New Aldi and Costa drive-through

Alan

New Aldi and Costa drive-through

Post by Alan »

Quite unusual place for an Aldi and I think this is Reading's first drive-through coffee shop after the planned Costa at Forbury retail park didn't happen.

http://www.tvproperty.co.uk/news/aldi-s ... iness-park
h3mp
Super Contributor

Re: New Aldi and Costa drive-through

Post by h3mp »

I'd prefer a burger-king drive through :-)

Not a bad location for a supermarket.. the site was Rockwell Collins' warehouse but they've moved to Winnersh Triangle recently..
Mark. :drink7:
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Are Aldi trying to do a Tesco's?
We have the original one at Horncastle, one by TGI's in Vastern Road, a new one in Whitley I believe. Now this one.
C8H10N4O2

Post by C8H10N4O2 »

There's no other method but replication for increasing market-share in FMCG, bus.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

buseng wrote:Are Aldi trying to do a Tesco's?
We have the original one at Horncastle, one by TGI's in Vastern Road, a new one in Whitley I believe. Now this one.

This is the Whitley one - unless you are thinking of Lidl?

Edit to add - and they are all a few miles apart, unlike Tesco at a few yards!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

OLDMAN wrote:

This is on Suttons Business Park next to Brakes - there a new one next to Morrisons as well!

Plus the other 2 as mentioned.

I think they make quite a lot of sense in their Market Strategy for Reading - 3 main routes into town and one pretty much in town. They also locate near Lidl a lot which this achieves due to the one in Woodley.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

eddieed wrote:
OLDMAN wrote:

This is on Suttons Business Park next to Brakes - there a new one next to Morrisons as well!

Plus the other 2 as mentioned.

I think they make quite a lot of sense in their Market Strategy for Reading - 3 main routes into town and one pretty much in town. They also locate near Lidl a lot which this achieves due to the one in Woodley.
oops - didn't check the link as it didn't work for me yesterday, and I thought we already had a thread or mentioned the Suttons one as its been on the cards since last year

Still a distance between each!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

I read the title wrongly, and was wondering just how a drive-through Aldi would work?? :roflol3:
C8H10N4O2

Post by C8H10N4O2 »

Avis wrote:I read the title wrongly, and was wondering just how a drive-through Aldi would work?? :roflol3:
Same; I was looking forward to Click & Collect !
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Avis wrote:I read the title wrongly, and was wondering just how a drive-through Aldi would work?? :roflol3:
It's been tried before but without much success:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/4134346 ... am_raider/
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

More details about the proposed development:

http://www.suttonsbusinessparkretail.com/
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I did notice that Asda, lower earley have a click and collect service area.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

dave m wrote:I did notice that Asda, lower earley have a click and collect service area.
Its odd as they seem to have 3 variants and from what I've seen they go -

1. You go in the store, order your stuff on a touch screen then wait for someone to collect it and bring it to you, you then a pay and leave - height of lazy in my mind!
2. You order your stuff online, then go in the store for a click and collect service where they bring it to you
3. You order your stuff - guessing on-line, then pull up at a collect station in the car-park tell them you are there by intercom and they bring it out - you load your car and go
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

dave m wrote:I did notice that Asda, lower earley have a click and collect service area.
So has the one at The Meadway Precinct. Only recently opened.
The instore terminal is also still there.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

There's a notice outside saying Aldi will open 15th March. Possibly Costa will open the same day but it is not specifically mentioned.
h3mp
Super Contributor

Post by h3mp »

spectrum64 wrote: 05 Feb 2018 12:42 Possibly Costa will open the same day but it is not specifically mentioned.
Costa has been open for a while now..
Mark. :drink7:
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

Good. we use Aldi quite a lot but would prefer a local one as the town one isn’t always convenient!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I suspect the town centre one will really suffer, it seems so cramped compared with other branches I have been in...
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Maybe I'm having a senior moment here, but I cannot bring an Aldi in the town centre to mind. Where is it?.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

chris_j_wood wrote: 05 Feb 2018 18:22 Maybe I'm having a senior moment here, but I cannot bring an Aldi in the town centre to mind. Where is it?.
I think near TGI's in Caversham Road.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Vastern Road I understand
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 05 Feb 2018 18:00 I suspect the town centre one will really suffer, it seems so cramped compared with other branches I have been in...
The day we went in a few months back it was virtually empty ... which considering the lack of stock and the fact that all the veg & fruit was prepacked I wasn't surprised. I'd never been in Aldi before, and on that visit am certainly not tempted to go again.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I think a lot of the fruit and veg is pre packed because they are not the sort of operation that has room for the weighing, pricing routine that say Waitrose has...

I go to a branch on the outskirts of Oxford once a month which is bigger and more pleasant...except their trolleys are a nightmare, there are never enough.

Most things we have tried, we have liked and we repeat those. I find the town branch untidy sometimes and you certainly sometimes have to hunt for the stuff but on the whole not bad at all.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Ours has just been extended and had a big refit is always well stocked and it puts some other food stores in the shade. We’ve tried some things which we haven’t liked so we don’t get them again but the things we do like are great value. The staff are lovely too.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

The Alledged etc etc bought chateubriand in Aldi a few weeks back. A tenner. Good grief, it was fabulous. If you’d been served that in a restaurant and been charged sixty quid, you would still have been happy. We’ve had it a couple of,times since, and got one stashed away in the freezer for a special meal.

