L&Q Homebase & Toys R Us Redevelopment (Kenavon Drive)

ReadingT
Super Contributor

Re: L&Q Homebase & Toys R Us Redevelopment (Kenavon Drive)

Post by ReadingT »

buseng wrote: 15 Feb 2018 13:10
Jeff59 wrote: 15 Feb 2018 11:24
I'm entitled to my opinion, so who are you to question it? I say things as I see it.
I knew you'd say exactly that. Do you really need it explaining to you that an opinion expressed on a public message board has to actually contribute something meaningful and worthwhile to the discussion? Otherwise, it's just uninformed spite.

If you don't like a particular proposed development (or, God help us, a set of roadworks by Thames Water, or a new traffic management initiative by RBC), then fine, just go ahead and say so. But don't start spitefully conjecturing about the supposed 'reasons' behind the proposal when it's quite clear to anyone who has even the remotest familiarity with these sorts of projects that you have no idea what you're talking about. And, similarly, don't start maliciously smearing the professional competence of people doing highly complex and responsible jobs that you wouldn't have a clue how to begin.
You haven't posted on here since Nov 2015, so why come out of the woodwork now just to have a dig at me?
Maybe he finally had enough of your constant whining? And of course, I’m entitled to my opinion as you say. 😅
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

ReadingT wrote: 17 Feb 2018 21:51
buseng wrote: 15 Feb 2018 13:10
Jeff59 wrote: 15 Feb 2018 11:24
I'm entitled to my opinion, so who are you to question it? I say things as I see it.
I knew you'd say exactly that. Do you really need it explaining to you that an opinion expressed on a public message board has to actually contribute something meaningful and worthwhile to the discussion? Otherwise, it's just uninformed spite.

If you don't like a particular proposed development (or, God help us, a set of roadworks by Thames Water, or a new traffic management initiative by RBC), then fine, just go ahead and say so. But don't start spitefully conjecturing about the supposed 'reasons' behind the proposal when it's quite clear to anyone who has even the remotest familiarity with these sorts of projects that you have no idea what you're talking about. And, similarly, don't start maliciously smearing the professional competence of people doing highly complex and responsible jobs that you wouldn't have a clue how to begin.
You haven't posted on here since Nov 2015, so why come out of the woodwork now just to have a dig at me?
Maybe he finally had enough of your constant whining? And of course, I’m entitled to my opinion as you say. 😅
Was it absolutely necessary to come on here several days down the line & stir the "brown stuff". Or are you just trolling or bored or being a wind up merchant? I can think of better things to do on a Saturday night.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

buseng wrote: 18 Feb 2018 10:20 Was it absolutely necessary to come on here several days down the line & stir the "brown stuff". Or are you just trolling or bored or being a wind up merchant? I can think of better things to do on a Saturday night.
There's no time limit on when members refer to previous posts Buseng.... in fact just this morning I've been scrolling through the ''Fish & Chips'' Topic because a New Name appeared on it - so I was refreshing what had gone before. :)
There's no such thing as a free lunch
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

piwacket wrote: 18 Feb 2018 12:32
buseng wrote: 18 Feb 2018 10:20 Was it absolutely necessary to come on here several days down the line & stir the "brown stuff". Or are you just trolling or bored or being a wind up merchant? I can think of better things to do on a Saturday night.
There's no time limit on when members refer to previous posts Buseng.... in fact just this morning I've been scrolling through the ''Fish & Chips'' Topic because a New Name appeared on it - so I was refreshing what had gone before. :)
Yes, I saw the fish & chip one. However to come back after a few days with the sole intention of posting a personal sarcastic wind up remark is a different matter altogether. It is also totally OT.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Sole intention - fish shops? Maw hahah haha. Good pun, even if it was unintended. Sorry Bus, I just find unintended word associations in a sentence, funny.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

I don’t come on here everyday, buseng, so I couldn’t have made my comment earlier than I did. I’m glad you didn’t take it to heart though. 😉
Urban myth
Super Contributor

Post by Urban myth »

Really hope that this development opens up and makes the most of the waterfront. Love it or not the Oracle is the only part in the town centre where the river complements its surroundings. If nothing else it will mean less cover for the drug dealers and rats and for the bushes to be used as alternative litter bins.
johnH
Site Admin

Post by johnH »

