L&Q Homebase & Toys R Us Redevelopment (Kenavon Drive)

OLDMAN

Re: Homebase and Toys R Us Redevelopment

Post by OLDMAN »

750 homes, a supermarket, a nursery and restaurant on the bank of the Kennet and Avon Canal

No worry about traffic as there won't be room for cars with the lot in there!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Stewart
Super Contributor

Post by Stewart »

Here is the latest on the story from Geteading

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... t-11987590
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
zag

Post by zag »

Nice picture in that article

This is prime real estate at the end of the day, right on the riverside.
JS101651034.jpg
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

Think that looks pretty good to me
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

bobby1413 wrote:Think that looks pretty good to me
It won't look like that. :-P
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

ReadingT wrote:
bobby1413 wrote:Think that looks pretty good to me
It won't look like that. :-P
At least they have drawn cloudy skies, without a glimmer of sky blue. That's accuracy for most of the time in Britain :whistle1:
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

True! :roflol3:

Regarding this development and traffic: I usually drive past the prison at about 7.20 and there is always traffic but mostly fluid. Today I was a bit later at 7.35 and it was chockablock all the way back to the Apex Plaza roundabout. I came back that way at 9ish and it was worse. People who don't think this development will affect traffic further are living on the moon.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

ReadingT wrote:True! :roflol3:

Regarding this development and traffic: I usually drive past the prison at about 7.20 and there is always traffic but mostly fluid. Today I was a bit later at 7.35 and it was chockablock all the way back to the Apex Plaza roundabout. I came back that way at 9ish and it was worse. People who don't think this development will affect traffic further are living on the moon.
Er, the M4 was shut from 3am this morning and still is so far as I know, and shed loads more traffic was/is funnelling all through town.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Bannock wrote:

Er, the M4 was shut from 3am this morning and still is so far as I know, and shed loads more traffic was/is funnelling all through town.
Shut between 11 & 10, so don't know why it affects Reading so much?
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Becasue knowing J11 was solid with everyone being funneled off the M4 and with the tailbacks west of J12, people came off there and cut through town aiming to rejoin the A3290 which was near stationary due to all the traffic diverted around the lower earley relief road joining where it becomes the A329M at Winnersh - the queues all the way back down kings rd/IDR and on Bath/Oxford rd were that same queue
Whitespirit
Super Contributor

Post by Whitespirit »

ReadingBiker wrote:Becasue knowing J11 was solid with everyone being funneled off the M4 and with the tailbacks west of J12, people came off there and cut through town aiming to rejoin the A3290 which was near stationary due to all the traffic diverted around the lower earley relief road joining where it becomes the A329M at Winnersh - the queues all the way back down kings rd/IDR and on Bath/Oxford rd were that same queue
And of course the 'through traffic' on the A4 caused the IDR to stop moving meaning that nothing could come in from the north/Oxfordshire. And of course nothing could get out to the south because J11 was solid so no traffic could move anywhere. And no traffic could come in from the south, because J11 was solid.
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

I drive that way quite frequently, and it is always quite busy - sometimes completely jammed, although I can't see a logical pattern to this. I have seen a statement from the developers somewhere to the effect that the development will be near bus routes and the station so people living there won't need cars. But that's not how things work.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Problem is its 2 lots of traffic being funnelled into one via the Kings Rd junction and up to Cemetery Junction

And it then depends on the KRJ light phasing which is always out

If I pop over to Caversham or that way I go via the IDR / Caversham Rd as its usually the quickest route, and I always look at traffic going the opposite way
If heavy, I come back via the Forbury route – if its light I just re-trace the IDR route as I know from experience how the traffic flows

The annoying one is traveling that route late night / early morning (as I used to for quite a while) it’s the KRJ that holds traffic up (and that's after waiting ages at the Watlington ST junction) with the Forbury getting priority…even when there is nothing coming that way, which proves the light aren’t operated on sensors!

