Verto (Kings Road)

bobby1413

Re: Kings Point (Kings Road)

Post by bobby1413 »

I preferred it before, it was vintage and retro looking.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

bobby1413 wrote: 19 Feb 2018 07:54 I preferred it before, it was vintage and retro looking.
You do mean this place?
KP-Old.png
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Took an odd shot of it on Saturday -
WP_20180217_10_22_59_Rich.jpg
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

ash wrote: 18 Feb 2018 18:17 Looking forward to seeing the finished building. To think what was there before!
Well to me, as a long time outsider who remembers the original being built, it seems that one high rise building that stood out like a sore thumb has now been replaced by an even higher one? Or am I missing something rather obvious? :?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 19 Feb 2018 15:38
ash wrote: 18 Feb 2018 18:17 Looking forward to seeing the finished building. To think what was there before!
Well to me, as a long time outsider who remembers the original being built, it seems that one high rise building that stood out like a sore thumb has now been replaced by an even higher one? Or am I missing something rather obvious? :?

Pete.
Nope Pete - that says it all as far as I'm concerned :)
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

The original building couldn’t really be classed as high rise tbf. It was dated and very ugly as well.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OneHinton wrote: 19 Feb 2018 21:33 ..... and very ugly as well.
.... so nothing new there then :whistle1:
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

I wouldn’t say the new building is ugly at all. Each to their own though.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I like the look of the new place in the renders

Be interesting to see what its like for real - once its revealed from under the scaffolding etc.
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 20 Feb 2018 08:07 I like the look of the new place in the renders

Be interesting to see what its like for real - once its revealed from under the scaffolding etc.
How about painting a box of Cornflakes and a box of Rice Crispies and standing them offset from each other .... that should do it .... and took about as much design skill ...
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I suppose it’s a bit like Marmite – love it or hate it – it’s still there!

TBH I like the idea they will have balconies on the new building, plus the roof gardens

Hopefully that will allow tubs and planning that will break up the look and make the place look better
Similar to the places just outside Basingstoke TC

And really………..which looks the better –
KP-3.jpg
KP-4.jpg
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

I'm sort of with pi - I'm not overly enamoured of the new design nor with what was there previously. The new building is clearly better than the old one, but rather in the way that a dislocated shoulder is better than a dislocated hip...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Agreed but again it is just one block for another. Can we not have some imagination in design like the “Gherkin “ or “The Shard” anything other than just square blocks springing up everywhere basically looking the same? Are there no innovative architects out there?
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Bob deBilda

Post by Bob deBilda »

PC49 wrote: 20 Feb 2018 21:43 Agreed but again it is just one block for another. Can we not have some imagination in design like the “Gherkin “ or “The Shard” anything other than just square blocks springing up everywhere basically looking the same? Are there no innovative architects out there?
It's about maximising profit. Nothing else.

Regards
Bob
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

PC49 wrote: 20 Feb 2018 21:43 Agreed but again it is just one block for another. Can we not have some imagination in design like the “Gherkin “ or “The Shard” anything other than just square blocks springing up everywhere basically looking the same? Are there no innovative architects out there?
I like the new building but completely see your point about originality. I've said it here before too. Google "amazing buildings" or "sky scrapers" for some examples of unique designs.

I know we are not Dubai, NYC or London. But it doesn't mean we can't aspire to have a smaller version of some of these unique landmark buildings.

It's precisely why I was so excited by The Arc design.
zag

Post by zag »

This building with its 3 rooftop gardens and stepped architecture was rather good, I thought.

I would certainly not put it in the 'boring' category.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

zag wrote: 22 Feb 2018 10:57 This building with its 3 rooftop gardens and stepped architecture was rather good, I thought.