Site just waiting for demolition !

homebase1.jpg
homebase2.jpg
homebase3.jpg
homebase4.jpg
homebase5.jpg
Toys r Us 2.jpg
Toys r Us 3.jpg
Toys r Us 4.jpg
Toys r Us 5.jpg
Toys r Us 7.jpg
Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Hope they consider removing some of this superfluous signage.
Signage 2
Signage 2
Signage 1
Signage 1
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Urban myth wrote: 23 Feb 2018 20:34 Really hope that this development opens up and makes the most of the waterfront. Love it or not the Oracle is the only part in the town centre where the river complements its surroundings. If nothing else it will mean less cover for the drug dealers and rats and for the bushes to be used as alternative litter bins.
Agreed. We never really make the most of the Kennet or Thames in Reading. I love a little visit to the Fishermans Cottage or Jolly Anglers especially in the summer. BUT, all those years ago - who decided it was a good idea to build that awful estate on Orts Road? Absolutely ruins that area.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

When the housing was first built at Orts Rd it was to replace a rough slum area of tiny, terraced housing etc.

At first its was a nice area, I knew quite a few people which moved there

But it rapidly went downhill as there was a lot of 'council' housing, and some of the tenants weren't the best, and decent poelp moved out / on ASAP because of that

Shame really
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

See also Ward Royal in Windsor. Replaced slum dwellings which were extensively flooded in 1947 - the flats were, and still are, very nice inside, but the development turned into a giant public urinal.
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Basically the closer you were to Huntley & Palmer the older (and therefore more basic) the terrace houses were, the houses in the surviving terrace roads further along are all 1890's vintage and bit nicer.

If you can find "Newtown: A Photographic Journey In Reading 1974" it has pictures of every building demolished in that area to create the new housing - even the front cover gives you an idea of what was there prior.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

It was very dire - we used to play down there as kids in the empty houses (some where still inhabited) - very dangerous at the time as mostly derelict........plus -

They also got used by tramps etc. both to doss in, or as toilets!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Finally got approval from the Secretary of State and work is due to start on the new development in the new year:

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... een-light/
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Urban myth
Super Contributor

Post by Urban myth »

Site clearance has started on this with all the shrubbery and trees around the perimeter of Homebase being cut down. This in itself is good as it will give less cover for undesirables both human and rodent form. (though they will move somewhere else) Hopefully the finished development will give new life and vibrancy to the riverside particularly if the Arts vision for the old prison site on the other side can be fulfilled.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Urban myth wrote: 06 Dec 2018 08:34 Site clearance has started on this with all the shrubbery and trees around the perimeter of Homebase being cut down. This in itself is good as it will give less cover for undesirables both human and rodent form. (though they will move somewhere else) Hopefully the finished development will give new life and vibrancy to the riverside particularly if the Arts vision for the old prison site on the other side can be fulfilled.
And then it will be ruined by MRT.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Melchett wrote: 07 Dec 2018 08:35
Urban myth wrote: 06 Dec 2018 08:34 Site clearance has started on this with all the shrubbery and trees around the perimeter of Homebase being cut down. This in itself is good as it will give less cover for undesirables both human and rodent form. (though they will move somewhere else) Hopefully the finished development will give new life and vibrancy to the riverside particularly if the Arts vision for the old prison site on the other side can be fulfilled.
And then it will be ruined by MRT.
How?

The MRT ‘construction’ will end / blend into Napier Rd so in a different place the opposite side of the railway embankment

So this development has the embankment / Forbury Retail Park and Kenavon Dr between it and the MRT

I doubt they would even be able to see it from this, never mind be effected!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Work to finally begin by the end of this year and complete by 2022.

https://t.co/gjVJ5n0bQH?amp=1
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

OneGorman wrote: 29 Oct 2019 09:21 Work to finally begin by the end of this year and complete by 2022.

Wrong site!
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

KeithW wrote: 29 Oct 2019 09:45
OneGorman wrote: 29 Oct 2019 09:21 Work to finally begin by the end of this year and complete by 2022.

