BRISTOL & WEST Arcade proposals

windrush
Super Contributor

Re: BRISTOL & WEST Arcade proposals

Post by windrush »

maggieaitch wrote: 24 Jul 2017 21:24 I seem to remember that Hill's in Broad St, had prams and baby goods on the lower ground floor ( basement ). We bought the pram for our first child there in 1959. I think the ground floor was leather goods, travel cases etc. and fancy gifts. The toys were on the first floor.
Correct Maggie, my pram came from there courtesy of my Aunt. As I said previously she managed the baby section. Around 1951/52 I guess, it was a London Baby Coach in deep blue, quite expensive I believe but she thought the World of me bless her! :whistle1: The toys were definately upstairs, I remember the large Britains military section.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

The planning application has now been submitted. It's now a split of offices and flats. Further details here:
http://readingonthames.com/2018/04/07/m ... submitted/

They look like very promising plans to me, hopefully this one gets further than the last scheme that was abandoned shortly after beginning construction.
Bob deBilda

Post by Bob deBilda »

That looks very ugly and out of place. I wonder what their real intentions are?

Regards
Bob
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Nice from the front but not so keen on the style of the top floors. But at least it’s not dull.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

I admit to being wrong about Thames Tower (it looks great) but that was because I thought it too bold. Conversely this one needs more daring.
pwpriory
Super Contributor

Post by pwpriory »

I am not at all happy about what seems to me to be the gratuitous demolition of the frontage in Friar Street. To me it is pleasing rather than exceptional. Pleasing things are important, not least because Reading has already lost so much.

Comments are invited at

http://planning.reading.gov.uk/fastweb_ ... Ref=180358

I have written

"The present Georgian style frontage in Friar Street goes well with others of the same kind on M&S and the old PO. I can see no good reason why it could not have been retained. I can see nothing of merit in its replacement in this scheme"
Attachments
Bristol &W Arcade proposals10 elevation-Friar Street.jpg
Bristol &W Arcade proposals9.jpg
Bristol &W Arcade proposals4.jpg
Bristol &W Arcade proposals4.jpg (44.99 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

the site is certainly a mess now, but the look from Friar St won't look any better with the new frontage. In fact the new frontage is pretty awful typical of the peg concrete and glass as has been gumped on many sites in the last 20nyears
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I admit that I am no fun of mock Georgian or fake "heritage" they could make an efffort to make the frontage blend in with the surroundings
thegoodmrbrodie!
Contributor

Post by thegoodmrbrodie! »

whatever gets it open quickly works for me.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

I, too, am keen to see the current frontage retained. Whatever time the current facade was built, it blends in well with the street scene and contributes to the red-brick, historical appearance around the town hall.

Also, the proposals remind me of the ugly Novotel building on Friar Street, with its abrupt edges and stepped design. Albeit, they do look nicer along the back of the structure compared to Novotel.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Looks promising
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

pwpriory
Super Contributor

Post by pwpriory »

Thought I might be viewed as a sentimentalist but I am gratified to see on the Planning Comments site (see above) that the only comments in addition to mine so far are:

1.Please retain this red brick frontage. I have always thought that this area
around the town hall is
stunning. Please preserve Readings red bricks and heritage. The new building designs look dreadful and will soon
date. The new building will probably be an eyesaw in 30 years time but the existing building (if preserved) will still
look lovely
- probably even more
-so. Please, please keep the frontage and redevelop just the interior.

2.Generally supportive, welcome the right of way through the site, and the sympathetic nature of the
extensions into the yard,
and think the revised balance of uses is an improvement. Still dislike the frontage on to
Friar St, especially the cream colour which matches nothing else in the area and clashes visually with the town hall
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

I tend to agree with these comments insofar as building materials are concerned. Any new building on the site should have a brick-faced facade. But I don't think the existing facade is otherwise anything special, certainly not lovely, and I don't see any reason to lumber the developers with trying to save it. Especially as that will probably result in the loss of all the positive features of the development (the courtyard and links to the Coopers and Market Way). I will try and work out some words to say that in a planning-appropriate way.
flatback
Super Contributor