In fact, its interesting to drive around the town at about 1:30/2:00am and see what (how poor) the phasing of the lights are on
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Bannock wrote:

Yeah I know. But it wouldn't have had such an effect that side of town. It seems like you've basically written off any concerns about traffic. *sigh*
C8H10N4O2

Post by C8H10N4O2 »

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, "sigh" back at you, RT...since when didn't a traffic hiccup within in the greater Reading area NOT affect...basically anywhere else in the Greater Reading area...let alone Forbury/London Rd flow?!?
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

OLDMAN wrote:Problem is its 2 lots of traffic being funnelled into one via the Kings Rd junction and up to Cemetery Junction

And it then depends on the KRJ light phasing which is always out

If I pop over to Caversham or that way I go via the IDR / Caversham Rd as its usually the quickest route, and I always look at traffic going the opposite way
If heavy, I come back via the Forbury route – if its light I just re-trace the IDR route as I know from experience how the traffic flows

The annoying one is traveling that route late night / early morning (as I used to for quite a while) it’s the KRJ that holds traffic up (and that's after waiting ages at the Watlington ST junction) with the Forbury getting priority…even when there is nothing coming that way, which proves the light aren’t operated on sensors!

In fact, its interesting to drive around the town at about 1:30/2:00amand see what (how poor) the phasing of the lights are on
I've said this many many times. The lights at night in Reading are a joke (worse than usual if that's possible?), they just change on a fixed timescale totally irrelevant of any traffic flow. Lost count at the number of times they change "under my nose", yet there is nothing waiting at the other roads. So basically go to green for empty roads forcing moving traffic to stop. The same happens with filters as well.
One prime example (out of many) is the junction of Honey End Lane & The Meadway, you sit there for ages watching an empty Meadway with a queue building up behind you. These sometimes "slip back" & allow traffic out of Honey End lane "on demand". However RBC get wind of this & soon change them back. This suggests this stupid phasing is done on purpose just to annoy drivers.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

buseng wrote:I've said this many many times. The lights at night in Reading are a joke (worse than usual if that's possible?), they just change on a fixed timescale totally irrelevant of any traffic flow. Lost count at the number of times they change "under my nose", yet there is nothing waiting at the other roads. So basically go to green for empty roads forcing moving traffic to stop. The same happens with filters as well.
One prime example (out of many) is the junction of Honey End Lane & The Meadway, you sit there for ages watching an empty Meadway with a queue building up behind you. These sometimes "slip back" & allow traffic out of Honey End lane "on demand". However RBC get wind of this & soon change them back. This suggests this stupid phasing is done on purpose just to annoy drivers.
I'm not sure about the "done on purpose just to annoy drivers" bit, but certainly the night time phasing is "illogical" as Mr Spock would say. Driving up the A33 of a mid to late evening, as I do reasonably frequently, I would say that evet set of lights from the Three Mile Cross turning up to at least Rose Kiln Lane seem to take no account of traffic and demand. I'm not to sure about the Mereoak turning ones either.
And yes, I know that some of these are outside RBC-land.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

C8H10N4O2 wrote:Unless I'm misunderstanding you, "sigh" back at you, RT...since when didn't a traffic hiccup within in the greater Reading area NOT affect...basically anywhere else in the Greater Reading area...let alone Forbury/London Rd flow?!?
That post reads terribly.

I'm doing the same trip tomorrow so I'll let you know if it's as bad or not with an open M4.
zag

Post by zag »

I'm pretty sure most of you seem to have missed the actual planning application here before commenting on traffic..... :whistle1:

So here is what the developer says:
Current traffic generation on the site is related to the two large commercial units operating on the
site. The Proposed Development will change the character of traffic flows generated by the site.
Morning peak flows are likely to increase, whilst flows throughout the rest of the day are likely to be
reduced. Annualised net flows are unlikely to increase significantly from existing flows given the
existing large scale retail land use and the significant levels of existing free car parking on the site.
and
The Proposed Development, although having a small element
of commercial land use, will be predominantly residential, including approximately 350 allotted
parking spaces.
To be honest, thats not a lot of extra cars if you think about it. Its probably only a hundred more than is currently there.