Wrong site!
Yes, it refers to the old Iceland/Wickes site in Weldale St.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Sorry. The tweet corrected itself before I pasted the link.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Builders still on site today...
MrsKaur
Contributor

Post by MrsKaur »

I've heard property developers are keen to re-start work on sites as it'll help the supply chain and encourage the economy.
thegoodmrbrodie!
Contributor

Post by thegoodmrbrodie! »

it never stopped on this site. I can see the cranes from my window, and they are moving every week day.
sarahbentley
Contributor

Post by sarahbentley »

Just seeing all the buildings pop up, I fear for the traffic in the area on peak times. Entering the retail parks can be tricky enough already on weekends. I wonder if Traffic Department will look at introducing new traffic lights near the roundabout or other changes
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

sarahbentley wrote: 11 Jan 2022 10:56 Just seeing all the buildings pop up, I fear for the traffic in the area on peak times. Entering the retail parks can be tricky enough already on weekends. I wonder if Traffic Department will look at introducing new traffic lights near the roundabout or other changes
Probably a sure fire thing they'll put in traffic lights. Traffic lights are much of Reading's problems when it comes to congestion. Why have a roundabout that allow traffic to flow when you bring it to a grinding halt so you can justify a congestion charge in the future.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 31 Jan 2022 10:45Traffic lights are much of Reading's problems when it comes to congestion. Why have a roundabout that allow traffic to flow when you bring it to a grinding halt so you can justify a congestion charge in the future.
It's not all about vehicular traffic. Signals are important where there is reasonable pedestrian traffic to allow safe crossing.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Souwester wrote: 31 Jan 2022 14:02
ChipbuttyG wrote: 31 Jan 2022 10:45Traffic lights are much of Reading's problems when it comes to congestion. Why have a roundabout that allow traffic to flow when you bring it to a grinding halt so you can justify a congestion charge in the future.
It's not all about vehicular traffic. Signals are important where there is reasonable pedestrian traffic to allow safe crossing.
Good point. Crossing there, even with the carriageway refuges, can be tricky. Outside of busy periods roundabouts can work well, but when the main road has a continuous flow, the minor road traffic backs up. Smart (MOVA) traffic lights, especially linked across a wide area should be capable of reducing queuing times and be better than roundabouts. It’s horses for courses as to which junctions work better with one or the other. Driving around and not just in Reading, there an awful lot of roundabouts with permanent traffic lights. The bottom line is that there are just too many of us driving around and at the same time.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

I have had a bit of a change of mind about this development. When I first saw the buildings going up, I thought they looked grey and out of place.

But then I drove that way a few days ago, and something about the massing of the buildings obviously tickled a long disused synapse, and memories of what the old biscuit factory looked like came flooding back. I realised that the development is to an extent returning the feel of that part of town back to what I remember when I first came to live in Reading, with significantly sized (specifically height wise) buildings giving a much more urban feel.

Whilst I still have reservations about the rather dour colour, I now think it is a distinct improvement over the retail sheds and parking lots that we have lived with for the past forty(?) years. Anybody else remember the old factory and feel the same?.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

I agree that they have a sense of place. The balconies seem a touch odd as they overlap. I wonder how the flats are heated. There are four substantial metal pipes running up the side which were belching vapours yesterday so I assume perhaps gas.
Last edited by C.A.Versham on 01 Feb 2022 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

chris_j_wood wrote: 31 Jan 2022 15:56 I have had a bit of a change of mind about this development. When I first saw the buildings going up, I thought they looked grey and out of place.

But then I drove that way a few days ago, and something about the massing of the buildings obviously tickled a long disused synapse, and memories of what the old biscuit factory looked like came flooding back. I realised that the development is to an extent returning the feel of that part of town back to what I remember when I first came to live in Reading, with significantly sized (specifically height wise) buildings giving a much more urban feel.

Whilst I still have reservations about the rather dour colour, I now think it is a distinct improvement over the retail sheds and parking lots that we have lived with for the past forty(?) years. Anybody else remember the old factory and feel the same?.
Yes.............
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Yes, the biscuit factory was decrepit and certainly not scenic. Partly the reason that they closed it.
The industrial complex was a vast improvement on H&P but pretty 80’s utilitarian.

Good that it is going to housing.
Many people will commute locally to town or other places and not need a vehicle
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Souwester wrote: 31 Jan 2022 14:02
Quite. But there are plenty of unnecessary traffic lights in Reading than hold up traffic for no reason whatsoever. It's a classic going through Reading when there are cars tailed back in both direction to allow one car out of Coley Avenue for instance.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”