New Aldi and Costa drive-through

maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Re: New Aldi and Costa drive-through

Post by maggieaitch »

I think the baby seat should face whoever is pushing the pram. I feel sorry for children facing forward and not able to see their carer.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

First buggies should include bassinets so they can lie down flat. If you’re happy to only spend £30 then that’s your lookout. I wouldn’t. We got an expensive hand me down from my sister as it goes! But bought a double buggy when number 2 arrived...from John Lewis!

Mothercare may very well go bust but my throwaway was that people always need baby stuff. Mothercare is always busy at the weekend and it has its place in the market. I get lots of clothes from Tesco or another supermarket but also Mothercare.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

maggieaitch wrote: 08 Feb 2018 19:11 I think the baby seat should face whoever is pushing the pram. I feel sorry for children facing forward and not able to see their carer.
Up to a certain age definitely. They benefit from seeing parent faces when young and then the big wide world when a bit older.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

maggieaitch wrote: 08 Feb 2018 19:11 I think the baby seat should face whoever is pushing the pram. I feel sorry for children facing forward and not able to see their carer.
Lots of pushchairs are reversible now so they can face whichever way....

Handle Height was important to us, a decent size shopping basket, the ability to grow with the child...the one my daughter chose goes from birth to 3 or 4 years Iirc, and the body of it goes flat so a bassinet isn't needed ( they grow out of them quickly and then it has to be stored, no fun if you have no loft ) Raincover is essential, think it also has a sunshade type thing included..( .I swear if I see one more baby being shielded from the sun by someones coat or even a Muslim, I'll scream, it can raise the temperature really dangerously ) The frame will also take the car seat for short trips....
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Er, Mayfield.... you might like to check your autocorrect...... :roflol3:
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

ReadingT wrote: 08 Feb 2018 19:50 First buggies should include bassinets so they can lie down flat. If you’re happy to only spend £30 then that’s your lookout.
It did go completely flat. There was no 'mattress', hence the blankets, but by about three months he was starting to enjoy sitting up and seeing the world - it was a very short term issue and not worth hundreds of pounds to resolve perfectly when a tenner's worth of blankets would do. It wasn't his only means of transport - he probably spent as much time being carried on our chests in a sling as he did in the pushchair, which dealt with the 'seeing your carer' issue.

I think most people massively underestimate the resilience of their children. Our elder one never had a pushchair. She grew up in a country where they're not really viable (pavements clogged with street vendors and parked motorbikes, and no ramps anywhere). She was carried until she was old enough to walk, then she walked unless it was too far. If it was too far she got a bus or rode pillion on a motorbike (normal from about age 3, with no helmets!). She moved here aged 4, but still doesn't really understand why she never sees kids on motorbikes in England.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

cnb wrote: 08 Feb 2018 21:12
ReadingT wrote: 08 Feb 2018 19:50 First buggies should include bassinets so they can lie down flat. If you’re happy to only spend £30 then that’s your lookout.
It did go completely flat. There was no 'mattress', hence the blankets, but by about three months he was starting to enjoy sitting up and seeing the world - it was a very short term issue and not worth hundreds of pounds to resolve perfectly when a tenner's worth of blankets would do. It wasn't his only means of transport - he probably spent as much time being carried on our chests in a sling as he did in the pushchair, which dealt with the 'seeing your carer' issue.

I think most people massively underestimate the resilience of their children. Our elder one never had a pushchair. She grew up in a country where they're not really viable (pavements clogged with street vendors and parked motorbikes, and no ramps anywhere). She was carried until she was old enough to walk, then she walked unless it was too far. If it was too far she got a bus or rode pillion on a motorbike (normal from about age 3, with no helmets!). She moved here aged 4, but still doesn't really understand why she never sees kids on motorbikes in England.
Of course you’ll be defensive as you’ve taken a different, cheaper approach.