I got the Christmas .turkey crown from there and it was brilliant. The cheeses, chorizo, sliced meats and fancy desserts are all really very nice indeed. Gammon is good, the duck is much cheaper for the same brand, the chicken and eggs are free range and the steaks are nice too.

You have to use the veg within a couple or three days, but they are very cheap, especially if you get them when they have their super sixes etc.

The only thing I don’t rate is the minced beef (Waitrose is far better quality) and I’d rather spend a few extra pennie on meat rather than the fat that dribbles out.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

We used an Aldi (or Lidl, can't remember which) a few years ago when we were in mid Wales and tinned stuff was in tubs on the floor instead of shelves and with German labels on! Never bothered since, Aldi did try to get permission to build one locally but 'the powers that be' didn't think it suitable for a 'tourist spot' so we have an M & S instead which you need a mortgage to shop in.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 05 Feb 2018 22:46 ...so we have an M & S instead which you need a mortgage to shop in.
Pete.
As said previously, we have an M & S Foodstore just a few hundred yards away, so really like a “corner shop” :))
We don’t buy too much in there, although it’s tempting! However the quality is very good and their Fish is excellent and not particularly expensive, and their weekend deals of Dinner for two are excellent value with a bottle of wine included as well, which, as we’re not particularly wine drinkers, goes in the rack ready for visitors who do :)
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

>>>The only thing I don’t rate is the minced beef (Waitrose is far better quality) and I’d rather spend a few extra pennie on meat rather than the fat that dribbles out.<<<

We found the fat reduced mince OK and agree with you about the other stuff, our Christmas gammon came from Aldi and was a tenner...very good it was too.

Every now and then I go to Cookham, to Cowderys ( http://www.cowderysofcookham.co.uk ) who are an organic butcher...their meat is lovely, their bacon doesn't leach white liquid when it's cooked and their things like sausages and pies are really good too. Obviously it's not the cheapest place in the world but it's swings and roundabouts, if I save with what I have bought at Aldi then a bit extra elsewhere balances out.
I don't find most of the veg too bad at Aldi , but the tomatoes don't keep as well as Waitrose or Marks....

Pete, I think that may have been a Lidl, I was pretty put of in a similar manner when they first started.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

My first trip to a lidl about 15 years ago was kind of like shopping in east Germany when the wall was up
They have upped their game display wise, with in store bakeries etc, although it is still a pile it high system

I often buy aldi or lidl tools as they are ok within limits and I keep their spanners for lending out while I have my good stuff that doesn't get borrowed
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

We use both quite regularly, but prefer Lidl

But still do our main shop in Asda – just means we buy less in there, and as stated its swings / roundabouts with the cost / goods bought so balance out

The 2 Lidl’s we use the most are Basingstoke Rd and Woodley – both of which do loose vegetables (which some Waitrose’s have stopped doing by the way)

Plus love their fresh baked stuff

And it’s one of the few places to buy Mortadella plus a few other ‘exotic’ food stuffs

Also bought a few ‘hard goods’ (tools / knives / jacket etc) in them as can be very good value at low costs - just have to check what your buying, although these days a lot of stuff is ‘named’ goods

And I agree when they first started it was odd to shop in them – but that’s been sorted over time
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Costa Drive-thru almost ready in South Reading too. I don’t see the appeal myself. I am looking forward to the BK drive-thru though...
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OneHinton wrote: 06 Feb 2018 16:26 Costa Drive-thru almost ready in South Reading too. I don’t see the appeal myself. I am looking forward to the BK drive-thru though...
I can’t see the appeal either. But OH has just, out of curiosity walked down there and had a look, he says there doesn’t appear to be much parking space for Aldi and the Costa does have a seating area too... I suppose a lot of the people who work on the estate will welcome that?

What’s BK?
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

piwacket wrote: 06 Feb 2018 16:44 I can’t see the appeal either. But OH has just, out of curiosity walked down there and had a look, he says there doesn’t appear to be much parking space for Aldi and the Costa does have a seating area too... I suppose a lot of the people who work on the estate will welcome that?
There are 126 parking spaces for Aldi and Costa to share. It sounds like it's plenty - the stores are small and designed to get people through as quickly as possible.

That compares to 103 for the new Lidl on Bath Road and 200 shared by Aldi and the Trooper Potts pub in Whitley.
There are about 250 spaces at the Vastern Road site but they serve TGI Friday, Mothercare, Aldi, Majestic, and The Range. Even when Aldi is busy there are normally less than half the spaces in use, though I expect there are more customers arriving by bus, bike, and on foot at that store than there will be at Suttons.
piwacket wrote: 06 Feb 2018 16:44 What’s BK?
Burger King
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I'd suggest that the reason so many spaces are empty in Vastern Road is because of the over zealous parking wardens...even people well within the time limit and with receipts are issued tickets and have to argue the toss. It's put quite a few people off shopping there.

Hoped the new Aldi would be bigger...
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

@ cnb - thanks!

Return to “Property developments in Reading”