... so can ‘we’ see those rooftop gardens, to enhance the view? -if not, then it’s just a boring block.
Jack Strop
Super Contributor

Post by Jack Strop »

Difficult to see what else they could have done with a relatively small footprint. At least it's not just a straight rectangular block, looks like there's been some design and architectural thought, seems as if the river frontage will be greatly improved and a huge improvement on what was there. Think there's a scale model in the Haslams office.
bobby1413

Post by bobby1413 »

piwacket wrote: 22 Feb 2018 12:40
zag wrote: 22 Feb 2018 10:57 This building with its 3 rooftop gardens and stepped architecture was rather good, I thought.

... so can ‘we’ see those rooftop gardens, to enhance the view? -if not, then it’s just a boring block.
It's far from a boring block
peterson
Super Contributor

Re: Verto (Kings Road)

Post by peterson »

The tower is just beginning to emerge from behind its sheeting. Looks reasonably promising...or perhaps it was the sunny day?!
Photo at the top of my blog post covering a round up of the latest developments:
http://readingonthames.com/2018/11/02/d ... autumn-18/
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

peterson wrote: 04 Nov 2018 21:37 The tower is just beginning to emerge from behind its sheeting. Looks reasonably promising...or perhaps it was the sunny day?!
Photo at the top of my blog post covering a round up of the latest developments:
http://readingonthames.com/2018/11/02/d ... autumn-18/
Thanks Peterson for an interesting update :)
... so it’s emerging - still IMO as a boring block, with a cage around it- well that’s different I suppose :?
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

A photo I took yesterday:
2019-03-17 12.19.38 crop 4.jpg
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’m lucky I don’t have to see it 😄
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

While I don't much care for these sky-hutches and wonder if we'll just end up repeating history, it has to be said that this one does actually look very much like the artist's impression.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I took a different shot of it the other day -
NNN.JPG
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Blimey that looks bad.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Melchett wrote: 19 Mar 2019 09:11 Blimey that looks bad.
I'll choose to regard that as a comment on the architecture rather than my photography (or Oldman's). :-)
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

chris_j_wood wrote: 19 Mar 2019 11:50
Melchett wrote: 19 Mar 2019 09:11 Blimey that looks bad.
I'll choose to regard that as a comment on the architecture rather than my photography (or Oldman's). :-)
Correct! It just looks like a slightly more modern version of what was there before...
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

I walked past there yesterday, and thought it looked great. So I came home and downloaded the brochure from their website and have had a good look at it and have chosen my apartment - three bedrooms and a terrace, with a nice view.

There are no prices quoted - but that's OK, as I don't have any money!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

The great benefit of living in it is that you don’t have to look at it !
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

At the end of the day it does have some good features as a look and –
a. Its far better than the eyesore ‘Kings Point’ that was there (especially with the semi-boarded-up tyre / car wash place that was below it
b. Many won’t even notice when in a car going past
c. Nor see it well from a bus (I’ve tried to get a photo that way)
d. So only people that will actually see it are those walking (or cycling) down Watlington St or up from the Forbury towards Kings Rd
e. Or those coming in from Cemetery Junction direction

So how many on here do that on a daily, or even regular basis?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

I cycle past it most days (along Kennet side). I think it's quite nice from the ground level, the materials look decent and there's lots of glass which gives it a clean/modern look. I think when some green starts growing on the balconies and terraces, it'll look better too.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to live in it...but I'm not the target market.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

bert wrote: 19 Mar 2019 16:20 I think when some green starts growing on the balconies and terraces, it'll look better too.
So it’s emerged - haven’t gone past it yet. I still think it’s an eyesore, especially highlighted in OMs photo above :shrug1:
... and when ‘some green’ has grown it’ll probably discolour in the same way as the supreme eyesore, the Oracle, has done ... maybe this time the plants will be of the Mediterranean type, that don’t need watering ?
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

I think it looks good. A million miles better than the eyesore that was previously there (Kings Point).

I’m now looking forward to the 23 story (6 more tab. This) going up at the old BMW site. I enjoy watching a developing skyline!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

They should knock it down and build this instead :whistle1:
KingsPoinReading.jpg
KingsPoinReading.jpg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Property developments in Reading”