Children are indeed resilient. Babies aren’t though.
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 08 Feb 2018 18:39 What would YOU consider must haves? For me, it’s foldability, one handed. Then in descending order, weight, size, manoeuvrability, flexibility (to convert from pram style, car seat style through to stroller style). Then the more ‘would be nice to haves’ - adjustable handles, some kind of tray or net sling to carry a few essentials, and a rain cover.
Anything else?
There's no universal perfect pushchair, as some things can't be done. You can't have a small pushchair that carries a car seat, for example, because the car seat is necessarily big to meet the safety requirements. There are basically three types: ones that completely fold, but as a result compromise on lots of other things; ones that are big and capable, but inherently larger and heavier; and ones that try to sit somewhere in the middle, light and foldable to a degree. Our first pushchair, the GBP30 one, was the last type, and in hindsight wasn't the right thing for us. We now have one each of the first and second types, and that works better in our case.

When buying the big one our top priority was making sure it could take a heavy kid and a reasonable amount of shopping both on road and off, and second was that it was adjustable and stable enough to be pushed by me (5'10"), my wife (5'4") or our daughter (then aged 5). Size, weight and foldability weren't really important - when they matter, we use the other pushchair.

If I was buying the folding one, Ideally I'd have liked something lighter and that could be folded without the daft one-leg operation. I'm not sure such a thing exists - I think the foot-pedal folding is a safety feature that others also have, and most lighter ones seem to be designed for very light babies only.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Mayfield wrote: 08 Feb 2018 20:52

Handle Height was important to us, a decent size shopping basket, the ability to grow with the child...the one my daughter chose goes from birth to 3 or 4 years Iirc, and the body of it goes flat so a bassinet isn't needed ( they grow out of them quickly and then it has to be stored, no fun if you have no loft ) Raincover is essential, think it also has a sunshade type thing included..( .I swear if I see one more baby being shielded from the sun by someones coat or even a Muslim, I'll scream, it can raise the temperature really dangerously ) The frame will also take the car seat for short trips....
Bad enough pushing a push chair with a child let alone a Muslim as well to keep the sun off. Better fit an electric motor as well to help going up hills. Perhaps D6 could invent one. (Sorry Mayfield I know what you meant just being silly.) :whistle1:
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

ReadingT wrote: 08 Feb 2018 21:29 Of course you’ll be defensive as you’ve taken a different, cheaper approach.

Even babies are much tougher than most people think they are.

Can you actually explain why a fancy bassinet-carrying pushchair is so important, and how the foam padding of that bassinet is better than blankets?
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

cnb wrote: 08 Feb 2018 21:48
ReadingT wrote: 08 Feb 2018 21:29 Of course you’ll be defensive as you’ve taken a different, cheaper approach.

Even babies are much tougher than most people think they are.

Can you actually explain why a fancy bassinet-carrying pushchair is so important, and how the foam padding of that bassinet is better than blankets?
Explain? It’s good sense.
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

Mayfield wrote: 08 Feb 2018 20:52 the ability to grow with the child...the one my daughter chose goes from birth to 3 or 4 years Iirc,
Almost every pushchair says it's suitable for up to 4 years old, but when you read the technical spec most say maximum 15kg. Oddly, the GBP1000 Bugaboo ones only go to 13kg - so you get even less use out of them than a cheaper one. The odd one on the market says 22kg or so, but they're rare and they're not obviously any stronger or more stable so I'm not sure where the figures come from.

Our son reached 15kg shortly after his first birthday. We intend to just keep using the same pushchair and hoping it doesn't break, as by 3 or 4 he's likely to be heavier than is technically permitted in any pushchair on the market.
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

ReadingT wrote: 08 Feb 2018 21:50
You mean 'I think it's important based on no evidence whatsoever'? Both are horizontal sheets of plywood with padding below and around the baby, and a 5-point harness to hold the child in place. Why is one substantially better than the other?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

