The Foundry Quarter (Weldale Street)

zag

The Foundry Quarter (Weldale Street)

Post by zag »

Looks like a nice new development in a run down area of town.

Status
Planning (Approved)

Description
Plans for a £120m redevelopment of the Wickes and Iceland sites in Reading town centre will be unveiled this week.

An exhibition at Greyfriars Church on Thursday, February 9, will be a first look at the planned transformation of run-down units on Weldale Street into The Foundry Quarter.

The Wickes site is at the centre of the proposed development of 429 homes and shops, public space and walkways by Crossmark Developments on behalf of Ropemaker Properties.

weldale.jpg
http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/proper ... s-12572070
ash
Super Contributor

Re: The Foundry Quarter (Weldale Street)

Post by ash »

Good to see this run down area regenerated, just hope that they provide adequate parking underground and upgrade local infrastructure/services. Wishful thinking, I believe!
cmcardle75
Super Contributor

Post by cmcardle75 »

Quite low rise for this part of town.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

cmcardle75 wrote: 08 Feb 2017 18:29 Quite low rise for this part of town.
Yeah I was expecting something higher than the modest tower at Chatham Place, especially given its position to the north.
2sheds
Super Contributor

Post by 2sheds »

It's outside of the tall building zone as designated by the local plan and council. Daft really as every application should be on its own merit and a tall building there is more appropriate than right next to Kings Meadow where the Coopers site is.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Why is it called The Foundry Quarter?
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 08 Feb 2017 22:08 Why is it called The Foundry Quarter?
...and why is it called "nice" :?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

Some connection between Weldale and welder?
Proximity to Drew's The Ironmonger?

Good question...
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

An arty pretentious tosspot in the developer's office? (Even if there once was a foundry there - about which I have no clue - it sounds somewhat contrived and effete. No doubt the Homebase/Toys'R'Us site would be described as being "on the sought-after Kennet left bank" or some other tosh... :wink: )
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I'm sure there's a good reason for all these flats, but when are we going to have more traditional family homes ?
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I don't remember a foundry on that site, someone must have a book on the history of Reading which would tell us. In Cheltenham there's a Brewery Quarter but that is actually on the site of the Brewery.
BY Paulo Coelho
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

Mayfield wrote: 08 Feb 2017 22:45 I'm sure there's a good reason for all these flats, but when are we going to have more traditional family homes ?
There are lots of traditional family homes being built in suburban Reading - for the last century suburbs have been the 'traditional' place for families with children to want to live.

As a proportion of the total, the number of households with children in them is lower than ever, and falling. The number of single-person households higher than ever.

Total households in the UK - 27 million
Of which 8 million are either single person, or groups of unrelated people sharing.
That leaves 19 million 'families' - couples (married or not) and those with children at home.
Of those families, only 8 million have children living with them.
Of the families with children, over 40% have only one child.
That leaves 4.5 million households with two or more children, against 22.5 million that don't really need more than two bedrooms.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

As others have said, I really think this could and should be a taller development. I think it would look better too.

Someone mentioned it being outside of some boundary, so I guess that means there's a height limit?
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

More tiny flats that will be overpriced. A sign of the times in the terrible property market.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

T'is the modern way.

I don't like the name "The Foundry Quarter". Looks too similar to "Forbury"

They should name it "The old Iceland quarter"
Lw.

Post by Lw. »

Is there any such thing as overpriced in a free market?

If they sell they're fairly priced for the market (arguably underpriced, depending on speed of sale). If they don't sell then you'll be correct but then the price will move to reflect the market.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

If they'd called it the Foudry, it would at least at local connections to the Brook.
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Lw. wrote: 10 Feb 2017 10:53 Is there any such thing as overpriced in a free market?

If they sell they're fairly priced for the market (arguably underpriced, depending on speed of sale). If they don't sell then you'll be correct but then the price will move to reflect the market.
Yes of course. I'll change it, even though I'm sure you knew what I meant...

"More tiny flats that will be overpriced for real people who want to get on the property ladder instead of large companies looking to buy-to-let"

Okay?
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Was the name of the brook originally Foundry Brook, Ollycat? If so then maybe there was a foundry servicing the Abbey. That might explain the choice of name.
BY Paulo Coelho
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Ollycat wrote: 10 Feb 2017 17:33 If they'd called it the Foudry, it would at least at local connections to the Brook.
But the Foudry Brook doesn't go anywhere near Weldale Street. In fact, the Foudry Quarter would have been a splendid name for the Kennet Island development, which isn't an island and is nearer the Foudry Brook than it is the River Kennet.