Post by flatback »

chris_j_wood wrote: 09 Apr 2018 11:44 I tend to agree with these comments insofar as building materials are concerned. Any new building on the site should have a brick-faced facade. But I don't think the existing facade is otherwise anything special, certainly not lovely, and I don't see any reason to lumber the developers with trying to save it. Especially as that will probably result in the loss of all the positive features of the development (the courtyard and links to the Coopers and Market Way). I will try and work out some words to say that in a planning-appropriate way.
I would agree that the frontage in Friar St is nothing special IN ITSELF, but it is pleasant enough and, more importantly, it GOES WITH the other buildings in the area (unlike many of the new constructions and certainly the new proposal !!)

I see nothing wrong with expecting developers to keep old frontages or at least say WHY they can't retain them (there were unanswered objections at the exhibition last year)
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

flatback wrote: 09 Apr 2018 14:08
chris_j_wood wrote: 09 Apr 2018 11:44 I tend to agree with these comments insofar as building materials are concerned. Any new building on the site should have a brick-faced facade. But I don't think the existing facade is otherwise anything special, certainly not lovely, and I don't see any reason to lumber the developers with trying to save it. Especially as that will probably result in the loss of all the positive features of the development (the courtyard and links to the Coopers and Market Way). I will try and work out some words to say that in a planning-appropriate way.
I would agree that the frontage in Friar St is nothing special IN ITSELF, but it is pleasant enough and, more importantly, it GOES WITH the other buildings in the area (unlike many of the new constructions and certainly the new proposal !!)

I see nothing wrong with expecting developers to keep old frontages or at least say WHY they can't retain them (there were unanswered objections at the exhibition last year)
Not sure, but might be due to their proposal to bring the building frontage forward to match the adjacent building. There is currently a fairly deep recess to the arcade.

Given the area of this extension, and over more than one floor, the expanded floor space would be quite significant.
pwpriory
Super Contributor

Post by pwpriory »

What do you make of this re objections to the B & W ?

"For anyone to be refused planning permission it has be for reasons laid out in the laws of town and country planning. No matter how many people do not like or want it, that is not a valid reason to refuse consent, sadly. The local authority need to have an "approved local plan" to have any chance of refusing a development that does not fit with this plan."

Any comments ? Does RBC have an "approved local plan" ?
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

If they exist, the approved local plan should either be on the RBC website or available under an FOI request?
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

pwpriory wrote: 10 Apr 2018 08:33 What do you make of this re objections to the B & W ?

"For anyone to be refused planning permission it has be for reasons laid out in the laws of town and country planning. No matter how many people do not like or want it, that is not a valid reason to refuse consent, sadly. The local authority need to have an "approved local plan" to have any chance of refusing a development that does not fit with this plan."

This is a link to the current one and associated docs. Set aside a few hours or days to assimilate! There’s a new one taking us up to 2036, which is out for examination by the inspector.
http://www.reading.gov.uk/readingldf
Shockabuku
Super Contributor

Post by Shockabuku »

MickEdge wrote: 10 Apr 2018 15:56
pwpriory wrote: 10 Apr 2018 08:33 What do you make of this re objections to the B & W ?

This is a link to the current one and associated docs. Set aside a few hours or days to assimilate! There’s a new one taking us up to 2036, which is out for examination by the inspector.
http://www.reading.gov.uk/readingldf
Apparently the new proposed Local Plan was submitted to the Secretary of State at the end of last month. Here it is:
http://www.reading.gov.uk/localplanexamination
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

I always thought the Bristol & West Arcade would be great if it was something akin to this old arcade in Brixton, Brixton Village.

OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Nice - there's a similar one in Westbourne
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Melchett wrote: 17 Apr 2018 11:02 I always thought the Bristol & West Arcade would be great if it was something akin to this old arcade in Brixton, Brixton Village.
Good grief, that area has changed a bit since I worked there in the early 1980s. Back then Atlantic Road (where this is) and Railton Road were called the "front line" and you went down there at your peril. Especially after this, where the lead picture is about 10 yards from the second of Melchett's.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Someone has been at the hoarding on the alleyway leading to the back of Sainsburys. Noticed today a large section had been ripped off leaving place open to addicts etc
pwpriory
Super Contributor

Post by pwpriory »

Well, it's got some unfavourable mentions in the papers. I hadn't realised, until I saw this view from the Forbury direction, how the "stacked cubes" effect reminds one of a certain hotel (also in Friar Street !)