PC49 wrote: 08 Feb 2018 21:44
Mayfield wrote: 08 Feb 2018 20:52

Handle Height was important to us, a decent size shopping basket, the ability to grow with the child...the one my daughter chose goes from birth to 3 or 4 years Iirc, and the body of it goes flat so a bassinet isn't needed ( they grow out of them quickly and then it has to be stored, no fun if you have no loft ) Raincover is essential, think it also has a sunshade type thing included..( .I swear if I see one more baby being shielded from the sun by someones coat or even a Muslim, I'll scream, it can raise the temperature Reallya dangerously ) The frame will also take the car seat for short trips....
Bad enough pushing a push chair with a child let alone a Muslim as well to keep the sun off. Better fit an electric motor as well to help going up hills. Perhaps D6 could invent one. (Sorry Mayfield I know what you meant just being silly.) :whistle1:
Predictive text and a my failure to check. Lol 🙂

The latest research says that tiny babies should be laid quite flat, and not even in car seats for more than a specified time ( which I now forget but I don't think is more than an hour )
Let's hope that by 3 or 4 years old most children will be spending the majority of their time walking...

One if the things the lady at Mothercare demonstrated was just what was under various car seat covers...I expect she'd take apart pushchairs too....😉
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

cnb wrote: 08 Feb 2018 22:13
ReadingT wrote: 08 Feb 2018 21:50
You mean 'I think it's important based on no evidence whatsoever'? Both are horizontal sheets of plywood with padding below and around the baby, and a 5-point harness to hold the child in place. Why is one substantially better than the other?
Based on plenty of evidence about baby development. But as I said, you’re on the defensive and prefer cheap things so I’d never convince you. No point in engaging with you properly. Best of luck to you and your equivalents.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Absolutely no idea!

Don’t have, nor at this age intend to have kids

Talking about it more to w/mate and he said the one they’ve got is ‘all-in’ which was a misunderstanding by me about his previous description of the purchases

It’s a car seat, that fits a set of wheels, but you also have a middle size and bigger seat part that fits the same wheels / chassis

Plus, it has removable sections so will cover a large age / size gap over time (if it lasts that long)
Should mean never having to buy another one

It is one handed fold as well

Sort of multi-functional

So, guessing for about £300 not bad – maybe even worth the £699 price if you look at it that way
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Now I hadn't even realised that Aldi and Costa sold pushchairs and babywear, but then, like Oldman, such things didn't enter my life! :wink:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

ReadingT wrote: 09 Feb 2018 00:11 Based on plenty of evidence about baby development. But as I said, you’re on the defensive and prefer cheap things so I’d never convince you. No point in engaging with you properly. Best of luck to you and your equivalents.
I explained why I thought my home-made thing was functionally equivalent to an expensive bassinet. You've told me that it's not equivalent, but not why.
So far you've managed an appeal to tradition (it's just good sense), and an appeal to unspecified authorities (there are lots of studies, but I'm not going to tell you which ones), an appeal to identity (you like cheap things, therefore you are incapable of understanding why expensive things are better), and an ad hominem (you won't understand so you're not worth discussing with).
I've almost completed my debating fallacies bingo card, so can we keep going?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Can we just call it a no score draw.. Most parents want the very best for their babies, different parents have different ideas about that and that is just fine.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Yeh, so how does this drive through Aldi work then?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

When we had our first child we bought a Britax pushchair. it was £125 and had a lie flat facility. However we spent £100 on the Carry Cot that could clip into the same frame, but we didn't buy a moses basket we used the carry cot. The car seat also clipped into it. and then it became a proper pushchair. We used that until our second child was 2 when I broke it by getting it stuck in a ditch crossing a road in Thailand. We then bought a secondhand quinny zapp off ebay as we liked the small compact size. Both of ours have walked pretty much everywhere since they were 3. When I get a minute to clean the Quinny it will go back on the market. The Bugaboo and ICandy to me are paying for the name.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Luckily my daughter is borrowing a crib and for night time has one of these side sleeper jobbies. Then she is being given a cot bed, frankly some people seem happy to have the space back....
NCT sales seem to be a good source of second hand stuff although some of the prices seem a bit imaginative ....

