BMW Site/Swan Heights (Napier Road)

OneGorman
Super Contributor

Re: BMW Site/Swan Heights (Napier Road)

Post by OneGorman »

Can we upload photos via smart phone? I work next door so can get some cracking shots, but I don't use a laptop ever these days.
Urban myth
Super Contributor

Post by Urban myth »

Demolition team were on site pretty much straight away. Would not have thought it would take too long to clear it.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

I’ve been told that the Council have done a deal with the developers to pinch some of the land for road widening in readiness for the mass transit thingy bobby which is going to make that road even worse on a weekend!

I’ve been stuck getting out of Tesco’s for an hour in the past. Ridiculous idea linking to that road.
Dai Brainbocs
Super Contributor

Post by Dai Brainbocs »

Widening it at the Vastern Road end with a bus lane down the middle was part of the second flats plan (i.e. the one that has now been revived) and discussed at the planning committee at that point.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

They’ve started the demolition of the car park. Can’t upload a photo from my phone, sadly.
Dai Brainbocs
Super Contributor

Post by Dai Brainbocs »

This might be standard practice, but pleased to see they are laying the dust with sprinklers while doing the demolition.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Dai Brainbocs wrote: 19 Jun 2018 10:56 This might be standard practice, but pleased to see they are laying the dust with sprinklers while doing the demolition.
Generally standard practise but even more so when in close proximity to a railway line. They have to meet very strict guidelines for demolition and construction.
Urban myth
Super Contributor

Post by Urban myth »

Looks like they are starting ground works for the foundations. Will be interesting to see its progress whenever travelling on the train to London
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

I’ll try and get a weekly photo from the 9th floor of Reading Bridge House for you all. It’s just having to upload it from work as I use my phone usually and can’t seem to upload from here.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

OneGorman wrote: 09 Aug 2018 15:40 I’ll try and get a weekly photo from the 9th floor of Reading Bridge House for you all. It’s just having to upload it from work as I use my phone usually and can’t seem to upload from here.
Thanks, OneGorman, much appreciated. Will be interesting to see this tower go up, as it will undoubtedly change the town's skyline even further.
Urban myth
Super Contributor

Post by Urban myth »

Tower crane now being assembled on site. Be interesting to see how visible it is from different parts of town when up. Must also be a bit tricky with the overhead railway electric lines next door as well.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

The spine of the main tower (23 stories) is now at 12 floors. As thought, this tower will be double the height of the Thames Tower next door.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Let's hope they improve the roundabout. I propose three lanes at the end instead of two. One for left, one for straight on and one for right over Reading Bridge. I doubt that will happen though.....oh and the council still have put new road markings around there, you can barely see them now...
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

There was something on GetReading a few weeks ago saying the roundabout was going to be looked at.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

OneGorman wrote: 09 Aug 2018 15:40 I’ll try and get a weekly photo from the 9th floor of Reading Bridge House for you all. It’s just having to upload it from work as I use my phone usually and can’t seem to upload from here.
Sorry this never happened. I quit a week or so later and they’ve since gone out of business.

Love driving by once a week though and seeing it go up. It’s gunna be tall...
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

OneGorman wrote: 22 Feb 2019 17:35 There was something on GetReading a few weeks ago saying the roundabout was going to be looked at.
This is what I think they plan to do. There’s two drawing, before and after. You couldn’t pay me to cycle round it, even with the new markings.
https://democracy.reading.gov.uk/docume ... rawing.pdf
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

The new proposal still only shows two lanes out of Napier Road. Knew it.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Spine up to 16 floors now. It’s gunna be a lot taller than the images suggested. I did challenge it at the The time to. I like tall buildings so it’s a bigger like from me.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

OneGorman wrote: 02 Mar 2019 00:08 Spine up to 16 floors now. It’s gunna be a lot taller than the images suggested. I did challenge it at the The time to. I like tall buildings so it’s a bigger like from me.
Isn't it going to be 23 storeys, so the same as the images they have already released?
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

ash wrote: 02 Mar 2019 00:38
OneGorman wrote: 02 Mar 2019 00:08 Spine up to 16 floors now. It’s gunna be a lot taller than the images suggested. I did challenge it at the The time to. I like tall buildings so it’s a bigger like from me.
Isn't it going to be 23 storeys, so the same as the images they have already released?
Thats right. There's two parts, 23 and 13 storeys. They have asked to add an extra floor to the lower one, it was 12.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Yes, but the image they put out suggested the 23 story tower wasn’t a great deal talker than Reading Bridge House which is 9 stories of offices. 16 floors already towers above RBH so 23 will be taller than the image initially suggested.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

OneGorman wrote: 04 Mar 2019 23:16
Yes, but the image they put out suggested the 23 story tower wasn’t a great deal talker than Reading Bridge House which is 9 stories of offices. 16 floors already towers above RBH so 23 will be taller than the image initially suggested.
I haven't seen the current progress in person yet. But after looking at the consented images of the new building, counting up 16 floors is definitely depicted as significantly taller than Reading Bridge House.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

The spine of the tallest tower is now at 22 floors. One more to go, and it really doesn’t look any taller than Verto’s 17 floors. Maybe it’s perception at this stage.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

On each you get over 15 floors, 30 cm difference in height floor to ceiling can add/subtract a couple of floors
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

07D4202D-498B-4212-868D-6C50BFB3E1B4.jpeg
It’s very prominent when you come past it. It’ll be a big statement building for Reading for people travelling past it on the train once complete.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Looks like a crematorium chimney.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Lizzy33 wrote: 23 Apr 2019 16:31It’ll be a big statement building
I'm afraid that when I see tall towers referred to as "big statement buildings", I'm rather reminded of Jean-Pierre... ;-)
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Lizzy33 wrote: 23 Apr 2019 16:31 07D4202D-498B-4212-868D-6C50BFB3E1B4.jpeg

It’s very prominent when you come past it. It’ll be a big statement building for Reading for people travelling past it on the train once complete.
One of the phase one buildings in Station Hill is seeking planning for 25 stories, two more than this build, and it sits on higher ground! Lovely stuff!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Pooneil wrote: 23 Apr 2019 17:16
Lizzy33 wrote: 23 Apr 2019 16:31It’ll be a big statement building
I'm afraid that when I see tall towers referred to as "big statement buildings", I'm rather reminded of Jean-Pierre... ;-)
Classic stuff. Thanks.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

It's a good job we've plenty of infrastructure and great roads to support all these additional people.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

OneGorman wrote: 23 Apr 2019 22:48
Lizzy33 wrote: 23 Apr 2019 16:31 07D4202D-498B-4212-868D-6C50BFB3E1B4.jpeg

One of the phase one buildings in Station Hill is seeking planning for 25 stories, two more than this build, and it sits on higher ground! Lovely stuff!
Which building is this? As far as I knew, Station Hill phase 1 will be on the Friars Walk site, so it will be the shorter residential blocks only. The ‘taller’ buildings will be on the later phases, although detailed planning for these have not been released.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

My bad, I’m thinking of the old Royal Mail site.
bluemondayuk
Super Contributor

Post by bluemondayuk »

It can be seen from the old Central Pool site now - it is big...
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Does anyone know how long the roadworks on the roundabout are likely to last ?
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

maggieaitch wrote: 26 Apr 2019 19:14 Does anyone know how long the roadworks on the roundabout are likely to last ?
What exactly are they doing there? Had to negotiate that today coming from Vasten Rd and the blind spots are a nightmare!

Return to “Property developments in Reading”