Its also worth mentioning these are pretty much walkable to the train station, so lots of people will have no need for cars.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

ReadingT wrote:
Bannock wrote:

Yeah I know. But it wouldn't have had such an effect that side of town. It seems like you've basically written off any concerns about traffic. *sigh*
The contents of the eastbound M4 being diverted past the Oracle, the Pru and off down London Road to the A3290 will have a major effect on traffic trying to enter that route form the prison/Forbury direction. Isn't that pretty obvious? it seems like you've basically written off the possibility of serious knock-on impacts from thousands of extra cars coming through town. *sigh*
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

zag wrote:I'm pretty sure most of you seem to have missed the actual planning application here before commenting on traffic..... :whistle1:

So here is what the developer says:
Current traffic generation on the site is related to the two large commercial units operating on the
site. The Proposed Development will change the character of traffic flows generated by the site.
Morning peak flows are likely to increase, whilst flows throughout the rest of the day are likely to be
reduced. Annualised net flows are unlikely to increase significantly from existing flows given the
existing large scale retail land use and the significant levels of existing free car parking on the site.
and
The Proposed Development, although having a small element
of commercial land use, will be predominantly residential, including approximately 350 allotted
parking spaces.
To be honest, thats not a lot of extra cars if you think about it. Its probably only a hundred more than is currently there.

Its also worth mentioning these are pretty much walkable to the train station, so lots of people will have no need for cars.
This bit is the problem though - the trouble Reading has is during the peak hours - annualised traffic numbers are far less relevant than "what will it do to rush hour ?" if 50% of those households with spaces drive to work that is 175 cars during the rush hour when very few people currently pop into toys-r-us or homebase for retail purposes.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Bannock wrote:
ReadingT wrote:
Bannock wrote:

The contents of the eastbound M4 being diverted past the Oracle, the Pru and off down London Road to the A3290 will have a major effect on traffic trying to enter that route form the prison/Forbury direction. Isn't that pretty obvious? it seems like you've basically written off the possibility of serious knock-on impacts from thousands of extra cars coming through town. *sigh*
This doesn't work. But nice attempt.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

ReadingT wrote:
Bannock wrote:
ReadingT wrote:
Bannock wrote:
??? No comprendo.

Anyway, the M4 closure had impacts right up to the Oxfordshire boundary past Caversham and Emmer Green. I'm struggling with how you think the road past the Forbury wouldn't be unusually congested on such a day.
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Expect more tonight - M4 shut again but between 8/9 & 10 this time
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

All of Early and Wokingham was gridlocked from it plus it was effecting traffic around Bracknell

IMHO Basically people trying to use different routes but then clogging them up
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

That is because if you are using google maps to do your directions it finds the quickest route, as that clogs up it chooses the next quickest, so that clogs up and ......

The power of technology means we now have the ability to efficiently fill all our roads with queues even the smallest cut through - rat run
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

This is the scale model they presented at their exhibition. Nothing really changed since the plans were first revealed. We did learn the roads through the development will be called Huntley St and Palmer St, which I'm surprised haven't been used already.

http://readingonthames.com/2016/10/11/h ... ve-update/
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

There's a Huntley Court off Erleigh Road I think
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Thanks for the pic Peterson, any more of the scale model?

I didn't realise how substantial this development was, and how much wider it actually is on the Kenavon Drive side. Sort of a wedge-shaped plot, but nonetheless I think it will add to the skyline appropriately.
zag

Post by zag »

Its actually amazing how many houses you can fit on a site like that, it isnt actually that large an area if you look on the map.
Image1.jpg
I agree though, it looks like a good development.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Bannock wrote:
ReadingT wrote:
Bannock wrote:
ReadingT wrote: Yeah I know. But it wouldn't have had such an effect that side of town. It seems like you've basically written off any concerns about traffic. *sigh*
??? No comprendo.

Anyway, the M4 closure had impacts right up to the Oxfordshire boundary past Caversham and Emmer Green. I'm struggling with how you think the road past the Forbury wouldn't be unusually congested on such a day.
I went and did the same trip and it was the same when the M4 was open. You're welcome.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

TBH that route around the back of the Forbury isn't the best about, some days its okay but most of the time it queues

Its why I tend to go around the IDR past the Oracle an through that way - but when the M4 is sad / shut its all comes to a halt there as well
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
monsento

Post by monsento »

Homebase has been taken over by Bunnings, they might stay or move instead of close.
zag

Re: L&Q Homebase & Toys R Us Redevelopment (Kenavon Drive)

Post by zag »

Updated first post with latest pictures and website

Also this will now be at least 25% social housing.
ash
Super Contributor

Re: L&Q Homebase & Toys R Us Redevelopment (Kenavon Drive)

Post by ash »

zag wrote: 28 Feb 2017 10:39 Updated first post with latest pictures and website

Also this will now be at least 25% social housing.
Thanks, appreciate the updates :goodposting:

Return to “Property developments in Reading”