Jackson's Corner - to be a new "restaurant quarter"?

Pooneil

Re: Jackson's Corner - to be a new "restaurant quarter"?

Post by Pooneil »

I could definitely go for that - spent 6 months working in Peru and loved some of the food out there; ceviche, jalea, anticuchos de corazon, all washed down with some Cusquena beer and maybe a Pisco Sour or two. Bring it on!
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
readingguy

Post by readingguy »

I agree! It will be great to have a cuisine that's not been represented before in Reading (to my knowledge).
Last edited by readingguy on 22 Dec 2017 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

No cuy on the menu though. Very disappointing.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
readingguy

Post by readingguy »

Fed-up wrote: 22 Dec 2017 16:16 No cuy on the menu though. Very disappointing.
Haha. I had one in Peru once, the meat was fine although there wasn't much of it. It was ruined with coriander though.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Coincidentally I found it to be a bit like guinea fowl - small, greasy and full of fiddly little bones. Didn't bother to have it a second time!
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

I found it quite tasty, if lacking in quantity.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
thegoodmrbrodie!
Contributor

Post by thegoodmrbrodie! »

doesn't look like any work is actually taking place at Jacksons though. Been dead for months.
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

There was actually some activity a week ago, for a couple of days. Workmen filling up a lorry with old wood etc, but yes the whole site has been eerily quiet since the hoardings went up. Wonder if they've lined up a replacement for Busaba Eathai yet?
readingguy

Post by readingguy »

Jack Strop wrote: 24 Dec 2017 07:34 There was actually some activity a week ago, for a couple of days. Workmen filling up a lorry with old wood etc, but yes the whole site has been eerily quiet since the hoardings went up. Wonder if they've lined up a replacement for Busaba Eathai yet?
They've pulled out? Source?
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

The new restuarants that have opened near by are very pricy!
Not sure who the punters are but I students and locals will struggle to afford the London prices of the burgers.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

GaryyHill wrote: 10 Jan 2018 18:55 The new restuarants that have opened near by are very pricy!
Not sure who the punters are but I students and locals will struggle to afford the London prices of the burgers.
“London prices of the burgers” 😂
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

I don't understand who buys these burgers that are 6 inches thick. How the hell do you eat them? A whopper does me! I'm cheap, what can I say?
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

I wish they'd hurry up and do something with it - the hoardings make the narrow pavements even narrower, especially when the bus stops are busy with people waiting.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

bert wrote: 16 Jan 2018 11:13 I wish they'd hurry up and do something with it - the hoardings make the narrow pavements even narrower, especially when the bus stops are busy with people waiting.
I agree. Even before the hoardings went up, there was not really enough space for the bus stops there. I often catch the bus there, and sometimes you get three buses at the stop, with dozens of people struggling to board the right one or wait for one of the other routes that serve the stop. Then you get Mums with double buggies trying to get the library and the result is something close to a riot.

I seem to recall plans to redesign that bit of road to provide wider pavements and more space for the bus stops. But not sure what happened to it.
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

^Yep, I agree, Chris. It's a bit of an accident waiting to happen I think, folk have to duck down on the roads or walk between the bus shelter and road and could quite easily see someone getting clipped by a bus. Hopefully the Jackson's developers get round to sorting something out soon.
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

There's been more activity over the last few days. Still the same relatively small van, piled high with old timber, but looking through the hoarding entrance, there seems to have been some quite extensive demolition inside Jacksons.
adam1983

Post by adam1983 »

I was passing Jackson's corner today and got this photo taken from behind. Seems they cleared a lot of old Victorian extensions
Attachments
Behind Jackson's corner
Behind Jackson's corner
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

There has been a long running thread of FB about this by a good gentleman named Callum Cromwell who also gets / posts some good images
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Old.Rea ... &ref=notif

On item of note is that most of what has been knocked down was behind the front facia / building (which hasn’t been touched) and was mostly ‘later’ built warehouse type structures / store areas etc

2 images from the FB thread showing that -
JC 1.jpg
JC 2.jpg
-
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
pwpriory
Super Contributor

Post by pwpriory »

chris_j_wood wrote: 16 Jan 2018 11:31

I agree. Even before the hoardings went up, there was not really enough space for the bus stops there. I often catch the bus there, and sometimes you get three buses at the stop, with dozens of people struggling to board the right one or wait for one of the other routes that serve the stop. Then you get Mums with double buggies trying to get the library and the result is something close to a riot.