And then, as previously, stated, there is the " unfortunate" replacement of the frontage. Don't forget to write in !http://planning.reading.gov.uk/fastweb_ ... Ref=180358
Attachments
P1070613.JPG
P1070612.JPG
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

You’re famous!

Edit: Ah I see that wasn’t your comment. Never mind!
pwpriory
Super Contributor

Post by pwpriory »

ReadingT wrote: 20 Apr 2018 22:06 You’re famous!

Edit: Ah I see that wasn’t your comment. Never mind!
Yes, I thought it was quoting me for a moment ! But I don't think I could really claim that ANY part of Friar Street is "STUNNING" :dancd1:
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

The Oasis wasn’t a pub it was a cafè in Gun Street (or was it Minster Street?) behind Heelas anyway. The owner was certainly Greek, I used to get lunch there in the 60s but it hasn’t been there for years.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Yola

Post by Yola »

The current frontage has a really nice 30's feel to it, an architecture which isn't being as lauded or preserved as much as the more high profile Georgian/Victorian/Edwardian styles. And this town bangs a drum for 'heritage'? Nope. Only if significant amounts of funding is provided by 3rd parties, otherwise it bows to the first developer who comes along. Sad really.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

lizwing wrote: 25 Jun 2018 22:17 The Oasis wasn’t a pub it was a cafè in Gun Street (or was it Minster Street?) behind Heelas anyway. The owner was certainly Greek, I used to get lunch there in the 60s but it hasn’t been there for years.
There was a pub in Baker St called the Oasis

It closed a few years back and got taken over as a community centre

Most of the bar / interior is still intact but refurbished
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
pwpriory
Super Contributor

Post by pwpriory »

Yola wrote: 26 Jun 2018 08:50 The current frontage has a really nice 30's feel to it, an architecture which isn't being as lauded or preserved as much as the more high profile Georgian/Victorian/Edwardian styles. And this town bangs a drum for 'heritage'? Nope. Only if significant amounts of funding is provided by 3rd parties, otherwise it bows to the first developer who comes along. Sad really.
Certainly agree - and there are several buildings in that square (old PO, Marks & S) which have a similar frontage, making a nice area

Isn't it the kind of "Mock Georgian" which has been so popular with house buyers for so long ?

It's not just individual "listed" buildings which are important, but often the general effect ! That's what I've said in my objection
Attachments
Bristol &W Arcade proposals9.jpg
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

It is very typical of the post-war neo-Georgian buildings which are maybe not exciting but are solid, respectful of their surroundings, and unobtrusive. Unfortunately, this means that they are often overlooked until it is too late.

The B&W building has very nice detailing around its central windows, which sets it apart from the crowd, if only people would look up and appreciate it. I am guessing from the style that it is mid-50s?

bw1.PNG
And what about the building next door, to the left when facing the building? It is similar in its placement of windows, but I am guessing it is older?

bw2.PNG
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

I would really like to see the retention of the building facade. Seeing those photos posted above, they do seem to blend in well with the historic context, and I feel there is a modest elegance to the current design.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

ash wrote: 27 Jun 2018 00:02 I would really like to see the retention of the building facade. Seeing those photos posted above, they do seem to blend in well with the historic context, and I feel there is a modest elegance to the current design.
I do agree the old facade is a good example of the period, but I suspect the extra cost of retaining it might be too much for the developers and I wouldn’t like to see the development stall. Whilst getting the improvements to this area right are important, it has been in a poor state for far too long. It would be a shame to lose the old facade, but it’s not that fine and the M&S one is similar, though not as good. Overall the proposals are very exciting and will greatly improve that part of the town.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Slight change...

The plans for the old Bristol & West Arcade have reverted to a red frontage.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”