As to what the connection between Weldale Street and Foundries is, your guess is as good as mine.
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

I popped into the exhibition. Not a great deal more to report - write-up here:
http://readingonthames.com/2017/02/10/f ... eldale-st/

The name is just about connecting into Reading's manufacturing past. I guess it's more imaginative than just "Weldale Street"!
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

peterson wrote: 11 Feb 2017 00:05 I popped into the exhibition. Not a great deal more to report - write-up here:

The name is just about connecting into Reading's manufacturing past. I guess it's more imaginative than just "Weldale Street"!
Thanks for info and write up.

Can't believe it's just 12 floors and that council refuses a higher tower next to IDR.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

peterson wrote: 11 Feb 2017 00:05 I popped into the exhibition. Not a great deal more to report - write-up here:

Good stuff.

It looks outdated already and it's not even been built! I suppose it's the lack of originality that gets me. The new Chatham Place tower already looks old and boring too with the white/grey colour scheme.
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

With regard to the name Foundry Quarter, it seems that until the mid c18th, Reading was famous for bell founding. There were 2 or even three founders at work in the town and from a quick search, l believe that several Reading bells survive to this day.

Sadly, l have no idea where the works were situated, but if anyone is interested, there is plenty of info on the net. I quite like the Foundry name. It even appears to ring true.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

🙄🙄🙄

the old ones are the best !!!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Interesting BW, that would explain it.
BY Paulo Coelho
bluemondayuk
Super Contributor

Post by bluemondayuk »

I was at the exhibition and asked about the 'forge'. The basic reply was "well there's been industry down there, so we thought that'd do for a name"

I wouldn't go looking for a sepcific connection - the developers just appear to have taken it off the buzzword shelf with the minimum of thought.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Pathetic, obviously people who have no knowledge of or interest in the history of the town. 'QUARTER' is evidently the word of the year for planners. Perhaps they think it'll make the completely characterless things they build sound more interesting.
BY Paulo Coelho
Bob deBilda

Post by Bob deBilda »

Because it sounds better than the abattoir's quarter?

Regards
Bob
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

Are we going to run out of Quarters?

Maybe we should switch to "Fifths or Eighths"

The Foundry Fifth sounds good
Bob deBilda

Post by Bob deBilda »

I think the area should be called 'Greater Knolly'.

Regards
Bob
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

lizwing wrote: 11 Feb 2017 15:35 Pathetic, obviously people who have no knowledge of or interest in the history of the town. 'QUARTER' is evidently the word of the year for planners. Perhaps they think it'll make the completely characterless things they build sound more interesting.
Hanging and Drawing can't be far off.

In doing a little more research, I am surprised by just how important the Reading bell foundries were. Ellis and Knight are two prominent names but there were at least 3 different concerns operating just after the Middle Ages. Wokingham also had it own foundry and still has a Bell Foundry Lane to commemorate this past activity.

I can't find any clues to location, perhaps a visit to the Central Library would help. That's a little far for me, but if anyone is passing...
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Or if anyone on here actually works in the Library.. :whistle1:
BY Paulo Coelho
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Didnt want to start a new thread so put it here - 500 flats weldale street, 137 old sainsbury's and now an application for another 43 on Greyfriars Rd, that is close to 700 flats , that is going to need extra infrastructure like Dr's, Dentists & schools - I think some of the old civic centre site could be best used to provide this in the close locality on land already publically owned built using the s106/infrastructure levy. Obviously it means the council can't make the same money form the property sale - but does anyone who knows more than me think that these support requirements can be met in another way ?
zag

Post by zag »

ReadingBiker wrote: 23 Feb 2017 10:54 Didnt want to start a new thread so put it here - 500 flats weldale street, 137 old sainsbury's and now an application for another 43 on Greyfriars Rd, that is close to 700 flats , that is going to need extra infrastructure like Dr's, Dentists & schools - I think some of the old civic centre site could be best used to provide this in the close locality on land already publically owned built using the s106/infrastructure levy. Obviously it means the council can't make the same money form the property sale - but does anyone who knows more than me think that these support requirements can be met in another way ?
Yep indeed, but that's progress for you. I know when I used to live in RG1 the GP over at Chatham Street was massively oversubscribed and thats before all these new flats are built.

But saying that, more people want to live in the town center simply because of the great transport links and the fact developers can't build on Greenfield land in the UK. Its a choice we made a long time ago and our cities are going to massively expand because of it. Brownfield land in Reading is plentiful with lots of little used areas needing a rebuild.

One would hope the developer contributions go into what is really needed such as schools and GP surgeries, rather than filling the overspend from the local Labour council.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”