I seem to recall plans to redesign that bit of road to provide wider pavements and more space for the bus stops. But not sure what happened to it.
Quite agree - it's been a disgrace for a long time. There's hardly any traffic in that road apart from buses. It could indeed be much improved with wide pavements and perhaps even a few TREES. It could even become quite an attractive stretch of road !
Bob deBilda

Post by Bob deBilda »

pwpriory wrote: 09 Feb 2018 08:48 Quite agree - it's been a disgrace for a long time. There's hardly any traffic in that road apart from buses. It could indeed be much improved with wide pavements and perhaps even a few TREES. It could even become quite an attractive stretch of road !
They should not have put the traffic island there, then the footway could have been widened.

Regards
Bob
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Work on Jackson's seems astonishingly slow. Nothing happens apart from occasional visits by a small lorry with bits of wood etc. being carried out. Looking in the door last week they still appear to be slowly clearing the space at the back. It is almost like a DIY development with someone working in their spare time.

I would have expected the demolition of the buildings at the back and clearance to take a few weeks and work proper to have started on the buildings on the street months ago. Someone has paid money to buy the site and would want to get on with things as soon as possible to get a return. Or maybe they have money problems?

Does anyone know what is going on?
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Somebody owns the site but it may be that they are having trouble getting tenants for the proposed restaurant spaces. I have heard stories that the proposed rents for units there were very high, which at a time when the "casual dining" sector is struggling may well be putting potential tenants off. It may well therefore be that the clearance is being organised by the site owner, and having no immediate tenants (or income from the site) it may be that he's getting it done on the cheap by a builder who is coming along and doing the odd bit when he's quiet between bigger jobs, rather than the owner paying out more cash to get it done at full speed because there's nobody itching to move in.
Just a theory.
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

Pooneil wrote: 17 Apr 2018 08:49 Somebody owns the site but it may be that they are having trouble getting tenants for the proposed restaurant spaces.
That wouldn't surprise me, but there are only three restaurants and thirty-odd flats. You'd think they'd want to get the flats completed even if they didn't complete the restaurants.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Agreed.
Presumably any kitchen area would be finished to a certain level with gas and water plumbed and walls ceilings and extraction to the outside fitted, even if final equipment positioning was left to the tenants. Also makes sense to supply certain facilities back to back. Once that has been done, any disruption due to fit out is minimised to the residents

The restaurant space can also be used as a space for the building work facilities when working on the flats/ adding a new roof
I am no builder but I would have thought that a quick completion of the residential work and fabric of the building would bring in cash and allow more time to find tenants for the food side. There is no doubt that the flats would sell quickly .
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Have any formal planning applications gone in yet?

Had a quickie look and cannot see anything on the portal
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

OLDMAN wrote: 17 Apr 2018 09:36 Have any formal planning applications gone in yet?

Had a quickie look and cannot see anything on the portal
There have been two versions approved, the latest being 171238.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Cheers - I did a search just on Kings Rd and it didn't come up with this one!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

Noticed that they've begun assembling a crane, in the space behind the Jackson's Corner frontage, this week.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Jack Strop wrote: 03 May 2018 12:21 Noticed that they've begun assembling a crane, in the space behind the Jackson's Corner frontage, this week.
They need that to lift big stuff up and over the frontage etc. as it won't go through the building

And guessing that may lead to some road closures during the times they lift really big stuff in
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Interesting development.

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/counc ... n-reading/

I assume the officer(s) responsible will not get any Christmas bonus this year.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
rolew
Super Contributor

Post by rolew »

He will get a backhander from the developer.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

C.A.Versham wrote: 10 Oct 2018 15:36 Interesting development.

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/counc ... n-reading/

I assume the officer(s) responsible will not get any Christmas bonus this year.
“affordable housing” - in the Jacksons Corner site?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

rolew wrote: 10 Oct 2018 16:23 He will get a backhander from the developer.
I second that.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

"Mistakes " in planning are like mysterious fires which so often occur in listed buildings.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

buseng wrote: 10 Oct 2018 20:25
rolew wrote: 10 Oct 2018 16:23 He will get a backhander from the developer.
I second that.
Given the large number of Planning applications that the council has to process it’s hardly surprising that there won’t be some mistakes, even serious ones like this, but it is simply mischievous and libellous to accuse them of corruption.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”