After the silver cross Pram I can only remember having a pushchair from the shop that was in the Street behind JL, long gone....
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

cnb wrote: 09 Feb 2018 09:50
ReadingT wrote: 09 Feb 2018 00:11 Based on plenty of evidence about baby development. But as I said, you’re on the defensive and prefer cheap things so I’d never convince you. No point in engaging with you properly. Best of luck to you and your equivalents.
I explained why I thought my home-made thing was functionally equivalent to an expensive bassinet. You've told me that it's not equivalent, but not why.
So far you've managed an appeal to tradition (it's just good sense), and an appeal to unspecified authorities (there are lots of studies, but I'm not going to tell you which ones), an appeal to identity (you like cheap things, therefore you are incapable of understanding why expensive things are better), and an ad hominem (you won't understand so you're not worth discussing with).
I've almost completed my debating fallacies bingo card, so can we keep going?
:roflol3: good stuff. 👍
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

OLDMAN wrote: 09 Feb 2018 10:18 Yeh, so how does this drive through Aldi work then?
You drive up to the window and ask for a large cappucino and a small pushchair :wink:
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

:goodposting:
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Pooneil wrote: 09 Feb 2018 16:00
OLDMAN wrote: 09 Feb 2018 10:18 Yeh, so how does this drive through Aldi work then?
You drive up to the window and ask for a large cappucino and a small pushchair :wink:
:roflol3:
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
GaryyHill
Super Contributor

Post by GaryyHill »

Visited this area on the weekend and the Aldi carpark seems small, not sure how many customers they’re expecting. It’ll be interesting to see how this impacts traffic in the area
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

I thought the Vastern Rd car park was policed to stop park and ride for the station? Never bother with Aldi or Lidl due to the time spent queuing - the minute it gets busy, they close half the tills! As for the Range - it's quicker to use the one in Basingstoke, and you get the bonus of Dunelm/Go Outdoors in walking distance of the car park too.
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Ollycat wrote: 12 Mar 2018 12:35 I thought the Vastern Rd car park was policed to stop park and ride for the station? Never bother with Aldi or Lidl due to the time spent queuing - the minute it gets busy, they close half the tills! As for the Range - it's quicker to use the one in Basingstoke, and you get the bonus of Dunelm/Go Outdoors in walking distance of the car park too.
I think there is a bit of confusion here

The 'new’ Aldi and Costa are the ones opening at Suttons Business Park

Costa has already opened and Aldi imminently
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Most aldi and lidl shops don't have massive car parks
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

Having spent 10 fruitless minutes driving around the Lidl Headley Road car park in Woodley on Saturday, I can't wait for this Aldi to open. Never had a problem parking at any of the other 'local' Aldi or Lidls, but the Woodley one with all the other shops, cafes and ParkRun users is always rammed. It's the worst Lidl around too. Basingstoke Road and the new one on the Bath Road are much better.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

TBH it depends on the time of day at Woodley Precinct

As you’ve mentioned the runners that park there and go off to the park take up nearly all the car-park which is a real nuisance to those wanting to shop

And more annoying is they aren’t allowed to use Woodford Park car parks!!!!!!!

It starts at 9:00am so means cars are parked before that – we have gone up about 1:00pm and they are only just getting back to their cars at that time

I am surprised the precinct / shop owners etc haven’t complained about it before now
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

Loving the drive through! It's very convenient.
The Aldi seems to be constantly busy, and I'm impressed with them.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

We use that Aldi weekly and I was there this morning...rather a shame about the turkey and plastic debacles this Christmas....but noticed people were still buying poultry there....
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

We use the Suttons Aldi in the week to get odds and ends (will pop in tonight on way home) then alternate between there and Asda for our full Sunday shop - but over the Xmas period we went to Aldi all the time with one exception of Lidl for odds and ends, but only as visiting the precinct

Never had a problem parking in there, and they open tills if it gets busy
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Property developments in Reading”