Pooneil »

And over half an inch more in the four and a half hours since.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Little better in the iom. About 1.5 inches since yesterday evening and still gurgling into the drains. But we missed the forecasted gale for this area, unless it is late arriving. Bright and dryer later, so they say.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

It rained steadily here for most of the day yesterday but there was no wind at all. Dry here now though, although some rain coming over from the east to the west may affect us later for a while.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

It did drop up for two or three hours around late morning/lunchtime yesterday, and even a little bit of sun.... not actually raining right now, but it doesn’t look far off ....
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Raining here, not as much as before but still unpleasant....
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Mayfield wrote: 04 Oct 2020 10:12 Raining here, not as much as before but still unpleasant....
I have just seen on Facebook the flooding in Emmer Green so they must have had a lot more rain that we have here?

Pete.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Well we now have blue sky and sunshine so it's getting better. Neighbours kids are outside on their trampoline. Just spoken to our friend in Pedmore and it's been raining there since friday, he isn't a happy bunny!

Pete.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

windrush wrote: 04 Oct 2020 10:24
Mayfield wrote: 04 Oct 2020 10:12 Raining here, not as much as before but still unpleasant....
I have just seen on Facebook the flooding in Emmer Green so they must have had a lot more rain that we have here?
Per Reading Uni weather station, we had an inch of rain on Friday, and inch and three-quarters yesterday, and we've already had over three-quarters of an inch today, so Over 3.5" since Friday.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Oh well, the rain arrived here about 30 minutes ago! Just a steady drizzle like yesterday, doesn't really matter much this time of the day though.

Pete.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Dinton Pastures has had to close because it has flooded.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Average rainfall for the entire month of October in Reading for the period 1980-2010 is 72.1 mm. We've had about 90mm since the start of Friday.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’m sure there’s someone who’ll be delighted.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Well it did rain here this afternoon...for all of ten minutes and then the sun came out again! My neighbour rushed out to bring her washing in, then came out later and put it back on the line again. :-)

Pete.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

It's raining again.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Dry and bright here again, possible rain later though. Still, it is needed.

Pete.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Dry and bright here too :) but rain expected later... it may have been needed a week ago, but surely we’ve had enough for a while.....
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Nice in Basingstoke right now, and has been for the last 2hrs
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

piwacket wrote: 05 Oct 2020 09:40 Dry and bright here too :) but rain expected later... it may have been needed a week ago, but surely we’ve had enough for a while.....
We haven't had enough yet Pi, only about ten minutes worth over the past few days but I understand some places have had a fair bit. I have just spoken to a chap in the next town (Belper) about ten miles away and it has been raining there for several hours.

Pete.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 05 Oct 2020 09:40Dry and bright here too :) but rain expected later... it may have been needed a week ago, but surely we’ve had enough for a while.....
Whilst we had a dry September, the 3 days of Friday to Sunday saw us getabout 125% of the entire average monthly rainfall.

Which prompted me to look at figures to see what this year has been like, compared to the period 1980-2010. Up until the end of the 1st October, we had had 107.55% of the average annual rainfall to that date. (Granted since this is a leap year, "normality would be 100.2% of that average), so in fact we're having a slightly wetter year than average. After our three day downpour, we're now up to over 126% of average. So I'm not minded to take any more lectures for a while about it being terribly dry and in danger of drought...
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

Yeah well you can prove anything with facts ;-)
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Rain finally arrived here mid afternoon, looks set in for the evening now. It's the type of rain that wets you as well.

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

It’s been a strange 4 days – Friday was wet to start, then dried up / brightened, then rain late evening / nearly all night
Saturday was similar and we even had bright sun in the afternoon that went back to rain late evening / nearly all night
Sunday was the same again but not so sunny in the afternoon
Yesterday was another repeat – and very sunny, so bad I had to close the office blinds as couldn’t see – lunchtime I popped to the local Screwfix to pick up my order balance and had the window open all the way there and back as quite warm in the car -it was the same when I went home just after 4:00pm and didn’t rain again until about 7:00pm, but has been on/off all night

This morning was damp underfoot but no rain yet – sitting here in Basingstoke and grey clouds are ‘racing’ over but do get glimpses of white ones and blue sky patches above them
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

No rain today and reasonably sunny intermittently. Chilly but not really cold. Looks like the same tomorrow is forecast. :)
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

We had a couple of heavy showers here.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Rain on and off here since lunchtime but not heavy, I managed to shop without getting wet.

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

It was cloudy / sunny all afternoon in Basingstoke and never saw rain
Going home it was bright and warm but part way to Bramley and the road was wet for a short stretch, and also got a few drops on the windscreen, enough for a flash of wipers now / then – it was then dry all the way until outskirts of Reading where I saw some more damp patches
OH said there had been a couple of showers
It didn’t seem to rain in the night / this morning and looks to be turning nice outside right now
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Rain here this morning but should brighten later.

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

It’s a sunny / blue sky with a few wispy clouds now - and a heady 12°
Rain forecast for later tonight
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

Glorious today - fresh and bright and breezy. Two loads of washing out on the line, and drying nicely!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

It was pleasant enough for me to transfer the cuttings to my new little greenhouse without a coat, I,ve lots more garden stuff to do so hope it’s nice tomorrow.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

It's been raining heavily here since early evening and has become very windy as well. Our road has assumed river status so I assume the the gulley under the road on the sough across the way is possibly blocked with tree branches etc and water is taking the easy route over the top of it. The road still hasn't been resurfaced since it happened earlier in the year, but it is the responsibility of the home owners to repair it and not the council.

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Yesterday was very nice all day with blue sky / sun /light cloud but it started raining late evening and has been on/off all night
It didn’t rain non my way in but there was a bit of spray
Since then it been on/off but mostly in the wind

Now Pete – I know what sough means but cannot figure it out in your comment?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

OLDMAN wrote: 08 Oct 2020 09:32 Yesterday was very nice all day with blue sky / sun /light cloud but it started raining late evening and has been on/off all night
It didn’t rain non my way in but there was a bit of spray
Since then it been on/off but mostly in the wind

Now Pete – I know what sough means but cannot figure it out in your comment?
Well the whole hillside in our town has a series of soughs (or channels) to carry excess water from the land on the top of the hill down into the river Derwent, they are mostly below ground but a few are visible for part of their run and appear in gardens as a 'water feature' and tend to get blocked with debris during summer when they are dry. If they get blocked then the water appears in the houses under which they run, however it is the homeowners who are responsible for keeping them clear and not the water authority who own them! The one near us runs across the road when blocked and tears the tarmac up, it has been resurfaced several time while we have lived here and again the homeowners involved (not us luckily!) are responsible for repairing the damage. I believe they got named 'soughs' a century or more ago as the rushing water made a noise similar to a breeze, our deeds go back to the 1860's and they are called that back then? The outlets are normally marked up as 'spaws' and some have very decorative stonework on them with the names inscribed, 'Allen Hill Spaw' is one near the town centre.

MC-Lost-Houses-Allen-Hill-Mar20-2.jpg
Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Ah, must admit I’ve never heard them called a sough, but have known people call them a slough so, maybe a play on the word
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

In 'The Pilgrim's Progress', John Bunyan refers to the 'Slough of Despond'. How very true.

Return to “Chatty Person”